RPG #12 - Fallen

Discussion in 'RPG #12 - Fallen' started by Nienor, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    It had been a little over two hundred years since the second war of nedwin's pass, and the great collapse that followed, economy and peace shattered like glass in the gambit for power. Now, the universe drew perilously close to the same fate.

After the war ended the chaos that followed was slowly brought to reign by new powers replacing the old empires, the Universal Space Coalition first among them, restoring order and returning balance, but only the foolish thought it would last forever. In the many years after the USC grew, taking in half the galaxies around nedwin's pass and still grew. As its limits went ever further from its core, it absorbed new elements, and forgot old ones. Terrible and glorious things were done for the Coalition, but there was always opposition.

At first the pirates and brigands who opposed the USC joined together in the shadows of the universe. Survivors of some of the Coalition's dark secrets and mistakes did the same. The greedy and corrupt followed. Whether for altruism, vengence, greed or tyranny, the opposition to the USC grew and grew in secret, and as the USC itself spread its rule thin, peace was shattered. In secret the rebels and pirates has amassed ships, great and small and called on 'free worlds' to aid them, after time they had enough force to pose a threat towards the coalition.

The first sparks flew towards the heart of the Coalition's empire, towards nedwin's pass and battle raged. Planets blazed in fire like small stars, debris clustered systems like great, metal asteroid belts, graveyards of dead ships. But wherever the rebels fought, the USC fought back just as hard, and there seemed no end to the war.

But as ships burned in hellfire at the heart of the battlefront, others did not. A huge mass of the rebel's greatest force skirted silently along the edges of civilisation, where they could move in secret, making their way across the void of space towards USC controlled planets, where masses of warships sat ready to be armed and launched. If it could be done, the rebels could rob the Coalition of a fleet of deadly destroyers, to be used in turn against them, it could be just enough to turn the tide in favour of the rebels.

The armada of rebels grew close now, reaching the ends on uninhabited and primitive space, and before the home straight they passed through a small one sun system of gas giants and small green worlds, the ships moving with determination towards their goal. Little did they know, that amidst the system, hidden by geomagnetic fields, the USC lay in wait, warships at the ready to stop this armada dead in its tracks.

created by - Crusader

2. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Heavy steel doors slid shut behind Dailan as he entered the bridge room aboard the mighty warship, around him dozens of crew were at work guiding the flagship of the Elhcha wing of the armada through the system. Taking a quick look out of the viewport he was the stars and ignored them turning back to the matter at hand.

Ahead of him was a pale skinned, dark haired man with sharp eyes, an alien. His name was Fehazh Elhcha and he had summoned Dailan to meet him, so Dailan came, not because he was summoned, he heeded no mans call but his own. Fehazh Elhcha was rich, his greed had consumed a neighbouring planet and he was reaching out to pluck more wealth from the USC, Dailan answered only to his payment, and he wasnt cheap, Fehazh was likely the onyl leader in this floating hunk of space-debris who could prove profitable.

The aline leader looked up and down him and raised an eyebrow. "You are Dailan?" He nodded. Fehazh return a curt nod of his won before continuing. "I have heard of your reputation, few can claim every mission a success, and no one charges as much as you, tell me human, why should I hire you?"

Dailan surpresed anger at the insolence, if they wanted his skill they paid for it, he didnt sell himself short of advertise himself to anyone. "Because I never fail" was enough, Fehazh seemed to take it in mind.

"Well then, I have considered bringing in extra aid, a large part of the fleet is hired you know. And I will choose to believ your claims, so should you fail I will kill you myself." nodding Dailan though how muhc of a bastard this man was and went over in his head the weapons on his person. One automatic pistol, one armour piercing pistol, five throwing knives, ten pin grenades, one compact sword, a thermocell charge, a thermal garotte wire, ad ans EMP charge. He'd packed lightly for this meeting, he didnt want to give the impression of being overly armed, a good assassins skill was in himself not his tools, Dailan's current equipment was almost impossblre to notice inder his coat.

Fehazh continued "I will have you use yor talents in any battles to come, you do sabotage dont you? good. do whatever you can to make sure we win, and I will pay you hansomly."

"You know my fee?" Dailan said at last, Fehazh raised an eyebrow and nodded. "That is all i charge for each mission, no more, no less." fehazh nodded again and Dailan turned to leave.

"One more thing human" The Elhcah said, and Dailan turned to face him again. "My daughter has command of a wing of my fleet, Make sure she does not come to harm."

"I dont babysit"

"Add it as another mission, with another mission's pay, two if you like, just do it."

Dailan walked out then not bothering to give him an answer. He had spend a long time doing jobs, he had plenty enough money to retire in peace, he could buy his own planet if hereally needed to, but he was made to kill, and it was wht he enjoyed best. Even if half his employers were scum trying to put him on worthless jobs for half his pay.

He went down to the hangar bay and found his small ship ghost, the large fighter-transport was sleek in design but built to withstand a lot of firepower, and get away fast, big enough to have its own FTL drive, and enough room to live in and hold prisoners. He boarded and readied it for launch. He had a bad feeling about Fehazh, and he knew nothing good ould come of it.

3. AcrobaticHippo

AcrobaticHippo Determined

In Turtleopia, training Elan's turtles :P
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Fehazh Elhcha watched as the dark-haired man stalked out of the room and the massive metal doors slammed shut behind him. What utter insolence, he thought. He, as the mighty leader of the greatly feared Elhcha army, commanded an enormous amount of respect from his armies, and even enemies quaked in fear at the mention of him. He did not tolerate any ounce of disrespect from even his most trusted and powerful generals, and here, this rude youngster came waltzing in and acting as though he were king of the world.

Why, he thought, if the man wasn't one who was known among all to be a great independent assassin, my armies would have annihilated him with a flick of my wrist for his disrespect. He was not stupid; he knew the man would come with hidden weapons, as any assassin would. Why, it would be easy for Dailan to whip out a knife and plunge it into his chest, given the man's famed agility.

He thought of Dailan's nonchalance towards the safety of his sweet daughter, Adrianna. She was a beauty, just like her mother had been, and a very intellectual one at that. Fehazh had hopes of her assuming full control over his empire someday. Brilliant as she was though, she was young, a teenager of 19, and she needed all the protection she could get to ensure her survival. His armies were not enough to ease his worry; he needed all the manpower he could get, for his only child. How dare that fellow show indifference to his only daughter, heir apparent of the mighty Elhcha forces?

He comforted himself with thoughts of what he would do to Dailan if he failed in any of the two missions. I'll corner his ship and take great pleasure in ripping him apart with all my armies. He may be powerful, but he is only an individual, and I'll remind him of that.

He turned to General Aalya, who was at his right. "Make sure everything is in order when I come back," he snapped at her. She quickly replied, "Yes sir" and began shouting at various members through the intercom to prepare for launching.

Fehazh turned and walked out of the bridge room. He could hear Aalya's voice reverberating through the passage connecting the ship to the departure area. He walked smartly, his back as poker-straight as his face, and his head held high in the air. Those whom he came across saluted him as he walked past them, occasionally sparing a brief and curt nod to the higher-ranking soldiers.

He stopped outside a room and knocked gently on its gigantic oak doors. "Adrianna? May I come in?" he asked in a gentle tone.

A mumble of assent reached his ears and he pushed the doors open to reveal a gargantuan room, with an enormous four-poster bed in the centre. Velvet drapings adorned the bed frame and hung down, gathered in gold silk ribbons. The walls and ceiling had been painted a deep crimson red, and an ornately mahogany dressing table stood in the corner. His daughter, the pride of his life besides his power, stood with her back to him, looking out the huge windows at the starry sky.

Fehazh came up behind her. "Have you prepared yet, my daughter? The battle is starting soon," he said gently, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"I have already changed into my battle gear and put on my equipment. I just need to check that my craft is in order, and I will be ready," she replied brusquely.

Fehazh dismissed her answer with a wave of his hand. "Prepare your craft? The privates can do that! Why do all the underlings' work yourself? You are the daughter of the great Fehazh Elhcha!"

Adrianna shook his hand off. "I may be the daughter of the 'great' Fehazh Elhcha, but thankful for that, I am not. Let me be and I will make use of the abilities I have been given as a human, rather than be regarded as an invalid child by an over-doting father," she hissed icily. She then strode out of the room. "I will now check the state of The Vigilante," she added coldly and left.

Fehazh buried his head in his hands. She is just as insolent as that scum Dailan! he thought miserably. Though, unlike Dailan who meant nothing to him, Adrianna was his daughter, and he loved her dearly, for she would someday helm his forces and uphold his empire.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  4. AcrobaticHippo

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Adrianna stalked out of her room, her face set in a stony expression. Nothing betrayed the flames of anger dancing within her that she was trying so hard to restrain, except her eyes, which had become hardened like ice chips. Underlings, he says? How DARE he! she thought furiously.

