"Rohan" styled costume question

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by The_phatmasster, May 22, 2004.

1. The_phatmasster

The_phatmasster New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have almost completed my Rohan themed costume. I have everything you'd expect pretty much. Chain mail shirt, generic helmit and sword. Im also in the midst of having my leather armor completed. I also have a nice full lenth cloak (even though thats not really fitting the rohan style, it looks nice together. Anyways... Normally Id just wear black jeans and some running shoes. But now that I have completed the majority of my costume it would look rather foolish to wear such things. What would you fine people recomend? Ive toyed with the idea of getting some leather boots, but as Im on a litlte bit of a budget that isnt in the cards right now. Ive also been thinking of making a leather scale mail skirt, that's spit up the middle the way they show in movies and countless pictures of such articles of clothing/armor. Any and all recomendations would be appreated.

2. Christophe of Grey

Christophe of Grey Cordwainer to Royals

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    phatmasster,
    For your shoes you could make coverings like enlarged spats. Things that go over whatever show you wear underneath. They could be made of leather or a sturdy cloth that would have a leather like appearance.

As for the "skirt", how about a Roman style skirt. Go to a thrift store and buy a bunch of leather belts. Cut them into 2 to 3 foot lengths and shape the ends into a bullet/rounded shape. Attach them all to another belt and you would have a somewhat period, functional leather armor skirt at a very low cost. You can use black shoe polish to darken the cut edges.