Review: Stardust by Neil Gaiman

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Nocturna, May 3, 2009.

1. Nocturna

Nocturna New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The magical tale of "Stardust" begins in the peaceful town of Wall. The town of Wall is a small community which exists the same as it has for hundreds of years. Though there is something even more special about Wall -- it resides directly on the edge of the magical land of Faerie. Because of the unknown nature of Faerie, no one from Wall is permitted to leave and cross into this enchanting world -- except on one day a year (and only into the meadow) -- the day of the annual fairy market. And this is where the true story begins.

On the day of the annual market, young Dunstan Thorn comes across an interesting shop, and eventually buys a crystal snowdrop from a witch's slave. After getting to know this lonely slave, Dunstan Thorn soon becomes entirely (and surprisingly) infatuated with her, and in a moment of passion, finds himself laying down with her the same night. Sadly, this is the last time he ever sees her again, because as the market leaves, so does she.

On the following June, Dunstan marries Daisy, which has been planned for quite some time. Things are going fine, until several months after their wedding, when a basket containing an infant boy is left at the edge of Wall, along with an attached message that reads "Tristran Thorn". That's when this beautiful story skips forward 17 years, and falls into the perspective of young Tristran Thorn.

Upon gazing into the sky and watching a falling star plummet into the distant land of Faerie with his teenage crush Victoria Forester, Tristran makes a deal with her -- one that she jokingly accepts. The deal is that he will cross the Wall into Faerie, find the fallen star, and bring it back to her in exchange for her hand in marriage. And with a quick goodbye he leaves the town of Wall, venturing out into the unmarked world called Faerie.

From talking animals, to gnomes, to magic trees, to unicorns, and even to evil witches -- and from thrillingly scary moments, to incredibly humorous ones, this book has it all. Neil Gaiman's writing style is beautifully poetic, flowing majestically from sentence to sentence and from chapter to chapter. Straight from the first word of this enchanting novel I was completely drawn in, dropped straight into the magical world of Faerie right a long with Tristran. The only downside to this book was that I couldn't put it down -- I really didn't want to read it so fast, but I did, I just couldn't stop. If you enjoy a good, creative fairy tale, aimed specifically at adults, you will indeed love this. Neil Gaiman's Stardust will make you believe in magic again.

Rating: 5/5

2. Jingojolene

Jingojolene Wayfarer, heartlander

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    You captured the magical essence of the tale ^.^

3. Killbot608

Killbot608 prototype killing machine

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    stardust is amazing :D

4. Nocturna

Nocturna New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I agree :D. As is Neverwhere, if you haven't read it (though you probably have). Lud-In-The-Mist is also similar to Stardust, I suggest it if you enjoyed Stardust as much as I did :p

5. Killbot608

Killbot608 prototype killing machine

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    cool, i'll look it up. i must've seen stardust about 8 times by now. one of my favourites i think.

6. Of-war-and-wishes

Of-war-and-wishes Princess of Darkness

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I loved Stardust, I went to it for my birthday with my best friend. We couldn't stop talking about it.

7. Artisteri

Artisteri Webcomic Artist

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I confess, I hadn't known anything about it at all until the movie. Once I watched it and fell in love with it, I realized it was a book. I have yet to read it but I want to sometime, I loved the movie so much!