RPG # 15 - Reborn

Discussion in 'RPG #15 - The Artifact Of Kiri-Jolith' started by daraja, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Luther_the_Great

Luther_the_Great The Amazing

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    All of a sudden Miri grew quiet and whipped around to the east as if he had been struck by some unseen object coming out of that direction. He focused off into the distance as if he could pierce the gloom of the day and see things beyond visible sight. General Voltavian quickly assumed his meditative position. There was a long silence and the soldiers who dared to look on from a distance, while trying to act like they weren’t, were greatly confused as to what was going on.

Miri was the first to move. At length he spoke. “Your opinion general?”

“I was not prepared for he disturbance my lord. I was only able clear my thought just in time to catch the tail end of it. However, it is certain that it was our mage. I’m sure you checked the signature against the stone. Yet what it means to me is unclear. The image was a general haze with no clear direction that I could pinpoint under such conditions. I can only assume that she has set some high magic to work, though it was rather quick. If only I had been ready for it. Forgive me lord.”

“Do not trouble yourself about it, one cannot truly hear the great chorus on such a whim. It is not a thing to be casually grasped. Yet I believe you are right that this is indeed our mage. Yes I felt her signature and that of the stone and their voices are in union. Yet I believe more can be discerned than you may think. You say the signal was in a haze. Yet it merely felt that way as it came from more than one location. Yes and the signals were in perfect counter harmony.” He paused as if in contemplation before continuing.

“Yes the signals came from the east and were produced a great distance away from each other, roughly north and south I would guess. Beyond that I think we can assume this was not an attack. She this would have been an attack as we would have surely felt the counter attack or death throes of something powerful enough to warrant such magic... maybe a signal of some kind.” He went silent again.

“Yes general I think I see another reason behind the jumbled signal. There were other signatures mixed up in it, with the mage’s predominating. It was most certainly her spell, so why would other signatures be a part of the signal?”

The general was slow to answer. “Well if they did not collaborate on the spell, I would say they all timed some type of magic and released it at the same instant. And perhaps the spell of the mage Lunaleth was the greatest?”

“No general, they weren’t all magic users nor were the signals from magic. If you were in her position, taveling with a conspicuous company, and needed to get past a ring of supposed enemies what would you want to do?”

“Well I suppose I would…Where have they gone?”

“I’m not sure, but there were not enough signatures for the entire group. You continue on with your men and leave this to me. If she tries to do the same thing again I will be ready and then we will know for sure. I will send word of your knew orders once you reach the fort. I’m sure you are competent enough to make the proper arrangements concerning your men. You have done well general. Your service has become almost invaluable. See that it stays that way.”

And without even waiting for Voltavian to respond, he spurred his griffon and jumped into the air and flew off.

2. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Dack, Aelor, Chris, and Denathdar were the first to arrive. Dack thought he understood Luna's thinking. She sent Denathdar, their second mage, with two of their most powerful group fighters, himself and Chris, as well as a more precise fighter, Aelor first because they'd make a well rounded group in case they needed to put down some hostiles. While she kept their two most precise fighters, Nyla and Dynami, as well as, arguably, their best group fighter, Aeleth, and herself, likely their stronger mage, back for a while longer, seeing as they'd be able to do more damage while any enemies were distracted by Dack, CHris and the others.

Either way Dack wasn't exactly thrilled to know he'd have to be the, somewhay, leader of this small group. He'd been relieved when Luna joined them because she was willing to be in command. Dack was a capable leader, but he rather enjoyed little responsibility. It didn't matter though, they wouldn't have to wait long for the others to arrive. So they set up camp, surveyed the area, and waited.

It wasn't long before the others arrived, sans Luna, to Dack's slight she-grin. Luckily however, they had a deffinate coarse planned out, so there wouldn't be any need for a real leader type. Luna would be joining them in three days. The message she left was somewhat cryptic, but he knew enoguh about mages to know it was best to not even ask how she would know where to find them.

They continued on for some time before it did get too dark to continue. So they set down for the night. Dack took first watch. His mind wandered over many things, mostly to the incident in that last city they'd been to. Not so much his actions, but those snarlies they'd had to face there. They'd been too damn tough for his liking. He'd fought similar foes sure, but nothing that could have prepared him for those. He wondered if they did make it to the treasure trove at the end of all of this, if he should wait for a while before going home, to try and find some way to help the people of Krynn fight those things effectively. He thought about this through his uneventful watch until it was Aeleth's turn to stand guard.

3. daraja

daraja Ghost

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    The last cloud of smoke vanished with the rest of her team, leaving Lunalath alone on her study. She could still see the shock in their eyes. Especially the misstrust in Dyami's. Perhaps she had thought Luna had now finally betrayed them. Though that was not the case, she just needed some time. And this was the only way to make some time and some time to gather more powers too. Being months on the road had weakened her. Almost half of her powers had vanished.
    For a moment she just stood there, thinking. Amongst the many wonders in her study, there was one object she needed to locate. She couldn't just think where she had put it though, 'cause this object was actually a being, though it had been magically made, and it could teleport itself in different places. But it never left the magical yard without Lunalath.
    Morten, my dear...where have you gone? Lunalath said in her mind, sending a mind message to ring in every corner of her house. A small voice answered. It came from the garden.
    In the garden, there was a small shadow had kneeled down next to a flowerbed. It was just caressing a red flower. With a smile it turned to its mother. Its face reminded a face of a young elven boy, a five year old in human terms. Its eyes were endlessly black, blacker than its smoky body, but its long white hair seemed to be flowing in the air all the time, as it was blown by the wind. But it was not windy that day.
    What do you wish of me mommy? it said with a sweet, but hollow voice. Lunalath went to the shadow child and took him in her arms.
    ''We will find some powers for mother, and then we will go for a vacation. You and me together'', she said to Morten. His black eyes started to glow, as if stars had just born inside them. But his eager grin was terrifying.

Morten sat on the big chair while Luna worked rushly, swinging his little legs that didn't reach the ground. He watched patiently as his mommy loaded her staff with new power, filled her bags with fresh magic ingredients, checked her wands, books and scrolls and finally prayed for Nuitari. Lunalath was maybe the only black mage on Krynn who also was the black gods priestess. It took the whole day, but finally Morten's mother was shimmering with power.
    The magical crow returned as soon as Luna had finished her rituals. It came sitting on her shoulder as she was watching outside her study's window. It told her about the spies following her. The new enemy, not the order of her fellow mages. Things were getting more complicated, more dangerous. But that gave Lunalath a nice feeling in the stomach, a feeling of challenge. The crow told her that these men were following her magic trail, hoping it would take them to where she was. She knew that they must have then noticed the teleportation spell, because some of it happened outside her house. None could see what happened inside her house, but as soon as she stepped outside it, they would see her if she made a spell. But right now, they had no idea about her new powers that she had gathered. She was half a step before them, but it wouldn't take much for them to take that step. Lunalath knew she had to be very careful from now on.

Morten was just rolling a small silver ball between his fingers when Lunalath kneeled infront of him and said:
    ''We should go now darling. Would you be a nice boy now and change your shape for mommy?'' The little shadow grinned again, revealing its sharp teeth and jumped from the chair and ran downstairs, eagerly like a real child. Lunalath blow a candle and walked to the garden. There was a shadowy creature waiting for her. It looked like a horse with wings, but its body was ethereal and its voice echoed. Its eyes were endlesly black.
    Lunalath jumped to the mounts back and said to it gently:
    ''Fly now Morten, we will visit some old friends at the Tower.''

With those words, they were off to the skies.

