Replica of Richard's Sword!

Discussion in 'The Sword of Truth' started by Balthor, May 4, 2006.

1. Balthor

Balthor Half-elf Ranger Smith

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    For those of you with an interest (on this forum it should be MOST of you), and who did not see my post on the weapons and armour forum, I have made a replica/interpretation of the Sword of truth. I posted it on another forum, and was eventually convinced to sell it to another forumite. I post it here for interest sake, and to get feedback from fans on what they like/don't like about my interpretation.

The blade of the sword itself comes from a bare production blade made by Fulvio Del Tin in italy. It is made of a carbon spring steel called CK 55 which is Europe's version of AISI 1050.

The rest, the guard, handle Pommel and embellishments were made by myself.

The whole thing weighs in at just over 3 lbs. My goal was to make a functional version of the Sword of truth that could be actually used, not just put up on a shelf or hung on the wall and admired. I hope the fellow who bought it appreciates it as much as I did. I think I will have to make another, for I miss it alot.

Anyways, enough about it, here is the sword, in as much glory as my crappy photography skills will allow...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  2. Numenor53

Numenor53 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Wow, Balthor thats pretty impressive.
  3. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    Indeed. Very nice!! :)
  4. chancock

chancock New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks like it could be a movie sword-Great Job!!
  5. rahlparker

rahlparker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That sword is dead on how I pictured the sword of truth. Wonder how much you sold it for, well, if you make another one and want to sell it, let me know. I'd love to have one
  6. Yehir

Yehir Wise Fool

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, nice work!
  7. Balthor

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the comments. this was a great learning experience for me, both in the making of the sword and in the aftermath of the sale.

This sword has made it back to me, due to some interesting developments initiated by Mr. Goodkind himself. Long story short, I had to agree with him that the image of the sword is his property, and it was wrong of me to make AND SELL his copyright property.

All is not bad, I have another commission for two custom swords that was initiated through the making and selling of this one. Suffice to say in the future, I won't be selling someone else's design without their express permission first.

Thanks again,

"Balthor"
  8. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    That's good then. Glad you have the skill to make such a nobel weapon. :)
  9. Balthor

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, now that I have the sword back, I can try my hand at leatherworking, to make a suitable scabbard and baldric:duh: . I'll be sure to post the whole kit and caboodle when I'm finished.

Balthor
  10. Belles

Belles Mord-Sith

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Who knows maybe he might have you make one or use yours for the mini-series.:)
    -Belles
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    Maybe TG will contact you in order to use it for the upcoming mini series! That would be neat!
  12. Balthor

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Neat indeed. (Rubs hands conspiratorily...)

I'll keep you posted if anything like that should happen... ;)

Balthor
  13. MasterofReality

MasterofReality The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It's nice, but in the pics it looks like its made out of plastic. It's probably just me.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Balthor

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    That's the difficulty in taking pictures of shiney steel, it always either gives off too much glare, or gets completely washed out. It's a skill I would like to work on, I agree, the pictures are not very good.

But the sword is made of spring steel, with mild steel furniture. I wish it was plastic from a labour intensity perspective, but that would kind of defeat the purpose.

Balthor.
  15. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 1 / -0
    It's just the flat even light. If you look on a lot of blade makers' sites, you'll see similar pictures. Using flash (unless it's a studio white soft box or something similar) just results in blinding flash spots on the shiny reflective steel. These photos (apart form the second one) look to be taken with no flash, in total shade, possibly in the late afternoon when the lighting is nice and shadowless. That way the whole sword is evenly lit, with no shadows or bright flares, to disguise the wire wrapping, or the fuller, or the delicate detailing on the pommel etc. It's bloody hard to get a good photo of a blade without flat even lighting!
  16. Tarzan456

Tarzan456 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    what's the overall length of the sword? (just curious)
  17. Balthor

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Total length is 41" long blade length is 32.5 inches.
  18. Webscar

Webscar New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I know this is a old old old thread, but I am REALLY interested in this!

(still trying to get the pictures to work)

Might I ask how much the total materials cost?
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    You might try sending a private message to Balthor - considering he made it. :)
  20. Balthor

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the interest Webscar. The materials for the sword were not that expensive, with the exception of the blade, which cost me about $200 including shipping.

The rest of the materials are pretty mundane: mild steel, brass 16 ga. sheet, hickory sledge handle, and about 70 feet of 20 ga. galvanized wire. I could have used silver wire but at $6 for 5 feet, it was getting a little on the pricey side, plus this being my first sword and the fact I messed up about 80 feet of the wire the first time around, it was necessary to build it with some "throw-away" materials. I tried stainless steel on two swords I made for Terry himself, but I couldn't fathom the mystery of making stainless steel stick to itself, so I went back to good old galvanized, but used a lighter guage (thinner) wire.

Overall the raw materials for each sword cost me (including the blade, handle and guard materials, grinding disks, broken files, grinding belts, and bandaids), about $300.

I didn't take any finished pictures (or very good qulity in-progress pictures) of the swords I made for Terry, but here is some nearly finished pictures of them. He wanted some changes made to the pommels to be more like his design. I still couldn't get them quite right (Terry couldn't provide a picture), but I think they are fairly close.

Here they are, flanking the original:

[​IMG]

and here they are before cutting the pomel nuts down, taken in very bad lighting indoors at night:

[​IMG]

Those rounded pommels were done by hand, without a lathe, only a drill press and an angle grinder, files, and sandpaper - what a mess!

Thanks again for your interest.

Balthor.
Search tags for this page
albion moat sale

sword of truth replica

sword of truth replica blade for sale