Religions, Beliefs, and Spirtuality

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Alchemist, May 9, 2006.

1. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I did some search and only came up with God, and Christianity threads. I want a thread dealing with all aspects of Religions, Beliefs and Spirituality. I for one am curious about how, and why others believe as they do, and hope that there are more than just a couple of different beliefs in this forum.

So post about your beliefs, give us reasons why you don, and how you see it. Even if someone has the same religion or belief as you, still post it and tell us your verison of it. There are no limitiations.

However there are some strict rules.

1. This is not a thread in which to Preach.

2. Only Friendly tones are allowed.

3. Noone is allowed to insult another's faith/belief.

4. Noone is allowed to dis-prove or try to dis-prove anothers faith/belief.

5. No arguements period.

If any of the above rules are broken or twisted or manipulated I myself will advise a mod to either delete the offenders post or this entire thread if need be. I do not want this to turn into another "My religion is the only true one" thread. This is for those who truly want to learn, this is not for those who want to attack other's beliefs. Only friendly questions that have a point are allowed.

I will post my views later, I have before in another thread, but will re-post it later. So have fun and keep it clean.

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  2. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    My belief is that we are simply part of an evolutionary strand that started hundreds of millions of years ago. I was never told anything about a god or anything like that in my growing up at all. Even though our parents said our family was prodestant.... but we were never blessed or anything like that at birth. So by the age of 6 I had already made up my own conclusions about the way of life. And my brothers and sister came to the same conclusion also. I attended a catholic high school which was rather strict and I proved to be an interesting discussion pointer in RE class. However I did my part, I sang at masses on behalf of my school aswell as other religious ceramonies, however I had no connection to any of them myself.

Through years of learning more about religion, evolution of man, and the elements that brought our very world into existance i felt personally that all this completely complimented what i had already thought.

For me I am completely content with believing in myself. Beleiving that the meaning of life is to reproduce and nothing more.

Im not really sure what else I should say here but if anyone is interested in what else I think or if you have questions I'll happily answer :)

3. DaemoNox

DaemoNox New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am a Satanist - With that said dont start thinking about sacrifices and black rituals and all that you hear about in the news. Sure there are people out there who do that, but they aqre definatly the minority. Most satanists out there dont even believe in Christianities God or satan; it is a name used symbolicly. There are no laws, no rules, no set of beliefs besides you do whats best for you, you believe what you feel true. Its about following your own heart, and staying true to yourself. It is also highly nature based; which is one point where it rubs up against christianity, whose sins are just human natural instincts of survival (one point where satanism gets its name). One of the biggest key points is of respect and retribution; you get what you give and you give what you get. Some of the most sane, grounded people anyone would ever meet are probably satanists due to this; it acknowledges that everyone is an individual, and no one can follow the same set of beliefs, and that all those beliefs need to be respected. If you think about it, just about every war, every bit of turmoil in the world is due to people not respecting others beliefs and cultures, or believing that one is superior to the other. Satanism isnt about a god or a devil, its about yourself and your own path; and where you take yourself in life.

4. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Interesting, isnt that what an atheist is aswell? I always say I am this but what you described is the same as me

5. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    myeah except for the fact that we don't use satan as a symbol I guess

6. DaemoNox

DaemoNox New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Athiesm, paganism, they could all also be labeled as satanism, that is if you wish to label things at all. Whether you believe or not believe in anything at all; its all a matter of what you want to call yourself. Athiesm is not beliving in any gods, and satanism is believing in whatever is right for you, which inculdes not beliving in anything at all.

7. Alchemist

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm. Never thought of it that way DaemoNox. I admit Satanism is one religion/belief that I never researched...for some obvious reasons lol. I do however know someone who was a Satanist, but he was in the minority you spoke of, sacrifices etc.
    In that matter, Satanism must be one of the most Diverse beliefs.

8. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Well I researched it a little and I knew that real Satanism was not just about worshipping the devil. For some reason I thought Satanism was even a better belief than Christianity, altho it's strange that for their belief they use Satan as a symbol, if there is nothing dark selfish or anything bad with their belief while Satan as the Devil stands for evertyhing bad...I don't understand that.

9. Harbringer

Harbringer New Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Exactly.. i hate how people thing that when your Satanist you worship the devil..

10. Dwimmerlaik

Dwimmerlaik Captain of Despair

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    then why do they call it "satanist/satanism" if you worship yourself and not satan?

11. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Well the name is a little decieving :)

12. celtic_wisdom

celtic_wisdom New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You've just stolen my words...

and I guess the name comes from the fact that it is like the oposite of Christianity...althought I've met some satanists and they performed rituals with blood, and spoke to the devil and stuff like that

13. Alchemist

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Like Padme said, the name is decieving. When someone claims to be a Satanist, the first thing that pops in my head is the worship of satan. I now know that its not always that case.

Make sure this doesnt evolve into arguments, it may just me but I see potential for it, if there isnt then consider this a casual re-enstatment of the rules of this thread :)

Dwimmer, Har, Celtic, how about posting your particular beliefs/relgions/faiths?

