Religions co-existing

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Dreamscape, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Dreamscape

Dreamscape The Cricket

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Seems as though religion always seems to be at the throat of other religions. I like to imagine that people can accept the beliefs of others with respect, and I know that many people do... but with some people, there always seems to be a resistance. Personal opinions on religion, and why some people are so much more accepting than others? Nothing better than a juicy controversy.

2. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    I think that there have been a lot of good things done in the name of religion, and a lot of bad things also... and I'm talking any religion here, not just Christianity or something like that.

My personal opinion is that the world wouldn't be better off without religion in it, nor is it necessarily better off with religion in it. Religion is only what people make of it, and if you have a bunch of zealots who want to silence the other zealots, then that's what causes conflict, not religion itself.

So, while the majority of religious folk are happy to live in harmony with their neighbours, you'll always get the rabid few whose egos get the best of them and will always find ways to silence (if not outright eradicate) what they consider to be competing beliefs or modes of thought.

That's my take anyways.

3. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    If respect is taught along with religion, problems are far less. It can happen. However, seeing as just about EVERY religion is "the one true way" then everyone else is wrong, so it's fairly inevitable that human arrogance will mean that intolerance will ensue.

4. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

All religion is bad, all religion is dehumanizing and degrading.

I don't care if it's an Islamic terrorist in Iraq, or an Amish woman riding in a horse drawn buggy in Pennsylvania; it all perpetuates a lie.

5. Taliesyn

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    In your opinion. There would be many in the world whose experience would be the complete opposite of yours. ;)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  6. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    best religion ever :D

7. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I'm not gonna comment on Sparrow's post,but one thing I do know is that every country with a major muslim population has been involved in civil wars or ethno-religious conflicts and trouble.

India: Muslims vs Hindus and Sikh
    Kashmir: Battle between muslim pakistanis and Hindus
    Afghanistan: Taliban and mujahedin vs Budhists and others

Lebanon: Sunni Muslims vs Shia Muslims vs Christians etc.
    Syria: Sunni Muslims vs Shia muslims and Christians
    Egypt: Sunni Muslims vs Copts
    Sudan,Nigeria: Muslims vs Christians
    Libya,Tunisia,Algeria.....turmoil
    Cyprus: Sunni Muslim Turks vs Greek Orthodox Cypriots
    Bosnia: Muslims vs Serbs vs Croats
    Kosovo: Muslim Albanians vs Orthodox Serbs and everyone else
    FYROM: Muslim Albanians vs Slavs
    Albania: Muslim Albanians vs Greek Orthodox Christians
    Mali,Cameroon: Muslims vs Christians and other Muslims

Turkey: Muslims vs Christians

Iran: Muslims vs moderate muslims and communists
    Iraq: Sunni Muslims vs Shia Muslims

Nagorno-Karabakh: Muslims vs Armenian Christians
    Jordan: Muslims vs other Muslims

Somalia: Muslims vs others

Chechnya,Dagestan: Muslims vs Orthodox Christians and other Muslims

And some other Asian countries have had problems with Muslims.

8. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
  9. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    and serbs are the aggressors

and Armenians are the aggressors

and russians are the aggressors

10. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    1.Serbs were not the aggressors.Bosnian Muslim President Alija Izetbegovic himself had written that Islam cannot co-exist with other religions.He insisted to make Bosnia and Herzegovina independent even though HE KNEW that this is would drag the region to war.Because the Bosnian Serbs wanted to remain in Yugoslavia and the Croats wanted Herzegovina to join Croatia.Plus the first blood in the war was spilled by Bosnian Muslims.They stopped an Orthodox wedding ceremony in Sarajevo killing the father of the groom and wounding the priest.

2.Armenians were not the aggressors.Nagorno-Karabakh was an area belonging to Armenians but after the collapse of the Soviet Union the Azeris wouldn't let the Armenians take it.By using their much bigger and far stronger army the Azeris tried to smash the Armenians of Nagorno-Karabakh but they lost the war.