4. Nizati

Nizati ShadowDagger

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    While the others conversed, Luna came down the stairs and announced she was ready to transport the others… Hm. It was interesting that only Dyami voiced whether the decision was a good one…. Maybe she was the only one who actually worried about the path ahead. ''Dack, Chris, Aelor and Denathdar, come with me. You will go first. The rest of you, stay here and relax, this will take a while. After the process I need to rest for a while after I can send the others... I though it would be wise to send our strongest fighters ahead, and a mage too.” Well, if that wasn’t a knife in the back: Aelor... a stronger fighter then Aeleth or Dyami. She was sure this was more along the lines of trust instead of strength. But, Dyami once again decided to bite her tongue and even smiled as Aelor went off with the rest. To make sure she would not be double crossed, Dyami paid careful attention to the energy resonating from the teleportation spell, so that she would know if the spell was the same for her turn.

After it was over, both she and Nyla heard the mage collapse and went to make sure everything went well. The elven black mage had obviously pushed herself too far and passed out due to exhaustion. As Nyla lifted the mage to the bed, Dyami could see (and, obviously so could Nyla) that, Luna was indeed pregnant. Oh, there were so many ways that this turn of events can go extremely wrong. Would it be wrong to tell the others about this? Hm. At least Aelor would be thrilled… although if that child died, Dyami could see the overwhelming depression he would fall into. Ugh…. Curse this rotten predicament.

As the assassins waited for the mage to wake, both decided to look around the large room at the books and items that surrounded the large, salt-circled floor…. Dyami could feel the energies surrounding many of the magical items… a lot of them extremely dark. Again, Dyami could feel what small trust she had for the mage start to slide away. But, as she had already made her decision to go through the teleportation, Dyami decided to keep with her honor and turn a blind-eye to judgment…. For now.

After a couple hours, the white-haired mage did come around, and started her slow but deliberate work in creating her spell once again. Although Dyami disliked magic immensely, she could see that this spell was a major strain on Lunalath, and after a few moments hesitation, decided to help in any way possible. Finally, as darkness was falling around them, Lunalath was ready once again to perform her spell.

As magic rose all around them, Dyami couldn’t help but feel trapped within the circle, and a sensation near to claustrophobia started to grow within her. Then, just before the mage’s home disappeared forever, Luna slipped a note to Nyla, and calmly walked out of the circle, leaving the rest to travel without her. Before Dyami could even wonder what the black mage was thinking, the spell completely immersed them, forcing those still in the circle to exist solely in the stream of Lunalath’s power. Needless to say, the powerful magic overwhelmed Dyami’s senses, causing her to feel like some helpless cat, rudely thrown into the center of a cold lake… It took every inch of her will not to scream in absolute horror. Then, as Dyami felt the spell starting to finish, something else happened…..

the spell was starting to falter… Lunalath had become very weakened from the first time she performed the spell, maybe she did not have enough energy left to complete the second one. A violent shudder went through the group, threatening to ripe those in the circle into tiny peaces… Dyami had to do something to stabilize the spell or they would all perish…. Acting on panic and instinct, Dyami looked into the dark recesses of her being, and let out a pulse of frozen energy, giving the spell enough strength to finish it’s task and drop the trio off at their new location.

But, the second they did so, Dyami’s cat-like fury of coming out of the watery magic would be enough to frighten anyone. “May I see that.” Dyami said as she took the small note from Nyla
    :
    I will meet you in three days,
    no certain place where we meet;
    I have my ways to find you.
    Follow the map.

That was it?? No explanation?? Not even apologies for just... leaving?! As Dyami read, Nyla told of her confusion to the other. Dyami knew that her quietly seething anger would not be helpful for what she wanted to say about this entire situation. So instead, she closed her eyes for a moment and mentally felt out what she needed. “There is a steam not too far from here. I’m going to bathe. When I come back I would like I word with you all.” Dyami said in the midst of the others’ conversation.

“But, any stream around here will be flowing right from the mountaintops. It will be freez- -” Aelor said, stopping himself with Dyami’s meaningful glance. Of course the water will be freezing, that’s exactly what she wants. “… oh… Ok then. Just be safe.”

With a nod, Dyami was off. Ah.. The waters from the frozen peaks were a icy cleansing to Dyami’s frustrated nerves Luna’s echoing energy from her pores… Now, at least she had time to order her thoughts, and reflect on what happened…. At the end…. When all the magic was failing…. Did Dyami use some sort of magic of her own? Hopefully not… Even though it just happened, Dyami could not remember. For a moment, while thinking, she swore she felt someone peeking through the trees… it was probably nothing…. Now cleansed, Dyami made sure to leave some water in her hair, so that it freezes in soothing icicles, and went back to the others.

As she figured, everyone was filled with confusion and disappointment on Lunalath’s decision as they sat around the fire. Dyami, with a bit of anticipation, sat on a fallen log amongst the others, and waited for an appropriate time to speak. “I hate to say this, but I think we may need to reassess the importance of this quest, and the amount of trust we have put in our self-appointed leader.” It was enough to catch everyone’s attention. They all knew from the beginning that Dyami had a certain amount mistrust for the black mage. But, it was not like it was unfounded either. “I know that she has promised us treasures and magic beyond our imagination. But, has she shown us even a hint that we can trust her?” Dyami said, being blunt so that everyone could get all their questions off their backs.

Unsurprisingly, Aelor was the first. “We are traveling to bring my brother back! Lunalath loves him. And I… And I…” Dyami inwardly winced at seeing Aelor’s emotional wounds open again by Dyami’s logic.

Curse herself for torturing the poor half-elf, but this may be important. “I don’t doubt Luna’s love for your brother or her commitment to bringing him back. But I know as a fact that she has another objective by her own dark god. She would have been coming south whether or not the tragedy happened. Why she brings us along is probably because this is a quest she may not be able to fulfill on her own…. She may merely need our brute strength, or our number, or (Fate forbids), our living sacrifice.”

Then, it was Denathdar’s turn to speak after some thought. “Ok, so she seems to be a bit shady at times… From what I hear she’s been through a lot. Other then this last incident, what evidence do you have that she may betray us?”

This one at least was easy to answer. “For one, it would not be the first time she turned on us once she got what she wanted. She fought her hardest, and almost killed us. Chris, Dack, and even Aelor still carry the battle scars from that incident. And that was over a lesser object then what we are after now. From what I have seen of Lunalath’s character, she seems one who is only loyal to her god, herself, and more recently, even to her, her deceased lover.”

Then it was Nyla “How can you be so sure, Dyami? You shouldn’t jump to conclusions with her God and the fact she is a dark mage. You and I are both assassins, normally we will kill for a price. Not just that….” Nyla herself off, but Dyami knew what she was about to say… does the unborn child mean anything… Unfortunately, Dyami (and probably Nyla too) knew that just because one may carry an innocent, does not mean that they are good and innocent as well.

Dyami gave a sigh, and answered with all the calmness she could. To explain this one, she would have to explain herself a bit. “Hm. I wish I was getting paid as an assassin..... That way, i wouldn't have my heart in this. It is true, I am an assassin. In the Shadow blades, we were all trained to kill with silence and precision, but each of us were also specifically trained in another task as well, so that we could work more efficiently as a team; some were leaders, others were trapmasters. I was trained to spy, and learn about others…. Fighting styles… habits… mindset… Anything and everything to be able to know our enemies better then they know themselves. And, if you like, I could list all the reasons for my mistrust, but that will take a long, long time. If you have any doubts about me because of my lifestyle or my…. Lineage. Then I can assure you: although my character may be antisocial at times, I have always acted to the best interest of my comrades.”

