Review: "Passion of the Christ" WARNING: SPOILERS!!

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Elvenblademaster, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Review: "Passion of the Christ"

In my review, to keep it as short as short as possible, I will discuss it in three major topics, the accuracy of the film according to the Bible, the violence of the film, and the emotional power of the film.

The accuracy.

The accuracy of this film was amazing, depending on what denomination or faith you are, you may have feelings otherwise. One thing that must be kept in mind when watching the film is this; that the Disciples who wrote the Gospels could not be everywhere with Jesus at once. Such as at the Mount of Olives, Jesus leaves the disciples to stand watch and He goes off by himself to pray. In this time Jesus is in incredible torment, the gospels record that his sweat fell as drops of blood (which they do not forget in the movie); in the movie Satan is with Jesus at this time. Many Christians will argue that Satan was not there, but Jesus was in such turmoil of spirit, how could Satan not be there. Satan would have seized every opportunity to torment his greatest enemy while in the flesh. In this scene we see Jesus refuse Satan and decide to go on with what He was there to do. Further accuracy is shown when the Jewish soldiers come to arrest Jesus, mark my words that I said they were Jewish soldiers, they were soldier guards of the Sanhedrin. We are shown Peter draw his sword and strike one the men's ears, and Jesus heals him. If any of you remember there was discussion on a particular scene where it was said that Jesus was ambushed by Jews and thrown off a bridge. This, in the movie is true, and at the same time false. He was thrown off a bridge by Jews, but He was not ambushed, the Jews that threw Him from the bridge were the same ones that arrested Him. They were taking Him back to the city at this time, and he was tied and bound considerably, therefore just before he hits the creek bed below, the ropes and chains snap taunt, and He is then hauled back up. The fact of whether this happened or not in the Bible is irreverent, as I said before, the disciples were not everywhere He was, and therefore they could not record everything that happened to Him. Being thrown from the bridge just further shows the suffering that He went through, even at the hands of His own people. Later, accuracy is further reinforced when Peter denies Jesus, as in the Bible Peter is accused of being a disciple by a woman and two men, in the movie it is the same. There are many more subtle details that were included and it would take much to long to list them now, but be assured that when I say it is accurate I mean even to the very phrasing of the sentences.

The violence.

The violence I think was not all that it was cracked up to be. Yes it was gut-wrenchingly violent, and yes you will gasp in horror as the rods and the multiple cats of nine tails literally rip the very skin from Jesus' side revealing His ribs, and yes there is lots of blood. And when the crown of thorns is jammed down upon his head, the blood will drip through His hair and into His eyes. The blood will spurt as the nine inch long nails are driven into His hands and feet by the unceasing hammer strokes, and yes when they pierce His side with a spear the blood and water will pour forth. You will probably never see so much blood come from one man in another movie, but remember this,
    His blood was shed for you.

The Emotional Power.

The power of this film is unforgettable, if you do not cry at least once during this film, whether you believe in Jesus or not, then I feel sorry for you. To watch as He is beaten within an inch of his very life, and as he drags his torn and bruised body under the cross repeatedly stumbling and falling in utter anguish and exhaustion, is something that no human eye should endure without the shedding of at least one small tear. As he is tempted, betrayed, mocked, accused, beaten, and forsaken we watch with what we believe to be the full understanding of what He went through, yet we still have only a portion of the knowledge. I read in a different thread that some people had a problem with the "evilness" of the Roman soldiers. The hate that the Roman soldier actors portrayed was very good. Put yourself in the actual soldier's position..... Here is this man claiming to be "The King of the Jews", you as a soldier have to deal with every uprising of the Jews, calming their disputes, settling their fights, and solving their problems with the least amount of hostility as possible. Now suddenly you have a chance to vent all you’re built up anger on who? one of the very people who have caused you so much pain. Yes they hated Him and wanted Him dead just as much as the Jews did, this was their chance to be on the same side of the fight as the Jews, this was their chance to not have to do something just for them, this could settle the uprisings. The movie ends with the best possible scene there could be, and I not going to tell you what it is either, go see it for yourself.

