Review of The Hobbit

Discussion in 'Books' started by Greybeard, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    CS Lewis published this review of The Hobbit in 1937. I think he nailed it.

2. DSQuinio

DSQuinio The Ancient Gatekeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    "CS Lewis published this review of The Hobbit in 1937. I think he nailed it."

I would agree so, Greybeard. I think he just wrote out what everyone else is thinking; it is true when he said, to quote:

"For it must be understood that this is a children’s book only in the sense that the first of many readings can be undertaken in the nursery. Alice is read gravely by children and with laughter by grown ups; The Hobbit, on the other hand, will be funnier to its youngest readers, and only years later, at a tenth or a twentieth reading, will they begin to realise what deft scholarship and profound reflection have gone to make everything in it so ripe, so friendly, and in its own way so true. Prediction is dangerous: but The Hobbit may well prove a classic."

There is wisdom in The Hobbit that none of the younger kids will grasp right away, but once you read it as a grown up, it is there staring at you right in the face, as clear as day. :)

3. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    Which is the hallmark of all great children's literature really. If it's something that even adults can read and get so much more out of then the author's doing something right.

4. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +330 / 2 / -1
    seconded

I read the Hobbit to my son when he was 7 and he loved it in spite of the fact that I thought it would be too old for him. At 39 I still love the story and get more out of it every time I read it.