Oh, how she hated him for his utter hypocrisy! How she loathed him for fawning over her and sending floods of servants to attend to her every when he was not there in person to irritate her, when he would not spare even one ounce of mercy to any other! How she abhorred him for reducing his armies to machines acting merely out of fear! All hated him, but they reciprocated to his wishes, in fear of being squashed by his mighty, giant foot of power, pathetic insects that they were.

She began to quell her anger with thoughts of what she was about to do. If everything goes well...I'll be rid of that...that man forever. Never will I have to be bound by the iron rule set down by this heartless dictator. I would have a chance to live the life of a normal person...ohh, I can just taste its sweetness...

As she walked smartly down the hallways, those who passed her stopped and bowed slightly. "Lady Adrianna," they murmured. Adrianna spared no more than a brief nod; she had no choice but to follow the "decorum" set down by her father. "A noble child of the great Fehazh Elhcha must learn how to put her servants in their proper places," he had told her many a time. She longed to break the boundaries set upon her and befriend those in the palace; alas, how could she? For Fehazh had spies lurking at every nook and cranny of the palace. They, in order to please her father, would flit over to his chambers and inform him of Adrianna's disobedience. Rage-filled though she was, Adrianna was smart enough not to do anything which might infuriate him.

Adrianna walked some more, lost in thought, until she arrived at her personal hangar. The sleek, ebony beast, The Vigilante, was akin to fire; beautiful to see, but dangerous to mess with. A small sigh escaped her lips; this warship was the vessel of deliverance and salvation for her, reward for the many years of being cooped up in the palace with no playmates, just a cruel, hypocritical father. She could not wait for her part in the battle; with the help of her dear friend Adran, she would escape her father forever, and live in peace, with a few basic belongings.

Adrianna turned at a sound behind her. Adran was standing a few feet away, his face holding a smiling expression. "Adrianna, you have arrived," he said simply.

As there were no spies hidden in the room, just the two of them, Adrianna's face relaxed into a warm smile. "I know we've packed everything already, but could you wait while I check things over one last time?"

He nodded as she entered the ship and inspected hers and Adran's handiwork. Boxes of various weapons, food and miscelleanous items, all strapped and bound tightly. They had been neatly labelled in Adrianna's neat handwriting and stacked in the small cargo room. All was fine. She smiled and motioned for Adran to join her. He did so, and as he strapped himself into one of the seats, she cleared her throat.

"Is...is it ready?"

"Yes, it is," he smiled.

Adrianna heaved a sigh of relief, then turned to face Adran once again. "I...let's hope this works out."

"Amen."

She turned and readied the ship for launching. Her expression had once again sunk into its normal state of calm, but her knuckled were white from gripping the edges of her handrests and herheart was beating a wild tattoo against her ribcage, anticipating what was to come.

5. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    As they sat down Adran made one last check over the displays, everything seemed fine, he'd calibrated them personally, it was all set and ready, not a single glitch to be seen.

Suddenly an ear-piercing roar began, his heart lept into his mouth when he realised it was the alert. Turning shocked to Adrianna he shook his head. "They couldnt, the cant have know, its impossib..." His words were cut off by a violent crashing shake that sent him to the floor, quickly picking himself he went over to one monitor.

"Oh no"

"What is it?" Adrianna said, he could sense her dismay that their plan might fail so close to fruition.

"We're under attack, its the USC, theyre here now, we werent supposed to face them for days, I dont know how they got here but theve got us by surprise, the fleets not even in attack formation, this is terrible." He brced himself by holding the console as another violent crash shook the hangar bay, the ship was taking fire, but Adran thought quickly and a smile bloomed on his face. "We can still get away, in the heat of battle theyre more likely to be fooled by the ploy, any your father will be too wrathful at the USC to think about deception, we can still do it" He began checking the readouts again to see if there was any damage yet, none, and he went to the door.

"Get us out of here, I have to check on sam" Aran quickly went thought the door from the ships cockpit and went down to the cargo hold where sam was waiting, the robot's eyes were red lit, he sensed the danger. Adran stepped forward and made sure he didnt break anything and got him ready incase he was actually needed. They stood a better chance of getting their plan done in this surprise battle, but they also stood a good chance of getting killed.

6. AcrobaticHippo

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Fehazh rushed into the bridge room to find disarray reigning. His crew were looking at each other and crying out helplessly, the tools either hanging limply from their hands, or lying forgotten on the floor. General Aalya was frozen in her position, staring wide-eyed at the huge monitor in fron of her.

Fehazh strode quickly towards her. "Report?!" he snapped. He could read the monitors for himself, but he was severely displeased at Aalya's reaction towards the emergency.

The blonde jumped and found him behind her, apopletic with rage. She quickly pointed to the screen, where the radar was frantically flashing red and scores of armies were moving in, and started rattling off the information in one breath. " The USC fleets are attacking now in crescent formation-all hangars bays are currently under attack. They're trying to catch us unawares by attacking us in our own base and wiping out reinforcements. Our armies have not even gotten into formation yet, we were indeed anticipating an early attack, but we didn't know the USC would be ready so early."

Fehazh looked closer at the screen and gnashed his teeth in anger. His daughter 's personal hangar was among those under attack, and besides, he didn't need reminding from an inferior that he had been outwitted by the god-forsaken USC. "Get all military personnel and their airships out of here. Instruct all personnel involved to launch their machines in quick mode, we don't have time for a thorough check, and besides they would have done that already if they had brains. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes sir," Aalya replied as she saluted. As she raised her hand, the icon representing Adrianna's hangar on the screen flashed red.

What is she doing in there? Fehazh screamed internally. "We don't have much time! Get to work! And tell Adrianna to get out of there!" he told Aalya. "I'll deal with you when this is all over." His gaze then fell on the motionless crew. "AND GET THEIR A*SES WORKING!!!" he screamed as he exited the room.

Aalya turned to the crew. "You heard him, get to work!" she said as she grabbed the intercom and shouted instructions. After instructing various personnel, she dialed "A-N-N-A" and yelled, "Adrianna! Can you hear me?"

Adrianna's voice came through. "Mayday, mayday..."

"Get out of the hangar as soon as possible! Your hangar's armours have been penetrated! A few more hits and the whole hangar will blow up! Use a quick launch!" Aalya yelled.

"I don't need reminding of that...I can read monitors for myself" Adrianna replied as a "LAUNCHED" button on the bridge's control flashed green and the icon flashed yellow. Adrianna had launched her ship...the hangar was still in danger of being destroyed, but Adrianna could fight them now...

Minutes later, Aalya heaved a sigh of relief as the icon flashed green. Adrianna and another warship belonging to an alert pilot had managed to destroy the enemies attacking her hangar.

She turned and saw that the quick launches had worked; the airships were already in action, and the crew had readied her ship for launch. She nodded towards them. "You can go into safe ground now...just remember to be at the ready and bring supplies whenever needed."

They saluted and scurried out of the room as Aalya rushed to her hangar and immediately boarded her ship. She had a feeling that something wrong was going to happen; whether to her, or to Fehazh, or to the ground personnel, or Adrianna, she did not know. "It's just nerves; knock it off, you're a general," she told herself.

-----

"I can take care of myself, there's no need for her to act like my mother all of a sudden," Adrianna muttered to herself .

She glanced over at Adran. "Quite a rough ride so far, eh? Good thing we creamed them. Is SAM ready?"

"Yes."

"Good. Alright, prepare yourself, we're heading towards the pointy end of the crescent. We'll get a little nearer to the middle to prevent any suspicions and embed ourselves at first, then we break off to join one of the bunches of battles which would have occurred by then. We then fake the ship exploding (you've got that covered) , kill a few enemies via that fake blast, then sneak off. Got it?"

"Got it."

"Good," Adrianna replied as she turned back to the controls.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2005
  7. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    When the first shakes hit the hanger in which Dailan's ship was stored he stopped still and waited, when more came he was sure somethign was wrong. Quickly pushing the button on the underside of his ship ghost he waited as the small lift descended and took him up into the craft and then stepped through the small door into the cockpit.

"status report" He said quickly. And the monitors fluttered blue and green and a female voice sounded

"All systems online and ready, minor stability disturbances in hangar bay ineffectual"

He nodded and sat down in the single pilot seat and tapped on panel to lock all outer doors. "And whats the cause of the disturbances?"

One panel flashed and flickered. "Connecting to Ellcha ship's datacore. done. Outboard sensors show approaching enemy ships in crescent formation, a USC fleet is attacking."

Damn, he thought, this was too soon, not an hour after his 'recruitment' and already there was trouble, he expected it wouldnt get any better.

