Religions, Beliefs, and Spirtuality

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Alchemist, May 9, 2006.

1. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Now that is really interesting actually and no offence to other religions, it makes more sense...It just seems more realistic, obvious that if there was a God that at least the universe was created before God...

2. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    The thing about religion, is that none of them make sence in human terms. If you try to make sence of something you try to make it human, Gods and devils are beyond human understanding. That's why it's called faith, you either believe it or you don't.

3. Elemental Master

Elemental Master New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm a christian and that's all i have to say really. i believe that God is the I Am and always will be the I am. The idea that the universe was created before God is kinda weird to me because in my beliefe God created the universe. I don't need to understand it because i know it's true. to me the proof is in my heart. I grew a christian due to my parents both being missionaries. My father is a pastor and my mother passed away, but she was a missionary too. I believe in what my dad likes to call a Shepherd-to-sheep-friendship. I believe that you can have a personal relationship with God and call him your best friend. In believing this I now have a great relationship with my creator and it makes me who I am. I believe that God sent his son to earth to die on a cross for all mankind. I also believe that God is somehow everywhere and Is in the past in the future and in the present. That's why they call him the I Am. As far as the converting people into my religion idea goes I think that God only wants me to spread his word so that others may have the choice. In spreading his message I give God more of an oppurtunity to come into others lives. I also believe in life after death in heaven or hell. In accepting Christ as my savior, now i'm allowed the privelage of entering the gates after i die.

4. Apollion

Apollion King Arthur Geek

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I think I'll add a little to the thread. :D It's kind of hard to say what religion I am, but most of my beliefs stem off Neo-Paganism/Agnosticism?/something else. I believe in a god(not really the judeo-christian, muslim God) that has 3 different aspects. So I worship 3 different aspects of God(confusing, no?), and those aspects usually are similar to each other. However, they all come from different cultures. All 3 of them have something in common, the main being they are each psychopomps(deities who help souls in the afterlife). Psychopomps obviously have to do with death, and therefore I find death(natural death, like from disease or old age) sacred.

Why do I believe the way I do? I don't know. But I also strongly believe in evolution, old earth, and other sciences. I don't believe God in his/her/its aspects is all powerful, cruel, nice, caring, etc. but neutral. I don't believe that things happen because God wanted them to; things happen just because they happen. It's kind of odd how I believe in sacred death, and I'm not even sure if I believe in souls, afterlife, damnation, etc. At the same time that I am somewhat religious, I am also somewhat of a skeptic.

I hope that's an interesting view. It's always too complex to describe it to individuals.:halo:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Elemental Master

Elemental Master New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow, that definately is interesting. So you're a skeptic and somewhat religious? That's really interesting.

6. HumanInfiltrator

HumanInfiltrator The Book club lady

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I not only find your view interesting I also find it extremely honost. I'm afraid most people try to be either believers or doubters, but in truth we are all a little of both.

7. Sorcha

Sorcha Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Ok I guess it's my turn :p

I don't really like defining myself and beliefs for several reasons. One, it's caused me incredible grief in the past, and two, I don't really fit the mold for anything. lol. If I had to, I would define myself as a sort of universalist and a christo-pagan.

I believe that there is one god, and all the gods and goddesses that have been worshipped are all aspects of this one divine force. It is easier for humans to grasp one aspect of god than to grasp the entirity of an omnipotent omnicient spirit, and thus the pantheon was created. All religions are worshipping the same god.

I believe in karma and I'm researching reincarnation, but it makes sense to me. I believe in the 3 fold law, that whatever you do will come back to you threefold. This can be in life or after death.

"An ye harm none, do what ye will." Basically the golden rule. This includes doing something to harm myself. I don't drink, smoke, and I try to eat very healthy. I do not believe in moral absolutes, as what is good for one person is bad for another.

I do consider myself a witch in training, but I have yet to do a ritual. There is no universalist church around here, and I feel funny doing it in my dorm room. My roommate is a Christian ed major, and I know she feels uncomfortable about this. I can't do them at home either, because my parents are Christian, and my mom is very conservative. I don't want to disrespect them like that. I think the divine understands.

I used to be Christian...Baptist, then Presbyterian. Those still greatly influence my beliefs. But I'm not Christian anymore. At least not a "good" one, by conventional standards...if you're curious, ask, but I have a class to get to right now :p

8. HumanInfiltrator

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I guess it is time to define my beliefs.

I believe in God, the father, the being that created all things, who always has been and always will be. He is the personification all things good, love, justice, acceptance, knowledge ect. He created us because he is a creator, he gave us freedom of choice because he loved us. He does not bring misery, we humans do. He also has a wicked sense of humour.

I believe in the Avatar of God, his son, the aspect of himself which became human and showed us God's true being and intention. I don't think it matters whether Jesus was the Avatar it matters that I believe that God would have done this.

I believe in the Holy Spirit that multiple aspects of God that exists in each of us as guide, protector and communicator. It is the little part of God that forms a part of our souls, that aspect of ourselves which is undying, everlasting and unique. The part that connects us to His power that gives us the ability to communicate through prayer and grants us power through faith.

