Rohirrim Armour

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by lordmaille, Dec 6, 2003.

1. lordmaille

lordmaille Master of the Maille

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I hope that the neext helm in the Limited Edition helmet sets being offered is that of of a Rohirrim. You know, those intricate ones with the horse crest on them?

Also, does anybody know where I can buy scale armour?

2. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I'm really hoping for Éomer's helm. I wouldn't get a normal Rohan one, though.

I think scale armor's pretty tough to come by. I don't know where to get any.

3. lordmaille

lordmaille Master of the Maille

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

4. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    His sword, Guthwine, will probably be out next year. The whole Rohan collection of swords seems to be pretty popular now.

5. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    My re-enacting group has just found a supplier of tombstone shaped scales, very much like the Rohan armour. I'll try and see if our supplier can ship overseas.

You'd need about 1000 scales to make torso armour, roughly USD$250 I'd say. THat's not including the leather for the vest, and the rivets to attach the scales to the leather. But that stuff is hell cool.

I'll only ask if someone is definitely willing and able to buy them, otherwise there's no point is me asking! If you can afford ~USD$300+ for the scales and shipping etc, PM me and I'll look into it.

Here's a pic of the scale on the right, and lamellar on the left, both of which my group can purchase. 176KB, be patient - http://gallery.fantasyvault.net/showphoto.php?photo=168&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=510

Last edited: Dec 7, 2003
  6. iggyp

iggyp New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thats pretty expensive.

You could just get some sheet metal cutters and some metal from onlinemetals.com

If you wanted scales 2 inches wide you could just order long 2 inch wide strips and then you'd just need to cut the curves.

Get a whitney punch on ebay for ~$30 and you can punch your rivet holes.

You could do the project in a decorative metal like brass for less than $200, steel is much cheaper.

I actually just found this link and they recommend the same place I do.

http://www.io.com/~beckerdo/other/ScaleArmor/ScaleArmor.html

7. swordsman

swordsman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mubbabun send me the link & or information I am very interested!

8. DurinSnowrath

DurinSnowrath New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mubbabun, I am also very interested in the link. Can you pass it on?

9. aorian_star

aorian_star New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Both the Chain and scale mail look pretty darn good! :D I would love to have either, but I cringe at the though of the cost of the scale. The other armor shown almost looks like a scale/banded mail hybrid, but I guess it would be consider scale mail as well. I think I would like to have a scale mail long coat (Like the armor Conan the Barbarian had on the first time he tried to infiltrate Doom's mountain... the bottom of the mail fell about mid-shin on Aronald), using the "tomb-stone" shaped scales, but with the scales chrome-plated! Talk about putting the eyes of your opponent out, on a bright sunny day!!! :D

It would be great if you could buy the scales, rivets, and leather vest in like a "scale mail kit" and do it yourself! It might make it a little more affordable. :gbounce:

Oh, just a little factoid about LOTR: The armor Gimli used in Two Towers, (and through out the movies, which includes helmet, armor, weapons and boots) weigh in between 65 & 70 lbs., according to the the actor. The Official Lord of the Rings website has a great video clip about the weapons and armor and how it was made. John Howe, himself explains how and why they design the weapons, armor and other items they way they did.

I am sure many of you have already seen this, but just in case some of you haven't... here is the link to the official website for the movies... go to the video library:

http://www.lordoftherings.net/

:dragon:

10. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    The lamellar armour on the left has no backing material as such, although it can be sewn onto leather or cloth. This suit is made by lacing the lames together with 100m+ of rolled leather lacing.

The scale is rivetted onto thick leather so is less flexible, but damn it looks cool!

A full-length Rohan style armour consisting of the scale cuirass for the chest and the scale skirt for the legs would weigh approximately 20kg/44lb. Maybe more, maybe slightly less. A full length suit of chain is about the same, so if you wore it all you sure wouldn't be too quick on your feet!

I wonder if WETA used plastic or urethane scales to keep the weight and the cost down for the non-hero scale armour. It'd make sense, like the plastic chainmail. I know Theoden's breastplate was real metal.

11. swordsman

swordsman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For those wanting to investigate the possibilities of making scale armour these two links may shed some light on it. I found them excellent information.

http://www.io.com/~beckerdo/other/ScaleArmor/ScaleArmor.html

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/perfect_armor.html

12. Pottawa

Pottawa New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry for bumping an old thread.

But for just the upper body 1000 is far too much. I made my scale using somewhere about 200 of the rectangular scales. The D shaped sclaes may take a few more but still far from the 1000 suggested.

Heres a link from which to buy them.

http://www.lrpstore.com/dept.asp?dept_name=Plates/Scale+Kits

D Shaped Scales

[​IMG]

Rectangular Aluminium Plate

[​IMG].

Hope that I have in some way helped.

13. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I'm sorry, but live role playing armour ain't the same as re-enacting armour. Just as re-enacting armour ain't the same as full on authentic armour. The scales on your link are aluminium, the ones we use are mild steel.

How on earth can you say that 1000 is too many, when the guy who wears it has that many in his cuirass? He's a big broad guy, the scales are butted up together seamlessly side by side, and overlap maybe 20% top to bottom. Just like in your linked picture for the D-shaped scales.

I'm purely guessing here, but did you lace those rectangular plates together or rivet them onto an undershirt? Lacing would create a tighter fit for the plates thus giving better protection against slashing and stabbing blows. But your common garden variety LRPlayer has zero idea about how real armour works. Brigandines (rectangular plates spaced prettily on an undershirt) usually leave large gaps between the plates, so it's cheaper, but as body protection, it's pretty useless. Gaps are bad.

14. CB Swords

CB Swords Forum Administrator

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I made such a cuirass.

hmmm.... my scales were 2 inches and 3 inches long... I made 240 of them and had a handful left over when done. The shirt is waist length though, there is no skirt. I'm not exactly a small guy (6'5 220) either.

15. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    The D scales are much smaller and have no gaps in between. Count the red dots, for the chest and back squares, it's roughly 20 x 19 scales. Then add maybe another 60-90 for the shoulders. At a very rough visual estimate, we're up to 835. My original statement of 1000 was a rough guess, but not too far wrong, especially seeing as leftovers can be used for Rohirrim scale skirts or neck protection. And Bill's cuirass is also shorter than the Rohirrim vests (he uses thicker leather than they did)

The Rohirrim scales are much bigger than the ones we use, and while still overlapping enough to provide good protection, are a bit more widely spaced. I counted roughly 9x17 for the front square from this pic roughly 330 for a cuirass of these scales). But if you also want the full length leg skirts, you'll need roughly 1000.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  16. CB Swords

CB Swords Forum Administrator

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    yup, those scales are definitely smaller than what I used. Since I was cutting the scales out by hand, and then punching the holes by hand, I really did not want to make that many so I made them larger.

Search tags for this page

rohan armor for sale

rohan style armor for sale
rohirrim armor and weapons
rohirrim helmet

rohirrim scale armor

weta rohirrim armor