RPG #1 - Under the Dark of Night

Discussion in 'RPG #1 - Under the Dark of Night' started by Nienor, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Alvarel sat huddled in his throne, a shadow of his former self, the demonic images in his mind had taken hold of him, he was without reason and without cause, he cried out in angush and threw a candle stick through one of the stained glass windows, it smashed the glass and plummetted to the ground below.

"GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!" He shouted, one of his advisers tried to calm him "Sire you must calm down!" Alvarelpushed him to the ground "DON'T TELL ME WHAT I HAVE TO DO!!!!!!"

The man scattered to his feet and ran out of the chmaber leaving Alvarel in torment, he turned to the other men "We've lost him, he's not even recognisable anymore, we must send the armies and control them ourselves, Alvarel is not capab...." he was cut off as a long sharp knife was thrust into his back, Alvarel stood behind him Smirking, his eyes followed the advisor as he fell to the floor, he licked the knife clean and then dropped it, it twanged on the floor and then he looked back at the men, "he was weak!, you won't be!"

2. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Prepared to leave Cymri walked down the hallway to Lord Aquilius's private study. Her belongings she was bringing were packed into her saddlebags she had sent downstairs before dawn. Practicality had won out that morning and she was dressed in a tunic and leggings rather than her usual gown. Cymri brushed an imaginary speck from her blue velvet tunic. She was unused to such revealing attire. The missing bulk of her skirts, made Cymri feel uncomfortably nude. The matter was not helped much by the fact Menecrow was tailing closely behind her. That man could make her feel uncomfortable in the best of times. In her saddlebags, Cymri had packed another outfit just like the one she was wearing in addition to a couple of gowns. She had no idea of the current conditions in Darion's camp and wished to be prepared for any circumstances.

Reaching the carved door to Lord Aquilius's study, Cymri knocked cautiously on the door. Too loud a knock could set off one of Aquilius's arcane experiments. In reponse to her knock, the door opened slowly. She was fairly sure Aquilius used a magical enchantment to open his door. That way he wouldn't be disturbed by mundane tasks or need to have a servant present to accomplish that for him. Entering the room, Cymri saw he was seated at his desk leafing through a stack of papers. Striding over to his desk, she began to make a curtsy, not remembering her current attire. Frowning slightly, she instead made a miniscule bow.

Lord Aquilius looked up from his papers and smiled at her. "It is a pleasure to see you here so early, Cymri. I must assume you and your companion wish to be on your way quickly." Standing up, he walked over to a small table in the corner of this study. He motioned for Cymri to come closer. Eager to see what he had for her, she walked over to the table and peered at the objects there. The first object he showed her was a small greyish cube. "This, m'dear is to help you find the Dar'Shien quickly. Merely hold the cube tightly and think about the person or place you wish to go. It is very powerful, and can transport you and anyone in about a 20 foot circle. So be extremely careful who is around you at the time. This should be more than sufficient to transport you and the men I will send. It contains protective magic too. You will be transported to the nearest safe place. I thought in light of the fact you are going to a battle zone, it would be most practical not to land you and my men directly in the middle of a siege."

Nodding her head, Cymri replied, "No, of course not." She really hadn't thought about the conditions when she returned. Darion and Gwandon could be at a full scale war with Alvarel already. Lost in her personal musings for a moment, Aquilius loudly cleared his throat to get her attention again.

Thrusting a small sword at her, he continued, "This is merely a shortsword for you. I know you have some practice and it might come in handy better than a dagger if you are caught in battle." Aquilius picked up the cube from the table, put it in a small cloth bag, then handed it to Cymri. Picking two velvet bags, one purple and one blue, he placed them in Cymri's other hand. "These powders might be useful at some point. The blue one is a sleeping powder, just blow it in the direction you want it to go. The other is poison. One never knows when poison will be needed, eh?"

Cymri grinned at his last statement. She had of course brought some of her own special blends of potions and poisons, but Aquilius's were generally stronger and faster acting. "Thank you m'lord. I'm sure I can find a use for these." she answered with a smile. Opening up her belt pouch, Cymri deposited the small bags in there and began securing the sword in it's sheath to her belt also.

