Rheagar's son, Aegon

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by EdricDayne, Jul 12, 2006.

1. EdricDayne

EdricDayne New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have read some theories in the past the Rheagar's son, Aegon may still be alive (though GRRM has confirmed that his daughter was definitely killed).

With that theory in mind, take a look at page 493 (Hard cover version of Storm of Swords, Aria Chapter) when Aria meets "Ned" Edric Dayne.
    Edric is described as "..Dornishmen were small and swarthy, with black hair..., bu Ned had bigblue eyes, so dark that they looked almost purple. And his hair was pale blond, more ash than honey."
    Then on page 494 Ned (out of the blue) asks about Jon Snow, and calls him his "milk brother"
    My theory is that perhaps he is really his brother, and they are both Rhegar's sons.

I don't see too much evidence for this anywhere else, but I think something important is hidden here.

2. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Here's the Tower of the Hand arguments against that theory.

As for having purple eyes, that's a common trait of House Dayne, I believe. I would assume so, given that both Gerold Dayne/Darkstar and Ashara Dayne are mentioned to have purple eyes. It's not necessarily a Targ trait.

http://www.towerofthehand.com/articles/a/0013/

Anyway, welcome to TFF! Hope you enjoy it here, and you seem to be a proper ASoIaF fan, given your usertitle. :p

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  3. EdricDayne

EdricDayne New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The proof against the Dayne theory seems to be that he is too young 12 rather than 15. Earlier in the book, Dayne drags Berik Dondarian out of a river and saves his life. Would a 12 year old be able to do this? Also, look at how he talks. He doesn't talk like 12 year old. Also, if he was a milk brother to Jon Snow, he would be 3-4 years younger than Jon. Dayne seems to talk about Jon as if he knew him. He even wanted to talk to Eddard in Kings Landing and seems to talk about him as if he were in his debt.

Other theories say that Aegon could be in Dorn, but clearly prince of Dorn think not (otherwise why marry his daughter to Viceries).

Suppose Aegon was already at Starfall and had his wet nurse. When he was one or so, Eddard stopped there with Jon Snow and took the wet nurse.

Suppose he was really 15 and pretended to be 12. 3 years is not that especially if he is a late bloomer.

4. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    It'd be quite difficult, actually. Also, he wouldn't be 15, he'd be sixteen - and there's a pretty big physical difference between an 12-year-old and 16-year-old.

Besides, having pale hair doesn't really mean much, and purple eyes are supposedly common in House Dayne.

5. K'shar

K'shar Darth Pumpkin

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Would GRRM throw us this much of a red herring???
    I'm not saying I agree with this theory but it is interesting. Quite plausible

6. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I have to side with LD on this one. I doubt Edric Dayne is Aegon Targaryen. He's one on my list of adolescent hotties (like Gendry), but not a Targ.

Anyway, welcome to the forums Edric. It's nice to have another person to toss around material with.

7. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Didn't the Lannisters present the bodies of the slain Targ's to Robert after the sack of Kings Landing?

8. Sphinx

Sphinx New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    That's what I remember reading.

9. Renzokuken

Renzokuken You have failed this city!

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    I thought I remembered that too.

10. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    I don't think I want to know who else is on your list of adolescent hotties. :p

Yes, they did, but it'd be quite easy to substite another baby. It's possible that Aegon is alive, but then again, given GRRM's rather twisted mind, he could be throwing out a false trail.

11. K'shar

K'shar Darth Pumpkin

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Edric you keep believeing what you will and ignore these people. They're just bitter and like to smash everyones hopes. lol.

12. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    its my hobby :p

13. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    :D

I dunno about the bitter. But I'll say "yes" to smashing everyone's hopes. :p

14. K'shar

K'shar Darth Pumpkin

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Trust me if you're not bitter now you will be as you get older

15. Omega3R

Omega3R Mi ne sijemo.

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I guess it's Jon Snow, that Aegon. I believe Jon is the son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen. He must be. Otherwise he would make no sense as a carachter in the plot. There must be something more to him thant just wearing black and fighting the Others.

16. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Yes, but Aegon is Rhaegar Targaryen and Elia Martell's son, not Lyanna's and Rhaegar's. If we're accepting the R + L = J theory (which I think all of us here have), Jon Snow and Aegon would be two separate people. And before the argument is raised that maybe Aegon IS Jon Snow, Jon has been said to strongly resemble the Starks.

17. Omega3R

Omega3R Mi ne sijemo.

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    It is said that he resembles the Starks, but it isn't said how Aegon looks. Acctually, nothing is really said about Aegon and his appearence. Or at least I haven't read anything about it, or remembered reading about it. And there is no Elia Martell here to confirm her being Aegon's mother. It could be Rhaegar and Elia's agreement to say nothing of Rhaegar having baby with Lyanna, and for Elia to accept Jon as Aegon ie as her own son.

I repeat, since we don't know anything about the way Aegon looked like (and from simple genetics we know that if he had a dark-haired mother---ie Lyanna or Elia, and a fair-haired father--- ie Rhaegar he would be dark-haired), it is possible that they actually are the same person.

18. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I severely doubt it.

Aegon the baby is shown with elia in the houses of the undying, I dont think she would have agreed to foster a child that wasnt her own because thats exactly what ned had to do, why do it twice?

besides most support for the R+L=J theory makes it out that lyanna died in childbed at the end of the war having jon, any other time beforehand (such as when aegon was born). and the facts that support the theory would be lost.

19. Omega3R

Omega3R Mi ne sijemo.

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    you don't know how old aegon is. it could have been that they just invented the story about him being older than jon just to protect jon from being killed. he is certainly not very older than jon, perhaps a month or two, so you couldn't tell the difference really.

eddard stark had to do that to protect jon, after rhaegar and elia were killed, because, as rhaegar's son and heir robert baratheon would probably want him dead, just as he wanted viserys and daenerys. elia might have accepted jon as her own son (after lyanna had given birth to the child it was nameless, so rhaegar might have named him aegon, and ned succesively changed his name into jon) out of love to rhaegar. just as catelyn tully stark accepted jon snow afterwards sout of love to eddard stark. it is possible.

20. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Look. There's no way they could have kept it secret. Elia Martell would have been an important figure in court life. People would have noticed if she hadn't gotten pregnant but suddenly gave birth to a son. Aegon and Jon Snow are two separate people.

Jon Snow is also specifically noted to look like the Starks with their long face, etc. Cat notes rather resentfully that Robb, Sansa, Bran, and Rickon all take after the Tullys; only Arya and Jon resemble the Starks.

Search tags for this page

rhaegar and jon fanfic

theories on edric dayne

what are the theories on gerold dayne