Road to Nowhere

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dlnewhouse, May 25, 2019.

1. dlnewhouse

dlnewhouse Baldur's Gate

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Reading about high speed rail and thinking about Civilization, the video game, if I wanted a rail line between Fort Hood and Pearl Harbor for disembarkment, are there any underwater ridges to build the railway? Yes, it would be a serious public works project, wouldn't it.

If there are ridgelines -

Houston to San Diego then to Honolulu (capital). Also, San Francisco can be connected to Honolulu.

Midway is past Hawaii. Midway is not important unless I want to make a railroad into Tokyo.

On the East side, Houston to Pensacola, FL (Navy OCS), Charlotte, NC (big airport, US Air hub) and Norfolk, VA (Atlantic fleet). If you even need to go as far as Norfolk.

Over the river on I-10 - I don't know that this rail line has been used in a long time, I think the water where they built the rail bridge is too deep or something.

Also, in Pensacola is a GE power station connected to the SR 90 railway.

K, if you have the railroad through GE connected out to Mobile you can go through the Greyhound stations. For the more southern route through Pensacola that is shut down, there is an old Amtrak station to re-open it. It could connect to the main line out in Mobile. The switch just to the east of the GE station is where the rail line splits.

Another idea - link the cities, if they don't already have an Amtrak terminal, using Greyhound bus stations. Like Uptown Station in Chicago.

Los Angeles to Hawaii- everyone would ask for this if there were links from San Diego and San Francisco. There's a Universal City Amtrak/Greyhound terminal that could go by Harvard/Westlake and on its way to Hawaii there's a ridge 3 miles below the ocean surface. or is it 250 feet?

The only public access terminal I see is pier 19 terminal on Honolulu.

The eastern route could also go south from Jacksonville, traveling through Daytona on its way to Miami, FL. There was a marine research center in Daytona.

Connect Florida's orange grove cities? In Civilization terms, if Kissimmee is on the railroad route, that will provide all the resource extraction benefit possible. In Civilization-ease, orchards are a special resource. In addition to bonus food, they'd provide anti-pollution like a forest. The thing is, if you irrigate them, you destroy the orchard, and transform the tile into plains. If you build a road, it's harmless to the orchard. If you build a railroad, it's not entirely superfluous as that it is a location where pillaging is likely to occur.

So, one use of railroads is that you don't need as big an army because you don't need separate garrisons for each significant tile because of the railroads.

Now I remember one of the attempted solutions. Diversity of orchard! Limes, apples, bananas, abounded along the Turnpike. The Republican party went apeshit for one reason - the use of ladybugs to eat aphids. That's what they're for - pest control.

Vancouver and Seattle are already linked by railroad.

From north to south:
    Anchorage looks small.

America, the land of the partially completed railroads.

The railroad out of Anchorage is labeled "Holland America." But the tracks only go up to Palmer and then stop. Was this rail originally meant to go to Valdez? It's partially constructed.

The main line should be from Alaska Ferry Adventures in Homer, AK, to Potter Weigh Station to Anchorage Depot to Palmer.

JCT at the Valdez Ferry Terminal, with a conjunction at Palmer.

The main line from conjuncted from Palmer down to Paxson, Beaver Creek, Snag Junction, Haines Junction, Chilkat, Haines, and Juneau. This can be junctioned at the Juneau Ferry Terminal.

Then the Ketchikan Ferry Terminal.

Finally, link to the Canadian railroad at Prince Rupert Ferry Terminal. The Canadian railroad runs down to Fort Babine in the south. From there, it loops southeast and back to Vancouver, and then goes south to Seattle.

However, permafrost can't be irrigated, and I don't know if Alaska is worth the improvement of an Alaska line.

Vancouver also has a metro line that runs by the airport.

There already is a railroad fragment near Bulkley House that runs up to Bear Lake north and down to Takia Landing.

I suppose that Coast 2000 Terminals is strictly a freight terminal. I've never seen anything like it before, which means there's nowhere to have passengers get off and on in Vancouver.