With some dramatic flair, Aquilius announced, "The final item. I am entrusting you with possession of the Star Emerald, Cymri. This was the most powerful stone in that boy's sword. I can completely understand why he wished for it back. It multiplies the power of a spell cast by tenfold. This will make all spells you cast Cymri much, much more powerful. I'm sure you can remember several useful ones, no matter what the situation. Take care of it, I do not wish for the stone to fall in any other hands."

Awed at being trusted with the emerald, Cymri could not think of a thing to say. She swiftly secured the item in her now crowded belt pouch. Aquilius continued, "I am sending with you Captain Brendail and his troop of 30 men. That should be sufficient support for the Dar'Shien. They are assembled in the courtyard waiting for you Cymri.

"Well then, my lord, I must go." Cymri said quietly. She truly did not wish to leave the comfort of her current home to enter a pointless war. But there was no choice when she was commanded to go. Nodding at her statement, Aquilius said nothing else and turned his attention back to the papers on his desk. Cymri knew he would make no personal gesture with another in the room. With her new possessions in tow, she began walking towards the door. Menecrow followed her out of the door. Just out of Lord Aquilius's earshot she murmured, "I'll assume you're ready now for more adventure than this dusty old keep can provide, Menecrow. Come, I'm sure there will be spoils of war for you to find on the dead Darion's troops leave."

3. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    The ranks of men raised pikes towards the oncoming charge, row upon row of long shafts of wood tipped with steel in some places, in others it was merely sharpened wood, but a forest it made, ready to snare any cavalry.

The host of men on horseback ploughed on towards that forest undetered. At the head lay the Dar'shien and Gwandon.
    "Ready! On my mark!" He shouted, the gap growing smaller every second, a hundred metres was all that was left. Fifty.

"NOW" The cry went up, the ranks of cavalry broke and swerved away from the pikes, going left and right. the ranks of pikes held undisturbed, and as the last of the Dar'shien turned the real charge came into sight, the Tunvali light cavalry, following tight behind, horsbows drawn. It was too late, bowstrings twanged at almost point blank range into the frey of pikemen and the cavalry circled to fire again.

With little time to run, the pikemen were massacred were they stood, the charge had come too soon for them to raise gather shields and every arrow had struck home, all that remained were the few hundred foot soldiers and monsters of alvarels creation ahead.

Rearing where he rode, to the left of the field, Gwandon ordered one of the men to signal the next phase of the attack. the horn blew and the Tunvali light horse put down their bows and unsheithed their longswords, and the cavalry who had already split to give them way stood in two groups to either side. All begining to march they launched a three pronged attack into the frey of men on the field. Steel tipped lances exploding through chests, swords cleaving heads from men who could not swing their high enough to do the same. Slowly the men in the field were being wiped out, the monsters going down with more fight but jsut as inevitably.

The battle on the field would be over soon, won for those who cared, but there was much more to be done, the keep liekly housed reinforcements, more vile creatures to be sent down, and then there was alvarel himself.

4. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Fallorian had stayed in his little village for quite a while now. Although his old house was haf in ruins, he managed to find a room to sleep in. In the time he had stayed there, he began to grow restless. There was a calling within him. He thought he might be going a bit mad, but it was there, clear as ever now. That seemingly insignificant gem that was the Star Emerald, called out to him. He could feel it within him.

He had tried many things to rid him of the call, but to no avail. Yet whilst rummaging through his father's work, he found something of great importance. There were advanced notes on three gems. They were complete with drawings, and notes on how the gems acted. He knew immeditely that they could be no other. He had studied the notes intensly. The two gems he had with him; the Star Ruby and Star Sapphire, had great power. He had not realised their potency, until he stumbled across these notes. For many a day, he harnessed their power, each doing different things.

