Return of the King game

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Mububban, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I had a chance to play the new ROTK co-op game on both PS2 and Xbox on the weekend, and it rocks. If you're into the LOTR movies and/or sword and sorcery co-op adventure gaming, this game rocks.

Each character has their short range melee weapon ie sword, axe, twin knives, as well as a long range weapon ie bow, throwing axe, wizard's staff. As you gain experience and kills, your attack combos get more powerful and varied, and your range weapon packs more punch.

You can, and must at different stages, take the paths of the Wizard, the 3 Warriors, or the Hobbits. So you get a chance to sample all the different characters and their abilities.

It's hard, even on easy, especially as the computer will throw 20+ bad guys against you at once, so you really get a sense of what it's like to face the overwhelming numbers of the Orcs and Uruk-Hai and Easterlings etc. You're quite likely to wear out your Parrying button! Trust me, you'll need to parry A LOT.

As expected, Gimli is slow but strong, Legolas is fast but not as strong, and Aragorn is a compromise. Gandalf kicks butt because he uses Glamdring and his staff together. And strangely, Aragorn can run faster than Legolas!

The controls are simple and intuitive, the graphics and sounds are impressive, and it's great (but hard and often frustrating) fun, especially playing with other LOTR-obsessed mates :)

2. Legend

Legend Made in NZ

Land of the Long White Cloud/Aotearoa/New Zealand
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the review, Im getting this game in a couple of days, can't wait

3. Lainovion

Lainovion Royal Guard of Gil-Galad

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I own the Xbox version of ROTK. I got it the day it came out. I must say, it is a great game. The graphics are outstanding, the music is directly from the film, and the option of playing the game Co-Op completes it. That is what the TT version of the game was lacking. It looks like EA listened to the cry of LOTR fans. I could play this game over and over again, Two thumbs up !