Robin Hobb

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Judeau, May 6, 2004.

1. imrhien

imrhien The Lady of the Sorrows

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    :eek: Now that's SCARY, btw sorry about my neglect of the capital P earlier.

I still think deep down inside, Fitz put the crown above all else, by his own choice, in the end

2. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Yep...I think the same :).

3. Kestrel

Kestrel Fool's Apprentice

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Meteorain, I just don't understand. I didn't think it was possible for anyone not to like the Fool. Since reading the books I think he's perhaps now become my favourite ever book character. Although I thought it was sad that as the books progressed he seemed to become less and less like the old Fool, but still, was no less lovely.

I'm still not quite sure how I feel about the end. I thought it was a 'good' end for the books, but not sure if I was entirely happy about it. Although at the end of the Farseer books I so wanted to see Fitz reunited with his sweetheart, by the time we get to the Tawny books, Burrich and Molly have been together for so long that it didn't feel so wrong anymore, and by the end of it there was a big part of me that wanted to Fitz and the Fool to remain together. ;) :eek:

Still, there is always that question mark of whether they ever will meet again...

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I thought the Fool's poem to Fitz was incredibly sweet. Made me feel kinda nostalgic after reading it........about 4 times in a row.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  4. Nynaeve

Nynaeve <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    I liked the Fool, I just hated not knowing what/who he really was. :mad:
    I liked Amber, for some reason that persona seemed the most comfortable, the most real, you know? :)

And, I hated how he ended up with Molly. They were both so different by then, it just did not seem plausible then. Iwanted him to stay with the Fool too, though I understood why the Fool needed space. I get sad just thinking atbout that last book, no book has really gripped me like that one, I could not read anything else for days.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  5. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Well, I finally read Forest Mage, and it was... surprising. Again, it's a lot slower-paced than the Farseer/Liveship/Fool trilogies, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Amzil was an interesting character - I liked her more than I liked Molly, for sure, and I could imagine eccentric Epiny as a feminist in this world several hundred years back. Surprising book all the way.

6. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    I DID like the Fool, I jsut hated the way he went about certain things. I mean he kept saying he loved Fitz and what all that crap, but ni the end, he only showed Fitz one small facet of his true self which annoyed me.

I'm contraty to Nyn, I think they should have ended up together. Who the hell wants Fitz to have a crap ending in TWO triology's? Plus he had an obligation as a father since there was no threat to his family anymore. Also, how was Molly and Fitz different. I mean she still loved him after all that time.

7. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I think because they'd been seperated for so long. I mean, Fitz was what, 15-16?, when they were together...to me putting them back together at the end was forced. They'd grown up since then, IMO, and lived totally different lives...I'm with Nynaeve on this, I would have liked him to end up with the Fool instead of Molly.

8. Nynaeve

Nynaeve <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    That was not a happy ending for me, that was a crap ending IMO. Forced to be together for a child? What kind of marriage is that? I'd never want someone to be with me just to fulfill their parental duties to my child. Why should they be together when they can find other partners that really love them, in the present, instead of loving memories of how they used to be, as children?

It seemed forced to me too. Like she did it just for a partial happy ending. I can see them caring about each other since they were childhood sweethearts, but for them to still truly love each other after all those years, instantly like that? Not plausible to me. They are just totally different people after all they have been through.

9. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Well, it did seem as if they wanted to be together ;). Like you, I found it implausible, but I doubt Hobb is suggesting they ended up together solely because of Nettle (or the other kids).

I just finished the Liveship Traders - am I the only one that actually preferred that? I didn't think Fitz's trilogies could be topped, but they were. Originally I didn't think I'd be all that interested by 'talking ships' (as was my first impression when I found out what it was about) but they were fantastic. I even found myself loving Malta, despite wanting to strangle her for the first book and a half or so :D. Kennit didn't interest me all that much, but I'd love to read more about the Rain Wilds and Bingtown. Amber was great too - I thought she was the best of the Fool's incarnations.

10. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Well is not like Molly and Fitz didn't love each other. They were very much in love with each other (Burrich even admitted that Molly still lvoed Fitz a lot), and we know Fitz loves Molly...so I don't really see the problem...

They didn't love eachother instantly....they had kept in their hearts what could have been. What's with you? Don't you want them to be happy?!?!

Different people develop in different ways. You cannot apply how you would feel onto how they might feel. You never know, some people can just love eachother like that.

Tbh, the Fool was an asshole. All this talk of love and bs, and he showed but a minor part of himself to Fitz...I mean what's that all about. Take and not give?

I found the Liveship series was quite annoying :S

The only cool boat was Paragon...because it kills its crew bwhahahaha

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  11. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I don't doubt that they loved each other. I just think it's implausible. Ny said it best when she said that she could see them caring for each other since they were childhood sweethearts, but they'd changed so much it was difficult to believe they could be truly in love like they were as kids.

12. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    How have they changed so much. We don't hear much of Molly to say she's really changed all that much as a person. She has some kids and still lives in some tiny house...

Fitz is still the only cool emo in existence throughout the book, who's picked up some few skills here and there.

13. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    There's a helll of a difference between a carefree 17 year old (or so) Molly, and an adult. As for Fitz, how can you believe he hasn't changed between Royal Assassin and Fool's Fate? Like Molly, he's gone from being a teenager to an adult. I'd like to hope the average person matures somewhat in that space of time. And everything Fitz has been through in those books - torture, 'dying', chasing down Verity, Verity's death, the years spent in his hut going over everything that's happened, Nighteyes' death, becoming Dutiful's father-figure, the Fool's 'death'...I'm not going through everything that's happened in the books, but how could anyone live through all that and not change?

14. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    He's gone through many things, but as a person he hadn't really changed. He still thought in the same morose way, but managed to appreciate and view things in a slightly different light. You read it yourself...he didn't really change as a person as much as he did gain a lot of experiences.

Some people just don't change from teenager to adulthood...they are just like that.

All I'm gonna end with is...I got the ending I wanted, and it made me super happy, so screw you all who didn't like it :p

15. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Lol :D

Experience generally changes people. I'm not saying that he's an entirely difference person, but neither is he the same. If he was, he wouldn't have learned anything.

16. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Well ofc he's not the SAME, but he's not really deviated from his character as he did in the start. He is a fiercely loyal person, and I believe that carries on into his love for Molly.

17. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    He is loyal, but I still can't find it believable. There's a quote by Kettle in Assassin's Quest...

That's kind of how I feel about it and why I don't think they should have ended up together. They may not be entirely different people, but they've definitely changed. Loyalty is one thing, but it can also be stubborn resistance to change.

18. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Pfft....Kettle was n00b...she was obviously senile :p

I think it was perfectly fine...again different people with different views, in the same way it can applied to fictional characters. Just because they have changed does not mean they felt any less about eachother. We're never told they don't love eachother any longer like they did (except for the end...which kinda says they did).

19. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I think we can agree on the 'different people with different views' part alright, just can't agree on anything else ;). And I know it ended up like that at the end, I just don't think it's plausible (as you've presumably realised by now, lol).

20. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    No...I think it's perfectly plausible. I'm perfectly open to people being able to feel that way.

No matters...I got the exact ending I wanted...Fool rejected, Burrich dead and Fitz back with Molly.

But Nighteyes....he was so cool....NOOOOOOOO0O0o0o0oO0O0O0o0O0O