14. Harbringer

Harbringer New Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Satanism is the religion and worship of the human body and the material world, not always the worship of the devil himself (unless you're of the Luciferian path). Satanism is type casted by the media along with witchcraft and paganism, as something evil... to be hated and feared whereas satanism does not promote violence, animal sacrifice or racial hatred in any manner. Satan keeps the church in business.

"If you have read our books, you know that Satanism isn’t about taking drugs, and it isn’t about harming animals or children. Unlike many religions and philosophies, Satanism respects and exalts life. Children and animals are the purest expressions of that life force, and as such are held sacred and precious in the eyes of the Satanist. Besides, it is very un-Satanic to take any creature’s life against its will. It is equally un-Satanic to cloud your brain and impair your judgment with mind-altering substances."

• Like Like x 1
  15. Harbringer

Harbringer New Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    A widely misunderstood religion started by Anton LeVay.
    The church practices self indulgences and frowns upon altruistic behavior. The Church of Satan in no way acknowledges the existence of any devine being neither good nor evil. They worship no devil, though the phrase "hail satan" is commonly used. However in the church Satan represent the repressed desires of all humans and therefore saying "hail satan" is to hail one's self.
    It is commonly believed that the church of satan is a horrible group of people that should be feared. The CoS should only be feared if one is actually a member of an archaic religion which preaches self restraint and stupid moral systems that are truly outdated. To roughly quote LeVay one of the philosophies is if someone smacks you on the cheek smash him on his and ten times more for he that turns the other cheek is like the cowardly dog that roles over when kicked. Therefore the person above who stated he beat up on satanists at school was more a satanist than the person who laid there and took it while "chanting" the name of an entity that a true satanist would not even believe to truly exist.

Many religions have broken off from satanism including but not limited The temple of Set.

16. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    just for the record, Alchemist...you don't make the rules, the mods do...now if somebody crosses the line of course you can complain. If somebody is rude, but I don't think you can for example ban someone out of this thread just because he or she thinks that his religion is the only true one or something...just an example. You know that occasion that happened with Padmé...I don't think you'll get her out of here by complaining to the mods. Cause by the rules of this forum, she didn't do anything wrong.

17. Alchemist

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Guess I will go ahead state mine.

I am Christian. I believe in God and that Christ is God's Son and was God in flesh when he was on earth. I believe that Christ died for the sins of mankind so that man and God would no longer be seperated. And I believe that through Jesus our sins are forgiven and by accepting Him and following his Word are assured life in Heaven.
    Now, unlike some Christians I am extremely openminded ( not saying all are not, just from what I have observed ). I accept people for who they are, not what they believe. I do not believe it is my place to "convert" others to my Faith. I do not think forcing others to follow Christianity was Jesus' want. He preached love and forgiveness, befriended the sinners and still was able to spread His message.
    I believe that all a Christian really can do is plant a seed, and let it take root on its own.

I do not like it when I see other Christians condemning others for their "sins". Its not up to us to judge so I dont see why some must. I really like the passage in the Bible, "Remove the plank for your eye before attempting to remove the splinter from your brother's." also "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
    The way I see it is that man is never truly without sin, while man can be forgiven we are after all human and are not strong enough to resist all temptations, therefore since no man is without sin, no man can judge another's sin.

I think that just about covers it.

Anakin:
    If arguments occur I can petition the mods to delete the thread, after all each and everythread has a purpose, if this one no longer follows the true purpose then I can see about getting it deleted. If someone cant discuss without arguing, then by all means stay away from this thread. This is a thread to learn about other beliefs not a thread to see who is right.

18. Dwimmerlaik

Dwimmerlaik Captain of Despair

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    sounds cool, but wouldnt you like to worship a all powerfull over your self or the things around you ?

19. Harbringer

Harbringer New Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Its not like its going to change anything..

20. DaemoNox

DaemoNox New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Some people need to look up to others, just as sheep need a shepherd to protect them. To me worshiping something is pointless. I would much rather see a deeply devoted respect rather then rather then worship.

You are your own god and your own devil, the desisions you make will either exalt or destroy you. You can do whatever you want, but the consiquences are yours alone to reap. As in nature is true here, only the strong survive; everyone makes mistakes but not everyone learns from them. Those who learn, those who evolve and grow, are the ones with the best chances of ending up where they need to be, or where they want to be. The only 'power' I would ever acknowledge is nature, those primal forces that control us all, many of which have turned to sin. In the bible god created light, however he did not create darkness, in most creation myths darkness and chaos were there long before any gods created something out of it. That darkness, that chaos is the nature, the energy that pushes everything in its circle; day to night, birth to death, the tides of the oceans, the moon around the earth, the earth around the sun, the sun around the galaxy, and it just keeps on going. As of that everything is connected, the electrons and neutrons of an atom, to the cells of a body doing their own little things, to out in the wild with the whole Lion King circle of life, it is true and it is everywhere, no matter what your beliefs are.