RPG #1 - Under the Dark of Night

Discussion in 'RPG #1 - Under the Dark of Night' started by Nienor, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Whilst Fallorian, had entered the town, it was not long before he soon found th town in major panic. Seated with some of the men on a roof, he watched as savage creatures entered thw town, and ravaged it. Not having his sword, he merely fired arrows from his brow at the creatures, taking two down, before a thunderous voice, easily recognisable as Alvarel's spoke grave words, and the creatures retreated.

Not soon after the attack, Fallorian felt inside him, the presence of thw sword rapidly declining. Realising that his sword seemed to no longer be near him, he became alert, and quickly ran off to find Gwandon or Darion, to ask about his sword, thought knowing Darion would not care much, he still needed to know.

2. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Alvarels intentions of the attack had paid off and soon the citizens of the town grew angry at the fact that their loved ones had been killed purely because the army had been there, and soon they demanded that they leave. Many towns people joined together and attacked the tavern that the army were staying at, calling out abuses saying it was the armies fault that the town was attacked, it was clear that the army was no longer welcome in the town.

3. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Menecrow gave a wild, toothy grin. "Decent meals and good wine are all that Menecrow needs, M'Lady. I am sure there are many poor nobles in the Imber Mountains who have need of my remarkable strength and quick wits. It has been many a year since I have last been there. And unless the ugly elf's hell is larger than I think, it should be a nice hideout while the rest of the Elysium gets shaken around."

4. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    While Darion and Gwandon stood in the stable yard pondering their next move, Fallorian came out from the stable and approached them. Darion read the anxiety on his face, and assumed the the boy was once again going to inquire about his sword.

"It's gone." Darion said before Fallorian could speak. "It seems that Menecrow and the Lady Cymri departed this morning during the attack and took the sword with them." Fallorians expression grew to one of frustration, Darion simply shrugged his shoulders. "I was hired by the lady to help her locate her emerald, my involvement with the jewel and the sword ends there. I can only assume she returned to her home."

Darion turned back to his conversation with Gwandon, wich was nearing it's end before Fallorian approached. "I'd like to leave soon, perhaps you could choose your men within the hour?"

5. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    "Forgive my delay, I was making sure they were divided equally, our confrontation with the creatures has altered my expectations of them."

In one quick moment he was finished choosing and made each man sure he knew who to go with before turning back to Darion to finalise their plans.

"I have a friend in these parts, before I met you and the lady cymri I was on my way to visit him, he lives not more than five leagues from this town and I think he could help us, he is a great warrior and if I can convince him to come he could be invaluable"

6. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Darion nodded his agreement at Gwandon's choices. It all made sense, at least as much sense at it could considering the scales were tipped against them . . . for now at least. "Very well my friend, I will do my best to torment our common foe until you and I meet again." Darion produced a parchment, sealed with wax, from the pocket of his coat and handed it to Gwandon. "If the time comes, you will know who to give this to, do not open it. This may be your most valueable weapon yet."

Darion gave Gwandon a short bow and headed off to the stables to ready his men.

7. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Soon encountering Darion and Gwandon, Fallorian had need not say anyhting before Darion informed him that the 'Lady' Cymri and Menecrow had run off withhis sword. A bubble of frustration grew inside him, but he burst it, and gave a nod of thanks to Darion, before leaving him to his conversation with Gwandon.

Rifling through some of the party's weapons, he picked out a suitable sword for himself, and a new set of arrows for his bow. Since he gathered that no-one cared about his sword, and he was not going to recieve any help at all, he thought, he might aswell leave now, and try and make up as much distance as possible between him and the Lady Cymri. Packing his menial provisions back on his horse, he picked up some spare food, that was left lying around and left the town at a quick pace to try and make up the distance at first.

8. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Sitting in the saddle surrounded by those who would be coming with him, Darion watched Fallorian ride out of town. Lors, among those men riding with Darion, heeled his mount next to Darion.

"He's in a hurry to get somewhere."

"He goes after that sword of his." Darion replied flatly. "It's a strange thing that we rode out here to defend his village and he rides away." Darion shook his head, a bit disgusted by the whole thing. "I thought for a while that he might be maturing a bit, perhaps I was wrong. No matter, lets get moving."

9. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Smiling back at Menecrow, Cymri answered, "Good food and wine will be easy to find where we are going. As well as opportunity. No shortage of coin for those who aren't too picky about how it's earned."