With a sigh, Dyami decided to finish her arguement. "In the end, i think it's only fair that we demand some answers from Lunalath straight forward. I, for one, cannot stand being led blindly anymore. Will anyone stand with me?" Dyami was sure there a small fight will break out with her words, but if the group was to become more closer, a few skirmishes seems to be in order... Fate... Forgive if this is not the path you have chosen.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  5. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Dack and the others waited around for Dynami to return. Dack had a feeling he knew what was coming. Dynami was willing to accept Luna as a leader, but as far as he knew, the only one who would concievably walk through fire for the dark mage was Aelor, and that wasn't for her sake... He pushed the thought aside, He would at least hear what Dynami wanted to say, after all, the most dangerous thing he could do was assume.

Eventually she came back, and after some time, she finally desided to speak her mind. “I hate to say this, but I think we may need to reassess the importance of this quest, and the amount of trust we have put in our self-appointed leader.” It was enough to catch everyone’s attention. They all knew from the beginning that Dyami had a certain amount mistrust for the black mage. But, it was not like it was unfounded either. “I know that she has promised us treasures and magic beyond our imagination. But, has she shown us even a hint that we can trust her?”

“We are traveling to bring my brother back! Lunalath loves him. And I… And I…” Aelor said first, so young, this whole ordeal was the hardest on him, no doubt.

Dynami was quick to give her own arguement, the same happened in the case of Denathdar and Nyla. Dynami spoke of the wounds they'd recieved last time Luna turned on them. Dack subconsciously ran his fingers over the bruises he'd recieved facing Svartnir. Now Dack trusted Dynami's judgement, but at the same time, he, at the very least, didn't have any reason to doubt Luna's sincerity, despite her secrecy. He didn't speak until Dynami was able to finish her thought.

“But please, know this. I do not intend us to break from Luna and her quest yet… there is too much that could be lost. But, I just wish you to be on alert of Lunalath’s actions, and of everything in general I guess. As I’m sure you all have noticed, we are entering another time of shadow.”

There was a long pause, no one knowing quite what to say. Dack finally piped up, "To be totally fair, last time, we all knew what was coming." It was a slightly grim way of looking at it, but it was the honest truth, "Either way, I'd have to be a damn fool to think we didn't need to be ready for anything. I personally believe we can trust Luna not to open us up, but then again, I've misjudged plenty of folks in my time, and seeing as Dynami is the most skilled at reading people, I'd say we all aught to do what she says and be on our toes, but at the same time, let's don't jump to any conclusions, sometimes there's more danger in a doubting soldier, than a questionable leader."

6. daraja

daraja Ghost

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Aelor sat by the fire, not even really listening to what others had to say. He felt blood rush into his brains which 'caused a humming voice in his head, taking his thoughts out of reality.He was going to save his brother Svartnir, no matter what others said. He could well see why others had no fate on Lunalath. But at the same time he felt they had no trust on him either.
    They all think I'm just a fool, misguided by my feelings..they think I'm some child with false hope and naive dreams and... he thought to himself until he could bear no more. Dack was just speaking, when he jumped up from the ground and walked outside the fire's light, into darkness.
    I need to get out! he thought as he walked forward. He didn't care if someone would try to follow him. Maybe no one would, atleast he hoped so. He reached the river Dyami had bathed in and sat down by it. He just sat there long, thinking. Finally he looked to the sky and it's stars, homes of gods. Quietly he whispered:
    ''Help me, someone of you, if you can hear me. I don't care whether you're light or dark, just help me..''

For a long time it was nothing and Aelor almost fell asleep. But then, he herd or rather felt a small voice....and then it was gone.
    Nyla happened just to walk to him when the voice vanished. Aelor jumped from the ground and ran to Nyla and grabbed her into his embraze.
    ''I herd it Nyla, I herd it! Now I know that I'm right,'' he screamed at her eagerly.
    ''What did you hear darling?'' Nyla said with a laugh.
    ''Svartnir, he spoke to me, he told me that I'm not wrong'', Aelor said, now with a lower tone. ''Please don't tell them Nyla, they don't have to know..'' Nyla looked at Aelor, his enthuastic eyes and smile on his face. She could not deny what he asked of her. With a nod she promised, Aelor's secret would be safe with her.

Others were resting when the two friends returned. Aelor sat next to Dack and asked:
    ''What is your conclusion in this matter? Will you still travel with me or will you be on your way?''
    ''You can't seriously think you'd be able to find the place alone - -'' Dack started, but stopped when he noticed from Aelor's expression that this half-elf was too stubborn. His head could not be turned from this desicion.It was as if Aelor had had some confirmation to his beliefes.

7. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    As he got done speaking Aelor bolted off into the forest. Dack couldn't blame him, he was one of the only ones here who had anything to lose in this whole ordeal. Nyla went off after him. Everyone else would have too, but they collectively desided it would be better to give them some time, Aelor needed some time to think things through. Like they figured, he eventually came back, and now he looked more confident than Dack believed he'd ever seemed in everything that had happened so far.

Aelor sat down next to Dack and spoke, making sure everyone understood perfectly clearly what he'd desided. ''What is your conclusion in this matter? Will you still travel with me or will you be on your way?''

Dack started to try to convince him not to do anything rash, but then the tone Aelor had spoken in struck him, he knew that tone, Aelor had made up his mind and he'd be damned if anyone would convince him otherwise. Dack had used that tone himself plenty of times. Maybe he didn't give Aelor enough credit, he wasn't as traveled as him, but Aelor was far from the child he'd treated him as so far. Dack felt slightly ashamed, if it hadn't been for the respect the others had given him would he have turned out as tough as he had? It was time he started respecting Aelor the way Aelor had respected him.

Still, Dack couldn't help but smirk at Aelor's determination. The stubborn kid reminded Dack more and more of himself in him everyday. He was willing to continue on alone in this journey if he had to. Dack hadn't had any plans of leaving the group before, but now he had the deffinate hope of making sure Aelor's future was more, pleasant, than his had been. So he was the first to speak up "Well, if that's the way it's got to be, then sure, I'll continue, for Svartnir's sake if no one else's. Besides, it's not like I'm gonna get back to where I belong on my own."

8. Gil-Galad_360

Gil-Galad_360 Aran Noldorin

Mirkwood, keeping the woods free of Morgoth's mini
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Aeleth felt deep into his sleep, his dreams were about memories he thought lost: the White Tower of Esgalioth, the great battle of Vladsgath, the rise and fall of Thargaphen, etc. He was dreaming about something hidden within his mind when, all of a sudden, he felt an ominous presence behind him, it was not his imagination, he knew there was something behind him, it was dark, fell and definitely hostile; so, as fast as lightning, jumped from his chair unsheathed his swords and dealt a terrible slash with his left sword; should anyone be behind him, would have been cut in half by the waist.

It wasn’t even dawn, night was by the half and everyone seemed to be sleeping. “This beast is fast” Aeleth thought to himself sheathing his sword back into its scabbard. He would never sleep again inside Luna’s house.

As day broke and advanced, Lunalath made an announcement: ''I'm ready. Dack, Chris, Aelor and Denathdar, come with me. You will go first. The rest of you, stay here and relax, this will take a while. After the process I need to rest for a while after I can send the others... I though it would be wise to send our strongest fighters ahead, and a mage too. I hope no one disagrees with me''

Aeleth had enough arguments to debate Lunalath’s comment, for he knew his experience was enough to back him up but he was contempt to know the truth; so he just grinned slightly as he briefly reviewed his past experiences.

Then, the power of the spell sensibly vanished, and Aeleth could overhear Lunalath hitting the ground and gasping for air due to the effort she poured into the spell, and then, Dyami rushed upstairs to help her for, black mage and all, she was pregnant. Time passed, minutes turned into hours and Aeleth kept waiting.