Thank you for taking the time to read my review, I hope that if you have not seen the movie yet, this will encourage you to do so. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, I learned, I loved, I cried, and I rejoiced. Praise the Lord!!!
    Please feel free to leave your comments.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2004
  2. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    A fine review, EBM. I very nearly agree 100%. It's obvious you felt passionately about his movie (no pun intended) and you backed up your opinions with reasons for them. Kudos!

3. olivia_the_lamb

olivia_the_lamb Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    Very good review EB! I quote myself saying "No word that man can come up with could describe this movie" but you did a very good job :)! I couldn't have said any of it better myself. And I also feel sorry for the people who didn't cry because even if you aren't Christian I don't understand how you can watch someone endure all that pain just for the sake of his people and his Lord. Powerful!

4. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Being a Jew, I am very sensitive about any anti-semetic gestures. EBM, in your opinion(i've only heard from jewish newspaper etc) was the film anti-semetic in any way at all? This could mean anything from a hint that Jews killed Jesus, or the Jews enjoyed it or anything. Those who are uneducated will assume the worst about the issue. Your comments are appreciated EBM. thanks.

5. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Well I do not think the film was antisemetic. But first of all lets deal with the issue of who killed Jesus.

No one killed Jesus, He laid down His life willing.
    But the Jews did demand that Pilot crucify Him. You being Jewish probably do not beleive this. But Pilot took every oppurtunity to change their mind's. He had Christ tortured and beaten to a bloody pulp and then displayed before the people, hoping that His lacerated and bloody body would change their mind's and they would be appeased. They were not.
    Secondly, the Romans beat Him with the cats and the rods and their hands. The Romans put Him on the cross and nailed Him to it. But it was the Jews who demanded it. Obviously you will not believe any of this, but that is your choice.

The Jews demanded Jesus' death, the Romans carried it out, But no one killed Him, He gave His life away for your sin's.

6. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    That's a great way of putting it, EBM. I think I could agree with that.

7. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Well thank you, that does mean a lot to me, serioulsy.
    But seeing as how jessek has not responded, I think he doesn't agree;)

8. Arijah

Arijah The Firstborn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    EBM, good review.

Anybody who's seen the Passion or even knows scripture, should be able to realize that Jesus died for political reasons. He was a threat to the pharisees, and his kingship was a threat to the all-powerful Romans at the time. This should only solidify the authenticity of Jesus's sacrifice for mankind in that He died because of who He claimed to be, the Son of God. I feel that Jews who are worried that this film is anti-semitic have every right to be worried, but after having seen the movie myself I also feel that they shouldn't be and should quit making such a big fuss about it.

Question for thought...Since the Passion has stirred up so much controversy on whether or not it's anti-semitic or not, why hasn't there been such a controversy over the new Alamo movie coming out, and how that might make Americans/Texans feel anti-Hispanic?

You are right! Haven't heard a thing yet!

Why do we give Oscars to people who play roles as otherwise disreputable characters who glorify things that people normally go to jail for, yet when a movie like this comes out...controversy.

We live in a stupid society.

9. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Um...dude In all mt studying I have never heard or even given a thought to Jesus dying for "political reasons" he was not here to become king of the jews, he already was, he was not looking to get placed into kingship and remove Herod. Don't you think king of kind of a step down from......hmmm God. He was not here to be a King, he was here to die for our sins and to rise from the dead and then ascend into heaven.Not to ascend to a worldy throne, he has a heavenly throne. I hate to blatantly disagree with some one, but your wrong, Jesus didn't give a crap about politics, I am sure jerimiah will be with me on this too.

10. Arijah

Arijah The Firstborn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In retrospect, that's no where near what I meant and I'm glad you disagree with what you understood, but let me correct it and in the end I think we'll all be happy. It would have been better if I had said He was killed because of political reasons. This being the Roman/Pharisee perspective. Never did I wish to imply that Jesus sought the throne or whatever, and that's why He died...I disagree with that, for I know better.

Hope that clears it up...

11. NateDogg2

NateDogg2 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I loved the film. One of the stupidest criticisms that I have heard about this movie is that it is anti-semetic!