"Arm missiles and bring the shield up to full, prepare the ship for launch and track the location of Fehzah's daughter." He slammed a button and the chair revolved, he proceeded back from the cockpit room, past the lift chute and into his armoury. Rerturning his minor weapons he chose out what he thought was most useful, leaving on his light armour and coat he picked up a combat rifle and some high power ion pistols. finally he opened the floor compartment and picked up some thermocell charges. Big battles werent his style, where one ship wasnt too important, he was a trained killer, and assassin, he did the dirty work. the best he could for the rebel fleet would be to employ a little sabotage while the malestrom kept the gun turrets occupied, he had no intentions of being some jumped up warlord's cannon-fodder.

He stpped back into the cockpit and the computer confirmed his orders had been completed, one of the computer panels showed a 3D layout of the battle with red dots for the enemy, and blue for the rebels, one yellow dot tracked the position of Adrianna, her ship was in some light combat but otherwise okay, if some stray missile hit her he would be very annoyed, and he couldnt begin to think what fehzah would do.

Dailan engaged the ships cloaking device, anyone viewing from the outside would see the craft shimmer and disappear. It wasnt a full cloak, it made it invisible and harder to detect, but heavy scanning would pick it up easily, but in this case it would draw attention away from him and hopefully fool autotargetting turrets.

The first ship he boarded was a small weapons platform in the rear, laying down streams of fire into the rebels, a nuisance. He slipped into the docking bay without notice and made his way to the power core, dispatching any resistance he found before the alarm could be given. One thermocell charge in the right place caused a chain reaction that vaporised most the the ship and damaged the surrounding vessels, Dailan was long gone when it happened.

A couple more ships went the same way, not major targets, but useful ones, he noted when he was flyign that the rebels were slowly gaining ground, and that all the advantage of the suprise attack had been used up, it was now a pitched battle between the two fleets and it could go either way.

Things changed when he boarded the Marauder, the USC's main flagship, he thought it was about time he chose a major target and now was the prime time to tip the balance. He made it in and was half way through the ship towards its core when he felt it, and smiled. He stopped walking, disengaged his personal cloaking device and shouldered his rifle. "Never thought I'd see you here" he shouted at apparently no one. The air ahead of him shimmered and out of nowhere a woman dressed in black combat gear appeared. She did not smile.

"Well well, I would expect to find you here, among tr****rs and heathens, where you belong, brother" She said, not moving, in her hand at her side was a large pistol, but she kept it where it was.

Dailan smiled. "I stopped being your brother a long time ago Gia, and I'll have you know, tr****rs and heathens pay well. Though I must admit I think this battle is a little high profile for you dont you think?"

"It was important, father sent me to make sure it went as planned, and to deal with unexpected circumstances."

"always your speciality" Dailan said jokingly. "I suppose you'll be wanting my head? after what i did to Bann" The first emotion she showed in their conversation happened then, she shot a look of pure hatred at Dailan and tensed her hand on her gun.

As quick as he could he raised his rifle and left one shot fly, as Gia borught up her own gun the shot collided with it and the pistol flew away in a shower of sparks. "Remember, I was always the quickest, and the best, thats why I'm still alive, and why you should take any petty feeling of revenge and forget them before someone else needs to avenge you."

She then smiled, which shocked Dailan, and her lips parted around the smile as she spoke. "Dear brother, youve been away so long, and missed so much." Her empty hand raised and something shot out the end, like a thing spray of dust. He felt his skin burn and his vision begin to flash wildly.

It was a while before he regained his sight and he was Gia with a gun to his head, smiling. "Father has been generous to his faithful children." He heard the sound of the charge building in the gun's chamber, it was like hearing his own funeral. "For Bann" She said simply, and the whole room shook. The ship must have taken a massive blow, the gun barrel at Dailan's head slid away and the shot went through his shoudler not his head, he wasted no time and punched Gia in the face, brought his leg round in a kick and stepped on her neck when she was down. He could have easily killed her there and then, she would have done no less, but he didnt, he knocked her unconciouss and made for his own ship before this one was blasted to hell.

8. Morgan_of_Salerone

Morgan_of_Salerone New Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Danysha pulled her cloak about her tighter, watching with fear and awe as the heavens exploded above her. Tiny stars moved about, stars that had only recently appeared in the sky, twirling and whirling together as if they were dancing. Then, quite suddenly, one would burst into a thousand tiny fragments, lighting up its little section of the sky. It was a phenomenon she had never even heard of before, let alone see with her own eyes.

The superstitious King and Head Priest, fools they were, had taken the spectacle as an ill-meaning warning. They were sending out orders to pull back all troops, fearing any battles entered would go unfavourable for them. It irked Danysha. The war, that is.

The teachings of the Moon Goddess emphasized peace and acceptance between all peoples, yet many of her order participated in the ongoing battles between the smaller orders of the celestial gods and the powerful order of the Earth God, Hitrae. The followers of Anule and Dinew, the Wind God and Water Goddess, were constantly changing sides, all depending on which order would give them the most favours at the time. It did not help that the Eldorans had begun their winter raids as well, and were taking advantage of the conflict within the kingdom to press further in than they had ever done before.

Danysha turned and gave a sigh, gazing at the flickering lights of the torches illuminating the pale temple in the distance.

"Wise and beautiful Irai," she whispered. "Lend me your strength. Let me lead our people through these dark and trying times. Let me see your omen for what it truly is."

Glancing back at the dancing stars, Danysha gave another sigh, her brows drawing together. Now to return to the temple, and attempt once more to persuade the High Priest to stop the fighting between the orders.
    -------------------------------------------

"Priestess!" A young man's voice called as Danysha strode swiftly through white, stone walls of the temple. She turned, watching as a young priest dashed up to her.

"The King's general..." he panted, "he wishes for your presence in the main hall. He says he wishes you to come quickly. He said...complications... have arisen." Danysha studied him for a moment, before giving a brief bow of her head.

"Thank you, my son. May the wisdom of Irai be with you."

"And also with you, Priestess."

Danysha turned and swept away, her clerical robes billowing behind her. It was a short walk to the main hall with its beautiful walls all carved with representations of the Moon Goddess Irai and all her legends, and the white-skinned mage made quick time of it with her smooth, brisk walk. The mighty stone doors leading to it opened with a touch of a finger, and a devastating scene met her pale, iris-less eyes. Strewed across the floor on every available space lay wounded soldiers, some praying, some dying, some dead. The general looked up from the bloody map he was studing in the company of several officers.

"Priestess!" he cried, crossing over. "Please, lend us your powers; we have heard rumour of your gifts for healing."

Danysha gazed across the hall, her brows drawn with worry.

"How did it come that so many were wounded?" she asked.

"Complications." Replied the general. "It seems the Eldorans have finally invaded."

9. AcrobaticHippo

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    “Brace yourself; we’re going to the tip of the crescent, and traveling across the outer rim. The old man’s already covering the centre of the crescent, and besides, I can see some pretty powerful aircraft there, we don’t want ourselves to get blown up, “Adrianna said to Adran without taking her eyes off the screen, pronouncing the words “old man” with distaste.

She switched on the intercom system connecting ships under the Vermillion Wing of the fleet. “Listen up; we’re going to attack in ball formation according to your various squads. Close in from the lower inner rim of the crescent and move around the lower crescent area, but don’t wander off to the centre or the massive ships there could crush you.” Also, there’s a higher chance of my escape plan failing, she added silently. “Dispose of the smaller fleets first, there’s a chance of more coming in from the sides to exploit weaknesses so stay at that area. Proceed to other areas only when fleets under other commanders request backups; even then, send backup in order of size, smallest starting first : Squadron 1A under Captain Arliss of Hellfire. The last quarter of the crescent is an important place, keep that in mind. Move out!”

She switched off the intercom and manoeuvred her ship to the right, her eyes on the monitors. Though her mind was on the plan, she could not help marveling at the USC’s well-planned attack. Though, the once purely crimson crescent was now brightly splashed with both red and blue, and the crescent was losing its perfect beauty: it gave the appearance of a reflection in water, but was still beautiful, nevertheless.

“Adrianna!” Adran’s voice jolted her as she quickly looked up. There was a lone ship approaching, ready to fire.

Adrianna worked a few controls. It was not long before the built-in cannons had fired, turning the ship into a brilliant orange explosion.

“Well, that’s the end of him,” she muttered under her breath as she made her way towards the tip. I hope the other smaller USC fleets are stupid enough to wander off and not attack in clumps, she thought. The ship she had just blown up probably belonged to some corporal or specialist, maybe even someone of a lower rank.

USC is taking this battle very seriously…

"I've disabled all connections for the Vermillion Wing except intra-connection and induced a message saying "system error". The same goes for when they're attempting to connect to my ship. We can't risk arousing suspicions from people who know I was supposed to stay at the lowermost quarter of the crescent," she told Adran. It may seem selfish, but it's worth it, she thought.