Later, almost at noon, Nyla, the silver masked elf, went downstairs to get Aeleth, who was already waiting for his turn, she told him that they were going to be teleported; he raised an eyebrow at the explanation as he thought “I’d better be careful of not letting it to intervene” he then walked into the white circle on the floor alongside Dyami, Nyla and Lunalath herself who, in the last moment, stepped out of the circle and said she would catch up with the rest of the group later.

As they arrived to the designated spot, and Nyla and Aelor exchanged words, Aeleth regained his breath because of the weariness due to the powers struggle that fell upon him, attempting to crush his very bones into dust because of the spell Lunalath performed; he had faced dark mages before, he had even killed quite a few, there was nothing more opposed to his powers, ways and beliefs than a black robed mage and now, he had withstood the oppressive energy of one of the most powerful spells such a mage could cast upon a living being; needless to say, he felt tired, annoyed and thwarted by such craft.

As Aeleth recovered himself from the spell energy, Nyla gave Dyami a rugged paper, after Dyami read it, she had a burst of rage at was written in it; Aeleth immediately knew it was Lunalath related, Dyami seemed not to agree with the mage’s ways, maybe, just maybe in the same degree he did; she seemed to be troubled as she sat on a log and addressed the group:

“There is a steam not too far from here. I’m going to bathe. When I come back I would like I word with you all.” She said rising to her feet as everybody but Aeleth were conversing.

“But, any stream around here will be flowing right from the mountaintops. It will be freez- -” Aelor said, stopping at a glance from Dyami. “… Oh… Ok then. Just be safe.” He then said

“A bath” Aeleth thought as he grinned at Aelor’s meaningless concern; then he smelled himself; the stench was that of rotten blood, flesh and guts belonging to the slain unknown creatures the group had fought the day before. “Dyami went to the stream, I will head for the other side” he thought as he rose to his feet and headed to the snowy peaks.

What followed afterwards was indeed strange: a fiery blue glow could be seen, troubling the calm of the night from behind a peak.

Soon afterwards, Aeleth was back; not only he, but his clothes and his armour were stainless clean too and he was back at the campsite just in time to listen Dyami speak to the –confused and some even frustrated at Lunalath’s plan (Aeleth for example)- gathered group:

“I hate to say this, but I think we may need to reassess the importance of this quest, and the amount of trust we have put in our self-appointed leader.” She said expressing her unconformity with Luna’s ways.

“I know that she has promised us treasures and magic beyond our imagination. But, has she shown us even a hint that we can trust her?” She kept on explaining.

“Ah!” Aeleth thought, “Finally some reason shines upon this folly plan of bringing people from the dead” He thought on.

“We are travelling to bring my brother back! Lunalath loves him. And I… And I…” Aelor started to speak but then his words died in his mouth.

“Oh yes, you do” Thought Aeleth guessing the mage’s thoughts. The dead in question being Aelor’s brother, was enough explanation for him to speak up not only before everybody else, but rising to his feet too.

I don’t doubt Luna’s love for your brother or her commitment to bringing him back. But I know as a fact that she has another objective by her own dark god. She would have been coming south whether or not the tragedy happened. Why she brings us along is probably because this is a quest she may not be able to fulfil on her own…. She may merely need our brute strength, or our number, or (Fate forbids), our living sacrifice.” Dyami continued to plot her thoughts.

“Excellent” Aeleth thought with a grin.

“Ok, so she seems to be a bit shady at times… From what I hear she’s been through a lot. Other then this last incident, what evidence do you have that she may betray us?” Denathdar inquired.

Aeleth started to fathom where all this discussion would lead to but, unlike the others, he had plenty of experience in mutinies, and such memories even made him perform a slight smile.

“For one, it would not be the first time she turned on us once she got what she wanted. She fought her hardest, and almost killed us. Chris, Dack, and even Aelor still carry the battle scars from that incident. And that was over a lesser object then what we are after now. From what I have seen of Lunalath’s character, she seems one who is only loyal to her god, herself, and more recently, even to her, her deceased lover.”

Aeleth would let Dyami finish before he would say a word, he now knew more than enough to make his stand; he worked with Dyami before, and if there was any member of the group he would trust, that was her.

The latest of Dyami’s words struck Nyla this time who rose and spoke up:

“How can you be so sure Dyami? You shouldn’t jump to conclusions with her God and the fact she is a dark mage. You and I are both assassins; normally we will kill for a price. Not just that….” The masked elf stopped, leaving her last sentence in the mere start, this was definitely related to the fact that Lunalath was pregnant.

“Of course we should” Aeleth thought once again “pregnant does never mean free of guilt” he self-stated logics.

“Hmm…. I wish I was getting paid as an assassin..... That way, I wouldn't have my heart in this. It is true, I am an assassin. In the Shadow blades, we were all trained to kill with silence and precision, but each of us were also specifically trained in another task as well, so that we could work more efficiently as a team; some were leaders, others were trap masters. I was trained to spy, and learn about others…. Fighting styles… habits… mindset… Anything and everything to be able to know our enemies better then they know themselves. And, if you like, I could list all the reasons for my mistrust, but that will take a long, long time. If you have any doubts about me because of my lifestyle or my… lineage. Then I can assure you: although my character may be antisocial at times, I have always acted to the best interest of my comrades.”

Aeleth then was reminded of his fallen comrades, the oaths he took and all the night operations he had to perform; he had killed but it had always been either for greater good or to defend those he loved or was responsible for.

“In the end, I think it's only fair that we demand some answers from Lunalath straight forward. I, for one, cannot stand being led blindly anymore. Will anyone stand with me?" Said Dyami finally, sighing as she requested the group’s support.

“As a soldier, I should say my first loyalty belongs to my superior, but as a knight I cannot pledge myself unto a leader who is wicked or treacherous, needless to say that I have seen many try to bring their loved ones from amongst the dead and face the gruesome consequences that fall upon all those who think can play with the laws of life; hence I have to appeal to a higher moral: I have to stand for my comrades, thus, you have my support.” Said Aeleth, looking at Dyami straight to the eye.

If there was to be a fight, Aeleth was ready; he was rested, had recovered his strength and had the determination to fight for his choice.

9. Luther_the_Great

Luther_the_Great The Amazing

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    The night was deep as the company approached the lights of Thelgaard. The ominous walls did not seem to threaten them though, they were not there to besiege it but to be welcomed into it. The foremost men stopped at the main gate, which was barred for the night. A horn sounded and a voice was heard.

"Who comes before the gates of Thelgaard the mighty rampart of "(bla bla bla it was a rather long and needless gesture for they were expected. However formalities had to be endured to on such occasions).

After a business at the gates were settled and the company had been settled in its appointed spot (and matters such as housing and stabling were being settled by other commanders) Voltavian was summoned by the master of arms of Thelgaard (which was more of a mandatory curtsey visit).

They talked for the greater part of an hour. Most of the conversation dwelt on the doings of the world and matters that only military minds would find interesting. However, there was one point that the master of arms brought up that was more than idle chit chat (in fact the matter was foremost in his mind, though he tried not to show it).

For some time companies from Ghorr had been passing in and out of Thelgaard on their way to the North. They would go through, providing a large monetary compensation for “the trouble,” and then in a month or two (sometimes as soon as a few weeks), the companies would return. Of course this made little sense to anyone, the companies were not strong enough to attack any major city state nor did they stay away long enough to accomplish any significant task. A small fortune had been spent on housing them alone (which was one of the reasons large city states were willing to accept them), let alone the costs of the ships that took them up and down the coast.