The eastern line should look like
    Miami
    Fort Lauderdale
    boca raton
    West Palm Beach
    Okeechobee
    Sebring
    Lake Wales conjunction (not a station, a place to merge the track)
    Tampa (if you look at Amtrak's site, there is a place where Miami and Orlando tracks meet, though it's hard to follow on google maps)
    Kissimmee
    Orlando
    Sanford Auto Train Station
    DeLand Station
    Jacksonville
    Jesup
    Savannah
    Charleston
    Florence
    Fayetteville
    Raleigh
    Norfolk
    Newport News
    Richmond (Main Street)
    Richmond (Staples)
    Washington
    Baltimore
    Wilmington
    Philadelphia
    Trenton
    NYC
    Newark
    Bridgeport
    New Haven
    Providence
    Boston

The route has a bit of westward bent south of Orlando but it is not bad.

coastal:
    ???origin city
    Charlotte, NC
    Richmond (Staples) (merge with eastern)
    up to Boston

Across the Atlantic to Terminal Fluvial Barreiro in Portugal?
    The Atlantic Ocean, however, may indeed be too deep. Also, that ocean is not tranquil. The "Pacific" is "peaceful."

Bermuda. It's a US territory. Linked from Boston.

Rockaway Ferry appears to be the best hookup.

On to the next island chain - I don't see where to connect. No airport, bus station, Amtrak, or even a ferry terminal. You can't build on a marina, that's replacing private shipyards with a train.

Horta Port Terminal.
    This island chain is called the Azores. And its Portuguese.

Use subway to link Amtrak stations with airport ticket counters (exception, ferry terminals). That way, you could connect to an airport terminal without disrupting airport traffic.

Use municipal monorail to connect departures with the nearest greyhound bus station.

I wish I had a city name to give to look at a bus interchange, but I can't seam to google what I am thinking of although I have experienced it. A 4 separated roads (8 lanes at least), with medians between each (3 needed), is needed to make it easy for the busses to stop and load and unload. More like 10 lanes to make it clear which are the main access roads (the roads with 3 lanes each) and which (2) are for busses only. Plenty of city maps posted at the transfer. It also really helps if the city has plenty of sidewalks! Because I don't like the idea for the need for park and rides. All the municipal bus routes travel in circle routes for this to work.

Individual municipal bus stops can have an extra lane - more than one extra lane is pointless - since each municipal route is independent.

Metro bus should be coin operated. "What does he mean exact change?"
    Pay the same fee each time you get on the bus. Stay on the bus as long as you want. Susan B Anthony might get some use.

I don't know if anyone has a metro bus interchange anymore. They were for intracity transportation.

Come to think of it, it's the only place I think that an entrance to a subway would make any sense is at a metro but interchange, provided you have a wide enough margin in the middle. But where would it come out? In SimCity, you need a 2nd entrance, you can't give a command like "integrate with airport." But maybe I should play SimCity4. It would give an interesting main street/airport link.

The Atlanta airport seconds as a metro bus terminal for departures. There is more than one bus line that has a stop at departures.

In related video games.

SimCity makes subways very expensive to build.

In railroad tycoon, the value of passenger traffic abates with time. Without a sidewalked democracy, in real life, I don't know there'd be much passenger traffic. My proposal is intended for freight first.

So why have Amtrak at all when freight traffic is privatized? Moving soldiers around, just as in the game Civilization, is a national interest.

More to the point, it is about velocity of economy. In a war, can everyone start driving a lot faster? No. At defcon1, can our freight trains deliver a lot faster? Hell yes. The limitation to 45 mph is exactly why the railways need to be federal, so at time of war the military can ignore the law.

The ones I've seen were the Clinton era [Rockwell Collins] locomotives that easily went 70 mph, while I was eating in Flagstaff 4 of them went right by in about 45 minutes.

I've also seen an Amtrak train go about 120 mph and it wasn't even in a straight line. That was at West Point. It was amazing how it glided on the rails. Hardly a sound.

This is why Japanese engineering on bullet trains has gotten skepticism from American engineers
    1) they don't glide correctly and require laser interferometers to set the rails
    2) they don't self brake completely.
    3) for your curiosity, I think they entered service in 1961.

The point is that the notion that we need new railways for high speed trains is perhaps an attempt to eek performance out of locomotives that weren't made very well.

However, a freight train at 60 mph is more than enough to prevent you from talking to your girlfriend.

However, mining maintains its value better in RRT and it may take a year for a train to load and deliver. It's better to deliver coal to a city that uses coal to produce power and steel.

Sociologically, what this means is, we work, we come home, we snore in front of the TV. The streets are safe. Our children take our money, go on the bus, and drive the economy by spending it. It's a much better world than the one we have had. Also, Oklahoma, thanks for changing the legal driving age to 14.

After looking at the ferry terminals in Hawaii and the Azores, I think Civilization needs to add volcano mining.

central route - connect on down to Memphis and Montgomery and Mobile following the interstates roughly.

Notice, SimCity4 has no monorail. Even they can't figure out what it's good for.

