RPG #1 - Under the Dark of Night

Discussion in 'RPG #1 - Under the Dark of Night' started by Nienor, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Still musing to himself over Cymri's 'purring', Darion resumed his seat next to Gwandon. The peculiar man who had interupted their conversation earlier seemed to have disapeared, and Alvarel replaced him.

"Are you awake elf?" All he got was a slight nod from Alvarel. "We have discovered the man who stole Cymri's horse." He went on in a softer tone. "He sits at the bar with Menecrow. The Lady would like him followed but not harmed. She feels that there may be more to his story that stealing horses. She would like you and Menecrow to carry out this task. I suggest you begin your duties immediately. You might also want to share your orders with our one eyed friend when he is finished mingling with the man we are hunting." Not giving Alvaren a chance to reply Darion stood and walked up the stairs to his room. It had been a long sleepless night and he needed a bit of rest. Besides, he was not sure if he could just sit and look at the man they were after without spiiling his blood. Perhaps Cymri was right in asigning the task of following the man to these two after all.

Once upstairs Darion balanced a clay mug on the door handle, shed all but his underclothes, washed, and climbed into his blankets. His sword propped against the wall by the head of the bed, and his unsheathed dagger under his pillow.

Last edited: May 2, 2004
  2. aule

aule The Smithy of the Valar

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am sorry about my gruffness earlier... I deemed it necesary, for I was not quite sure what kind of people you are, but now I see that I can be more soft in my speech... may I lend my skills to your party?

3. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Trying hard not to flinch from the man's bad breath, Fallorian turned his head towards the dishevelled man next to him.
    "And whom might you be to inquire what i ask?" he asked the man
    "Who am I? I am Menecrow the great, and a better than you" the man replied his breath heavy with the smell of alcohol.
    "I see, well i would suggest that you moderate your language to the people's of this village, or you will soon find yourself sleeping on the ground outside this Tavern"
    "Is that so? I think, that you should keep your suggestions to yourself" the man replied his face gorwing dark, as he poked a finger into Fallorina's shoulder. Sweeping aside the finger Fallorian grew irritated, "I would also suggest you keep your hands off me sir"
    "Well well, is that a threat i hear"
    "It all depends on how you take it"
    "I take it as a threat boy" the man siad his voie heated, as he yet again poked another inger at Fallorian.
    "I am sorry Samal, but I wuold rather not cause a scene in here, I'll be off"
    "Don't hurt the man Fallorian, I need customers you know" Samal replied eyeing Menecrow in disgust
    "Don't worry"
    "What's this, say anything you have to my face boy" Menecrow interrupted, but Fallorian ignored the man as he made his way to the door.
    "Come back here boy, I havn't finished questioning you" yet again ignoring the man, Fallorian walked through the door, and saw out of his eye the man get up and make his way to the door aswell.

Making his round the Tavern, Fallorian was still in the street when Menecorw came into the steet and shouted out to him, "Come back you wretched horsethief, or I'll stop you myself". He noticed the man held a crossbow in his hand. keeping faith in his new found abilites, he continued walking. A few moments later, with a most inhuman speed and accuracy he spun round unsheathing his sword, and deflected a bolt aimed for his leg.
    "I would not do that again if i were you" he told the man, who looked at him dumfounded and continued walking to collect Lightfoot.

4. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    ALvarel Looked over to Mencrow and sighed at the fact that he was lumbered with him. He stood up from the table and went over to a seat in the corner of the taver where he sat for awhile watching the man he had been told to watch, eveentually the man stood up and made his way to the exit, Mnecorw was not paying attention and so Alvarel went out and followed him himself. Alvarel pulled out his knife ready to attcak the man.

5. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Creeping out of her room quietly, Cymri did her best to avoid any one else in her party. She had a few personal errands to run she did not wish to inform the men of. Tiptoeing quietly down the hallway, she passed Darion's room. Pausing for a moment outside of his room, she heard a low buzzing sound, almost like a thousand bees congregated together. Laughing, she realized it was nothing more than Darion snoring, obviously he had gotten no sleep the night before. Cymri walked quietly past his room, not wishing to disturb him. Shaking her head, she pitied the woman who had to sleep next to Darion.

