Rhyno things on the Pellinor fields

Discussion in 'Movies' started by dwarf tosser, Mar 9, 2004.

1. dwarf tosser

dwarf tosser "What the Deuce?"

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    What the heck were those things that looked like Rhynos at the pellinor fields. There wasa onoly like 2 seconds of them in the whole movie and then they were gone!

-dt

2. OBSERVER

OBSERVER New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    "Grond, a massive iron battering ram in the form of a ravening wolf some 150 feet long, which was hauled by four great beasts of unknown origin."

"Sauron would have needed beasts of unsurpassed brute strength to haul Grond from Mordor to Minas Tirith, and it appears that he created them, for the monstrosities that pulled it had never been seen before nor have since."

Those quotes are from the Weapons and Warfare book.
    There is a chance of seeing something about them later on in the extended dvd.

3. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Probably some sketches and design art in the Design Galleries of the extended version? Maybe one of them will have a name

4. telcontar_63

telcontar_63 Soldier of Gondor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think it said something about them in the book. I don't think they had a name.

5. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Please don't quote the WW book, it stinks when it comes to real LOTR information. The rino things were not created by sauron, sauron cannot created anything, he can only maniuplate and make in mockery of other things. But these were referenced in the book at the battle of the Pellenor, I don't have the book with me now but I can tell you that it just says something about great beast that hauled Grond. I think they looked pretty cool....I look up the other info, once I get home and can see the book.

6. OBSERVER

OBSERVER New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Contrary to what you believe, the weapons book isn't totally inaccurate.
    It is mostly made up of facts from the books and movies.

If Saruman can combine two kinds of beings and create something new,
    surely Sauron can. Would the Fell Beasts not be around if it wasn't for Sauron?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2004
  7. dwarf tosser

dwarf tosser "What the Deuce?"

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The fell beasts were draagons of old. And Saruman onoly bread orcs with goblin men. The only real Miar that can create stuff was Melkor/Morgoth.

-dt

8. Timmybaby17

Timmybaby17 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I thought Melkor was one of the Valar.

9. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I did too...shoot...now I gotta go pick up The Silmarillion again.

10. GaydalfGayhame

GaydalfGayhame New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The Fell Beast are not dragons.
    Melkor was not a Maiar
    nor is Melkor the only one capaple of creating things.

There is the ONLY one who can grant life and whom created the Ainur and the Valor. The One, Eru Illuvator. Life was granted by Eru through the Flames Imperishable. Melkor was the first created by Eru and he is mightiest of the Ainur and among the Valar. Though of same beings called Ainur, the Valar were of the more powerful, Melkor was not considered a Valar 'cause he was not counted among the 14, but only as an Ainur.

And as for the Fell Beast being counted as a dragon of old, I'm sorry to say that they are not beings of such types as the dragons or worms, but just "Winged Creatures" raised by Sauron to be used as steeds for the nazguls. I also do believe that the name "Fell Beast" was not actully used in the books, but an invention of the writers for the movie which substitutes for "Winged Creatures" ( more likely I could be wrong)

11. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    OK i am going with what EBM said. I'm pretty sure he is right. Sauron didn't create anything, he can only manipulate. The fell beast were so large because sauron bred them into the way that they were. I don't know the exact text but it is in the return of the king the book. DT, i think there are sketches of the rhino looking things in the art of the return of the king book. I also agree with EBM about W&W book. They aren't always acurate and you can never tell, when they tell you something, if it actually happened or not. I remember one line goin "some say that the army of the never went to the pellenor fields . . ." Yeah so you never really can trust them 100%

12. Curufeanor

Curufeanor Master Noldori Elvensmith

The Halls of Mandos in Valinor, on my throne where
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    You are so wrong, Gaydalf. The book did refer to them as fell beasts, though I believe this was only once. Its in the part where the Nazgul swoops down upon Theoden when the sun fades from his shield. Anyways, you all should get back on the topic. I think I heard mention of the rhino looking things to be called Mumak or Mumakil, although when I read that, I stopped to think. I remembered that a Mumak was the same as an Oliphant, as far as I could remember from the The Two Towers. Whatever these things are, they have me baffled.

13. Curufeanor

Curufeanor Master Noldori Elvensmith

The Halls of Mandos in Valinor, on my throne where
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I remember now, they were called something-tarka or tarka-something.... I'll have a little research project on this thing, I know it has a name, but I can't remember it right now....

Last edited: May 30, 2004
  14. Galadriel71

Galadriel71 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    They are called Fell Beasts, created with the purpose of pulling Grond

15. Turgon883

Turgon883 New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    no.....galadriel...the fell beasts are the giant winged creatures that bear the ringwraiths in the 2nd and 3rd books/movies....

16. Turgon883

Turgon883 New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0

According to the books...well Return of the King...Chapter: The Siege of Gondor....In my copy of the book page 99....The "Rynos" that pulled grond...are actually:

"Grond they named it, in memory of the Hammer of the Underworld of old. Great beasts drew it, orcs surrounded it, and behind walked mountain-trolls to wield it."

a little farther down the page....

"Upon it's housing no fire would catch; and though now and again some great beast that hauled it would go mad...."

Hence the creatures that look like Rynos in Return of the King the movie...are in the book referred to purely as "great beasts" .......

17. Urambo Tauro

Urambo Tauro Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The "winged steeds" that the ringwraiths ride are never named in the book, but I think one passage calls them "fell beast"s. The filmmakers decided to avoid inventing a name for them and use the "fell beast" title instead.
    It is the same with the rhino-like "great beasts". While Tolkien named the elephant-like creatures "oliphaunts", he doesn't name the "great beasts". He doesn't even describe the "great beasts". So one could reason that he may be referring to extra oliphaunts pulling Grond. However, it is left to the reader's imagination.
    I think the rhino-like version of a "great beast" was imaginative and also complimentary to Tolkien's style.

18. Galadriel71

Galadriel71 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Yes I know, the "Fell Beasts" were the winged Steed of the Nazgul, In the books The "Rynos"
    are called "Great Beasts", but if you have read other Tolkien books you will notice a whole variety of Tolkien's creature's were simply called "Fell Beasts", MOST LIKELY the Great Beasts referred to in ROTK would be put into the catergory of "Fell Beasts".

19. Turgon883

Turgon883 New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    mmm...i think you are a little confused....anything that is in allegiance with mordor...can be called a fell beast....frankly anything evil can be....notice the lower case f...mmm...it is merely a description...the winged steeds that the nazgul are bourne upon...are merely referred to as fell beasts...the have no name...as nothing of their kind was every seen before or after the war of the ring in middle earth....perhaps this clarifies it up a bit...tolkien doesn't really name every creature...it makes the reading more stimulating...makes the reader think more...it also makes the books connect better with more people...mmm...wow...i just went philosiphical...lol

20. Galadriel71

Galadriel71 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Du saugen Idiota. Du bist klar auf Droges mein friendt Herr Turgon.