RPG #1 - Under the Dark of Night

Discussion in 'RPG #1 - Under the Dark of Night' started by Nienor, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Nearing the smithy, Fallorian saw a small group of four enter the only Tavern in the village. There was a noblely born looking lady with three rough looking men. Odd what coulda lady be doing with three ruffians in a remote village? Oh well he would find out later from Samal. Going to the back of the smithy, Fallorian entered the stable door, unlocking it with a spare key Jaichal had given him, or rather taken. peering into the dinly lit stable Fallorian found Lightfoot, contently tied to a post. Bending down to check the mare's shoes he found them all fitted with finely made metal. Untyin the mare, he led it out of the stable. Once out of the stable Fallorian thought he saw a movement in the thin woods surrounding the village, but looking again he saw nothing. Turning away he made his way back to his house.

Reaching back home, he stood and looked at it. The house was one of the biggest of the village, this was mainly because many years ago his grandfather had rallied the people and saved the village from an of pillaging bandits, and ever since then they have always looked upon Fallorians family with a good face. The peoples of his village were a close community, and they would stick up for eachother is anyone was in trouble. But that wasn't the thing on his mind that was most important, the Emerald, the sword, could it truly do as his father said? and what did his father mean they will see tomorrow? Oh they were too amny things to think about, better leave it until he slept. Leading the horse to the houses small stable, he tied Lightfoot, and made his way back into the house, longing to finally get some sleep in a proper bed, and not grass.

2. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Noticing Gwandon's small pouch, Cymri immediately reached for hers to pay for the rooms. She handed the the barkeep several heavy golden coins. "I wish for rooms for me and the three men traveling with me. I'm sure this will cover supper tonight for everyone. Serve the men whatever they wish. I would like a tray in my room. I am exhausted from traveling." she said supressing another yawn. "In the morning could you please have a breakfast for traveling ready just before dawn" she finished ordering with a smile for the barkeep.

Briefly she remembered that her saddlebags containing a change of clothing were still attached to her mare. The clothing was already worn for a day but would have to suffice until she could obtain more. "As ye wish m'lady" he answered, "Cedric here will show ye the way to yer rooms. One of maids will bring ye a tray."

"Thank you very much." Cymri replied as she followed Cedric up the narrow staircase. She left Gwandon behind; he could explain to Darion and Menecrow where she was. The man lead her up the staircase down a barely lit hallway. Opening a battered door he mumbled, "Yer room, m'lady."

Cymri managed a civil nod before entering the room, while handing Cedric a silver penny. Despite the less than stellar shape of the inn, the room looked acceptable. In the center of the room was a comfortable bed, a small desk and bureau flanked the walls. Grinning when she saw the bed, Cymri immediately flopped face down on the bed, nearly ready to sleep in her clothes. A sharp knock on the door woke her up instantly. Assuming it was the maid with her tray she answered, "Come in."

3. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    With the rooms paid for, Gwandon told the others to enquire with Samal about their rooms and then sat down at a table in the corner of the tavern. He was wide awake despite the time, Ordering some stew and ale he filled his stomach untill he was content. All the while he was thinking about today. He thought about the task he was on before he met Lady Cymri, would aiding her delay his task too much. But what troubled him most was the elf, Gwandon could not shake the feeling of recognition he felt when he first saw him and heard his words. He had never seen him before, nor heard his name untill that day, but something told him that he knew who the elf was.

Gwandon broke his concentration and realised that his armour and supplies were still strapped onto his steed. He could not leave his valuables out in the stable for the night, they were worth too much to him.

As he left the warmth of the Fiery Balrog he noticed eyes in the wood ahead, it was that damn elf again. Ingoring him, Gwandon turned towards the stable, as he did so he saw a figure down the road with a horse turning the corner. It was the thief, he recognised him from his first confrontation. Running up to the corner he looked around. The thief was gone, but at least he knew which part of the village to look.