She entered the tip of the crescent, dodging a cannon shot. I may have been stupid to go off by myself and yet tell the others to utilize their strength in numbers, but the great sacrifice shows how much I hate my life in Ixafe, she thought. She glanced at the screen, but focused on the dots surrounding hers this time. She was a skilled fighter, and she did not need anyone’s help in spotting approaching enemies.

After dispatching a few more ships, Adrianna decided to make a move. “We’re going to fight our way through now…"

Last edited: Jan 6, 2006
  10. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Stumbling against the hull of his ship Dailan watched the fighters in the back take off, in his cloaking device they couldnt see him but without it they probably wouldnt as well, something big was happening, after that big main blast a few had followed and sirens were still rining, likely they ship was going to blow sooner or later, all the more reason for him to go.

He looked up and the sensor panel on the ships underbelly, and used his neural interface to open the boarding lift, he stepped on and was taken up into the small ship where he walked through the door and sat down in the pilot seat. "Get us out of here quickly" he said, and the planels lit up, the computer began to autoengage the thrusters and take the ship back into battle. Meanwhile Dailan left his seat and went to his sleeping quarted where he kept the medical equipment. Whatever Gia has sprayed in his face as burned his flesh, but his nanites had quickly patched the skin together. The wound in his shoulder wasnt so simple, it was taken nearly point blank and the hole went all the way through, his nanites were repairing what they could, but with it bleeding so profusely they werent getting enough contact. He fished into the medikit and pulled out a cannister, holding it to his wound he pressed the top and sprayed a thing foamy material into the wound. The foam expanded and closed it completely preventing more bloodloss. It was a handy thing that foam, it was made of biochemicals, and his nanites could break it down and reconstruct it into flesh to patch his shoulder without draining huge degrees of his stored bioenergy. After that was dealt with he injected half a syringe of Gyemonol, which boosted his body and reversed the drain of healing his wounds. In a few hours his shoulder would be good as new.

Stepping back to the cockpit he looked around back at the Marauder, the ship he had left, there was no major explosion, but the gravstabilisers must have been destroyed in the battle and the ship was turning and curving towards the nearest planet, a huge red gas giant. After a few moment the tip was already crashng through the ionosphere and the hull began to wail and twist as is disappeared behind the clouds. Dailan looked back, the rebels were now evidently winning, their main ships had begun to converge on the crescent and the USC forces were breaking apart.

Dailan checked his monitor for the yellow dot to find Adrianna, she was there on the outer wing, and he decided with the battle almost won he had best do his job. Slowly his ship passed through the small solar system. He lay back and pressed his shoulder to check it, already the red raw flesh had healed around the foam, it just looked like a blob on his skin, but within the cavernous wound remained.

"New Contacts" Dailan turned his head at the computer screens, seven new red contacts appeared above the system, and one of them seemed huge. He leaned forward to look out of the cockpit and saw the seven ships above, the small six coming down and the larger one slowly nestling into position. "Swordbreaker" Dailan said, he had seen the ship only once before, and once was enough.

The huge ship curves so its side faced the battle below, and suddenly thousands and thousands of fighters and bombers issued from its sides flying down into the battle below, just as the rebels had begun to win, and once they were away te whole ship seemed to light up from the laser cannons on its side.

-----------------------------

Adrain felt tense as the blasts went off aroudn them, he supposed it made sense for them to get into the frey so their plan would work perfectly, but there was still the risk out being blown up too, and he didnt like that once bit.

"I best check on the setup, an ready the charges for ejection" He looked on the scanner, one of the USC's main ships had gone down, if they didnt do this soon Adrianna's father might win this battle before they could escape.

He undid his seatbelt and went down to the underbelley of the ship where he had placed the ejectors. Four of them pierced the hull like small missile launchers, firing small EM chages and explosives, once they were fired Adrianna would need to fly down and the charges would detonate making it look like the ship had exploded, meanwhile Adran would flick on the cloaking devide he'd rigged up and theyd be gone, in the frey of battle no one would be the wiser and theyd be free.

The charges seemed fine as he looked over them, so he hooked them up to the main computer and climbed back up to the bridge. "Everythings ready" he said. The screen flashed and a huge shape appeared on the radar. "Whats that?" he said more than a little nervous.

11. holly st.Raven

holly st.Raven Romlux

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    The ambush their fleet had fallen in was dreadful. Dreadnoughts made it so.
    The superior maneuverability of them had quickly turned the tides of war, as they shot down corvette after corvette, cruiser after cruiser, and deftly evaded the fire. It was Haraboukha. The dance of death and skill. And the rebels, with the Ghohanu rushing into the heaviest skirmishes, it didn’t bode well for the USC.
    The myriad of colors and sounds made by battle, was breathtaking. It was a symphony of the worst kind. Symphony of destruction and annihilation.
    Flying to his fourth mark, Tomahody made a slight pause as he observed the silvery-white ray of line polyphotonic shot pierce the shield of the heavy corvette class ship, braking into beautiful color spectrum that only a few species could truly enjoy, Zeth being one of them. He sent affirmation that he was still taking the mark, and turned to the bombardier. Soon, he activated detachment sequence, and was left hovering in empty space, until Fiy’num Shoa could join him. The other Manyak was, by no means inexperienced, yet it seamed she always took forever to embark. He could not blame indigo scaled alien. His specie was not one to disappreciate the overanalyticism. Yet, in the last few battles, that had them both involved, he slowly started to notice that she was beginning to show slight behavioral defects. With heavy hearth, he knew that the only reason he was joining her on this seizing, only so he could assure the minimum armor damage in her death. It couldn’t be helped. Space dementia was always present factor for Manyashi, and once afflicted it presented danger for the whole order. What little they had, they owed to their reputation, and if even a single person outside the order found out about the dementia, they could kiss their reputation good bye.
    It was harsh, but Manyashi prided themselves to being to hardest organization in the known universe. Not that anyone ever confirmed it, but noone had disputed their right to the title either.
    In remarkably quick order, the ship was set in stasis, and the crew shocked into unconsciousness. And then, just after the landing for raider was secure, Tomahody’s sad duty came.
    With sorrow in his voice, he sent the last message Shoa would ever hear.
    “It will be taken good care of.” It was the funeral good bye of Manyashi. Before she managed to move a single muscle, he hacked into manual controls of her armor, and overridden the main powerpack. The energy leak overcharged her cerebral reader, and backslash had shut down her brain. All was done within an instant, and left barely a small damage to the powerlines of the armor, not affecting anything else. He summoned her HV (homing vessel) attached her to it, and set it’s course to mothership. With that done, he contacted the command requesting a new mark.

12. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Valhanna rubbed her eyes as the pounding continued. “Lord Fehazh wants you right now!” some soldier yelled. “Please!”

With a yawn, she rose and dressed herself in her usual costume – skintight black leather from head to toe and a short coat. Pulling her – well, they weren’t boots, though they resembled them, but more like knee-length soundless shoes made entirely of black leather – shoes on, she tucked her laser handgun in a small inside pocket of her coat.

Dhellani tossed her pistols to her, and Val thrust them into her belt, then slid her laser blades down her boot-like shoes. Dhellani was dressed in an identical outfit, although instead of a handgun and laser blades, Dhel had half a dozen plasma firearms hidden about her person.

She also had no less than four sansen.

Val raised an eyebrow at that. Dhel usually had one sansen, not four, but Val did not object when Dhel placed one in her belt and held the other before handing her the other two. “Had them made a few months back,” Dhel said in answer to her unspoken question. “They’re all tuned to us. But I didn’t want to go into a battle without weapons that don’t rely on batteries or ammo.”

“Huh.” She shoved those through her belt as well, then opened the door so quickly that the soldier, who had his fist raised to continue pounding, stumbled.

“Did you have anything to say?” she asked with a raised eyebrow. The soldier stood a foot taller than she did, but he stammered and backed away, eyeing Dhel’s sansen nervously.

“Lord Fehazh wanted you, ma’am,” he answered before fleeing down the corridors, Val and Dhel in pursuit.

Soon, they were in front of the hall leading to Fehazh’s personal rooms. An officious guard tried to block their way. “I need to see IDs,” he said.

Exchanging one glance with Dhel, Val strode forward, black eyes glinting. “Do you know who I am?” she asked in a soft voice.

“Yeah, some jumped-up girl who – ”

He froze as Dhel jabbed her sansen into his side. “What my partner Dhel has digging into your skin right now is a sansen. Just in case you don’t know what that is, it’s a Laraj weapon that either causes pain or death. The pain can be mild. Most of the time it’s extreme.” She smiled very sweetly. “Now, does Dhel get to test that brand-new sansen she has on you or are you going to move?”

They got in without any further trouble.

“That was my old one,” Dhel said at last, going through the seemingly-endless halls.

“Yeah, whatever. Now shut up, it’s the next door through.”

Val kicked the door open without bothering to knock. Fehazh was there waiting for them, and he spoke without preamble. “I’ve got something for you to do.”