The master of arms never got an answer he more than half believed, but now he had Voltavian to talk to. This was an odd circumstance indeed. His company had come through a little over one month before and now they were heading back. However, the master of arms had begun to feel that as these companies returned from whatever errand they were on, they were not quite the same as when they had first come through the city. It wasn’t the size of the groups, for this was meticulously counted, and nearly everyone who went out with the company came back with the company (a few of course were obligatory casualties of the road, which was unavoidable).

So the master of arms just casually mentioned the observation that the company seemed to be different somehow. He asked if he had picked up any new men along the way, though of course he had the troop count in his pocket. Voltavian replied that he couldn’t imagine what he meant, which meant of course that the conversation was over for both men. They politely said their good nights and left each other’s company.

But Voltavian did not go back to his men, he had already made the proper arrangements for his second in command to lead his troops to the sea. He had received a message from Miri upon arrival. He was seeking the stable gryphon that had brought the message, he would head out tonight. The second phase of the plan was about to begin.

10. Smurf

Smurf Finrod Felagund

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Denathdar drew closer to the campfire and closer into his thoughts, he let his mind slip into a meditative state. There seemed to be a bit of sceptisism towards Luna's leadership abilities on this journey. Stemming mostly from Dyami and frankly Denathdar couldn't blame her. He never trusted the black mages much, you never know what's going on inside their heads that's the trouble. He remained critical about the situation as ever he maintained that it was in someway his responsibility to bring a balance to any argument.
    He thought something and it was too tempting not to. That maybe Luna brought us all together to use us to her own ends and then to cast us aside when she was finished. That was a terrifying thought although it didn't leave his mind.

He came back into the world again and to his annoyance it was still snowing. He never got used to the mountain weather and thought that this wasn't a good time to start. He cursed Luna for deciding to teleport them all here. Staring into the fire Denathdar wrapped his cloak tightly around him and basked in the meagre heat there was. He promptly fell asleep.

It wasn't a deep or long sleep as Denathdar had to get up in a few hours to attend to some urgent business. With the absence of trees around he decided to find a rock or something. He quickly leaped up and grabbed his cloak, huddling it tightly around him to preserve the warmth. He muttered curses under his breath at the coldness as he walked. When he reached a place he felt that he no longer needed to which was a complete annoyance. Trudging through the snow he decided that he now was extremely annoyed at Luna for sending them deep into the mountains.

When he returned to the camp he was not subtle about his opinions as he was before.

11. daraja

daraja Ghost

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Blaa blaa

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  12. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Things were pretty silent for the rest of the night. Dack figured it was everyone not wanting to make anyone else feel uncomfortable since their oppinions were now set in stone. He didn't care though, he knew no bad would happen unless of coarse he was wrong about Luna, which he didn't figure, he would be, or at least he hoped that's how things turned out. As it stood the camp was pretty evenly divided, himself, Aelor, and Nyla had no doubts about Luna, well, that wasn't true, they just wouldn't question her motives. Aeleth, Dynami, and Denathdar all were suspicious, but for now they wouldn't act on it. Chris hadn't said anything, but Dack knew he wasn't overly fond of magic.

So for now they would just have to let it rest. No one was eager to split the group over, but at the same time no one was driving to greatly unite everyone either. So everyone turned in for the night. Dack took first watch as he had a habit of doing. While he was up he considered the consequences of a fracturing of the group. He had a feeling he could take any one member of the party in a contest of steel, but Chris and Aeleth were both large and skilled enough he wasn't eager to test that theory. He wasn't too sure about Denathdar, but the mage didn't seem overly dangerous, although Dack wouldn't count him out either, magic did work differently here than back home after all. Then there was Dynami, without a doubt the member of the group he had the most respect for, and he had a feeling her blade might be a little faster than his own, and it was deffinately more precise.

As for Luna's support base, the mage herself was extremely powerful, but she'd been acting very strangely lately, and Dack couldn't help but think something was up. He knew his own skills well, and wasn't worried about that. Aelor was no pushover, and was probably the most flexible combatant of the group. Of all of them Nyla was the only one he hadn't seen fight, but when they first met she tried to attack Chris, and Dack had won more than one fight on guts alone. So he guessed they'd be all evened up should things go sour. He decided to push the thought aside, he didn't want to see if that guess would be correct.

13. Nizati

Nizati ShadowDagger

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    The response Dyami received was not a surprising one: most did not seem to know what to think…. Well, with the exception of Aelor and Aeleth that is…. Dyami was truly comforted to see that her one-time partner agreed with her in the need for some answers. And thanked him after he had made his statement. And Aelor….. Oh Aelor….. Dyami knew that he would not take well to her deciding to openly question Lunalath. Especially since the cost of such an action may be the chance to see his brother again. But, his reaction was worse then she thought it would be: as she sat there, describing her reasons why, she saw his face become like stone she could almost feel the amount of frustration and anger he was holding up. Being a knife for hire, it is truly difficult for Dyami to feel guilt. Yet, at that moment, she felt it for this young, heart-strong elf. She had a feeling that any repore… any friendship…. Or anything else that was between them, may have been lost with just this decision.. As he stormed off, Dyami did all she could not to follow….. This world was filled with sorrow and disappointments… going to him now would not do his character any good.

After all was said and done, Dyami nodded and spoke again. “Very well… I am still going to question Luna openly as it would be a coward of me to simply talk behind her back. I need to know that I can trust her to not harm us when our backs are turned. For now though, I think we shall travel in the general direction she has given us… Though I think it would be wise scout the area ahead of us thoroughly and maybe travel on a different road.” Again, she gathered what information from the others as she can as this land was very foreign to her, and she was still unsure herself how they should proceed.

After that, Dyami noticed it was late and that there would be no travel today whatsoever. So, she helped the rest set camp…. That is when she saw the red mage, Denathdar shiver as he tried to get some sleep… ah the poor fellow…. Well, here in the mountainous woods, there was no sign of intelligent life for quite a ways, and the rest has seen what she looked like already….. Making up her mind, Dyami knelt beside him, took off her cloak, and pressed the ash-grey fabric against his red robe. After saying the appropriate words, her cloak changed to the same red colours of Denathdar’s, and then laid it across his shoulders. There.. for now he would be a bit warmer at least…. Dyami was rewarded with a chilling breeze rippled her loose clothing that she wore underneath. Ah…. So refreshing….

Looking for a place for her to sleep, she saw that Aelor was back, and now talking quietly with Dack. Something… something was very different about him… He was much more confident… Yet she felt that his new dislike for her has not subsided… if not, it had grown….. Again, Dyami felt a small pang of guilt before she went to the trees to give Aelor his space. There, she found Aeleth, becoming quite comfortable in a few of the branches…. Ah… it seems that she would have to get used to sharing the trees with Aeleth from now on as they both shared the same habit of sleeping above the forest. Aeleth looked up at her from his resting spot, and for a moment, she could see a small flash of silent disapproval as he saw her. Oh yes, Dyami remembered that expression when they first met. He was not fond of the fact that she was part-unholy creature and now that he could see her fully without disguise in the moonlight, he too was probably reminded of her physical nature…. But, his face quickly softened back to a passive seriousness, and Dyami spoke. “Aeleth, thank you again for your words tonight. Sometimes I feel that I am the only one who is reluctant to give trust where it is not earned….. Maybe it is just me. In either case, rest well, dawn will come soon enough.”

And with that, Dyami leaped to another tree to reflect on the actions and events of the day, and finally, to rest.