Cymri thought for a moment and asked Menecrow, "Do you really think Alvarel is Cyric. While he's a dark elf, I doubt he is the destroyer of the world. It's best to leave Darion and Gwandon to their little heroic fantasies. The Imber Mountains will be a nice refuge from the petty war they will wage."

10. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Settling himself into his saddle, Gwandon trotted round to make sure all that were comning with him were ready. Once each was mounted and settled, looking ready for what they must do. He started to ride out of the stables with the men following behind. Stopping momentarly by Darion Gwandon gave a final bow and said "May your sword strike the heart of your enemy, and your horse carry you safely through the fight, untill we next meet" Gwandon reigned his rose and broke off into a ride through the streets out to the west of the town, a few crowds were gathered shouting about what the creatured had done in the night, and some blamed them for it. It was lucky they were leaving now before things could get too violent. Leaving the eaves of the town and breaking into the open fields Gwandon smiled as he felt the cool morning air on his face.

11. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Darion and his party rode south out of the town for most of the day. As they prepared to stop and make camp along the forest road one of the forward scouts came rushing back, a look of panic written on his face. “Patrol!” The man shouted as he neared Darion. “Not more than three miles behind me. Perhaps fifty men”

“Did they see you?” Darion asked.

“No, I was concealed in the trees and spotted them from afar.” Came the response.

They had rehearsed this very moment several times during their ride south. Patrols were a part of any large military force, and Darion knew in advance that they would encounter one sooner or later. The group responded rather well, leading the horse several hundred yards from the road where they would be neither seen nor heard. The men then concealed themselves along either side of the road, many climbing into the trees, also as they had discussed. Stealth and surprise are the best weapons a warrior can have, Darion had preached to them.

Shortly after the group had their ambush ready the sound of horses could be heard coming down the road. Darion wanted to make sure he knew who they were attacking before they went and slaughtered some innocent band of retainers. With that in mind he concealed his bow and quiver behind a tree and stepped leisurely out into the road and assumed a relaxed posture, leaning against a tree. A short time later the patrol came into view. The estimate of fifty men was close to correct, Darion observed, and there were no more of the foul creatures they had battle the previous night among them. Perhaps ten were on horseback, the rest on foot and carrying long pikes. Most of the men wore mismatched armor, and seemed like a rag tag bunch. Darion assumed they were some type of militia recruited into Alvarel’s band.

“Greetings.” Darion said to one he assumed was the leader, riding at the head of the small column. “It is a strange thing to see so many armed men about.”

“Who are you!” The man growled back.

“Just a traveler, nothing more.” Darion responded. “Might I ask why there are so many of you? It would be unfortunate if I were to run into some type of bandit on my travels through this land.”

The man eyed Darion critically before responding, obviously trying to take some measure of him. “We lead our army north.” He said with another growl.

“Army?” Darion responded, feigning surprise. “Why an army?”

“We seek to destroy those who would loot our lands. A witch and a foul knight lead them. Cymri and Gwandon by name.”

Darion had all the answer he needed, he burst into motion, flipping his dagger out with his left hand to take the man next to the leader from his horse before he got a shot off from his crossbow. Drawing his sword he charged ahead, dodging the wild swings of the other mounted men, and taking care to keep those with crossbows on the other side of their leader. By the time he heard the commotion caused by the men in the trees shooting their bows, Darion had cut three men out of their saddles, their leader among them.

Taking a quick look around he saw that all of the mounted men were down, and the pike men were in a state of mass chaos, trying to decide where to attack. Darion took the opportunity to start a second attack of his own, weaving his way into the ranks of the pike men, his sword slashing and blocking the dangerous thrusts. Darion deflected one of the brutal stabs and stepped inside of the pikes range, cutting a deep gouge in the surprised man’s throat. In the same motion he turned and pulled his blade free to disembowel a second man as he gave a wild stab.

In a matter of moments the fight was over, every man in the patrol lie dead on the road and to Darions relief, none of his men were injured. They had been able to finish their work from the trees with their bows.

12. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Alvarel was furious at the news that a band of his men had been slain so easily, not angry at darion but at his own men! "How could they have been so foolish!!" with a face full of scorn he went to his generla and picked him up by the throat and lifted him in the air "What do i pay you for?! huh?" the man was trying to answer "To play around with these men? NO!!!! the only reason I keep you alive is to train this men to be the strongest fighting force in Elysium!!!!! and you can't even do that!!!!!! well you've proven your worth and it is nothing!!!" Alvarel dropped the man and he fell to the floor, Alvarel turned around and walked back to his golden chair, stolen from on of the grand houses, "kill him!2 he said calmly, at that the general was dragged away and fed to the Vagron beasts.