After quietly leaving the tavern through the servants door in the back, Cymri sought out one of the women she saw on the street. Speaking in low tones to the woman, "Excuse me, do you know where I can find a seamstress in this town? I have had a small mishap with my wardrobe while traveling."

"Down the end of this street, mistress." she answered taking in Cymri's disheveled appearance. "The only one in town."

"Thank you for your assistance." Cymri replied with a small nod of her head. She then started down the street to the dressmakers, hoping the woman had something in the store that would fit with little alterations. Down at the end of the dirty street, Cymri found what she was looking for. The shop was small and did not have a customer in sight, but it was better than nothing. Entering the shop, she was immediately met by a small round woman. "Can I help you, m'lady?" she querried.

"Yes," Cymri ventured, "I need a new dress or two. Believe it or not my clothing got lost during my travels. I have nothing but what I'm wearing." she laughed ruefully.

"I can fix that problem in no time" the motherly looking woman replied. She brought out a blue and a green gown that were approximately Cymri's size. "They're not very fancy m'lady. But serviceable for travel." The next hour was taking up with Cymri looking over the limited selection of goods in the store and attempting to have those gowns fitted. By the end of that time, the two pre-made gowns were being altered, Cymri was very pleased. As she turned to leave the seamstress inquired, "Where should I deliver these to when they're finished in a couple hours?"

"The Fiery Balrog Tavern. I should be easy to find, I'm the only lady staying there."

"You're staying at that run-down tavern m'lady?" she asked aghast. "I would have assumed a lady like yourself would have been staying with Lord Sabat. But then again, he does keep to himself. And those awful rumors....." "Probably better for you to be staying at the tavern" she said.

"What kind of rumors?" Cymri inquired with a raised eyebrow.

"Nothing you should be worrying yourself about m'lady. Now, I'll have those dresses delivered when they're finished. And the other items you requested also." the seamstress emphasized as she shooed Cymri out the door. Knowing when she wasn't wanted, Cymri left the seamstress's and made her way back towards the tavern.

6. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    The sun had not yet reached midday when Darion woke from his sleep. Not enough rest surely, but he had not been sleeping much of late and doing so during the day was even more difficult. He spent a few moments at the washstand before getting dressed. He had a spare shirt or two in his saddle bags, it was refreshing to feel clean after several long days. Strapping his dagger to his leg and buckling his sword belt around his waist Darion left his coat hanging on a peg and grabbed his dark blue cloak.

Making his way downstairs he hoped to find a few of his companions and hopefully some relevant information about this young horse thief. He doubted though that anything useful would come, Menecrow seemed to be useful to some extent despite his dirty habbits and strange manner. This elf the party adopted was another story, he seemed to be more interested in lurking about in the shadows than getting anything accomplished, and this new fellow that had berged in on their breakfast. Who knows what he wants, from his attitude Darion more than feared he would need to stick his blade through him before it was all done and over with.

Entering the common room Darion saw Gwandon still sitting at the table where he had left him earlier, Menecrow and Alvarel were no where in sight. Perhaps they could actually do what they were asked. More likely they were out causing trouble somewhere. Nodding to Gwandon, Darion took a seat against the wall, forced himself to take his hand from his sword hilt, and pulled his short pipe from one of the small pockets inside of his cloak. "Any word from the others?" He inquired to Gwandon.

7. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Suddenly there is a scream from outside and a woman runs in shouting "murder!!", the owner of the tavern storms out from behind the bar "What? Murder? what you saying?" the distressed woman looks at everyone in the tavern "there is a body of a man in the stables!! somone has killed him horribly, his eyes have been cut out and.." she breaks off and bursts into tears. Everyone in the tavern goes quiet.

The Inn keeper shrugs his shoulders "one of us better go and have a look!" after a lot of "You go", "No you!", the Inn keeper lets out a sigh "Don't fret yourselves I'll go and have a look, deary me what a lot o good you are!" he leaves the tavern, he is gone for several minutes, he returns and he is as pale as a sheet "you don't want to go into those stables!" he calls to his one of his men to guard it.