Jesus is jewish (or a semite). Almost all of the disciples were jewish too. Most everyone in the movie is jewish. I would argue that if something is anti-semetic it is anti-jesus. It is one of the most ignorant criticisms I have ever heard. This movie in no way spreads any message of hatred for jewish people. It is a historical piece. It is no more anti-semetic than the story of a southern slave is anti-white people. How foolish.

I recently saw an actress (I dont know which one) say in an interview, "I think that it is terrible that anyone would use his (Jesus') name to spread a message of hatred". I doubt this woman has even seen the movie. There can't be anything farther from the truth. The film spreads no hatred. Watch it for yourself and then tell me how it is anti-semetic.

12. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    A jew would find it very anti semetic.

13. NateDogg2

NateDogg2 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How so???

14. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Jews believ that in no way were they responsible for the Crucifixtion of torture of Christ. Think of it this way, its Christmas eve and you here someone down stair you quietly go down to see what is going on and as you turn a corner WHAM theres this guy, before you understand or realize what has happened, you have killed santa claus. Now of course you being a good person were just defending your home, you were taken by suprise and you reacted to quickly, but you don't want to admit it was the real santa, you just tell yourself it was a fake, it was a burgalar. Now this is the way the jews feel about Jesus, they were responsible for His death, but they won't admit it. And through the centuries they have forgotten that it really was Jesus and their generations have come to accepting the fact that He was just a fake. To them that is as obvious as to me that He was real. Now obviously I don't beleive in santa, nor do I believe he is at all related to Jesus, it was an example to show what it would be like. To further show this think of it this way to, you having killed sant have now ruined Christmas for your kids, so you tell your kids and then they tell their kids and then thier kids, that the santa you killed a long time ago wasn't real, santa hasn't come yet fir christmas. It is the same for the jews, they don't believe that Jesus was really the messiah, so they are still waiting for Him, in another words, they are still waiting for Christmas.

15. NateDogg2

NateDogg2 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just becase they had Jesus put to death does not make the film anti-semetic. Like I said earlier. I am a white guy. If I hear the story of killed and tourtured black southern slaves I dont feel like they are attacking white people. It is just what happened. No jews today had Jesus put to death. Just as no white guys today have owned black slaves. A historical story can not be anti-something. If there is no bias put into the historical story, then it is purely historical truth.

I hope you get what I am saying. Do Germans or Japanese find the story of WWII anti-germanic or anti-japanese? It is nonsense. It is history. What happened has happened. Jewish people are not attacked in this film. It just doesn't make sense.

16. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Your right and I agree, but thats not how the jews see it, like I said they are ignoring history, they don't want to understand their mistake. I do not beleive the film was antsemetic, but a jew would. They would be wrong, but they would still find it antisemetic. And actually many people don't like Mel Gibson for his hisory of making what seems to be hate movies, they are in fact some of the most historical accurate movies you will find, for instance Braveheart, I have studied William Wallaces and scotlands hitory very much and this movie comes very close to the actual evenst that took place. And then you have The Patriot, another anti british movie like Braveheart, The patriot is very close to the history as well, obviously there are always gonna be the movie changes.

17. NateDogg2

NateDogg2 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have been to Scotland and read a couple of books on William Wallace. From my understanding the film is very far from accurate. Still a great film with some historical truth, but obviously "Hollywood-ized". The patriot and the passion I believe are much more accurate and have many historical sources to back them up.

I have never heard a British person complain about Braveheart or The Patriot as being anti-british or anti-anglan, or what ever you call it. I think that this film has come under such harsh criticisms solely because of it's subject matter. Not because it is actually any of the crticisms put against it.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2004
  18. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Well I have several english friends, and they do see it as anti english, but they unlike the jews can admit that the British were terrible to the scotish... but this is not the Braveheart review so, back on topic, unless it refers to the passion, I don't mind thread sway...

19. NateDogg2

NateDogg2 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, I was just trying to get another angle at my thought. Does a jewish person say that telling the story of WWII is anti-semetic. Millions of jewish people died in the war, but I am sure none of them would protest the telling of the holocaust. It is simply history. A valuable thing to learn from.

The controversy isn't over it being anti-semetic. It is really about the subject matter.