13. Nienor

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    After several days of hard traveling with Menecrow, Cymri was glad to see the Imber mountains. She was tired, dirty and sick of riding her horse. Rubbing her sore back, she straightened up slightly in her saddle, realizing it was only a couple of hours til she reached her home. With renewed energy, she kicked Hitha into a trot. With excitement she shouted, "Almost home, Menecrow. Tonight we will sleep in a real bed."

The couple of hours to ride up the mountainside to Lord Aquilius's keep felt like moment for her. She was nearly done with her mission. Back to life as usual; warm bed, cooked meals, baths and a position of importance. When the keep was in sight, Cymri cantered her horse towards the stables, dismounting quickly she handed the reigns over to a passing groom. She swiftly rummaged through her saddlebags for the neatly wrapped sword. Taking only that out of the bags, she imperiously gave orders to the groom, "Have my horse rubbed down and fed immediately. She has been riding hard for several days. Give her the best of care or else." Pointing towards another man and snapping her fingers she orders, "You, take my saddlebags to my room. There better not be an item missing or I'll make you curse the day your parents met." Sweeping her skirts aside, Cymri walked towards the keep.

Noticing Menecrow waiting behind her she further ordered the startled men, "Take care of anything and I do mean anything this man desires." Changing expressions quickly she smiled at Menecrow and said, "Pardon me for a moment. I need to deliver this urgently to Lord Aquilius. These men will make sure you and your horse are comfortably settled until I can introduce you later today." Staring off into the distance she noticed it was almost sunset. "We arrived just in time, Menecrow. I'd rather not spend another night sleeping in the woods."

Ignoring everyone else outside, Cymri burst into the main door of the keep. She swept past the guards with an firm glare. They knew better than to question her. Cymri smiled to herself, it was nice to be back where she was in control of almost everyone. Outside of her master, nobody would dare order her about here. Striding down the corridor, she thought that Lord Aquilius would be in the main hall, since it was about dinner time. When she entered the dining area, she was pleased to see him sitting in his throne like chair, awaiting the arrival of dinner.

Purposefully she strode towards him, paying no attention to those already seated. As she approached him, Cymri unwrapped the sword, knelt down on one knee. Holding the sword carefully in her hands, she proudly said, "I have returned with what you asked for and more, my liege."

14. Radagast

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Menecrow had not been in the Imber Mountains for quite an amount of time, though the culture of the town had not changed in his eyes. Filthy rich nobles, consumed in their affairs of plotting, were walking everywhere, each and every one of them easy prey for Menecrow's services. Coming to the end of the winding road, Cymri then led Menecrow to the stables, where she immediately showed the authority Menecrow had found absent in the last week of travelling. Listening intently, Menecrow gave a flourished bow from his saddle, and then grinned at the thought of having these men serve him.

Once Cymri had left the stables, Menecrow dismounted and grabbed his crossbow equipment off of his horse. "You slaves shall take me to a warm fire and a cold ale. Now." Giving his grey stallion over to the groom, another man led Menecrow through the corridors and into a large area, the domed roof showing the balconies of the many upper level floors. Several of the guards glared at him, and one of them in more decorated clothing sternly asked him to remove his weapons. Menecrow, slowly walking past the man, gave a quick spit in the guard's face. All the guard's quickly scurried to grab Menecrow and restrain him, but the servant who had been guiding Menecrow quickly whispered something into the chief guard's ear and they hesitantly let him go. The servant gave a muttered apology, and continued on walking.

After several minutes of winding stairs and deep corridors lacking activity, the servant finally arrived in front of a large oak door. "This would be your room, Master Menecrow. I will send your ale and supper up shortly." Giving a flourished bow and then turning to leave, Menecrow ventured into his room. Large candles placed in the corners of the room illuminated the expensive furniture placed in precise locations around the large fire place. Further back, Menecrow found a door that led to a large bed beside a balcony window. Giving a laugh to himself at all the foolish notions of luxury, he left his crossbow equipment beside his bed and returned to the sitting room. Adjusting his axe belt so that he could sit comfortably, he enjoyed the fires warmth while he waited for his supper.

15. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Darion crouched next to a small stream, using one of the finely made throwing knives he'd aquired to shave the four day stubble from his face. The past days had brought many oportunities for Darion and his small company of men. They had ambushed nearly a dozen patrols, as well as picking off countless scouts moving through the region. Their success was marred by two deaths and a couple of serious injuries, the twenty five men he'd started out with was down to twenty. Considering the hundreds of enemies that had fallen to the group it wasn't such a daunting thought. Most of the men were even showing some real skill with their swords, though most of the fighting they did was from the trees with their long bows.

Darion looked up to see Lors approaching from the tree line, a grim expression on his face. "They have returned, and they brought the supplies you requested."

"Good." Darion replied. "They are at work as we speak I hope?"

"Yes Master, I have every man not needed elsewhere working in the clearing as you instructed." Lors had taken on the role of Darions 2nd in command. He had apparently served in an army somewhere along the line and Darion found him to be quite useful.

"The army is still moving I take it?" Two days ago, while scouting, Lors had discovered a very large encampment of enemy soldiers. Darion estimated their numbers to be over four thousand, but it was very difficult to tell for sure in the thick of the forest.

"They will reach the clearing by night fall, as you predicted." Lors responded.

Three hours later Darion stood in the forest only a few yards from a very large clearing. Night was nearly full, and the tail end of the column of enemy soldiers was still streaming in. Along with the thousands of men, there were many of the huge beasts that had been ravaging the area over the past week.

As the tail end of the army entered the clearing and began to set up camp Darion motioned to Lors to have the men prepare themselves. Glancing back over his shoulder he smiled slightly at the forty empty barrels neatly concealed in the brush. The folk of the south used an interesting type of lamp oil, it came from some type of large fish in the southern seas. What made it so useful to Darion was that it had almost no smell.

Turning back from the barrels Darion flashed a few silent hand signals to Lors. Another good quality of the man was that he learned rather quickly, the sign language used by the Dar'Shien came as second nature to him, at least the basics of it. A moment later several torches flared in the trees. Darion could hear the shouts of those setting up camp in the clearing, they had spotted the torches as well. It would do them no good now. Twenty men drew back their bows and launched a volley of flaming arrows into the camp. As the first of the arrows neared their targets the men sent a second volley into the air. The sight brought a gasp among the men even as they launched their third set of flaming arrows. The gound had been soaked with large amounts of lamp oil, and burst into violent flames as the arrows touched down. A fourth and final round of arrows went into the air and Darion order his men to retreat back into the safety of the forest.

Darion stood at the edge of the clearing for a few moments, his hand on the hilt of his sword, scanning the shadows for any who might attempt pursuit. He found himself smiling again at the sight of the intense flames and the sounds of the dying. It seemed to him like he had been smiling more than usual over the past few days.

Darion turned and ran back into the forest after his men.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2004
  16. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Dead. Gwandon still couldnt believe it. Nadaen dead after all these years, when two thousand pikemen met their death charging his escort back in Acronia. Alvarel would pay. Gwnadon noticed he had his sword out, the tip was through the ground, hungry for blood.

Gwandon had rode from the village leaving the others to find his Nadaen who had retired here after his days serving the king. When Gwandon found the village where he lived all there was was ashes and a few charred timbers sticking from the ground, the skeletons of the dead building. Burned to the ground with the people inside, all because they resisted the call to arms. A few had escaped, women, children and a few men so berieved they could not walk. Four days af the same, villages who had joined the elfs mad cause or been slaughtered. Gwandon had sought out the survivors, the men would want revenge, and so did Gwandon. A few tried to slay him, blamed him for why the army had come, his name had ben mentioned bny the army of Alvarel. Gwanond tried to deny that was the only reason why the first village burned, that Nadaen had argued his innocence and they were killed because of that. No, it wasnt his fault, it coulnt be, it was the elf, it was all the elf's dark schemes. For every man, woman and child, for his crimes in H'thrana, for Nadaen.

Shiething his sword, Gwandon stepped back from the copse and mounted his horse, riding down the hill back to where the men lay, the original twenty had been tripled since the flood of homeless men arrived, revenge fed this host more than the food they could find.