8. Nienor

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Just as Cymri made her way back towards the tavern, she heard a commotion over by the stables. She was nearly avalanced by two men hustling towards the stable. Picking up her skirts, she walked a little bit more quickly over to the stables near the tavern. "Could either of you telling me what's going on?" she inquired.

"Nothing for ye to worry about." one of the men replied.

"Whaddya mean, nothing for her to worry about." the other man interjected. He spat on the ground and glared at Cymri. "First a group of strangers comes into town and now someone is dead. I don't think that coincidence." he growled.

"I am certain it was no one who accompanies me." Cymri replied in her frostiest tone. "Now if you will excuse me, I have better things to do today than talk to peasants today."

With those words, she whirled about and walked to the tavern. When Cymri stepped inside the first thing she noticed was Menecrow and Alvarel were nowhere to be seen. Gwandon and Darion were sitting at a table quietly conversing with each other. Cymri took a seat there wordlessly. She was too engrossed in thought to converse with Darion and Gwandon. Glancing around the tavern, Cymri noticed the stranger who called himself the Black Spear was still in the tavern. He seemed to be keeping to himself, she doubted he had left the tavern all morning. While thinking about the murder, she began to wonder about Alvarel and Menecrow. Both were obviously dangerous men and she doubted they had reservations about murder. But why would either of them murder a man in a town they just arrived in. The whole situation made no sense to her. Her only hope was that no one would place blame on the party and run them out of town before she decided it was necessary to leave.

9. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Watching Cymri closely Darion thought she looked concerned. No doubt she had heard the tales of this killing. "If you will excuse me, now that you have returned I would like to have a look at the stable." Still puffing at his pipe Darion rose and left the inn through the servants door in the rear.

Nearing the door of the stable, the two men set to guard it step to bar his way. "If you don't mind, I have a keen eye for detail. Perhaps we can learn something before a bunch of fools trample all over in there." The two men looked at each other doubtfully. Both tightly gripping the clubs. "If you'd like you can watch me from the door, I don't mean any harm." With reluctance the men stepped aside and let Darion enter the stable. With the door standing wide open it was fairly well lit.

Sprawled out in the first stable was the body of a man in his middle years, stocky and of average height, most likely the stablemaster. The man's eyes had been cut out of his head, and his throat slit from ear to ear. From the look of the cut he was attacked from behind. Like he was hunted, certainly not some argument gone awry, this was methodic. Before turning to leave the stable Darion made a few interesting observations about the tracks left in the moist sod on the stall floor.

10. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Hearing a scream, Fallorian stayed clam, as he made his way to the stable. Upon entering he saw one of Cymir's companions inspecting the body. He saw that the man on the floor was the stablemaster.
    "Ren, make sure you tell Farod's wife what happened, actually I'll tell her, since i need to tell ym father aswell" he informed one of the men holding a club. Going to the dead body of Faord he put two fingers to his lips and then to the man's forehead. Getting up he untied Lightfoot, heading off to Farod's house, ready to tell his wife the depressing news. Fallorain had grown accustomed to seeing a fellow villager die, but he still could not help the feeling of loss, and somehow he knew it was one of the new people staying at the Tavern.

11. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Alvarel re-appeared again, he walked across the town square and saw all the moarning people in the vilages he smiled slightly to himself, as he past the stable at the back of the tavern he saw the body that he had dumped the previous night before, again he smiled to himslef as he was proud of the kill.

he entered the tavern and sat himself "this place hasn't chaged he said quietly to himself so no one could hear him.

he then leaned back in his chair and put his feet on the table "I followed that man you wanted me to watch, he lives across the square, next to the bakers"

12. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Menecrow stood up from where he was observing the turmoil, cast into a shadow hidden in a back ally across from the stables. Menecrow had been wandering the streets to get a feel for the town, not to mention help settle down his wits and plan revenge upon the fool child who had confronted him earlier. Seeing Darion, trailed like a puppy by the fool child, it appeared to Menecrow that both went to analyze the situation. Menecrow did not personally need to see the murder, his skills were beyond that. Talking to several townsfolk, who were either easy to comply or made easy to comply by a couple simple techniques, Menecrow had put together a vivid picture in his mind of what it looked like. Knowing that few villagers would attempt murder, and knowing that most of the villagers suspected Menecrow's party, Menecrow simplified his list. It helped to know that this was one murder he did not personally commit, although Menecrow would of jumped for the chance to help. Muttering to himself, Menecrow thought outloud. 'The ugly elf seems likely, but after only two days with this fool group, how would I know that it was not Darion or Gwandon? Or even m'Lady?'