Maybe arcades would have been more successful if they had allowed the use of "silver" dollars rather than tokens. Without that allowance, arcades are perhaps the most unsuccessful business ever tried. The old arcade machines did indeed take Susan B Anthony's and they gave back $.75 like they ought. I know because I was there when it happened. One boy was upset that all he had was a handful of Susan B Anthony's. I said try it and it worked. They are mostly pyrite, I think. Like quarters. I was also there when Canadian quarters didn't work. Money talks and bullshit walks.

Charitably there are so many alternate backings for quarters that I can see how the confusion with Canadian currency can occur. I used to try to collect Indian head pennies because I liked them, not because they are terribly valuable.

Oh, then I remember the Canadian dollar with JFK on the coin, that worked in the machines. Looking at them now, they don't have JFK. They do have $2 Canadian coins.

The way to do an American $2 coin would be to make it no larger but heavier than a Susan B Anthony, so that arcades and busses could still use them.

Canadian dollars are made of valuable material at a loss to the Canadian government. Thus, American currency is not devalued by their use. They came to be considered cool because "government loses money making them."

From there a leap was made that Canadian quarters are cool too. They are cheap coins made of steel. The Canadian paper dollar is worth more than the American paper dollar now, so my childhood impressions may be pointless on the issue.

For instance, I don't think the material of the Canadian dollar is valuable. But the urban legend of the opposite has been an excuse to run a budget deficit.

However, I think the so called Canadian Kennedy dollar's listing as legal tender in the U.S. is what opened the door to accusations by Republicans that Bill Clinton was counterfeiting in NAFTA. The truth is, he got rid of the Canadian crap. Except for the tolls around Houston.

Now I remember, After that people started jamming the coin slots really easily with quarters, disabling the arcade business.

Where did all the white people go, long time passing. Where did all the white people go, long time ago.

It's hard to justify the attempt to use $1 coins again. Ever heard of legal tender laws? Diamond Jims hasn't.

The US has traditionally minted $1 and $5 coins.

To make more profit on the distribution of the coins, the $1 coins should really be pyracite. That should still work with old arcade machines. Pure silver coins are worth more than $1 to order - and should arguably be valued at about $3,000.

$5 or $10 coins should be made of deuterium, like the ring of power. Pure gold coins should really be valued at $40,000,000.

Such a value would allow the government to sell the coins retail for half as much and still make money, and allow a lot of profit to the recipient, just for switching to the coins.

Furthermore, since the police are modeled as a costly city improvement rather than a military unit, what it's saying is the real purpose of the police is to guarantee identity security to each and every American citizen to keep people safe!

In civilization, there is the federal government (yourself), the municipal governments (each city tile and its statistics), and townships, which are attached to a particular municipal tile.

That is to say, state and county governments aren't there. There are some quirks to notice, since I believe this game is based on how the navy sees the country work.

1) All units are supported by a metro, with gold in newer versions of the game and resources in older versions
    2) townships are needed to generate revenue. They are subordinate to municipalities.
    3) resources themselves are not worth anything, in Railroad Tycoon you need to deliver them to a metro that processes them by railroad before you get money.

Ever inspected ebay package sizes? The largest is "freight" which implies move by tractor trailer. Hypothetically, railroads are for freight class 4 which are hard for trucks. But what do you transport freight class 4 with by road? A haul truck? A dump truck? A haul truck is just too big for the road. There's even such thing as a freightliner dump truck. Their mud flaps need to be regulated to an adequate length, lest they kick stones up into people's windshields.

Freight 4 therefore is the biggest thing that can be moved outside a mining zone, where freight 6 will fit on a haul truck.

A few more facts

box car - limit freight 3
    school desk - freight 4
    teacher's desk - freight 6
    things to big to be of use to school system - freight 7

So, we really need big freight rail more than high speed rail. I have no idea if the new rail system in California is that.

Ah, howitzer!

Level 7 howitzers are the ones that are too big and sink into the ground. This is the difference between superfreight rail (freight 6) and ultrafreight rail (freight 7) is the size of freight that can be transported. Level 7 howitzers cannot be transported by haul truck, they just stall.

Anyone seen elephants with our soldiers? Ever seen one act in the place of a locomotive? Knowing the brilliance of the US armed forces, are there enough elephants remaining to run the US army?

If we're using Indian ones, then we have run out of African elephants and they will die from the overexertion.

In Civilization terms, howitzers are WWII era technology that is used to bombard a city, with splash damage. That means when the shells hit, every unit in the city is damaged.

How big is a level 7 howitzer? Up to 45 miles long.

Ultra rail requires a bauxite road bed so that the trains don't sink into the ground. This is expensive. If one section of the railroad goes down into the ground, another must go up into the air!