For example, the Star Ruby increased one's strength, agility, and senses when harnessed. Merely by uysing magic through the Ruby, and leaving the spell, one's self would be strenghtened. Although the strengh was not as powerful as he expected, like the ability to lift a tree off the ground, the strength it required, meant that he could lift things far heavier, run much faster, and could hear things he was never aware of. Yet this was added to by the Star Sapphire. The power of this gem, lay in itself aswell. The Star Sapphire, had one simple use. It drew on another's life force. If a living thing, may it be even animal was killed by the sword, it's cpabilites grew, which in turn powered the Star Ruby. Yet considering he had only killed a bear so far, and nothing else much with the blade, it was not so significant. Yet a last thing that was needed was the Star Emerald. All the notes said, was that it increased a spells potency considerably. Yet if linked with the other three gems, would wholly make the sword far more powerful.

With this in mind, Fallorian grew confidant. Yet he tried to quell this confidence. The last time he had run off to get the Emerald back, and he had lost it again. He needed to think carefully. He would follow the call. He would get it back. But patience was needed. The Emerald seemed to be on the move, he would follow. He would do his father's bidding.

5. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Darion stalked the halls of the hastily constructed fortress. His blood stained broadsword held point down in his right hand, and his dagger in his left. His fine edges, two-handed long sword was too cumbersome to wield effectively in close quarters.

The Dar Shien paused for a moment at a window in the corridor. From here he could see much of the battle raging outside. Lors and the rest of the woodsmen were making their way steadily along the narrow walk at the top of the curtain wall surrounding the fortress. In their plain garb they encountered little resistance from the soldiers lining the walls, who for the most part were dressed in similar ragged garments. The charge of the Tunvali horse was barreling across the open plain toward the significantly large force of Alvarel. However, while the enemy had the benefit of large numbers, they faced a foe who was well disciplined, had fought together for years, and made a practice of cutting their adversaries to ribbons.

Darion turned his gaze from the window and continued down the corridor. After a few minutes and one skirmish he found himself in a large chamber with a massive high backed chair standing on a small dais at one end. He could only assume that this was intended to be the elf’s throne room. A set of large wooden doors set in the sidewall of the chamber boomed closed and an armored figure approached. The man stood easily a half a foot taller than Darion; he bore a heavy sword, a large iron shield and a full suit of plate armor.

“Ahh, a Dar Shien.” The man intoned. “That would explain why my supplies and reinforcements have been slow in arriving.”

“And you are?” Darion inquired.

“I am the leader of this force, the force of righteousness.” The man replied. “I have been granted the position of General by my master Cyric.”

Darion nodded in understanding. The elf was mad, obviously, but he would need to set up a chain of command to maintain any semblance of order among his ranks. Whatever enchantments and deceit he’d used to recruit so large a force must have ensnared men like this as well. For the man that faced him now was obviously no stranger to battle, that his stance and deceivingly fluid movements told much.

“Tell me, General.” Darion continued. “Is your new found position worth your life?”

The armor-clad man chuckled and drew his sword from the scabbard at his waist. “You are overconfident, scum.” He replied confidently.

Darion discarded his broadsword and sheathed his dagger. Then he drew out the single edged long sword at his waist and the two met in the center of the room to the sounds of steel ringing on steel. Darion realized quickly that this man was beyond the others he had met up to this point. He was impressively strong and had the technique of a long practiced warrior. Their weapons clashed together over and over again, Darions sword ringing off of the other’s shield and the parrying the crushing blows his opponent rained down on him from above.

After a few long moments of dancing around the center of the chamber, the larger man lunged savagely, swinging his shield in a broad arc in an attempt to stun his opponents. Darion quickly sidestepped the blow and brought the keen edge of his long sword down on the man’s exposed shield arm, severing it at the elbow. The armor-clad man dropped his sword and groped helplessly at his bleeding stump, glaring balefully at the Dar Shien warrior. With a swift motion Darion drove his sword into the other man’s chest, piercing armor, flesh and bone to find his opponents heart.

Darion slowly pulled his sword from the impaled man’s body, their eyes still locked, and the man slumped to the floor in a pool of his own blood. Turning his back on the dead man, Darion marched across the chamber to the door through which his fallen foe had entered and swung the door open. There, standing on a high balcony overlooking the battlefield below was the maddened Alvarel.