RPG #1 - Under the Dark of Night

Discussion in 'RPG #1 - Under the Dark of Night' started by Nienor, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    The sun was rising on the horizon, as Fallorian kept riding at a quicker pace than he intended to push the mare, but he was nearly there, at the foothills of the Cold Mountains, and soon he would be back in his village. As a boy he often went down the mountain side as new a path that would lead him quickly to his village, that even if anyone were following him he would be amongst many and would not easily be found.

Soon he found himself at the foothills, and was looking up the mountainside, as he began his asced up the mountain side. Luckily the path was not too challenging to Lightfoot, that he would soon be in his village in about hour, but there was still the pressing question on his mind; The Emerald.

2. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Gwandon slowly trotted along the forest path upon his mighty steed, his white cloak glowing in the rising sun. He had been taking a leisurly pace on his task and was enjoying the surroundings, ever since his stay last night in the small village in the mountains, where he had eaten good food and slept in a good bed for once. But he was happy to be on the move again.

The Imber mountains loomed beyond the forest and Gwandon though that was his best chance of finding a mage. The white stallion ambled onwards enjoying the pace as much as the man. All of a sudden he heard a horse coming. As quick as lighning a young man went by, the steed seemed to be limping in some way, perhaps the shoe was loose, but even with this it moved at a tremendous speed. Before Gwandon could extend a greeting the man was gone. Rather insulted by the mans manners, Gwandon decided to forget him and continue. After an hour or two he was deep in the forest and he heard voices again.

He had been warned by the villagers that the forest was full of bandits, so he put a hand towards his bright sword, grasped the hilt firmly and went on. He did not have time to don his full battle armour, which was strapped to the back of the saddle, but he did not even know it was bandits, so the chainmaille he always wore would suffice.

Coming closer he saw that the people ahead seemed to be only travellers. A rather noble and pleasant lady accompanied by two sinister looking fellows, far beyond he though he could make out a fourth but he decided to ignore the figure. Encapsulated by the lady, Gwandon introduced himself.

"Greetings travellers! I am Gwandon Demuro, a traveller of many lands. May I ask what a lady such as yourself is doing in such dangerous parts, even though your company seems able enough for danger, it is rumoured the bandits in these woods number in their hundreds. And with the nearest village at least four hours of swift riding away, a small groups such as yourselves are at risk. The fellow who went by earleir was going faster than an eagles flight, I assume he met the ruffians within."

He waited for the group to respond.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2004
  3. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Sensing Cymri's hesitation Darion edged his horse to the front of their party. "My name is Darion, and we are on business of the lady's, delivering justice to a thief, I can say no more of it on the lady's behalf. If you would, tell us of this man you speak of. The man we follow is riding a three shoed horse, we know no more of him."

Darion hoped for some information, from the look of this man he was not the same criminal that seemed so common in these parts. Perhaps some one with noble intentions for a change, he thought to himself. None the less he found himself unconsciously easing his sword in it's scabbard at his side.

4. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    "A thief you say?, no wonder he was in a hurry, and I can say the horse he rode did have some trouble with its shoe, but he rode to fast to make out a desription. I believe he is headed to the village up in the mountains. It is the only landmark I know of in that direction."

Gwandon could see the kind of man who stood before him, he looked rough and savage, but he seemed to be honourable.

"If he did steal something from the lady I will aid you in its recovery. I have no patience for thieves, let alone one with not the manners to greet a fellow traveller."

With that the warrior turned his mighty white stallion back towards the cold mountains and spoke.

"The village is three or fours hours away, if we make haste. Your thief will be there by now, at the speed he was going."

5. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Menecrow silently eyed the man. Muttering under his breath, he spoke only to be heard by Cymri, who was still close by. "Another bloody fool m'lady. All we need; more fools."

Guiding his horse forwards, Menecrow approached Darion and Gwandon. Motioning to Darion, he answered his previous question. "Menecrow is not from these parts, he's a wanderer. I suppose we will have to take the man's word on the village ahead." Turning to the new stranger, Menecrow gave a custumary spit and rough laugh. "I suppose you have no idea about that ugly elf following us either, now would you?"

Waiting for the man's response, Menecrow glared in the direction of the elf who had stopped farther back by a grove of trees, obviously waiting for the party to continue forwards. "Nothing like a suspicious elf to get in the way of things. I only wish he would make himself known. That way I would know if I should slaughter him or not."

6. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    "I suspected there was someone lurking behind your party, but in the deep shades of this wood it is hard to tell. If and elf he trully is, those folk keep their intentions well hidden, i doubt he will venture forth to meet your gaze any time soon."

Gwandon felt unnerved by the sinister mans presence. He was the kind of man you'd find every now and again, in the darkest of places. He was either an assassin, a spy or both. But gwandon was naturally trusting and did not think more of it.

"We must make haste if we are to reach the village before noon, in this forest the light is altered, it could be later than i thought. I spent the night before last in the village, so I can guide you there safely"

He started his horse forward slowly, before setting into a gallop he waited for the others to follow. He still did not know the names of his new associates, nor what the man had stolen from them. But he was forced to help any in need of aid, as was his promise.

7. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Sharing his glance between Menecrow and Cymri Darion spoke softly to them alone. "This one seems trustworthy, but we should deal with our follower before we continue on. If his intentions are ill he could hinder us further down the road." Darion pulled his bow from behind his saddle and began stringing it. "If he has nothing to say we could put an arrow in his leg, he'll not keep up with us limping." Darion gave Menecrow a wry smile at that last. He thought the man might enjoy a little fun with the elf, but likely would not take Darion's suggestion as the joke it was intended to be.

Ahead he could see Gwandon coming to a halt, giving them questioning looks. "The choice is yours Lady Cymri."

8. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    "Don't be silly Darion." Cymri laughed. "If this man had wanted to harm us he would have done so already." She placed her hand onto Darion's hand stinging the bow. Nodding at Gwandon she added, "Please to meet you, Gwandon. I am Lady Cymri."

Throwing a smile over her shoulder at her other companion, "I am sure this man can be useful on our journey. Although not as useful as you Menecrow."

When she glanced back over her shoulder, Cymri caught sight once again of the mysterious elf. A frown creased her face as she pondered various reasons an elf might be following them. None of those reasons seemed pleasant. With a small shrug of indifference she turned back towards Darion. "Let this man help lead us, as he has recently seen the thief," she instructed. "But trust him no further than your instincts."

Darion nodded curtly, but did not put the bow out of sight. She glanced back at Menecrow who looked more grim than before. He stroked his visible axes menacingly while he glared at the new man. Cymri wasn't sure if this behavior made her fear him or respect him.

Not pausing for rest, Cymri kicked her horse into a trot and cried out, "Lead on, Gentlemen."

9. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Stopping momentarily Gwandon could see the party conversing, he saw one of the men with a bow. He though they did not trust him, but he wasnt surprised after only meeting them minutes before. Gwandon was dissapointed, no one these days had the common courtesy he had expected when he was back in Acronia. Still, he hoped they did not find need to use the arrows on him.

"I am at your service Lady Cymri, I will not leave your company untill this thief has met justice"

With that the he burst into speed and galloped towards the village. It was a quaint place and he ha enjoyed his stay, so he was only too pleased to return, but it would be hours before they reached it.

10. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Upon reaching the village, Fallorian headed stright for the smithy, the horse had done well and now it was time to pay back the favour. Lightly sprining of the mare, he guided it to the stable's of the smithy. Poking his head inot the work room, a wave of heat from the hearth hit his face, as he called out.
    "Jaichal" he beckoned to a heavily built man who was working with the hearth. "Jaichal, I'm asking for a return of the favour you owe me"
    "Oh! and what would that be Fallorian?" Jaichal asked questioningly
    "I need you to make me the finest shoes for an extraordinary mare. All its shoes replaced with your finest skill" he told Jaichal as he pointed to Lightfoot in the stables.
    "Hmph, that will take a bit of time, probably the whole day, but don't worry i'll keep to my word. So back already and not even a hullo from you"
    "Oh sorry friend, but i must speak urgently with my father"
    "Hmm, well drop by later i have some news for you"
    "Err, well ok then" Fallorian assured his friend, as he headed to leave the smithy, but whilst in the doorway added, "Oh and Jaichal do not anyone touch him let you yourself, the horse....well i do not wish to loose it." and with that left for his home.

With thoughts running through his head, he was thinking of how he would lay out what had happened and what he would ask to his father. Yet there was still a feeling that was at the back of his; someone might be following him, and when he usually had a hunch, it was right.

11. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    The Elf decided tht it was time for him to let the others know who he is. "I am Alvarel, and I have been watching you for some time now" Alvarel looked and saw that they all looked confused at why "Do not worry" he said, "I mean You! no harm, Lets just say I am an observer" all of them could see that this elf was no normal harmonious elf that they were used to seeing, he looked very similar to them yet his eyes seemed different he looked terrifying yet angelic as if he could be sedductive and yet deadly, even though he seemed to be harmless, he was defenatly giving off a vibe that was making the others feel that they should not try to interfere or cross him anyway.

12. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Menecrow glanced at the elf casually. Having a quick eye for those similar to himself, Menecrow quickly reached the conclusion that Alvarel was a dark elf, and if not, more disturbed than any normal elf would be. Grunting towards Lady Cymri, Menecrow spoke softly. "He satisfy's my taste, m'Lady. Though I will not stand him observing. Either he joins the party or leaves; be with or against us. At any rate, he's a far better choice than the two other fools we have acquired, even if he is far uglier than myself."

Flickering his sole eye back and forth between the elf and Gwandon, he waited for Cymri's approval of the elf before moving onwards. Menecrow found it unfortunate that he wouldn't be able to have some elf meat with his next meal, but knew that Alvarel had the same attributes as himself. Plus, Menecrow loved learning new techniques, and a dark elf would have plenty of interesting methods.

13. Nienor

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Laughing softly at Menecrows remarks, Cymri takes a closer look at the elf. He was a sight better looking than Menecrow or Darion, but she decided to keep those kinds of remarks to herself. She stopped following Darion and Gwandon temporarily to focus her gaze on the elf. Her blue eyes narrowing she ordered Alvarel, "Master Elf, either you agree to stay as part of this journey or you leave. I cannot have someone trailing us skulking in the shadows."

The Elf gave no reply but a curt nod. Cymri and Menecrow took this as an agreement to join the party. Looking at both Menecrow and Alvarel together, she saw a dangerousness that was lacking in both Gwandon and Darion. There seemed to be an utter lack of compassion in both the man and the elf. Cymri shuddered for a moment thinking about it; she wasn't sure how capable she would be if these men decided to turn against her.

Putting the thought to the back of her mind, Cymri kicked her horse into a canter, riding up next to Darion. "How far ahead of us do you believe the thief is?"

14. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Walking through the slushy mud roads of the village, Fallorian inhaled deeply, it was good to be home, despit the smell of dung that hung in the air. Turning down a road, Fallorian soon found himself oustide his house and knocking on the door. To his knocking an old woman came to the door, and peered up at him. After a few moments of study the woman asked, "Master Fallorian is that you?"
    "Yes Nana its me" Fallorain answered. The old woman had taken care of him ever since his mother had died when he was a child, and he was fond of her.
    "Come in, your father is ager tosee you. He is in the study". Fallorian walked through into the house, as he made his wat to his father's study. As he reached the doorway to the study, he saw his father sitting over a pile of papers with a roaring fire in fron of him. Talking off his boots, he walked over to his father without staing the rugged floor with mud.
    "Father, I have the Emerald"
    "Fallorian? You have it? Come let us see it" his father asked eagerly. Although there were no hello's Fallorian did not mind at this time, for there was much on his mind.
    "Father i have found something about the Emerald"
    "What is it?" hi father asked puzzled. In answer Fallorian unsheathed his sword, he showed him where the Emerald lay now, encrusted into his blade.

15. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Alvarel followed the group silently, he looked around him and began to sniff at the air "its is almost sunset" he said in a light voice "If I am correct their is a small town not very far from here, there is a tavern where we could stay, that is if the town is still there, I have not been in these lands for a very long time, a very long time" By Alvarels tone of voice the group could sense that Somthing had happened here, somthing that Alvarel did not want to remember.

16. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Gwandon rode slightly infront of the party, the shoes on his horse sendin the dirt into the air and making a sound any enemies would quake in fear at. He had been worried by the final appearance of the elf. It was not the sinister feeling he emitted, menecrow already was reeking of that. It was something else. If not facially, there was something about Alvarel he recognised, and it worried him because he knew the secret was terrible. But the warrior was used to dangerous people, not less than twelve assassins and bounty hunters had come for him in the last few years, and none escaped him.