Walking out into the sunlight, Menecrow continued onwards to the tavern. A couple of villagers eyed him with glares, but with a couple curses, that could surely name Menecrow a killer, they left his vicinity quickly. Walking in, he saw the elf Alvarel, and sat down beside him. After several moments of silence, Alvarel mentioned where the fool child, and his family, lived. Menecrow took note of the directions, they would be useful eventually.

Yelling at the innkeeper that he still wanted the best breakfest available, as Menecrow had not eaten yet, Menecrow sat back and waited for the rest of the days events to unfold.

13. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Still pondering the peculiar tracks near the body Darion turned to leave the stable. From across the street he could see Menecrow meandering towards the front of the inn. No doubt he had not been following the young man he was assigned to. More than likely neither of those two would stick to their duties long enough to learn anything useful. "We should hang that young idiot like the horse thief he is" he thought to himself. Though Menecrow fit the profile of one who would attack an inocent man like this, there was no way these boot prints came from that dumpy, shuffling fellow. No, Darion had pretty much decided to himself who was responsible.

14. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Leaving behind a much tearful wife, he headed back home to his father, leading lightfoot by the rein at a mderate speed. He thought over what had just happened, what if another was killed, he would have to sort this out, well it was his duty as the son of the man who wa ead of the village, the people needed someone to protect them, although there were few of the elders who could take care of themselves.

Reaching home, he tied Lightfoot, and went inside, heading for his father's study to tell him what happened. Entering his father's study he noticed he was deep in ponder over some maps and books. Clearing his throat he got his father's attention, "Father, Farod has been killed, his body still lies in the stable's. You may want to visit his wife."
    "Killed? BUt when"
    "Not very long ago, i would say in the time it took me to walk back"
    "This is terrible, you know wwe must find the killer?"
    "Yes i know father, i'll inspect the body further to see the killing method."
    "Good, we must find the wretch" his father replied his tone heated. Farod had been a close friend of his father's, and he knew he had to find the killer.

15. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Alvarel glanced around the room, the hood still covered his eyes, he saw Menecrow and sighed at his negative and vulga behavior, however he soon began to smile as the thought of killing him slowly and painfully entered his mind, offcourse he allowed know one in the room to even suspect him, it was funny as Alvarel was so obviously a suspect, however it mattered not to him at how rediculous they were, running around like headless chickens pointing the finger at another person without questioning themselves as they were in their minds eye perfect.

Again Alvarel lost his train of thought when he heard Mencrow yelling at the inn keeper, he kept his eyes on him until he sat down at the table next to him his long legs taking up a lot of room, Alvarel under his hood frowned and in his mind he pondored on what would happen if he lashed out of Menecrow and hacked those legs off, he smiled at the thought and leaned back to rest his hands behind his head.

16. Nienor

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    For nearly an hour, Cymri sat lost in thought. First she cursed Lord Aquilius for sending her on this mission. How was she supposed to locate a missing gem in all of Elysium. She had been given no useful help from him. A few coins and the name of a man she vaguely knew was of no assistance to her. She was not even sure what the Star Emerald was useful for. Mumbling bitter curses under her breath, Cymri contemplated running away from her current home and starting anew elsewhere. What were the chances that Lord Aquilius would bother to find her?

Next she began obsessing over her current situation. Sidetracked by a useless mission looking for a horse. When they had left Four Corners, Cymri was sure a few hour diversion was all that would be necessary to find Hitha. Now they were staying in a run down little village staking out a man who had stolen a horse. Grumbling, she began to think she would spend more money looking for the horse than the animal was worth. But changing her mind was out of the question. This band of mis-matched men would never follow her if she did not make firm decisions, irregardless of the gold she would hand out.