"They havent come this far yet, The host has stopped, or turned southward, but that is not our concern, ours is to find the elf"

Kerden, a man who had joined yesteday, from the regions civil guard, or what had been the civil guard stood there. He had been scouting out, asking questions, trying to locate their goal and other information. "Its the biggest one of all I've seen moving north, I dont know whats happening down past the Darlan Ridge but theres plenty enough here. We're only a few days north of where it began, with that bang that blasted that whole village, he shouldnt be to far from there, but too many men have gone missing looking that far"

"Then we ride, I dont trust whats going on with the host, we pull east and make for the crater left behind by the blast, Be careful for patrols on your next search" Gwandons said with a nod, Kerden led three men off to the horses and took of into the night, and Gwandon went back to the fireside.

17. Nienor

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Aquilius smiled in pleasure, not only had he been giving back his missing emerald, but the entire sword it came from. Bestowing a pleased look at Cymri he said, "I knew you were right for this errand. Nobody else do I trust more to do this well. We will talk more in private about this, Cym."

Standing up, Cymri answered, "Of course, my lord. I will visit with you later and we can discuss the entire trip I took. There is more I must tell you..." Gesturing towards those seated in the hall, "But now is not the time" she finished in a lowered voice. Curtsying towards Lord Aquilius, Cymri grandly departed the hall, not bothering to listen to the excited chatter of guards and others sitting at the lower tables in the hall.

Departing the main area of the castle, she walked to where the bedchambers were located. Asking one of the servants where Menecrow was, she was told he was being given a room in the North Tower. Cymri nodded at the servant then took off for the North Tower. The rooms there were not quite as luxurious as the area Cymri lived in, but more than adequate. Climbing a flight of stairs she quickly located Menecrow's rooms. Noting they were the best ones in this section of the keep.

Entering his room without knocking, she saw him sprawled in a chair before the fire. A servant was placing a large amount of food on the side table for him. The man had already made himself at home. The serving girl stood next to the table awaiting further instructions. "That is all. Please give m'lord Menecrow and I some privacy to talk. I will be returning to my rooms within an hour or so. See to it that there is a light meal and a hot bath awaiting me."

Paying no further attention to the servant, Cymri looked at the side table near the fireplace containing beverages. Two carafes of wine, one white one red, plus a decanter of spirits were sitting there along with appropriate glasses. Menecrow had already helped himself to those copiously. Taking a glass of her favorite red wine, she sat down in the clean, unoccupied chair across from Menecrow. "Comfortably settled I see and already trying to eat the kitchens out of food."

18. Radagast

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Menecrow got up from his sprawled postion and walked over to the window that allowed a misty view of the Imber Mountains. Opening it, he dropped the empty wine bottle in his hand to test how high up he exactly was. Glancing back at Cymri, he responded with his cutting accent.

"Hah! They call this food, but Menecrow the Magical deserves far better. At least the comfort level of the room is exceptionally high, as only fit for my stature of significance. I trust you have had your discussion with that foolish noble of yours, and returned his prized sword?"

19. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    "The patrols grow larger." Lors said as Darion crouched on the ground examining the tracks of the latest patrol.

"Of course." Darion responded. "After the debacle they had last night what would you expect. We dealt our enemy a stinging blow, but the result is predictable." The tracks they now followed were that of the largest patrol they had encountered. Darion guessed their numbers at over a hundred, all mounted, and he could only assume they were heavily armored.

"The scouts you sent out last night have returned." Lors advised him. "It seems that the army suffered many losses, and even more serious injuries, but they were not certain of the numbers. There is also another force moving to the east, they don't seem to be a part of our enemies forces."

"That would be Gwandon." Darion remarked. "He had a friend he was looking for, likely he has found a few more supporters as well. He was hoping to draw Alvarel out into the open, a dangerous task, I'm sure there is a larger force waiting for us in the south, likely that is where the elf is."

Darion stood and regarded the men with him. "This patrol is heading for the river, let's follow them and see if we can pick off any stragglers." He said with a dark smile. "We will show them that their continued probing will get them nothing but more dead bodies."

The other men nodded in agreement and the group set out after their prey.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2004
  20. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Good, I'm only a few hours behind, Fallorian thought to himself. Riding through the forest that he had ridden through twice already, his eyes crossed over some plants that he had not seen before. Reigning his horse, he jumped off, and ran a few paces back, and hunched down near a small group of yellow plants; Henshi. This plant was known for its sap having strong sleeping properties. Picking some up, he carefully extracted the precious sap, and slipped into a small vial amongst others.

Remounting his horse, he sped off, as he saw in the distance the twinkle of small dots of light...a few more hours yet....