Religions, Beliefs, and Spirtuality

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Alchemist, May 9, 2006.

1. Ser Land

Ser Land New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Not quite.

The most important questions, I believe, can't be answered with certainty. We must seek the answer to them through a rational process of accumulating experience through ourselves and others. The answers may not be real answers to the questions asked, but more of a realization that the answer isn't as important as making the questions, for they may be paramount to one's happiness.

For instance, why are we here? What's the meaning of existence? Finding an answer to that question may be beyond our grasp, but isn't it more important, ultimately, to find our own goals in life, to be happy?

2. Ser Land

Ser Land New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

As to your first paragraph, I said that in one of my previous posts.

Science can determine how far the Universe goes. They can't do it to a precise extent, but they're probably not very far.

You're third paragraph is a horrible example of an analogy. We KNOW that there is a Sun, and that it has a center, and though I am not sure of it, I think it is likly that we know what's at the center of the sun. As to Heaven or Valhalla, Olympus, etc, there is no empiric proof of any of them, whatsoever.

How should we judge the deities, then? We can't access that which is out of our comprehension. The supernatural, in all its forms, is the way the human mind finds to cope with what it doesn't understand. The great revolution was when humans started to believe that just because they couldn't understand it yet, that didn't necessarily mean that it couldn't be understood, that is was beyond our grasp.

3. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    sry to restate something.. couldn't read all the posts..

thought there were quite a few different theories as to how far the universe went, and they ranged from a finite number to infinity. which is quite a large gap..

well, first tell me honestly whether you know exactly what lies outside of the observable four-dimensional universe, then tell me you know for certain there is nothing outside the currently observable four-dimensional universe.

how about we don't bother judging the deities, them being beyond grasp anyways? It doesn't really further our insight any to guess at their natures, or to try comparing them with something that exists on the four-dimensional plane.

4. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Nothing in mount Olympus,but some people say there are...some "gates" there...magnetic fields...I don't know...astral gates?Some weird things like magnetic fields etc.

But anyway,you can go visit mount Olympus.

5. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Who says there's nothing on Mount Olympus? I mean we can't see God, so why wouldn't these Gods be invisible to us either? Wouldn't they keep their presence hidden to us? Can you truly prove they are visible to us and God isn't?

6. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I was making a small joke there because there are many people who talk about supernatural stuff and ancient Greece connecting ancient Greeks with advanced technology and aliens.The famous "Epsilon" theories and generally all that paraphilology and occult around the ancient greek civilization.

7. Ser Land

Ser Land New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I've already said we can't prove there are no gods, and there might be, but there is no proof of them. If you ask me, they are just human creations, but I might be wrong and it might all be their doing. It's all a matter of faith, whereas science is a matter of observation and empiricism.

And I don't get your last paragraph, are you supporting me?

8. alica

alica New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am a human being and belief in religious thing too. Belief is something that we show at others.