RJ's Answers

Discussion in 'News & Updates' started by Elan Morin Tedronai, Apr 5, 2004.

1. The Hound

The Hound The Everlasting Scream

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm surpised he didn't try to RAFO that one. >_<

2. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Of all the interesting questions one could ask of RJ, this person chose THAT!

3. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    And another one goes to waste........

Question:

Who were the first channelers, and how did they learn? By trial and error? Are there any Ages where channeling does not exist?

Robert Jordan Answers:

The first people to discover the ability to channel learned through trial and error, with fairly high casualty rates until they learned enough not to kill themselves accidentally. Their appearance marked the beginning of the previous Age to that of the books, or at least the end of the Age before that one.

Yes, as I have set things up, there are Ages when no one has any idea of how to channel or even that the One Power exists. Our own, for one. (The Wheel of Time turns.)

4. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I think we already knew that channeling does not exist in all ages.

5. AlgSpkr

AlgSpkr New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Why don't these people ask useful questions?

6. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Some people believe they're just made up, or that RJ isnt even answering them...

7. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Week 19 question submitted by: Ryan H
    Hometown: South Greenfield, MO

Question:

How far can a channeler Travel with the One Power? I know they can Travel anywhere on the globe, and enter Tel'aran'rhiod through a slightly different weave, but is it possible to Travel to other planets, or even planets in other galaxies?

Robert Jordan Answers:

Travel to other planets within the solar system would require a circle of fairly strong channelers, though not necessarily as many as thirteen, depending on exactly how far out they wanted to go. Travel to a planet in another solar system would require a rather large circle (of the maximum possible size) of very strong channelers, and there would a limit on how far they could go in one jump. They could planet-hop, of course. Travel to another galaxy would be beyond them even if they began on the planet in this galaxy nearest the target galaxy.

8. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    ?? Just in case Rand goes looking for Han Solo and the boys.

9. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    New one up people....pretty uninteresting.

Question:

Why was Aginor so interested in the Eye of the World? He could channel clean Saidin anyway so it shouldn't have been an issue?

Robert Jordan Answers:

He was able to channel clean saidin, true, but only through the "filter" which had been provided by the Dark One just a short time previously, which meant the Dark One would be aware of him channeling wherever he was. Remember, Aginor was the creator of the Trollocs; he is quite able to reason things out clearly, at least in a scientific sense. Also, he wasn't certain whether or not the Dark One also would know what he was doing when he channeled, too. For someone as secretive, competitive, and generally untrustworthy as the one of the Forsaken, the Eye of the World amounted to a valuable asset if it could be secured. To put it simply, Aginor saw a means of channeling without the Dark One looking over his shoulder, and maybe a way to increase his own power at the expense of those who didn't have that advantage. Balthamel might well have been for the long drop, administered by Aginor, if things hadn't worked out differently.

10. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    And another...

Week 21 question submitted by: Dustin
    Hometown: Rainsville, AL

Question:

Just how can an Aes Sedai be a damane? Aren't they bound by the Third Oath: to not use the One Power as a weapon except to defend their lives, their Warder's life, or another sister's life? Wouldn't they be useless as damane to the Seanchan?

Robert Jordan Answers:

The Aes Sedai captured by the Seanchan are indeed useless as weapons, except against Shadowspawn or Darkfriends, because they are bound by the Three Oaths, and that limits their value considerably since being weapons is a major use for damane. Damane are used for other tasks, however, including finding ores for mining (Egwene was tested for this, remember; it's a very valuable, and fairly rare, ability), for some mining operations where it would be too dangerous or uneconomical to use human miners (bringing ores out of the ground and refining them using the Power), and in some construction projects, especially where something very large or with a need for added strength is envisioned. The first two both require a high ability in Earth, which has faded considerably on "this" side of the Aryth Ocean and to a smaller degree of the other side, but construction projects and others things, such as producing Sky Lights, are well within the abilities of collared Aes Sedai. The Three Oaths don't inhibit them there at all.

11. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    That question has been doing the rounds for years! It's one of the first questions people ask in Fora like this (actually suprised no one's brought it up here before). My main take on the whole Aes Sedai/damane thing is that it's one way to identify BA.

The other one brings to mind another old question, maybe worth a Speculation thread, what was the Eye made for?

12. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I'd thought that it was made to shelter the horn, and other things that were hidden there, perhaps I'm wrong though.

13. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Thats what I thought it was made for, to hold the Dragon banner and the Horn Of Valere. Maybe they also had some foresight in creating the untainted saidin ?

14. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    the eye seems to me all to similar to a 'well' ter'angreal, all that power stored up. I recon it was just a form of 'lock' like the weaves around callandor. In order to open the eye up and nab the contents, youve gotta channel all that power, and there are only a few who can channel that much, and maybe forsight predicted all channelers when the dragon re-emerged would be a lot weaker than when it was made.

15. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    It seems a lot of work just to keep them safe, why not just weave wards around them like Callandor? It killed the AS who made it, that's a hell of a sacrifice. The Saidin must have been put there for a purpose.

It could have been put there to be a tool for the Cleansing of Saidin, Shadar Logoth didn't exist then. They may have assumed that the Dragon couldn't come into his full power until it was Cleansed or that he would need sane male channellers when he declared himself.

Others believe it was put there so he would 'force' himself to his full strength before declaring himself.

16. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I think the latter option is more sound.

17. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Just when u thought they couldnt get worse....

Question:

How many people have you met that have named their children or pets after characters in your books?

Robert Jordan Answers:

A fair number, though I haven't kept count. I'd say a couple of dozen, at least. Whether there are any who I haven't met, and who haven't written to tell me, I couldn't say, of course.

18. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Hmm . . . I was thinking of asking him the same question. :rolleyes:

19. Nynaeve

Nynaeve <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    Lol. Why would people ask something THAT dumb? I did learn some stuff, only on the good questions OFC.
    Maybe if RJ does pick the ones to answer himself, and really does answer them himself, he may pick the dumb questions so he does not have to give too much important info away. Just a thought. :)

20. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Naw, RJ is a skilled talker, he invented Aes Sedai wordplay and through questions hes shown how good he can do it as if he was under the three oaths. Major question or not, if RJ doesnt want to give anything away, he wont. So i dont think the questions matter.