13. AcrobaticHippo

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Fehazh sat in his seat like a king; he was leader of the Elhcha forces, therefore being more powerful than any king. More powerful than even the USC, it seemed.

They were winning the battle; the Ghohany were doing a remarkable job of handling the USC. Adrianna, he noted with a surge of pride, was doing an amazing job of keeping the right-wing forces at bay. She seemed to be travelling over to the centre though- caught up in battle, he mused. Aalya was doing a fine job at the left too, though her ship seemed to have taken some considerable damage. "Request backup," he spoke into the intercom connecting his ship to Emerald Fleet. He didn't want one of his best soldiers to die in battle that easily.

"Yes sir," came the reply. Fehazh studied the two grey dots hovering nearby. They were the two obnoxious oddballs he had recruited earlier; beautiful (though nothing compared to his Adela) and reputed to be one of the best. They were indeed living up to their name so far. He was almost prepared to forgive them for their insolence earlier on.

His eyes starting roving for the dot which would represent Dailan's ship. Where is it? he wondered, his eyebrows furrowing for a moment. His expression then cleared. That cocky youngster must have rigged up some personal cloaking device...well, as long as he does his job and takes care of Adrianna.

"7 new contacts, sir!" Niles Twarzowsky, one of the pilots, reported. Fehazh glanced at the screen lazily, then froze. One of them was...how could he describe it? Gargantuan. No, beyond that. It was a massive metal monster, moving at a monstrous speed. Bloodred letters were emblazoned across the starboard. "SWORDBREAKER". Before Fehazh could do anything else, the ship swooped up, revealing that it had housed tons and tons of fleets.

As if anything like that could ever be thought of as a mother ship, he thought, shuddering slightly. He quickly recomposed himself. He was a mighty warrior. His soldiers had never seen him falter before, and never will.

"Tell the Elhcha armies to change formation. Round up all the remaining USC armies and Swordbreakers and surround them in ring formation," he told the motionless pilots. "Be quick at it!" he snapped, instantly unfreezing them.

He switched on the intercom connecting his ship to the Ghohany. "Back the Elhcha up"

"We'll form the other half of the ring," was the response.

Fehazh grunted and switched the intercom off. The Ghohany got on his nerves; what with their codex, their pride, their honour, all that load of tosh. He was the kind of person who dove in straight for the kill; so long as HE was the leader of it. He wouldn't have worked with them if not for the fact that they were powerful and he needed all the strength he can get for USC's gold.

He looked around and saw the oddballs hovering near his ship, waiting for instructions. "Don't go near Swordbreaker," he told them sharply. Powerful they may be, but they were still relatively new. They would be no match for Swordbreaker. "Cover me till we finish forming the ring-this is a very crucial process."

---

"I best check on the setup, and ready the charges for ejection" Adran told Adrianna.

"Careful..." she responded, keeping her eyes trained on the screen. She had to be very cautious at this point; the attacks were getting more intense and the last thing she needed was for Adran's corpse to be flung all over the ship.

She destroyed a few more ships before hearing Adran's footsteps. "Everything's ready" he said.

Adrianna looked up, then stopped. A shape had appeared on the screen; normally that would not have been much of an issue, but this one was...huge.

"Blast it! We're changing formation!!!" Adrianna yelled out as Fehazh's instructions resounded throughout the ship.

"What's that?" she heard Adran ask nervously.

"How would I know!?" she snapped, feeling sorry the next moment. Adran was trying to help her, she shouldn't have snapped at him like that...but now the plan was unravelling fast like a ball of yarn...what was she to do? "I-I'm sorry," she told him, reddening slightly.

He paused for a moment before replying, "I've readied everything, now all you need to do is fire them..."

"Will do." Adrianna tensed. This is it...

14. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Valhanna slid into the seat, her hands fastening around the controls for the first time in almost a year. But she figured that although it had been a while, fifty years of practice counted more than one missed year. “Activate voice messaging ability,” she said under her breath. Even she couldn’t hear her words over the hum of the small one-man – or one-woman – fighter plane, but the jeweled pin would. “Send message to counterpart?” the computer program asked in a scratchy voice.

“Rename ‘counterpart’ to ‘Dhel,’ ” she ordered. “And send the following message: ‘Activate voice messaging.’ ”

“Completed.”

“Testing voice messaging,” she said.

“Hey Val,” the program said in Dhellani’s voice, warm and amused. “Ready for some fun?”

“You bet,” she answered. “Activate the thought messaging ability?”

“Not yet. Anyway, so what did the old man want us to do after we cover him?”

“Cause chaos. Try to keep an eye out for his daughter if she gets in trouble.” Val snorted, and knew that the computer program in her ear was repeating that as well. “Why he’d be concerned when he has Dailan watching her?”

“Three’s better than one?” Dhel suggested. “But whatever, we’ll go later.”

“Yeah… I’ll take the right, you take the left.”

“Uh-huh.” The gray dot on her screen moved towards the left. “Ready? Let’s go.”

Together, they began to patrol while staying close to Fehazh’s craft. “Start a race?” Val asked, grinning.

“Yeah, fine, why not.” Dhel shot down a bomber with ease, and Val copied her by taking down the one next to it. “Winner gets what?”

“Dunno. A chance to gloat, maybe?” Val swerved aside as a USC fighter plane rushed towards her, and it burst into flame moments later, victim of her plasma cannon.

“Twelve,” Dhel said smugly two minutes later.

“Ten… no, eleven, and that’s twelve,” she said as she used her laser snipers to take down three planes who had been clustered close together. “Tied.”

“Thirteen.”

Val didn’t reply, for a large fighter plane was making its way towards Fehazh. Two shots and it was veering away like a broken bird, and she flew away from him to meet the formation of four fighters and four bombers trying to come towards them.

“I don’t like working separately,” she said, her count now up to twenty-one. “Wish we were in the same craft.”

“Yeah, same here.”

Another smaller transport ship was on the left. It was only the hundredth – the thousandth – of the size of Swordbreaker, but it was big enough to be carrying a dozen ships. Using her cannon, she destroyed the engine, and switched to a sniper to shoot down the others.

“Son of a b*tch!” Dhel snarled. “Val, I need backup. There’s approximately forty ships trying to come towards Fehazh, and they’re trying to get me first.”

Val broke off the current flight pattern and raced towards her, accelerating so fast that she almost ran into another USC ship. She hit the controls so hard that the entire board vibrated, but the USC ship exploded in pieces. Flying above it to avoid the debris, she sniped four ships in the attack wave before they noticed her. Half the force peeled away towards her. “I’ll distract them,” she said, and flew away. The ships followed her, but moments later, they too had been destroyed. Dhel had dealt with the other ones, and the other ships seem to have given up the attack for now.

“Any other orders?” she said into the intercom, waiting for Fehazh to answer.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  15. holly st.Raven

holly st.Raven Romlux

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    The battle stretched, on and on, and USC was steadily loosing ground. Primarily because of the presence of Dreadnoughts. Certainly, the forces of Elcha were expert combatants, and the independent aliens were useful with their unorthodox technologies and ways of combat, but only an idiot would not realize that without the superb maneuverability and heavy weaponry of Dreadnoughts, the battle would have been lost long ago.
    This way, what was not taken by raiders, was ruthlessly shredded. And the losses on their side were even a bit billow what would be called acceptable. Some of the more bloodthirsty pilots even called it laughably easy.
    Tomahody, and the rest of Manyashi begged to differ. Between the energy released by shots in open fire, the static created by damaged vessels, and the irregular magnetic field of the system that was their battlefield, it was pure miracle an ion storm had not commenced. Even as they flew on their tasks, they were starting to gain difficulties in controlling their equipment.
    Finally, the relays activated, and they were, all of Manyashi, summoned back to the ‘Caravel’, the comandship. And, non to soon. Most of their shields were on verge of collapsing if not collapsed already, and they already lost near thirty, counting the eight eliminated because of dementia.

The break didn’t last long, but they managed to refill the shield charges, and readjust the fine equipment that was starting to go awry. Most had just set down to retinker with their armors so they could gain the maximal efficiency in combat when they return in an sh or so, when the emergency alarm had sounded.
    None spoke as they reequipped their armors, and started for their briefing chamber.
    Tomahody himself was feeling his mane furrow. Something was going to go extremely awry.
    ‘Life. Death. Honor. Service.’ That was the maxim of Manyashi. And that was why he spoke nothing of his ill premonition.