Finally, her mind dwelt on the recent murder. The whole town would suspect one of the men who accompanied her or even Cymri. She recoiled at that second thought. She had been called a murderess before, even though she was only indirectly responsible for that man's death. Horror filled her as she remembered her near escape. If the townspeople held Darion, Menecrow, Alvarel or Gwandon responsible, no doubt they would hold her responsible too. She had no intention of hanging for someone elses crime.

With frustration building up inside of her, Cymri absently noted that she was biting her nails again. A habit borne out of boredom or deep thought. She carefully stilled her hands in her lap, glancing around the room thoughtfully. She jumped up in shock when she realized both Menecrow and Alvarel were in the common room. Weren't they sent to watch the horsethief? Shouldn't one of them be doing that job currently? It galled her to watch Menecrow swilling food like a pig and Alvarel reclining in a chair when they had important work to do.

Anger flashing in her blue eyes, she stood up and stomped over to where Menecrow was sitting. Briefly he looked up from gnawing on a greasy chicken leg. Then went immediately back to gnawing meat. With growing impatience, Cymri cleared her throat to get his attention. Menecrow either didn't hear her or paid her no mind, instead reaching out for his goblet of wine. Before his hand reached the goblet, Cymri had taken it out of his reach. Staring directly into his face she hissed, "Can't you and Alvarel manage a simple job. You were asked to keep track of the horsethief. Instead, I see you here imbibing wine like other people breathe and Alvarel lazing around. What kind of fools did I hire?"

17. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Darion re-entered the Inn through the rear, still considering the scene in the stable. The inn keeper was standing behind the bar having a heated discussion with two men, seemingly about the murder. Cymri caught his attention from across the room as she scolded Menecrow. Apparently she was not very happy about the young man going about without their eyes on him. What a disfunctional group I've found myself in, he almost chuckled at the thought.

Stopping one of the serving women he asked for a meal. If anything was to get done today he would need his energy. Taking a seat at the bar he began his meal, wondering what it was that Cymri would have them do, it seemed that this adventure was hitting more snags than he'd anticipated.

18. aule

aule The Smithy of the Valar

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Am I to lend my spear to aid this party? I have been essentially keeping to myself for the last few hours.... seeing all of what has gone on and laughing to myself the whole time because I could see all of the looks on your faces and thinking about how incredibly odd this quest shall be since you have been sitting here for two or three days looking for a horse that isn't worth that much time, I advise that we head out as soon as we know who committed the murder.

19. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Alvarel looked up at her "Ok listen lady I already followed that man and I know that he lives exactly opposite this tavern, I am sitting here as to keep and eye on his front door, he is inside his house some people believe it or not do not spend all their time looking for things taken from them" he paused an looked at her properly so he could see his eyes he then said slowly "so are you going to sit down and let me do as you asked?" his eyes were menacing and they sent a shiver down her spine.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2004
  20. Nienor

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Nienor looked up from her tirade at Menecrow. She had several more choice words for the man before she was interrupted by this stranger. Her eyes narrowed and darkened as she began to berate the stranger, "Who are you and why do you have interest in what I do. Since you have no idea where I am going, is there a reason I need to leave? Perhaps visiting this town is my only goal." She smoothed her skirts, pausing for a moment, then began again. "Two or three days?" she scoffed. "We only arrived here last night. And due to this murder I do not see us leaving anytime soon."

While she was in the midst of yelling at the man she hardly knew, Alvarel decided to voice his opinion on matters. Realizing her temper was beginning to get the better of her, Cymri took a deep breath before blood was shed in the tavern. During her pause she wondered how she got stuck with a party of men, the most exasperating creatures in all of Elysium. They were going to drive her to distraction if they all felt they were in charge of the party.

Cymri took a deep breath before speaking to the elf; she needed to stay calm and collected. Using all her self control, she fought back a smirk at his menacing glare. It frightened her for a moment. But Cymri was well used to dealing with dangerous men. The elf did not daunt her in the least. "Master Elf," she began. "Does it not occur to you that a house may have more than one entrance and exit? When I order things done, they will be done to MY specifications, not yours. Now I highly suggest either you or Menecrow the Mediocre watch the house or go back from whatever rock you crawled from under. Do I make myself clear?" she finished with a barely contained fury.