14. Smurf

Smurf Finrod Felagund

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    The sun breached the border of the horizon and its basking rays pierced into the morning. The day was relatively clear and in the mountains the sun helped to warm the air, what little it could from near freezing. Denathdar's nose rippled as he snored openly on the mountaintop while the warm sunlight melted icicles that had grown on Denathdar's nose. All this did, however, was to produce water which Denathdar promptly snorted into his nose on an inhale and got stuck in his throat. He sat bolt upright and started coughing violently and realised that his dream about the verdant fields of his homeland was in fact just a dream and he was still stuck on this freezing hell-hole. He wiped his nose and collected his senses, there was a heavier feeling on his shoulders and he felt around. He didn't even notice who it had came from the last night but he decided to not get it too wet in the snow. He looked over to the campfire which was completely out - no surprise there. He shuffled over and opened his pack, whilst getting out his morning rations he felt something more in his pack. They were the magic books that Lunalath had given him to read, he didn't remember if he had put them in there. He shrugged and retrieved his food, but also started reading the books. Spreading an occasional crumb here or there he turned the pages and soon became engrossed in the tome. This extra knowledge would prove no doubt useful in the coming trials.

He flipped the pages and memorized the information, a spell here or a rune there. Then as he turned another page a sentence caught his eye. It was a particularly important sentence, seeing as it was contained within special protective runes around the outside. He studied the word but to no avail, its secrets would be kept from Denathdar's prying eyes. This annoyed him and he strove harder to understand it, firstly by process of elimination. But he couldn't recongnise it as any language he knew, in fact whenever he tried to understand it his mind would always hit an almost "fuzzy" mental barrier. Whoever wanted this sentence protected did it extremely well.

Then it hit him, he had been such an idiot for not seeing it sooner. It seemed the runes on the border were protecting it with some sort of mental magic. This pleased Denathdar as mental magic was his speciality. Within moments he was tracing the trail of the spell through his mind. This required great concentration and he thanked the fact that he was on top of a mountain without distractions. So, on and on he traced through his mind; every moment was a risk at losing the trail and losing his mind, a thought which he shuddered at. His excitement was building as he felt nearing the foundations of the barrier and ultimately the "Key" to the barrier. He was starting to sweat as his concentration grew more and more focussed and his mind became more entwined in the mystic runes. The stress was unimaginable and he considered pulling out when he realised that he was near his goal. He bit his lip and screwed his eyes from the pain of exertion but in that moment his labours were rewarded.

There staring up at him from the page was the snetence.

"Ahhh! I get it now!"

Then Denathdar fainted from the exertion. His limp body fell to the snowy ground with a "flump".

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  15. Gil-Galad_360

Gil-Galad_360 Aran Noldorin

Mirkwood, keeping the woods free of Morgoth's mini
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Silence had taken over the group’s campsite; Chris lit a match, then his pipe and started to smoke his weed before he proceeded to sleep.

“Say, Aeleth, your name sounds familiar….I don’t know where have I heard it before, where are you from?

This was almost a bit of a surprise for Aeleth since nobody in the group had cared to ask anything about him before.

“I belong everywhere and nowhere, master Christopher.” The elf answered in a calm but stern tone.

“Fine, have it your own way then!” The Minotaur grunted.

Without saying a word, Aeleth walked away from the group to meditate.

It was obvious that a decision had to be taken about their next course of action in regard of their leader, but who would do what, Aeleth began to consider:

About what were they going to do with the black mage Lunalath, he didn’t know, if they managed to have her swear to her gods she is no betrayal, it would be the end of any further discussion.

As for the others, he had already read them quite well, Christopher was a good warrior but he didn’t consider the Minotaur a threat, the silver masked elf and Aelor would definitely side with Lunalath if anything went ill; Dack was a very powerful force to be taken lightly, Aeleth would try to speak to him first. Denathdar would rather talk than fight, and Dyami was the first one to place this doubt on the board.

With this, Aeleth looked for a good place to rest, ah the forests, he could hear the trees and mountains calling his name, and the night cold breeze sang its song under the silvery moon; so then Aeleth looked for a good tree and jumped to a branch from the ground, then to another and so on until he was high and well concealed enough for his taste.

Aeleth’s mind started to drift away to the depths of his memory as he was falling asleep, then Dyami came towards the tree, he wondered why since there were many other trees nearby, although her nature could not be more contrary to his, there was something in Dyami that was against her demonic heritage (now visible because of the lack of her cloak), maybe even she didn’t know; however, Aeleth knew she was a good comrade. After a few seconds, she was sitting on the branch next to him and spoke:

“Aeleth thank you again for your words tonight. Sometimes I feel that I am the only one who is reluctant to give trust where it is not earned….. Maybe it is just me. In either case, rest well, dawn will come soon enough.”

“Someone very wise once told me that a leader whose goals are not clear has an ill purpose for his followers. You are right in not trusting the mage so easily; however we should give her the benefit of the doubt, not before she swears on her gods of course. Rest well.” Said Aeleth and fell asleep.

His mind then dwelt in his past memories; the mountains have stirred a fell shadow from the past in his heart, a tragedy he would never forget, or forgive himself for…

A wounded emissary had been riding through the streets of the white city of Kheraltheer with an urgent message for General Aeleth who was assembling the army to deal a deadly strike to the king of the wastelands of the North. When the General received the message, he gathered all the troops he could muster on the go, armed himself and exited the city in full charge towards the forest near the roots of the mountains; there had been an ambush on unarmed civilians, but who was amongst them was what made Aeleth demand all the might of his horse making it pant with tiredness.

Perhaps…the sole thought was unbearable for Aeleth’s heart, he kept on riding until he and his company arrived at a terrible scene: orcs, lycanthropes and trolls had slaughtered their way trough the caravan, Aeleth dismounted and desperately checked the bodies, looking for someone, then a soul-tearing scream was heard, it was a woman, Aeleth ran like a rabid bear, slicing whatever stood on his path; a troll struck with his club with the might of a crumbling mountain, but Aeleth dodged the tremendous blow, jumped landing on the troll’s shoulder and stabbed his jugular all the way to the trachea in a split second with his large sword, he then jumped to the ground before the troll hit the soil with a thunderous thud twitching in agony.

Aeleth had gone berserk, he continued to butcher his way across the ambushers while his company followed behind.

The tracks of the pillage led him to a clearing, as he arrived he saw three orcs and a troll pick pocketing a royally dressed elven woman who was lying on the ground…

Aeleth screamed like a thunder that rocked the very earth, which echoed on the mountains as he snapped from his sleep, dealing the air a sword blow powerful enough to cut a stout oak down to size and startling everybody from their sleep onto their feet; making some of them, Chris for example, draw their weapons.

It was not even dawn…he hadn’t slept for long but he would not sleep again that day.

“I was late, I wasn’t there when I was needed….curse me forever…” He was now sure he had to go to the very place he swore never to….deeper into the mountains.
    Those were Aeleth’s thoughts when he heard the furious Minotaur’s voice shouting from below:

“Has anybody told you how lousy a rooster you are? Your singing sounds like as if someone was torturing a demon –with no offence-“he said as he directed his sight at Dyami, who gave Aeleth a puzzled look as this was totally untypical of the elf.

“Besides,” the Minotaur carried on lecturing “you do not even sing at dawn! You were too early, so let the birds do their job master elf!” growled Chris as he raised his axe, rested it on his shoulder and walked back towards the others who were not at all happy about the manner of their awakening.

Dyami on the other hand, understood there was something wrong with the ancient elf; he could see it in her eyes.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  16. Nizati

Nizati ShadowDagger

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    As she rested there, partially meditating, partially sleeping, a cry rang out and broke Dyami’s concentration. Instantly, she set her senses to search out the unknown enemy so that she could…… Wait….. Other then the group and some wildlife, there was no one there.

“I was late, I wasn’t there when I was needed….curse me forever…” She could hear Aeleth whisper to himself. It was then that Chris went on a rant about how lousy Aeleth was at waking the rest up, and soon everything was silent again as the rest more or less shrugged their shoulders and drifted back to sleep.