The situation was even worse that he anticipated. A gargantuan ship, larger than even ‘Mohanzu’ the mothership of all Ghohanu, that was created by connecting all of the individual motherships into one, if even only slightly. And not even the Dreadnoughts could inflict damage upon the shields.
    The task was simple. Whatever the price, gain access to this ‘Swordbreaker’, and make taking over possible, or if the taking is not possible, than at least gather the mysterious shield technology, and than lower the shields. Although it came ridiculously close to sabotage, no Manyak found him or herself offended. They knew that only a few in the galaxy could have the skill necessary to do it.
    Then came a little surprise. The briefing commander said that the buccaneers’ council asked for a volunteer for a mission ‘of great importance, but no honor whatsoever’.
    It was a risky thing, asking Manyashi for an honorless mission, and that was what convinced Tomahody that it was very important. He knew how much his brethren were touchy in the matters of honor, and he was certain that the buccaneers were as aware of it as he was, if not more.
    He stepped up. He knew that the situation didn’t allow them to waste time, and no other Manyak would volunteer without a good, long, time-consuming consideration.
    The commandeer nodded to him, and took him thru the hallways and up to the higher levels of the ship. They passed the bridge, and there the commandeer left him, with instructions to wait, until summoned. He didn’t need to wait long, before the wall sled aside, to revel a spacious, well lighted chamber. He could have opened the door himself, but it was anathema amongst Manyashi to use their skills against Ghohanu’s own ships.
    Inside, he was greeted by four, unknown Zeth generals, and Jahnok, the high admiral of the fleet. He was certain that the other four were buccaneers as well.
    The exchanged the greetings by simple nods, and Tomahody stood ready to receive his objectives.
    “Before we explain you your task, we will first explain why you are being sent to do what you will be sent to do.” Spoke the leftmost one, a short, nearly completely black one with grizzled mane.
    Tomahody just raised eyebrow in surprise. That was definitely NOT a standard procedure.
    “To cut the chase,” spoke one of the middle ones, a female, almost as tall as himself, with green spots on blue fur, and main in thousands of little braids. Her voice was plesent and melodic, but her tone was gruff, and heavy with professionalism. “That bald-bodied imbecile Fehazh is getting ahead of himself, and one of our most reliable, and best ‘contacts’ upon his ship has gained some info that implicates possible betrayal from his side, once his goals are reached. Understand, this is not solid info, and there are no proof, but we cannot afford to be inactive until we can gain more certain info.”
    “On the other side,” Jahnok spoke “As hard for us to admit it, we need his forces in battle.”
    “That’s why…” This one was an elderly, almost grandmotherly female on the other side of the female that had already spoken, that held not a single whisker of light fur, and had a thick, long, mobile tail; “…We have decided to go for desperate measures. Our informatants tells us that the arrogant fool has a daughter he overly dotes on, and that his daughter hates him. We need for you to take over her fighter, capture her, and whoever is accompanying her, and get her to us. Normally, we would use Gradoth, or even Nalasie, but the word is, she is heavily guarded by mercenaries, so we need both skill, and strength of arms, and that leaves us with only your order.”
    “Now, that you understand why, here is what.” The final buccaneer spoke in rasp wheeze. Tomahody couldn’t see a single feature, but sharp glow of his intense green eyes, for he was, head to toe, decked in dark, billowing, and heavily hooded robe. “Your task consists of…”

16. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    “Cause chaos, however you can,” Fehazh said. “And keep watching my daughter.”

“Is there any way that Dhel and I can be on the same ship?”

“Why not. Report to ship Shatterstar and have them equip you with a two-man fighter plane.” The intercom clicked off, and she told Dhel of their new orders.

“Excellent.”

“Find me Shatterstar,” she told the computer, “and display it on the screen.”

“Completed.”

She noted the position of the ship and zoomed towards it, Dhel close behind. “Laraj Blades reporting for a change of equipment,” she said into the intercom as she hovered before Shatterstar.

“Hatch 18 is opening now.”

They guided their ships into the opening hatch, and watched it shut before climbing out of their planes. Making their way to the door, another soldier waited for them. “If you would follow me, ma’am and ma’am,” he said, leading them through the halls to another hatch. After opening the door, the two of them examined the two-woman fighter plane, checking for flaws. Finally, Val nodded to Dhel in satisfaction. They had laser and plasma guns, snipers and cannons both, as well as a few other guns that would come in handy.

“If you run into problems or need information fed, ask to speak to the Room 23 technicians,” the soldier said, turning to leave. “This is hatch 23, by the way, and your ship has been renamed to Laraj Blades.”

“Thanks,” Dhel said. Together, they entered the plane, and Val took the pilot’s seat while she took the guns. Only when they were fully secured did Val send a command to Room 23. “Show me current stats on the rebel forces.”

The screen lit up, glowing with green and red dots as they showed the rebel and USC forces. Red outnumbered green by at least ten to one, but the biggest concentration was in the center, with a huge red ship and thousands of smaller ones surrounding it. Val smiled very slowly as the message screen began to flash words. Disaster. Ambushed. Thousands of fighters and bombers. There were several screenshots posted next to it as well. “Cause chaos? I just saw something that might amuse even you. Check your message screen.”

There was silence from the other end, but Val knew that Dhel was grinning in that predatory way she had. “How amusing. Swordbreaker? Avoiding it is going to be… interesting. ‘Thousands of fighters and bombers?’ ”

“Uh-huh. When was the last time we did something this challenging?”

“Probably when Onjin and Anzed were against us in the simulations. Remember that?”

“Don’t remind me. Ah, what the hell, though. Release fighter plane Laraj Blades, hatch 23,” she said in a louder voice into the intercom.

“Release fighter plane Laraj Blades, hatch 18. Confirm order.”

“Confirmed.”

The huge steel gates before them slid away to reveal the universe, lit up with fire, its quiet peace shattered by the fighting. If people on some distant planet could see us, what would they think? she wondered. Would they believe that their gods were warring? “Let’s get this s.o.b. moving and go sow some chaos,” Val said as she started up the engine and hit a flight pattern on the keyboard.

She had to grant the old man this; he had provided them with state-of-the-art equipment. The fighter plane responded to her lightest touch so easily that she wondered if Fehazh would give it to them as a bonus.

She drew her mind from such trivial thoughts as a large USC bomber sped towards them, covered by several smaller fighter planes. “Get the leftmost one first,” she said, speaking through the jeweled pin. “After you shoot, I’m going in a dive and loop.”

“Got it.”

Val used the controls now, rather than relying on a pre-mapped flight pattern, knowing this was going to take some delicacy. Maneuvering so that she could slip through a gap between the leftmost plane and the one beside it, she sped forward. As soon as she had passed them, she dove away from them, dropping below them, and then looping around so fast that they couldn’t track her.

She absently noted that both planes were down; Dhel had done a good job on that – as usual. The other two planes began patrolling a fixed radius around the bomber as they approached their target. “Dhel, think you could get a long-distance shot with a plasma sniper from here?”

“Don’t be stupid, Val. Just maneuver it into position.”

Val obeyed, listening to Dhel’s instructions – and glancing at the display screen herself – until Dhel was positioned. By that time, the bomber had almost reached one of the rebel planes, but it burst into flame as the plasma splattered over it. Two more shots followed, and the fighter planes ignited as well.

“How pretty,” she said to no one in particular, but Dhel just laughed.

“You’re worse than I am.”

“No denials.”

Dhel shot down a passing bomber that had been flying a little above them. “Not bad,” she commented, when another message flashed on the message screen.

“Activate audio system,” she ordered, and the voice that issued through the intercom was not one she recognized.

“Laraj Blades, are you there? This is Room 23, secretary speaking.”

“Present,” she said, slipping between a bomber and a rebel plane. Moments later, the bomber was sliced in half. “Creating chaos as ordered.”

“Lord Fehazh commands that you terminate the mission. Something’s wrong with his daughter. He wants you to go after her.”

“Feed us information,” Val demanded as Dhel read her mind – an unavoidable side effect from working with her for fifty years – and they switched seats. Piloting them through this maelstrom of war was going to require all of her attention, and she couldn’t spare that right now. “Provide last known flight coordinates, screenshots, that sort of stuff. Does her hanger have an identifying chip?”

“What’s that?”

Oh, for… “It’s a chip within the craft, that, should it be hit with a specific type of light wave, shows up on the display screen with the plane number, owner, and other such facts.”

“One moment while I get a tech.”

She rolled her eyes. “Civilians,” she said with all the disgust she could muster.

“Uh-huh.” Dhel swerved to avoid a fighter, and Val shot it down.

But the man was fast. “Laraj Blades?”

“Present and waiting.”

Now, another voice replaced the first, a woman who sounded, above all, competent and self-assured. “The identifying chip was taken out. Before that, it was number 1087.”

Taken out by who? she wanted to ask, but knew that the question would be useless.

“Past information is being fed into your computers at the moment. Any information as it is discovered will be sent on.”

“Give me the identity chip of Dailan.”

“Hold.”

“What are you doing?” Dhel hissed.

“He might have newer information. Now hush.”

“Identity chip number 13469. Password required to send message to his craft.”

“Ah well, it was worth a try. Thanks.”

“End connection?”

