Riddles in the dark

Discussion in 'Books' started by FirePhoenix, Mar 5, 2013.

1. FirePhoenix

FirePhoenix Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    okay, I have a question about the chapter Riddles in the dark, in the Hobbit. After Tolkien was done with the hobbit he rewritten the chapter so it would fit the story better in Lord of the rings. Where can I find the second version of the chapter?

2. TB Fitz

TB Fitz New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    The original version, later said to have been the version told by Bilbo to the dwarves initially, was to my knowledge only printed in the 1937 release of the book. Upon the further exploration of Gollum's personality and motivations in The Lord of the Rings, Tolkien revised the chapter, under the pretense of Frodo telling Gandalf the true story, as it had been told to him by Bilbo. That version is, I believe, the one used in all printings of the book after the original The original paints Gollum less a villain, and not nearly as obsessed with the ring; in fact, he offers it as a prize to Bilbo if the hobbit can best him in the riddle game. And when Bilbo does win, in much the same manner having already pocketed the ring, Gollum actually does seem as if he means to keep his word. However, unable to find the ring which Bilbo has already taken, the hobbit instead asks Gollum to show him the way out, which the latter does without further incident. Probably more information than you wanted but I do find the stark contrast in character fascinating.