He turned back to the stable and found his belongings safe, untying them from the harness he held the heavy armour, weaponry and his folded cloak in one hand. He carried them into the tavern and took them to his room. He placed them behind the bed, as he had done so last time he was here, and laid down. He thought more about the events of the day, but in doing so he drifted off to sleep.

4. aule

aule The Smithy of the Valar

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As they all start to filter up the stairs to the rooms, an eerie silence filled the hall as a tall, dark half-elf strolled into the room... this was the great, the terrible Thranduil II (also known as Black Spear), he casually laid his cloak, plate armor, and most of his weapons on a table near the entrance, as he was doing this, he said in his husky bass voice, " I am here now and I would like to join this quest that I have heard about." Sleep on it tonight and give me an answer in the morning.

5. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Menecrow lead his stolen grey stallion to the stables and found him a decent stall. After making sure the stableboy understood to the uttermost that no one was to touch his horse, Menecrow unstraped his crossbow and bundle of bolts. Making for the inn, he decided to sit down briefly on the side of the mud street by a pile of dung, adding another layer of stench to his filty clothes. Seeing the fool Gwandon running about during the night, then dashing into the tavern quickly, he bit into his tounge hard and felt the warmth of his own blood in his mouth. Spitting the blood and salvia mixture out at an elderly lady passing by with what appeared to be her son, Menecrow closed his eyes and rested his head against the hard plaster building. With a rueful and horrible voice he started to sing loudly an old folk song, yet Menecrow altered the words to fit his tastes.

As the final words died, Menecrow pushed himself up again and walked into the tavern. Several men moved away from him swiftly, the stench of filth was uncommon in a passive village. The tavern and innkeeper, on the other hand, made out in a welcoming voice.

"My good man, welcome to the Fiery Balrog! What can I do for you this fine evening?"

Menecrow gave a crude reply hard to understand with the accent, but a few close ears heard the request for a throat to slit. Walking on, Menecrow journeyed up the stairs, unsure of which room was his. Seeing a serving maid, who was trying to hide her obivious movements away from Menecrow's stench, Menecrow asked in a demanding voice. Pointing to the servants quarters located next to what Menecrow assumed was Cymri's room, Menecrow gave a grunt of disgust and made to slap the young maid. She quickly dashed off though, so Menecrow conceded and made his way into the small chambers. Laying his crossbow with bolts against a wall, Menecrow laid down on the bed and did not bother to undress. Before letting sleep take him, he muttered out loud to no one.

"A flaming noble lady, two sickening fools, and one hell of an ugly elf. Poor throw of the dice this round, young Menecrow the Wise."

6. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    The gentle distrubance of his dream came from a rocking, and he opened his eyes to see Nana leaning over him. Considering he had not slept very long he was surprisingly refreshed. Pushing his bed covers to one side, he ros of bed, and went to his cupboard to get on some clothing. Fallorian was not in the least embaressed standing half naked infront of Nana,a s she had known him a long time. Changing into a freash set of clothing he went downstairs to have some breakfast, a good portion of porridge would do him good.
    "Ah, had a good sleep my boy?" his father asked him as he entered the room.
    "Yes, quite well thankyour father" he replied
    "Good, good. After you've eaten, come to the back, oh and bring your sword, we're gonna see what your made of". To this Fallorian just blinked but quickly recovered as he sat down and began to eat a healhy portion of porridge.

Finishing the porridge, he went to his father's study to pick up his sword, and made his way into the back, where they had a small garden, if open space with a little grass here and there could be called that.
    "Oh good your here, go stand over there in that space" his father pointed over to the far end of the 'garden'. Doing as his father said, Fallorian made his way to where his father pointed, but once he got there, and was turning round, he saw a ball of fire hurtle towards him. With inhuman speed, and instinct he never had, he deflected the ball of fire with his blade.
    "See my boy, I told you your ancestors skill and knowledge is now infused within you"
    "Yes but father..." he began but was soon cut off has a simultanous line of fireballs hurtled towards him, and again he deflected them, his blade moving with what seemed his own movements but did not feel so, as the balls bounced of th blade. Looking at the blade he rang a finger along it, and looked to his father.
    "Fa...Father I cannot believe this"
    "Don't worry child, I'll tell yu all you nee to know".

7. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Gwandon woke suddenly, he looked at the dingy window, there seemed to be some light coming in through the layers of dust and grime. It was time for him to wake, getting up he strung his chainmaille on over his clothes, then his white surcoat, and finally his long flowing white cloak. From his belongings behind the bed he took his bright shining sword in its scabbard and put it on his belt. He also took his most precious possesion, his fathers pendant and strung it around his neck. When he was ready he descended to the ground level, he could see the half-elf who had entered last night, Gwandon didnt bother talking to him, it was Cymri's decision on who joined the party. Instead he got an apple from Samal and headed out into town.

After a quick search he found the smithy, looking in the mud at his feet, he could see he was standing in a horse shoe print. Following the trail he made it to where he had lost the thief last night. The prints went further north in the village. After fifty yards the trail ended, as Gwandon had entered the richer part of the town, and the streets were cobbled. There were only a few houses, and as they were the upper classes of this town, it would not be hard for the blacksmith to recognise who had brought the horse in.

He slowly ambled back to the Fiery Balrog, all the time musing on what to do. It seemed obvious that the smith would be reluctant, and would therefore require a little 'forceful prompting' and from the appearance, Menecrow looked like the type good for that. So Gwandon entered the tavern and waited for the others to rise from their long slumber.

8. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Darion entered the common room of the in through the front door to find Gwandon already awake and waiting for the rest of the party. Asking a passing serving girl for breakfast Darion took a seat next to Gwandon at his table, shifting his sword that he had moved to his back, and propping his bow against the wall. "I found the lady's horse." He said as he took the chair. "Last night I observed a young man leading a mare from the back of the smithy across the strret. I followed him to a large home across town and waited until I was sure everyone was sleeping. I entered the stable and inspected the horse. It matches the description the lady gave, and the mare wears four new shoes. We should take the lady there when she has eaten to identify her mount."

Taking his bowl of poridge from the serving girl Darion began eating, while watching for Gwandons reaction. "You are Acronian?" It was more a statement than a question. "I fought with some of your people in the Goblin wars. It is a shame that your homeland is in such turmoil now, the men I fought with seemed very honoable."

9. Nienor

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    After eating a quiet dinner in her room, Cymri went to sleep. Due to her exhaustion, she quickly fell into a deep and dreamless sleep. Shortly after the sun began to rise, she woke up. With a start she remembered where she was and what she was doing. She was slightly confused as to why she decided to pursue her horse instead of the emerald. Shouldn't the emerald have been more important to her? But she had felt compelled to follow her horse. Cymri began to wonder if there was more important things to find in this town that what she originally came for.

Standing up, the straightened her skirts. "No need to change" she sighed to herself, "And most likely no time to aquire new clothing." Venturing down the dark hallway, she made her way back to the common room. She saw Gwandon and Darion already awake talking to each other. She sat down next to them bidding them both a good morning. She did not even order before a girl set a bowl of porridge in front of her. Cymri remembered telling them to have breakfast ready in the morning, she was glad to see her orders carried out.

Before she started to eat, she noticed a man at the next table staring at her. Putting down her spoon, she turned towards him and said, "Can I help you sir?"

10. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Stunned, Fallorian followed his father like a sheep back into his study.
    "Fallorian? Come now boy, no need to be so surprised. Come you must pay attention now as I tell you our family's history." he told Fallorian, metioning him to sit on the stool.
    "Err...yes father"
    "Ok good now listen up" his father said as he reached into his chest draw and pulled out what must have been the oldest map he had ever seen.
    "Before the time of the Forgotten age, our family once ruled a great empire. You may have heard in legend of a man called Orion Sarat. He was fabled to have been once of the greatest rulers of all time. But a time came when a great evil was created, created out of humanity's greed and hate, his name was Cyric. Cyric was a merciless ruler, that killed the innocent, and then eventually came to threaten Orion's empire. Orion's army fought hard and vailiantly, and defeated Cyric, vanquishing from this world, but although the battle was Orion lay dead on the field, an arrow through his heart. After that, our family never truly regained control, and the empire broke apart. Yet the sword you hold now is a link to our past, that sword was the sword of Orion, passed down each generation. Yet now i believe that Cyric has emerged again, created but humanity's division, and you my son, are the one that can unite the people of this world, and bring them to stand against Cyric. The reason i say this is due the increasing amount of goblin attacks, and even the goblin wars, 10 years ago. So my boy, the fate of our world rests not only on you but our people, yet you must be the onw to unite even if you cannot lead them, and figt alnside many others to vanquish Cyric yet again".

This stunned Falloria to the core, he had never known about his ancestry, let alone Cyric whoever he
    was.
    "Fa...Father how do you know of this...this Cyric?" he asked puzzled.
    "Only a few know, only those with grea power, I know because my father once served under on old Mage, a strong mage, and he was told of great histories, and as a seer, predicted the coming of Cyric again, as man became more greedy and hateful.
    "But why...why me?"
    "Because you are the ancestor of Orion Sarat, and our family's ancestory now flows in your blood."

11. aule

aule The Smithy of the Valar

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Black Spear joins the growing group at the table aned says, "So, what is the verdict, am I to join the quest or not?"

12. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Giving a passing glance to the newcomer Darion turned to Cymri. "I have found what you seek Lady Cymri. We should discuss in private what actions we should take." Laying special emphasis on the private part Darion shot the newcomer a hard look, still wondering why he intruded on his meal and a private discussion with his companions. He realized that he had been fingering the hilt of his dagger with his left hand. He seemed to have formed a habbit over the past few weeks of holding his sword of dagger in anxiety, or perhaps to remind himself that they were there.

13. Nienor

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Arching a blonde eyebrow at the new stranger, "I do hope you can speak more politely than that. While I would not mind another on the journey, I wonder why you wish to join us." she told the man. Turning towards Darion she whispered, "Come outside the tavern where we can talk with relative privacy."

Before the stranger had opportunity to rely to Cymri she was beginning to walk towards the door shouting to Gwandon, "Keep this man company while Darion and I talk. Hopefully Menecrow and Alvaren will be up and about shortly."

By the time she reached the door, Darion already was waiting impatiently for her outside. She watched as he fingered the hilt of his sword, slightly afraid he meant it for her. In hushed tones he related the information the barmaid had given him. Cymri began to smile, she was thrilled the horse thief was found so quickly. She started walking towards the stable with Darion next to her, "It will be nice to give this thief what he deserves." she said menacingly.

14. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Striding along with Cymri Darion expanded on his findings thoughout the night. "It may not be as simple as we'd hope. Thought the young man who led your horse from the smithy appears young and inexperienced, I would say that the home he went to is that of a lord. If this is the case we may find it more difficult to render justice, lords have a tendancy to keep armed retainers armound." Darion watched Cymri closely at the mention of retainers, the thought had occured to him before, why would a lady such as this be travelling with no servants. He let the thought pass and went on with his thoughts while unstringing his bow and putting it with his other belongings in the stable.

"There are three approaches we might take as I see it." He went on. "We could approach whoever this lord is and explain our case, Gwandon seems to have some knowledge of these people, he might be able to aid us in that end. I would suggest leaving Menecrow and the Elf out of those negotiations, thier presence may be more menecing than this lord is used to. We could simply watch the house and hope to observe this young mans relationship with the lord, perhaps this would give us some insight on what actions to take." Taking a deep breath he watched Cymri for a reaction, she gave none, only waited for him to go on as if this had already occured to her. "The third option, as I see it, is to take the thief by force. Depending on how many are loyal to this lord it could get messy, but the house is relatively unguarded so entry should be easy enough, especially if we go in at night."