I believe that there is a grand design, a path that will lead us to every thing we need. Happiness, contentment, helpfulness, acceptance, understanding, survival are what happens when we follow the path set out by God in his omnipotance. Pain, suffering, loneliness, unhappiness and fear is the result of our own or others incorrect choices.

I believe that true evil exists what ever name you want to give it. We all bear it's stain for it is part of all things. It is powerful and selfish and though it can be seen in all these petty things called "evil" that is merely an outline. It lures, it hides in plain sight and it devours.

I believe in devine energy, some call it spirit or auras or chi. It is the power we gain from God that can be manipulated and used as we see fit.

I believe heaven and hell exist as a frame of mind, but have not quite desided what I believe about what happens after death. Mostly because I don't believe it matters. The idea of re-encarnation makes sense to me, but I don't believe it happens too everybody.

I believe that $hit happens, nobody is perfect and that I do not have the right to judge but that I do have the responcibility too question. I call myself Christian because it makes my life easier. I don't have to explain everything and people are comfortable with that definition.

If you want more classification or want to know my reasons or substantiations, ask.

9. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    I'd like to share my religious views too :)

I follow the prophet Tolkien and am a Tolkienistic cult member. The religion has many millions of followers the world over. The holy book of Tolkien has been widely translated and is one of the most widely published books ever. The holy book is divided into old (Silmarillion) & new (LoTR). There are many lost scrolls which are expanding our understanding ~ Unfinished Tales, Lost Tales etc.

Holy are the words & thoughts of the Father of All, Ilúvatar and his children, the Ainur (Valar). Mighty amongst the 14 Valar in Eä (Earth & Universe) are Manwë and Varda and the fallen one, Melkor. The lesser gods, the Maia are also bountiful although some serve Melkor ~ Sauron and Gothmog being the chief amongst those who have fallen.

Our religion offers choice ~ a wise or mighty God-dude (Manwë, Aulë, Oromë, Námo(Mandos), Irmo(Lórien) & Tulkas) or a God-chick (Varda(Elbereth), Yavanna, Nienna, Estë, Vairë, Vána & Nessa). They are benevolent and just, cool and awesome. Blessed by thy names.

If you'd like to become a priest(ess) of Tolkien please send a SAE to:

I want to follow Tolkien
    Priesthood Application Services
    The God Shop
    Valinor

Peace be with you :D

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  10. HumanInfiltrator

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Elladan, I get the distinct impression that you are incapable of taking anything serious.

11. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    Tolkienism encourages you to defend everything that is good and beautiful. Can I help it if my joy overflows occasionally?

On a more serious note then ~ I'd say I'm an athiest or perhaps more accurately a very sceptical agnostic (using the definition of an agnostic as one who disbelieves as there is no coherent or convincing argument to prove a deity's existence). I don't believe in an afterlife ~ I think we get one shot at it so should make the most of it. I find the concept of institutionalised religions abhorrent. If there is/are God(s) the spiritual link should be direct without need for a 'church' structure, teachers or doctrine. Although I may make light of it, I do not begrudge anyone their individual beliefs apart from when that view is preached as 'the right one' without respecting the recipients own right to choose/beliefs.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  12. HumanInfiltrator

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Institutions urgh. I think a good way of putting it is faith is of God, religion is of man.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    precisely

14. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    Very good ~ to refine my comment then :) ~ I've no time for religion but can understand people finding peace/comfort from faith even though I don't personally nor do I think a deity is a necessary factor in gaining this 'feel good' factor. Wipe out religions and all those who are currently separated by doctrine ie muslims/christians etc would find common ground and values.

This quote is quite succinct too:

"A faith is something you die for, a doctrine is something you kill for. There is all the difference in the world."
    - Tony Benn

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  15. HumanInfiltrator

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    This is an indisputable truth. Too which all intelligent reatures can agree.

16. Jendra

Jendra Jendra

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    An interesting quote...and a truth, as was said. People fight over stuff even that may or may not be doctrine...and it's the faith that's what's worth dying for.

17. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    i am a protestant christian, with superstitious subtones as well as a belief in the existance of magic, the chi, karma to a certain extent, neutral intelligent supernatural beings (faerie, etc) and the power of faith.

18. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +119 / 0 / -0
    Post-humanism: The belief that the concept of "human nature" is archaic and out-dated, and that we as a human race have the ability to change what we perceive as being human nature to one that is more individualist and compatible with modern life.

Also, I'm an atheist because there is no concrete proof for any religious beliefs or even atheism, but why should we assume a more complicated explanation for life with so many specifics? It just seems so unlikely out of all of the options presented.

Despite the fact that I agree with the intentions of this thread, this is the DEBATING section. This is what is supposed to happen here.

19. AmrasTheArcher

AmrasTheArcher Woodsman and archer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm astaru because I like the idea that the gods are flawed, just like us but in the sagas strive to do good, just like we should. With the added advantage that they appreciate my merrymaking (which happens a lot). Also the ten beliefs are closer to my own moral compass than the christian ten commandments. Its also (normally) a very tollerant religeon, these are my gods, those are your gods or god.

20. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Are you American?