From where Dyami was perched, she could slightly see Aeleth through the branches, his perplexed face glowing in the moonlight. He too, could see her, although, if she calculated the branches correctly, only her ice-blue eyes, a bit of her face and a silhouette could be seen. “An old battle scar bothering you in your sleep?” She asked in a light tone, her voice barely carrying over the wind.

Aeleth looked at her for a moment, then grunted as he understood the meaning: Not all scars where physical, and those that could not be seen where sometimes the deepest of all. But, Dyami knew that Aeleth was not one to share his past on a whim, and was not surprised as he turned the tables while answering in a broad manner. “A very old scar… And you, Blue Demon of the Shadowblades.” He said, half-teasing her widely-known eastern title. “Do you hold any wounds that cannot be seen?”

“What cuts I have are covered in ice ‘til I feel them no more.” Dyami replied in a manner reflecting Aeleth’s. With a nod, Aeleth said no more and settled back into sleep. Dyami, too settled back down, but could not help thinking of the scars of everyone in the group: Dack…. Luna….Chris…. Nyla… even Denthadar seemed to have scars from the past. And of course, Aelor, who may not have the deepest cuts, but did in fact have the freshest one: A cut that opened back up easily and, as far as Daymi could see, was not healing properly. Pity: physical wounds were easy enough to treat… but the deeper ones…. Those, Dyami knew nothing on how to heal.

~*~

Dyami was wakened by the feel of a small, but intense form of magic. Her eyes followed her senses and found Denthadar huddled over a book, his eyes completely focused on what was written there. The magic….. It was difficult to describe… It was like watching a staring contest between the book and Denthadar: it was a magical stare-down to match wills. Although it may be a threat to Denthadar, the danger stopped there so Dyami decided to watch instead of intervene. Then, Dyami could feel whatever magic the book had was broken, and Denthadar was victorious. "Ahhh! I get it now!" Said the mage, in which saying so, collapsed face first into the snow….. Ugh…. Some Mages…… All brains but little practicality. Dyami quickly climbed down from her spot in the trees and to Denthadar’s side.

As the rest woke up, Dyami was already piling the fire wood to restart the fire. Of course, they asked why as they needed to get going and Dyami answered in her same logic that she always used. “I’m not sure what sort of spell Denthadar did, but it took a fair bit of his will and concentration…. Even to they point where he unwittingly raised his on body temperature and started to sweat. When he did come out of his trance and he passed out into the snow. If we don’t get him warm and dry, the sweat on his body will freeze and we would soon have a very sick mage on our hands.” The others, now understanding Dyami’s reasons, helped as well until a fire was going. About an hour of walking-time had slipped by as Dyami could feel Denthadar’s mind slip from unconsciousness to sleep…. At which time…… he started to snore…. Again. Dyami threw a small rock at him after the first couple saw-buzzing snorts and not much long after, they were traveling on a path that went in the same general direction as the one on the map.

Without anything to truly to note, the group had made their way down the path without break, and soon enough, it was mid-afternoon. Wait…. There was something out there….. Dyami offered to finally take a break (some, like Denthadar were more then grateful for a moment’s rest) and, she said that she was going to scout ahead. As Dyami often scouted ahead before, this was nothing new to the group and no questions were asked as she left to seek out for what she felt. After a few minutes, she found him: a green, unattractive being… was a bit larger then an orc…. An ogre… that’s what they were called. Dyami had heard of them and had seen some in the ranks of a few dark hoards, she has never seen them in their homes and towns….. Wait….. One fact about ogres that Dyami remembered was that they lived in towns... and were very…. Very… territorial. If this was their territory, and the group was spotted… Just at that moment, the sound of a rough, but ear-piercing horn echoed through the frigid forest. Oh no…. The group!!!!

Dyami dashed back as quickly as she could, but even as she ran, she could feel the energy from the chaotic fight. Ogres are usually not the smartest creatures from her understanding…. How did they spot the group so easily??? If they lived, she would have to find out. As she came upon them, what she found was worse then she could imagine: there must have been over fifty ogres there, all with an assortment of overly-large weapons and shouting in their language as they attacked the group she has left behind. And, from what she could sense…… more were coming…. There must be a much larger community in these mountains then she expected. They must have been placed far from the towns and have walked closer as they followed the trail…. Otherwise, Dyami would have felt them. Oh well, it’s too late now to analyze; Dyami threw a few daggers at an ogre that was about to creep up on one of comrades and then joined the fight with her rapier, large dagger, and her tail dagger.

“We are on their land!! We need to leave this area to stop them from attacking!” Dyami shouted over the hoard’s screams.

“Well then, where do we go?” said another as they shoved off one of the ogres.

Dyami’s mind was racing for an answer to that question herself…. It was difficult to say how deep the ogre’s territory was towards the oceans, and would be a bit of a gamble to try…. The same could be said about going North or South beside the mountains… And the mountains… it was doubtful that the ogres would live there, but…. the frigid mountains could be more dangerous then the ogres if they went the wrong way.

17. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    It wasn't long before they were moving again. This time at Dynami's behest for the good of Denathdar. Dack thought the mage was a bit goofy in the head, but he had to admit he sort of liked the guy, a nice change from the mages he was used to. So they walked for some time, through various brush and into the mountain side. It was there that they stopped for a rest. Dack could have kept going without difficulty, but he wasn't opposed to stopping for a moment. Dynami then went off to scout ahead.

Dack couldn't put his finger on it, but here was something in the air he didn't quite like. Then he smelled it, a foul odor he'd not smelled in some time. Immediately his sword was out of it's scabbard as the first of their guests arrived. Dack wasn't aware they had Kruggs here, although he was sure they were called something different. Thier size was much greater than those he'd fought in the past, but in his experience any of this manner of creature was dangerous.

Dack engaged one that popped up near him, the monster pulled it's club back for a mighty swing, but Dack would be a damned fool to let the beast strike him so easily. He dove and rolled between the ogre's legs, causing the mammoth club to strike the ground behind him. Dack quickly turned and opened the back of it's legs making it collapse to the ground. He made the killing stroke quickly, only to find that many, many more of the brutes were on their way.

He made his way back to the group and finally Dynami returned. “We are on their land!! We need to leave this area to stop them from attacking!” she shouted.

“Well then, where do we go?” someone asked.

There really weren't any good choices in this situation. No one knew where the brute's territory began or ended, and while each of them was highly skilled, the sheer number of enemies didn't favor them. That and the fact that Denathdar, the only one of them able to strike down scores of this manner of creature, was down only furthered their predicament.

They were going to need a plan, Dack had noted Aeleth's armor before, they didn't hand out weapons of that craftsmanship to just anyone, so the big elf probably had some military knowledge, however Dack wasn't content to wait for one of them to think up a plan, he began to think of one of his own, finally he came to a conclusion, this would be so much easier back home...

18. daraja

daraja Ghost

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Never had he felt his feet so heavy. All he really wanted to do was to bring Svartnir back. Most of the time, it was all Aelor could think of.
    Nyla had noticed this and felt herself sorrowful. She had known Aelor in the past, before the War of the Souls, which had almost teared apart all Ansalon (*note* Ansalon is the continent we are in, Krynn is the world).
    That war had torn apart both elven kingdoms Qualinesti and Silvanesti. In her own mind, she thought that everything had been better then, even though, before that war the gods had been missing. After the war they had returned and were now taking a part in peoples lives. But in Nyla's opinion, they just made harm to the mortals by playing with their lives. All was well before that war..