Bauxite is better used in economical locomotives that don't overheat the cabin and can go about 144 mph.

Superrail is wide enough for freight up to class 6. Everything is larger and heavier when packed than when unpacked.

Megarail! Developed at MIT mechanical in the 30s and redeveloped years later at UIUC physics. It spaces the rails slightly narrower than super rail to prevent wear on the rails. For true freight class 6 capacity.

The idea is breaking distance needs a particular width on the rails, and so does preventing luggage from falling apart if you put it under the passenger cabin like on a jetliner. Did you know you can't check bags for a train ride?

The real advantage of megarail: cross cutting stability at 450 mph. The trains and zoom past each other without falling over.

United Airlines
    International hubs are in bold

• Denver – Denver International Airport (DEN)
    • Houston – George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
    • Los Angeles – Los Angeles International (LAX)
    • Newark – Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
    • Chicago – O’Hare International Airport (ORD)
    • San Francisco – San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
    • Washington – Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD)
    • Guam – Antonio B. Won Pat International Airport (GUM)
    • Tokyo – Narita International Airport (NRT)
    American Airlines
    • Charlotte – Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT)
    • Chicago – O’Hare International Airport (ORD)
    • Dallas – Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)
    • Los Angeles – Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
    • Miami – Miami International Airport (MIA)
    • New York – John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
    • New York – LaGuardia Airport (LGA)
    • Philadelphia – Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)
    • Phoenix – Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
    • Washington – Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA)
    Delta
    International hubs are in bold

• Cincinnati – Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG)
    • Detroit – Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW)
    • Atlanta – Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL)
    • New York City – John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
    • New York City – LaGuardia Airport (LGA)
    • Boston – Logan International Airport (BOS)
    • Minneapolis – Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport (MSP)
    • Salt Lake City – Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)
    • Seattle – Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
    • Tokyo – Narita International Airport (NRT)
    • Amsterdam – Amsterdam Airport Schiphol (AMS)
    • Paris – Charles de Gaulle Airport (CDG)
    Southwest airlines calls the airports where they have a large presence as operating bases.

Southwest
    • Dallas – Dallas Love Field (DAL)
    • Chicago – Chicago Midway International Airport (MDW)
    • Houston – William P. Hobby Airport (HOU)
    • Baltimore – Baltimore Washington International Airport (BWI)
    • Atlanta – Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL)
    • Denver – Denver International Airport (DEN)
    • Las Vegas – McCarran International Airport (LAS)
    • Oakland – Metropolitan Oakland International Airport (OAK)
    • Orlando – Orlando International Airport (MCO)
    • Phoenix – Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
    Jet Blue doesn’t have “hubs”, but rather Focus Cities

Jet Blue
    • New York City – John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
    • Fort Lauderdale – Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
    • Boston – Logan International Airport (BOS)
    • Long Beach – Long Beach Airport (LGB)
    • San Juan – Luis Muñoz Marin International Airport (SJU)
    • Orlando – Orlando International Airport (MCO)
    Alaska Airlines
    Focus Cities are in bold

• Portland – Portland International Airport (PDX)
    • Seattle – Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
    • Anchorage – Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport (ANC)
    • San Diego – San Diego International Airport (SAN)
    • San Jose – Norman Y Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC)
    Virgin America
    Focus Cities are in bold

• San Francisco – San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
    • Dallas – Dallas Love Field (DAL)
    There are only 13 real hubs in the US. Juneau can be connected to Port Edward.

I hear there's a usable steel mill in Atlanta that nobody hardly uses. The 3 most important cities for rail are Albuquerque, NYC, and Boston.

Bill Clinton tried to get Spain in NATO, a deal that was blown by the 1997 Republican congress.
    He saw Madrid as potentially beneficial to American landlift. He observed it as the only port in Europe where passenger traffic was heavy.

BNSF is Canadian. Perhaps Amtrak railways and BNSF freight management.

The primary purpose of passenger trains in real life appears to be spiritual pilgrimage. What matters most is a spiritual pilgrimage to your nation's capital.

NAFTA prevents American currency from being used in Canada. Say what?

Only Republicans could be so dumb. Canadian currency is made of inferior materials and used to be unquestionably of lower value than American currency, for the preponderance of our nations' history. It took George W Bush to change that.

What if - there were a treaty allowing Canada to use American coins and currency in lieu of their own, and they gradually shifted. No more queen of England on a dollar. Imagine imperious Americana.

There's a 4th game on the subject matter - Roller Coaster Tycoon. It includes arcades. It has a setting for the police, maximize child safety or minimize crime by adults.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019