“End.” As soon as the intercom clicked off, she spoke to the mini-computer disguised as a jeweled pin. “Find program ‘hack.’ ”

“Completed. List all functions?”

“Find a function that can access all messaging systems.”

“Completed. Program ‘hack message system.’ Activate?”

“Activate.”

“Hack through identity chip or through other sources?”

“Identity chip.”

“Number?”

“13469.”

“Searching.”

While she was waiting, Val amused herself. Six planes had been crowded too close together, and with a plasma sniper, she ignited the one in the center. The other five burst into flame almost immediately afterwards.

“Beat that,” she said smugly.

“Already did, two years ago in the sims. Sniped a row of fighters until I missed the eighty-third one.”

“That doesn’t count. We were fighting against Wadu and while he is a positive genius in strategy, he is also the most horrible flier we’ve ever had to play.” She used the laser cannon to blow two more bombers to pieces, and switched to a sniper to ignite a supply ship. After two more shots, the whole thing was blazing merrily, and she kept on shooting the supply ships until the guard crafts noticed. “Pull out.” Dhel swerved to avoid a shot and retreated, and the guards did not follow.

“Hacked. Message system 13469 entered,” the computer said.

“Pull out to safety,” she amended. “I think I’m going to be a bit busy chatting for a while, and I’m not going to be able to shoot a gun. Determine whether the pilot is Dailan,” she said to the computer.

“Pilot is Dailan. Confirmed. Message to send?”

“Message: ‘Have you seen the old man’s daughter, and if you have, I need some information.’ ”

“Message sent. Display return message on display screen?”

“Affirmative.”

Almost at once, the display screen began to glow with words. “Who the hell are you?”

“Valhanna,” she typed back, then said to Dhel, “If you don’t mind, I think that I’ll forget to tell Dailan that I have a partner.”

“Suits me. If we’re going to deal with Dailan, I’d prefer to have as many advantages as we could get.”

But the screen was filling with words again. “How did you hack into my system?”

“Are you expecting me to spill out all my secrets into your lap?”

“What do you want, then?”

“What I said. I either need to talk to you, or meet you… Dailan.”

“Valhanna, you said?”

“Yeah.”

There was silence on the other end for a while, and Val feared that she had lost the connection, when the display screen began to glow again.

17. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    “How did you hack into my system?” Dailan entered into the console with mroe than a little annoyance.

“Are you expecting me to spill out all my secrets into your lap?” was all he got for a response.

“What do you want, then?”

“What I said. I either need to talk to you, or meet you… Dailan.”

Dailan thought it over a little “Valhanna, you said?”

“Yeah.” He nodded to himself, he always kept his eye on the market, noted his competition, the name was familiar, but new, so he did think on it too much. what he did think on was the first message that had flashed up on the monitor. ‘Have you seen the old man’s daughter, and if you have, I need some information.’

He smiled, and put his reply into the console.

"Dont expect me to spill all my secret either, but heres one that might be useful; dont call me again"

Dailan cut off all inbound communications from unknown sources and went back to the other screen showing the tracer program he'd started the moment the first communication had come in. So far it had tracked the signal asn foudn the craft's identifying chip code, scanned the vessels databank and got a list of all the places it had been as well as a readout of the ship's specs. He set the computer to show the craft on his starchart in orange and then went back to the task at hand.

When he' left the marauder he had decided to set himself back to the old man's daughter and so he did, right now his cloaked ship was skimming along behind the girl's ship, autocannons targetting any incoming craft. It was hard, ever since that new ship had arrived the system had been full of fighters and bombers and gunfire from its cannons, it was more of a battle than it had been before the ship had arrived. The rebels were taking it badly, several cruisers had gone down and more ships were being lost every second. It was little of a surprise, from what Dailan knew of swordbreaker the massive ship was like a giant weapons platform crossed with a hundred carrier ships, and on top of that tis shields were near impossible to breach.

That became evident, the rebels were being crushed and swordbreaker hadnt taken a single bit of damage, already the first parts of the rebel fleet were beginning to flee, jumping off to safety. Meanwhile Dailan was left babysitting some lackwit tyrant's daughter.

--------------------------------------------

"Its now or never" Adran shouted, with that huge ship raining death down on everything they had to get away or die here, and their plan would be twice as convincing if they 'exploded' during this mayhem. Adran thought quickly and turned to Adrianna.

"Can you get us closer to that laser fire" She turned back with fire in here eyes, anyone would ahve to be insane to go near the blasts coming from Swordbreaker, but after a moment she nodded and began weaving the craft bewteen the huge blue bolts of death. Adran saw light flinign up around them through the portholes and began to worry.

"Now!" he said, and slammed his fist down onto the launch-pad, Adrianna pulled the controls intuitively and swerved the craft down and there was a solid thunk as the charges were released. The next few seconds seemed to take forever, it was eerie quiet before the charges detonated around them. A vast blue-green wave of EM interference followed by a bright flash and then ti was done, nothing seemed to have happened but Adran went to the console and looked over it. "The cloak is up, the charges are detonated and we released some chunks of debris from the hold, if all goes well they think we're dead."

Adrianna nodded. "Now lets get out of here before we are dead" Adran was inclined to agree, he had no love of battle and wasnt to keen on changing that.

They swept up and around the laser fire coming from Swordbreaker, falling thick as rain, they may be invisible to the enemy but the ship was blanketing everything, one blue bolt shot past the starboard side, another barely missed the ship's tail. There was a flash followed by a siren. Adran woke from a daze to see the ship's emergency lights flashing. "Wha...?" he said dozily, Adrianna was still flying them away from the fight, Adran looked back to his console.

"The cloak's still working, but the back end of the ships taken a glance from a laser shot, we're leaving fuel and atmosphere" He shouted over the din of the alarm. He turned back to Adrianna, she was doing everything she could to keep them level but with the engines damaged things were bad, the hull was breached too so Adran couldnt go fix it, he didnt know what to do.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
  18. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Val swore as Dailan ended the connection, and when she tried to break into his system again, she found that he’d blocked all incoming messages from unknown sources. She toyed with the idea of hacking some more, but decided that it wasn’t worth the trouble.

“Son of a…” she muttered.

“He blocked you?” Dhel asked.

“Yeah.” Don’t expect me to spill all my secrets either, but here’s one that might be useful; don’t call me again. Val was very good at seething, and she did so now. Arrogant bastard… “All right, let’s move on, shall we?” she said aloud. “The girl needs help, at least according to the Room 23 techs.” Then she frowned. Though ‘something’s wrong with his daughter’ is a pretty generic description…

“Well, how are we supposed to find her?”

“Let’s try going to her last known coordinates. I’ll pilot.” They switched seats, and Val had the screen display the latest information. “Adrianna was here,” she said, pointing to the flashing green dot. “That’s about ten, twenty minutes from here if the path was clear, which it isn’t. Gun down as many as you can.”

“Oh, whoop-de-do. I love shooting things down.”

Val skimmed through a narrow maze of enemies, keeping an eye out for any sign of the old man’s daughter. Dhel was taking down ships left and right, no longer pausing to carefully aim, for it was unneeded. The USC ships were so tightly packed together that a random shot was guaranteed to hit a craft. On the other hand, it was almost impossible for their ship to maneuver anywhere.

“Did we have a laser cannon in the front or not?” she asked Dhel.

“Yeah, two. Pretty powerful.”

“Hang on.” Val glanced at the screen, noting everyone’s position, then said, “All right, use those two cannons simultaneously, got it? And program all the other guns to go on auto.”

She could hear the clicking of keys as Dhel typed everything in. “OK, 3, 2, 1 – ”

Everywhere around them, ships exploded into dust. Val accelerated through, trusting in the cannons to clear them a path. Several minutes later, they broke free of the cloud of dust. As one, they turned around to watch the trail of destruction they had left behind and grinned. “That was fun.”

Dhel shot down the lone ship that had somehow escaped the carnage, perhaps by dropping low, and replied, “Next time, why don’t you warn me what you’re planning first?”

“Wasn’t it more fun this way?”

“Yeah, but… ah well, about how far are we?”

“About halfway there,” she said, checking the number of USC ships they had to get through. “All right, here’s my warning.”

They repeated the same tactics successfully; the USC ships feared to fire lest they hit a comrade. And approximately fifteen minutes later, they orbited around the area where Adrianna’s ship had last been seen, wondering where the girl had gone.

Nothing was there.

19. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Sarhun paused in his work as a whisper ghosted through his mind. The stars are falling… The alien voice was almost frightened, but it withdrew before he could examine it further.

He began his weeding again, but his heart was no longer in his task, and with a sigh, he walked to the stream beside his house. Dipping his hands in the water, he scrubbed off the dirt.

Feelings fur rub against fur was… strange. It was beautiful, glossy fur, but nonetheless, it was… fur. No matter that it was the color of the moon, and thus an omen in itself, for it was Irai’s color, and she was the patron of healing.

