ROTK EE DVD Gift Set

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Aragorn Elessar, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Aragorn Elessar

Aragorn Elessar Envinyatar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Since all the threads primarily concern when the set is going to come out, I hope it's OK to start this thread that deals with the set, not when it's coming or simply what color (as there's already a dedicated thread). Also seeing as we're nearing the release date (Dec 14) of the ROTK EE DVD, I suppose we'll get more info to talk about here from now on.

Which brings me to this report from TheOneRing.Net, as they report that the on what it is that is going to come with the ROTK EE DVD gift set. Here is what it has to say:

"Fresh from the live web cam (Sideshow) at comic con 2004, here are pics of the ROTK box set and the included Sideshow/Weta statue which is Minas Tirith. It opens up and stuff can be stored inside. The companion piece (which you can only buy if you purchase the gift set) is Minas Morgul."

As speculated somewhere among these threads (couldn't find it), the statue that comes with the DVD will be Minas Tirith. I still haven't really figured out what it means by the companion piece, another piece that is ordered with receipt of the EE set, or is it in the same box (doesn't look like it from the pics)? I don't quite understand what it means by "you can only buy if you purchase the gift set," as that's what you'll obviously have to do to get Minas Tirith in the first place. Well I'll get to see it this weekend when I get down there to Comic-Con... but in the mean time I'll settle for the pics available.

2. Aragorn Elessar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I've posted some of the pics from TOR.N over to the Gallery, in case it goes away some time.

3. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    also, check out this pic. It depicts an extremely clear shot of the DVD as well as Minas Tirith and a companiuon DVD. this companion DVD that comes with the Gift set is a DVD depicting the process and production of the score.

here are the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2004
  4. Aragorn Elessar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    This is extremely cool!

And I'm happy about the companion DVD about the Symphony, I've been wanting to know more about that and hear it (it's not coming to my part of town any time soon), this'd be neat...

Has anyone learned anything about the Minas Morgul statue yet?

5. isengard111

isengard111 The Master Chief

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Knew it would be Minis Tirith. Just wish it had been what I wanted: a free Anduril sword. (sigh) Cheap New Line.

6. OBSERVER

OBSERVER New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Minas Morgul is sold seperately. A coupon or certificate comes with the gift set that allows you to purchase it. The same thing was done with Two Towers's Smeagol and Gollum statues.

I am pleased with everything about this box. I will have to buy it this time. The bonus symphony DVD sealed the deal for me, and the statues are great.

Only 5 more months.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2004
  7. Aragorn Elessar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Ah, that's what I was thinking. I didn't buy the TTT gift set (just the EE DVD set) 'coz I didn't like the Gollum statue so I didn't remember what went on with that, now I remember.

And you're right, I'm very interested in the symphony DVD

8. Aragorn Elessar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Just came back from Comic-Con San Diego!

I couldn't make it to the ROTK EE DVD panel! Crap! And I'm reading they showed A LOT of great stuff (4 minutes of EE footage of everything that you'd want to see from the book; and 3 scenes), had David Wenham and Billy Boyd and Rick Porras there, and PJ showed up as a recording... and I missed it! Arrggg!!!

But not all is lost... I got a few snaps of the new DVD set, they had basically all the Sideshow statues there, and life-size models of Lutz, a Nazgul (on horse, no less!), and they also had a life-size Gollum/Seamgol which I think is the master sculpt of the new Gollum statue... they got the costumes there also, I got a few snaps of those, but I'll post the pics later, gotta catch some sleep.

Here're a few pics of the DVD set, Smeagol and The Finger. I'll post the rest later.

9. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Hey! Great pics! I've seen the latter half of them already on another site...but the first half that you personally took...the high-res ones...very very nice. Thanks for that!

As for the footage not seen...would you like to see it?

Return of the King: Extended Edition DVD Teaser

Now, considering the fact that this footage was shot with a hand-cam corder, you'll understand the shaky footage. And I'm certain there was nothing that the cameraman/woman could do about the hormonally imbalanced women screaming for Dom and Billy. But...egh...the footage is great.

If the footage gets taken down for whatever reason, let me know. I've got it and will gladly post it.

10. Aragorn Elessar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Wow nice! Thanks for the link!

11. OBSERVER

OBSERVER New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  12. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    great pics, thanks! :)

I am surprised that Sideshow Weta was able to put so much detail in the Minas Tirith model.

13. Aragorn Elessar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yeah the Minas Tirith statue is really amazing. You can get really close and everything still looks very good (perhaps this being a display piece the paint job was done to the best quality, but I doubt that the real one in boxes come Christmas will be far off at all). You can put your camera really close and it'll come out as if you were taking a picture of the minuature they used in the movie (well not quite, but you get my point)! All the details in the thing are just impecable. Really a great, great piece. I can't wait!

14. Aragorn Elessar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Oh, and it also shows how well Minas Tirith was designed. When you look at it at almost level, the court yard of the Citadle sticking out really makes this statue look bigger. The court yard/mountain sticking out gives you a sense of how huge this must be, making it feel enormous.

15. OBSERVER

OBSERVER New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is there actually a white tree in the courtyard? Certainly looks like it. Or maybe that is the fountain.

16. Aragorn Elessar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I forgot to look for that when I was there, but looking at the pictures now it does seem that the White Tree is there, but I can't really tell which is which, althought the Tree should be in the center of the court yard's grass part

It doesn't seem that the guard statues at the top of the stairs is there though

Attached Files:

17. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    great clip!! did you see merry killing the orc lieutenant!!!!!!! and yes I will be buing the gift set this time didint like two towers that much i thought it should have been helms deep. I bought fellowship though.

18. OBSERVER

OBSERVER New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I believe it is there after all.

This screen cap shows exactly where the White Tree is.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2004
  19. Aragorn Elessar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I thought the Tree's there, and I was looking at the picture again, and I think the guard statues are there as well, although they don't really look like it! (the two blob of things on either side of the stairs entrance to the court yard, both look round, yeah, but what'd you expect when it's that small, at least they're there!)

20. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Wow, I didn't know there was going to be a symphony DVD. That sounds great. I may buy this gift set. Like Aragorn Elessar, I didn't buy the TTT gift set, but this one looks great. Any guesses as to the cost? I don't remember what the FOTR gift set cost, as I got it as a gift.