The elf mentioned it was late. Gwandon was surprised, he had entered the forest near sunrise and was only a few hours slow ride in untill he met the party. If it were as late as Alvarel said, then the nearest town would be that of their destination. And Gwandon had stayed in the only tavern there, He could not help thinking about what Alvarel had done in past years.

Shrugging away his concerns Gwandon spoke:

"The town is a mile or two ahead, we should be careful not to arouse suspition, the folk seem close and may not aid us in finding a friend of theirs. I think we should try to find your horse, and from there we shall discover your thief. I assume he must have taken it to the smithy, for its shoe."

17. Nienor

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Looking carefully up into the sky, Cymri could see the elf was right. The sky was slightly less bright than it had been earlier when they left Four Corners. Realizing how long she had been up, Cymri started yawning. The night before had entailed a long ride in the dark through the Imber Mountains, catching little sleep on the back of a moving horse. She had no strength left to even contemplate traveling by moonlight.

The threat of approaching dusk made the small party hurry along faster. Inside the town would be a much safer place for a small party to spend the night than these bandit riddled woods. As dusk began to deepen into twilight, 4 horses and one elf traveling on foot entered the quiet village. With no notice, the elf imediately left the group, heading back over to the woods. Cymri shrugged her shoulders at Menecrow's questioning look. She assumed elves preferred sleeping in trees to beds.

Trotting their horses down the muddy street, Cymri caught sight of the blacksmith's shop. As she expected, the shop had already closed down for the day. The blacksmith most likely was already home enjoying his supper. With an irritated tsk, she turned towards Menecrow. "I guess that building is the best tavern in town, most likely the only one." She pointed towards a ramshackle building with peeling paint and a barely legible sign reading The Fiery Balrog.

Menecrow grunted in agreement, then turned his horse towards the tavern. Cymri followed with Gwandon and Darion close behind. Dismounting outside the tavern, Cymri handed the horse's reigns to Darion with a smile. She ignored the annoyed frown he gave her in return. Taking a deep breath, she entered The Fiery Balrog.

18. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    "I beleive that I should keep my presense hidden, if this is the town I think it is then, the towns folk may not be happy to see me" said Alvarel. He puuled up his brown hood and put it over his head and made sure that his eyes could not be seen, already the sun was beggining to set and the stars were beggining to come out, a deadly cold rose out from the mist and surround the area.

19. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    "Do you know what you have done child?" Fallorian's father gasped as he showed the blade to him.
    "It has been 1000 years since our family last held the 3 Jewels of Orichal" his father told him hastily as he held the sword in his hand and examined it.
    "In our family's lore, it is said when the jewels are encrsuted into our family's sword, that the souls of our ancestors enter us, giving us their experience and knowledge even though we may not know it"
    "What? surely this cannot be true"
    "Don't be foolish boy. This Emerald had beloned to us 1000 years ago, but was stolen when our village was attacked, and was never seen until i tracked it down and sent you to find it."
    "But father....what do i do now with my blade?"
    "Do not worry boy, you will learn in time."

A confused Fallorian sat down on one of he stools, as he let the information sink into his head.
    "But father, how do you know that the jewels can do as you say"
    "Well i don't, but in the morning we shall know"
    "In the morning?"
    "Do not worry Fallorian, come get some rest you must be tired"
    "Yes fatehr, but first i need to get back a horse of mine". Fallorian made his way out of he house into the early morning day as thoughts ran through his, he made his way to the smithy.

20. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Following the party into the Fiery Balrog, Gwandon looked into the dingy room, he had been here not more than two days before. He decided to talk to the barkeep and aquire some rooms for the travellers.

There was a shout from the bar "Gwandon? Is that you again?" Samal the barkeep was calling.
    "Yes my friend i have returned, I will be needing some rooms for some fellow travellers, there are four of us, for now" Answered the warrior
    The barkeep gave the man a quizical look "Did'ya find the man you were looking for, or have bandits stolen that lovely horse"
    "No samal, I am aiding some travellers, they were lost and in need of assistance, now we need those rooms"

Gwandon stepped back towards Cymri. Quietly he spoke. "I have not the gold to pay for us all, if you wish for a roof above your head tonight you should pay" He paused "I think it would be best to speak to the smithy before morning, if the thief has taken the horse there, then the owner will know where he is to be found, or at least your man will return for the horse, and we shall be waiting"

Gwandon waited for the lady to respond, clutching his small and almost empty pouch of gold, ready to pay his share.