Moving his sword back to his hip and replacing his cloak Darion turned back to Cymri waiting a response. "Of course my Lady may have found other alternatives?"

15. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Fallorian looked at the ceiling absent-mindedly, as he let the informaion his father told him sink in, since he already managed to come over the shock of being told what he was told. Swinging out of bed, he decided that he needed to get some fresh air. Going downstairs he headed towards the door, but turned round and headed the other way to the stables; he thought he would test out how well Lightfoot's new shoes fit him, though he did not doubt there was anything wrong. Untying the mare, he mounted Lightfoot, and set off at a slow pace, heading into the village.

Nearing the only Tavern in the village, he thoguh he would go see who the newcomers were, but that thought soon ran out of his head, as he saw the fair lady off last night head his way with one of her 'companions'. Coming closer to the lady, he slowed down and dismounted, readying to introduce himself, but the lady spoke first.
    "My dear sir, what a fine looking horse you have there, may I enquire where you got it?" the lady inquired looking at the horse.
    "Oh that is my mare Lightfoot, a most extraordinary horse, that i bought in a small city south of here." he replied looking to the mare. Eyeing her companion he noticed that man fingered the hilt of his sword. Looking back to the lady he introduced himself formerly, "My name is Fallorian Sarat, i am the son of Rintar Sarat whom you might call the head of the village. And whom might be aquainted to fair lady?"
    "I am Cymri" she replied not quite giving her whole name, "and this is my companion Darion"
    "Ah, amy i ask what bring you here?"
    "We are searching for a horse thief" she replied. Surely these could not be the same people he had stolen the mare from, odd that they would first ask about his new horse, maybe they were. thinking quickly he tried to make an excuse to depart and head ino the inn, where he could inquire further about them.
    "I see, well I hope you find the wretch"
    "Oh I think we are quite close to finding him" she replied, her mouth thinning by the samllest fraction.
    "Well all the luck to you, but i must be on my way, i have some business to attend to" he said giving a small bow, as he led the horse to the Tavern, and saw out the corner of his eye the two of them looking at him.

16. Nienor

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Carefully considering Darion's proposals Cymri was lost in thought for a moment. Once again, she wondered why she felt so concerned about catching the horse thief. The horse was easily replaceable and not particularly dear to her. The thought kept coming to her that somehow this man was more than a horsethief, and that was why she felt compelled to follow him. But irregardless of her motives, she had decided in front of Darion and Menecrow to follow this man. Changing her mind now could lead them to question every decision of hers. A hazard Cymri would ill afford. Careful to reply in even tones she said, "A combination of the second and third proposals is best. Observe this man for a day or two, then be ready to take him. If we know his habits, it will be much easier to catch him unaware than to forceably enter a lord's manor. But I am willing to take that course if it is the only one available to us."

Glancing around the town, Cymri noticed several townspeople who were already up and about staring at her and Darion. Glancing at her disheveled appearance she thought to herself, "I certainly hope they don't think I'm a lightskirt finding a customer." She made an attempt to smooth her hair and skirts, all the while pondering where to find a new dress.

Doing her best to concentrate on the task at hand she ventured a reply, "I think Menecrow and Alvaren would do the best at spying work. They both seem experienced at hiding in shadows and would not hesitate to do anything necessary should the need arise. But I would not like this man killed needlessly. For some reason I think he might have more importance than a mere horse thief. I cannot fathom why a man living in a Lord's household stole my horse. There must be an ulterior motive."