They were quite high in the mountains and the air was chilling as well as the snowy ground they walked on. Nyla walked behind Aelor and looked at his walk; Aelor's eyes so focused to the horizon, that he almost tripped few times. Poor Denathdar was still quite weak because he had apparently fallen asleep to the drift and would have propably died if Dyami hadn't woken up and made a fire. He had an extra coat on his shoulders, he was still quite cold, but the group wanted to get going as soon as Denathdar was able to move.

Nyla walked little faster to catch up Aelor's pace and took his hand to her own. Looking into his eyes she said:
    ''Do you remember that winter when we met for the first time?'' Aelor looked like someone had awaken him from a deep sleep. His bright green eyes had gone gray and dull.
    ''Yes, I do....Why do ask that now?'' Aelor said and took his hand away from Nyla's.
    ''I just wanted to know if you remember..''
    ''Oh...''
    Soon they camped for a short while and Dyami went ahead to explore. Nyla thought, that no one would mind if she would do the same, so she went to the opposite direction. It wasn't long before the foul smell could be detected in the air. Nyla knew that smell from before; ogres. But she could not figure out where the smell came from, they had stopped in a small valley and the wind mixed everything up. So she ran to the little camp.
    Sounds of battle winded her steps. Dyami was already there and Nyla could hear her yell over the noice:
    “We are on their land!! We need to leave this area to stop them from attacking!”

“Well then, where do we go?” someone asked.

Nyla tried to yell for an answer, but then a yellowish greature with two big clubs came to block her way.She dodged it's attack easily and headed for it legs. With two quick cut's, she overturned the creature and sought for it's heart. Once the creature was breathless, she yelled so that everyone could hear:

''Away from the mountains, we have travelled too close to their town Blöden. Quickly now!''

She knew that if they could not escape from the fight, the ogres would tear them apart, literaly. There were over fifty ogre's there. Green, blue, yellow and few purple creature's with blunt weapons, most of them almost seven foot tall or more!

''Denathdar'', Nyla yelled and run to the mage, ''make a way for us, we need to get out quickly!'
    ''Maybe Lunalath...'' Denathdar started.
    ''No!'', Nyla said, shaking her head; her black hair swinging from side to side, silver bells ringing, ''she wont be back until tomorrow, you know this Denathdar. Now, please! We don't have much time, do what you must and I will cover you.'' With that she charged towards a big ogre that tried to aproach Denathdar from behind.

----

''I don't have time to join our fellow mages in Nuitari's new tower; in the Tower of Istar. And I'm not sure if I feel comfortable living under the sea'', Lunalath said and smirked. Infront of her stood an elf male with black hair, there were few silver lines between them. His black robe had similar silver marks as Lunalath had in her own. This man was taller than she, and much more powerful. Only legendary Raistlin Majere had had more power than this black mage known as Dalamar. He also was a dark elf like Lunalath, evicted from their beloved elven country.
    ''I guess you really enjoy that little cottage or yours'', he said, without a smile, but he had sarcastic humor in his eyes.
    They were not friends, but their passion for magic joined them together and the gathering of mages had brought them and a set of red and white robes to the Tower of Wayreth.
    Now the meeting was over and Lunalath was ready to get back to her group. She had not mentioned of her quest to other mages, but she knew Nuitari was aware of her plans. But then, Lunalath thought, what was her plan? She had lost the track a long time ago. First there had just been the responcibility for Nuitari; to get an artifact that belonged to him, then there was an object she wanted for herlsef, and then there was Svartnir.
    She had never felt more lost.

But like the practical person she was, she shrugged her worries from her shoulders and exited the Tower. In the courtyard, Morten was waiting for her, ready to take her where ever she wanted to go. Luna caressed the shadow horses neck and got up on her mount. If everything had gone well, the group should have gone past Blöden. Lunalath hoped they had had the sence to travel as far from it as possible, if they had been ambushed by the ogre's, they might not be alive anymore. Ogre's weren't very brave creature's, but they were blood thursty (especially torturing elves was one of their fun activities) and that near to their town they must be moving in big groups. Just in case.

Well, if they die, there will just be more for me to take from the artifacts, Lunalath thought as Morten's wings hewed the sky. That was what she said to herself, but in her heart she couldn't tell if that was what she truly felt.

19. Smurf

Smurf Finrod Felagund

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    The Ogres had struck with force and surprising to Denathdar some surprise. Their limbering bodies and less than silent walking ability normally hindered their sneakiness. According to Dyami the group had stepped right into their territory, what Denathdar would give to have a scout at the moment. But alas, they must fight or flight and Nyla was urging for flight. Denathdar groaned at this, he had foolishly wasted all of his energy earlier this morning on working out some obscure word in that book that still doesn't make sense. But the group had allowed him to rest after this and for that he was truly greatful. He had managed to get back some mental strength but it was far from his maximum potential.

Now they were standing in the way of 50 or more angry, territorial ogres swinging their big clubs and other weapons about. Denathdar was certainly scared but he had seen worse, far worse. However that does not remove the fact that they had to do something - and fast. Denathdar started invoking a telekenisis spell to blast some ogres. He was nearly complete when Nyla yelled over to him to make a way for the group and that she would cover his back - literally. He decided to focus his powers on one area where the ogres were most in strength, this seemed the best way to clear a way and make sure that the ogres understand that this group means business. He started to pour more concentration into the already invoked spell and it began to grow and grow. The mental exertion was building and Denathdar gripped the side of his head from the extreme pain that the spell was producing, such was the greatness of the spell that he wanted. He started to tap into reserves of power in his mind and funnelled them into the spell which continued to grow. Finally the spell was ready to release and Denathdar spent no time in delaying this from happening. With the fury of a thousand waves crashing against the cliffs or the cyclonic power of the greatest of tornados Denathdar unleashed the hell-fury of force into an unsuspecting group of ogres.

Pandemonium ensued as the ogres desperately tried to understand what just happened, before they were surrounding a group of desperate adventurers and now there was a great number of them laying on the gound - some unconscious, others dead from the explosion of mental force that Denathdar had unleashed. The group had long but gone, running away from the ogres' land and down the mountain to safety.

They reached a suitable distance from the danger and Denathdar asked for a stop, he was exhausted.
    "Ok ok let's stop here please." He sat down on a rock and breathed heavily from the exercise.
    "So, I just thought I'd bring up another matter, where are we going exactly?"

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  20. daraja

daraja Ghost

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    They reached a suitable distance from the danger and Denathdar asked for a stop, he was exhausted.
    "Ok ok let's stop here please." He sat down on a rock and breathed heavily from the exercise.
    "So, I just thought I'd bring up another matter, where are we going exactly?

Nyla looked around to where they had come to. She had to Khalkist mountains before, so she knew something from their surroundings. She allowed the others to discuss what ever they wanted; where they would be going and so on. She herself, consentarted to examine the valley they had come to. It had seemed that it would take them away from the mountains, but Nyla saw that it would just take them that way only for a short way and then turn their path back to the mountains. They were trapped; there was no reason to believe that they could return from where they came, the ogres would come after them as soon as they got over the shock Denathdar's attack had done; and they were forced to follow the valley, it was too dangerous to try to get out of it, so they would have to follow where ever it would take them and it seemed it would take them deeper into the mountains.

Nyla interrupted the others talk by saying:
    ''The valley will take us back to the mountains.''
    Others observed their surroundings for a moment and had to admit that she was right.
    ''We can't go back,'' she continued, ''ogres will surely follow us. Those blood thursty creatures will surely follow us until we leave the mountains. So I suggest we keep on moving and hope that we find a way that will take us away from the mountains...''

So they gathered their things and kept on walking, the last person alway listening if there would be any sounds behind them. But it was all silent, even too silent and they all felt restless.