Sarhun wasn’t sure if he believed in omens anymore.

Shaking the droplets off, he shook back his braid of silver hair and looked at himself in the stream, using the water as a mirror. Superficially, he seemed normal. Sad blue eyes stared back at him, his face seeming so fragile that one good blow could shatter it into pieces. The only not-normal thing was the blood-red antlers sprouting from his head.

Yes, only a small difference, he thought sardonically. That, and the silver fur that’s starting to grow on me. I look like a stag. A mythical one.

Extending his mind just a little, he made contact with a small bird in the tree above him. Fear distress pain war, the frantic thoughts whirled. War.

That was a concept that Sarhun had taught his little “spies.” War?

War, the little bird said with finality. War. Fly away. Not safe.

I can’t leave here. You won’t be safe. I need to protect you.

Finally, it calmed down, and fixed him one beady little eye. When he held out a hand, it hopped to its new perch. The talons were sharp, but it was careful not to puncture his skin. New ones. Do not respect you. Sarhun wondered where it had picked up this vocabulary, and it said, You. Chatter. I learn.

I somehow changed all the creatures I’ve been talking with? he asked in shock.

Little. Me most. But must leave. I go, with.

You’re coming with me?

I go, with. And others.

Suddenly, Sarhun was very aware of the dozens of eyes peering at him from the cover of the bushes, and he made up his mind. If they were relying on him to take them to safety, out of the way of war, he would do it.

But where to go? The Eldorans were out of the question, which left only the Ghalians. He flung his consciousness and skimmed the land through the trees, feeling the pain that the land felt… and the people.

I suppose it’s the Ghalians, then. If there were people in need of his help, he would go and help them. And with that, Sarhun draped a cloak about his distinguishing features and slipped out into the twilight.

20. AcrobaticHippo

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Pandemonium was reigning over Fehazh’s rule in his ship. His experienced, highly-skilled pilots had all turned into little girls in a matter of minutes, and were frantically pawing at the controls, narrowly avoiding the deathly blasts. All around him, his forces were crumbling; some of them were getting massacred by the planes and blasts, while others were fleeing to safety, speeding past their dead comrades.

He wanted to get out of this bloodbath. He did not want to die this way; a desperate, helpless man. He wanted to die with power at his hands; with the knowledge that he could do anything he wanted even on his deathbed. He was not prepared to let go of power either.

He also wanted to create a bloodbath for Dailan and the Laraj sisters if Adrianna died.

“We’re fleeing now. Be quick about it! Ignore all requests for backup!” he roared at the pilots.

One of them, Redyn Hawthorne, a young pink-haired woman with an infamous liking for space bubblegum, turned around. “There’re people dying here, we need to lead them out of here!” she cried to shouts of agreement.

Fehazh lost his temper. “DO I LOOK LIKE I CARE!?!?! GET ME OUT OF HERE NOW OR I’LL HAVE YOU EXECUTED FOR DISOEBEYING YOUR SUPERIOR’S ORDERS WHEN WE GET BACK!!!”

The pilots glanced at each other before doing as he said. Fehazh gripped the arms of his seat tightly; but this time, it was with fear, not hauteur. He had to get out of here…he had never failed before, and he would no this time.

The intercom connecting his ship to the Ghohanu leader’s craft crackled. “Ghohanu requesting backup. Do you read me?”

“Ignore,” Fehazh automatically said. The pilots, who were about to forward the message to one of the fleets by reflex, stopped and continued navigating through the blasts.

“Ghohanu requesting backup. I repeat, do you read me?” the voice repeated, this time with a hint of impatience.

Fehazh leaned over. “I don’t give a rat’s bollocks about whether you lot survive or not,” he snarled before switching the intercom off. The Ghohanu could take their codex crap and whatnot with them to their graves, but he was not about to follow. “What are you looking at? Continue!” he barked at the slightly stunned pilots. They obeyed.

Seconds passed before a message beeped on his terminal. It was from Dailan. “Update on Adrianna’s location,” the glowing letters spelled out.

“What’s the matter? Don’t expect any help, you’re getting none,” Fehazh typed back,

There was a pause before he received a reply. “I was of the opinion that you spend your money on people who are skilled enough to decipher dots on the screen .”

Fehazh gritted his teeth and typed back. “Don’t get funny with me, young man. What about Adrianna’s location?”

“She’s alive, but her location seems to be one subject to suspicion,” was the reply.

“I told her to follow my craft should she decide to flee, and you know that. Is she fleeing?” he punched in.

“I’ve plotted her location against my map and fit in the possible ways to reach Xenu, and she’s traveling along one of them now.” was Dailan’s response.

What’s she going to do there? It’s not a planet under the Elhcha, he thought. Then, the possibility struck him. Fehazh stared at the screen in shock for a few moments. His own daughter, betraying him? He had known for some time that she did not like his ways (he always told her that it was for the best) but betray him, after the years spent on bringing her up and training her?

Shrieks of shock died down slowly, only to be replaced by slowly loudening howls of hurt. Another message beeped on the screen.

“Orders?”

His hands shaking slightly, he typed the dreaded words : “Kill her.”

Another short pause before he added, “I’ll pay you double for killing her.” He wanted Dailan to do this job quickly.

He waited before the reply came. “Will do.”

Fehazh could not bring himself to repeat the instructions to the two girls; he turned to the pilot next to him and gestured. The pilot understood; he swiveled over to one of the intercoms and began speaking .

As soon as he finished, he looked up worriedly. “You want them to kill Adrianna, right, sir?” he repeated, just to make sure.

“If you can’t do that, I’ll do it myself. Restore connection to Room 23,” Fehazh said as he leaned over. Before he could do anything, though, the pilots screamed out as three of the blasts hit the ship.

Adrianna lifted her head to survey the surroundings once more, then stopped midway. Twelve fighter planes had surrounded Aalya’s craft and were opening fire; unless there was external help, Aalya’s already heavily damaged craft would blow up; taking her life along with it. The allied ships were doing nothing to help her; they were all fleeing for their own lives like mice.

“Aalya!!!” she cried out helplessly as the shots rained mercilessly on the general’s ship. She wanted to help her; but how was she to do so when it would also mean that her’s and Adran’s chances of escape would be whittled down to nearly zero?

“It’s now or never,” Adran shouted as Aalya’s ship exploded. Debris flew everywhere as the gigantic fireball glowed brightly; Adrianna stared at it, almost hypnotized.

I’ve seen this time and again, but each time I wonder how something as horrible as death could look so beautiful.

Adran broke her trance. “Can you get us closer to that laser fire?”

Focus, Adrianna told herself fiercely. She would mourn the death of Aalya later. She turned, looking at him with disbelief at his seemingly ridiculous suggestion. A split second, though, it hit her.

This will be VERY convincing, she thought as she navigated The Vigilante around the insanely fast blasts.

“Now!” Adran yelled as Adrianna worked the controls and the craft swooped down. For a moment, all was quiet; the two looked at each other as the charges went off around them and the interference occurred. Adran then got up and went over to the console, peering at it.

"The cloak is up, the charges are detonated and we released some chunks of debris from the hold, if all goes well they think we're dead," he told her.

She nodded. “Now let’s get out of here before we ARE dead,” she replied, thinking briefly of Aalya and the gigantic fireball. Adran murmured agreement.

Adrianna steered the ship around the blasts, her heart thumping madly. Swordbreaker was providing them quite a challenge; a few shots had nearly hit them. She needed to give her all if she wanted to get through this…

“AARGH!”

The ship’s emergency lights were flashing bright red.

“Wha-?” Adran asked dozily. She could not reply. With the ship’s stern already damaged, she had to put in more concentration and strength if she wanted to get them out of the war zone safely.

"The cloak's still working, but the back end of the ships taken a glance from a laser shot, we're leaving fuel and atmosphere" He shouted. The laser shot part Adrianna already knew, but it was the fuel and atmosphere part which was unpleasant news to her. If they could be detected, then the cloaking shield amounted to nought then.

She sighed. “It’s okay…I’ll keep flying. We’ll just hope that no one sees us heading towards the new home,” she told him.

“Umm…I don’t think so, it seems someone’s following us…” he responded a few moments later.

“What!?” she nearly yelled. Lady Luck was definitely not on her side. “Is it a USC craft?”

Adran peered at his console. “No, it’s on our side, but it’s not one of the Elhcha forces…weird, neither of us noticed this colour before.”

Adrianna took one look at hers and felt her heart drop. Grey dots denoted independent warriors hired by the Elhcha. She did not know how or why this person became interested in chasing her, but she did knew that this person was doing his or her job well.

Adran was still speaking. “Shatterstar emblazoned across their plane…I can see two women in that plane, one of them looks like Valhanna…I’m not sure who the other one is.”

Adrianna was unable to speak.

--

Last edited: Feb 2, 2006