3.Nope,Russians weren't the aggressors,they did make a lot of tactical mistakes during the war,but the Chechens were to blame,especially when near the end of the First Chechen war the ideology changed from Chechen nationalist to jihad.I suppose you refuse to see videos of Christians being executed by Chechen rebels or you don't care about the terrorist attacks they caused in Russia against women and children.

11. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    chechens were to blame for wanting to be independent... and who's to blame for Srebrenica massacre? If Dudajev was not killed there would have been no terrorism, but russians killed of all normal leaders and now islamist morons rule the country...

well I agree it is more complicated with karabakh, since both sides were pretty crazy....

12. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    The Srebrenica massacre was a hoax and a propaganda triumph of the West.And Chechnya was a small republic in Russia with a large number of Russians.Russians of Chechnya and many Chechens didn't want to leave Russia.The Chechen Wars became a war against Sunni fanaticism.Chechens,Arabs,Afghans,Turks and others wanted to create an emirate of the Caucasus and impose sharia law.

Have you seen beheadings of Christians by Chechens?Have you seen torture of people by Chechen rebels?Hmm?

13. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0

You're talking about different people with different beliefs and mindsets in different countries.I'm talking about muslims specifically and that in almost every country they have a significant population there were civil wars and conflicts.

14. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    I just wonder what are you smoking, dude... must be good shit ;)

15. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

Ain't that the truth. ;)

16. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

It really doesn't matter what the experience is.

If you accept any religion that places you beneath a supernatural presence you have degraded yourself. I don't think you understand the underpinnings of organized religion, or perhaps your penchant for being *nice* overrules actually thinking about things. All religions require you to submit yourself to a higher power, or a greater good, or whatever. It's that act of submission that I consider to be dehumanizing.

17. Taliesyn

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    I love you too, Sparrow. :D

18. Stormborn

Stormborn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    It's not only in religion you have to submit to a higher power.

19. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I don't smoke anything biatch.What happened in Srebrenica?You wanna know?Srebrenica was a UN "safe heaven" but for 3 years the muslim commander Naser Oric launched attacks on nearby Serbian villages and towns.For 3 years he raided and murdered civilians,the muslims butchered entire villages and burned houses.

After repeated attacks,the Serbs decided it was time to stop him and besieged Srebrenica.The Bosnian Muslim leadership decided to "sacrifice" Srebrenica in order to gain attention from the Western powers.They ordered the retreat of most forces in the town leaving Srebrenica with only few defenders.

The Serbs quickly took it and put the women,children and some old men in 30 buses and sent them to other Muslim-held towns and cities.

Some of the fighters and men managed to escape,others died trying to fight their way out of the Serbian lines.

Some men were rounded up because the Serbs were looking for the ones who committed the attrocities against the civilian populations of the nearby villages and towns.

Probably a number was executed,but nothing even close to 7000 or 8000 like Madeleine Albright and some Western Europeans rushed to claim without any real evidence.

Mixed graves of dead Serbs murdered by Muslims,Muslim dead fighters and dead from the siege.Some Muslim "dead" were found voting in the next elections,others were found fighting in Bosnian Muslim formations still holding out against the Serbs.

Don't you DARE come talk to me about Yugoslavian Wars.

And we all know how biased and racist you are towards Russians and Slavs in general.

Did the Russians do a lot of mistakes during the Chechen War?Yes.The Russian Army under Yeltsin was chaos.They commited a lot of tactical and political mistakes.They did bomb a lot of neighborhoods and parts of Grozny without taking the civilian casualties into consideration,yes these are mistakes.But the Chechen rebels were fanatic jihadis.Remember the Moscow Theater attack?The attack on the school in Beslan?The attacks against pro-Russian Chechens and Russian police and Army in Chechnya?Have you seen Chechen rebel videos where they cut off heads and fingers? Are you living in a dream world?What?

20. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Oh man, why do these debate threads about religion pop up everywhere?