Cymri turned about to re-enter the tavern. After all she still wanted her breakfast. "Let us go and inform the others of what is to be done, Darion. Thank you so much for your help today." she added. Pressing two coins into Darion's hands, "I always reward those who help me." she purred while standing closely to Darion as she dared.

17. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    At that moment Alvarel entered the tavern, as he did the whoile place seemed to be quiet, he kept his eyes hidden, so no one at all regocnised him, but still that ominous presense seemed to enter the room with him, alsmost as if a dead spirit had entered.

he slowly walked over to the table and sat down at the far end, he remained hooded and looked up slightly at the group he didn't say anything he just listened to what they were saying.

18. Nienor

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Before Cymri had a chance to walk back into the inn, a young man passed her leading her horse. Swallowing back her outrage, she did not command Darion to run him through. No doubt, Darion would have obliged for the sport of it. Instead, she pasted a false calm look on her face and introduced herself and Darion to the man. She noticed Darion's hand creep to the hilt of his sword, but other than that, the man made no move to harm the thief.

"Farewell. Good luck on your errands." Cymri called out as the man left. As soon as he was out of sight, she whirled to face Darion, "I want that man watched day and night," she hissed through clenched teeth. "The audacity of him to speak to us." She picked up her skirts and stalked back into the tavern.

19. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Leading Lightfoot, to the back of the Tavern, Fallorian entered the stables. Looking around he saw a few horses contently chewing on food in thier food muzzles in their paddocks. Leading Lightfoot to a free paddock, he tied a food muzle to the mare, and closed the paddock. Once he was sure the mare was content, he went back round the front, and entered the Tavern. At first glance everything was as he expected, with familiar faces giving him a warm smile, as he took a seat at one of the tables. Looking to the stairs he saw the Lady Cymri go up them, presumably to a room she was staying in. AS his gaze swept from the stairs he noticed a hooded man sitting in the corner of the room, most odd he thought to himself, but at the moment he had owrrie of his own, like who where the new people staying in the Tavern.

Getting up from his chair Fallorian made his way to the counter where Samal was, with intent to qeustion the man.
    "So yer back? Long time Fallorian" Samal said as he walked up to the man.
    "Yes, just came in last night, it good to be home. Say would you happen to know who the Lady is, Lady Cymri yes? and her....companions?"
    "Oh not much, cept they they be lookin fer a horsethief, and by the description the give, I would have almost thought it was you" Samal replied.
    "I see, well you tell me what they up to, i have a feeling they are after more than jsut a horsethief"
    "ye think so? Well il do as yer says, don't worry me boy"
    "Thank you Samal, oh and by the way send thanks to yer son Jaichal for the new shoes for my horse".

20. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Menecrow entered the tavern through the backdoors, wandering aimlessly towards the group. The smell of alcohal was vivid on his breath, yet his speech and walk remained steady. Menecrow had woken up early that morning to have a couple drinks, before finding his way back to the servants quarters for more rest before the others woke. Looking towards those still downstairs, he looked around and noticed that Cymri was not yet awake, or else had already departed out of the tavern. Seeing Gwandon, Alvarel and Darion, he grunted towards them but did not come over. Instead Menecrow wandered over towards the counter, laying his loaded and dangerous crossbow upon the table. Giving the innkeeper a common stare of disgust, Menecrow causally grabbed the mans washcloth and rudely blew his nose, then handed the cloth back. The vivid accent came alive as Menecrow eyed the towns man next to him, opposite of the innkeeper.

"Innkeeper, give me your finest food for myself, one deserving of such. Now." Still keeping his gaze on the man next to him, Menecrow gave a short bark of a laugh. "Fool slave, better off dead. You would agree, no?" The man's facial expression showed as much disgust as the innkeepers had, and still did. Going on, Menecrow absently tugged at his eyepatch, hinting at revealing the empty socket that many could not stomach.

"I heard you mention m'Lady Cymri's name to this slave innkeeper here as I journeyed in. I care to inquire."