Religion dangerous?

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Cascador, May 31, 2010.

1. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Yeah take suicide bombers for example... Why do they do this... Because they believe if they do this for their God, their country they'll be rewarded with so many virgins in the afterlife. Now that's a great thought. Always think back of Billy Connolly. Not maybe the perfect place to insert a joke but I just have to laugh when he does his impression of a suicide bomber instructor:
    "Right men! I will only show you this once!"

Anyway, you get the picture how their faith influences them to do these things, though these men would already be violent in another way if there was no reward in the afterlife, but at least they would have less motive to do these extreme violent actions. Religion or faith... adds a motif to do either good or evil... Maybe not as black and white as said before, but that's just the case. You see it not only in the event of the 12 year old girl, but in war and other events.

2. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    Really Anakin? You really use that as an example? Seriously, I was already waiting for someone to bring it up. But I wouldn't have thought it would be you.

It -again- has nothing to do with religion. Nowhere in the Quoran does it say "be a suicide bomber and get rewarded in afterlife". Those suicide bombers are the ones that fall for some maniacs words, who uses his power to harm others. Relgion is only the thing that is supposed to give all that a deeper meaning.
    Same thing with the crusades. Nowhere in the bible did it say "go to Jerusalem and slaughter all the ones you might think you're able to slaughter"
    HOWEVER I know that all those books (be it christian, muslim, or jewish) have one passage or another, where it gets rather violent. Remember when those books were written, the world was that violent. It was, after all, humans who wrote those books. They are supposed to give you a set of "laws" according to which you should behave to be most comfortable in society. And those laws are supposed to evolve WITH society, as it evolves. (You can see that nicely when comparing old and new testament)

So it's "the" society that causes the suicide bombers to do that. Not religion.

3. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Yeah again I'm not pointing fingers at religion. But you can see how their faith in their religion pushes these men into this. And you can't deny that there is a lot of violence in the OT especially. I mean the 7 plagues... We're not really talking about an all loving God who forgives and forgets. And I agree times have changed, but in the end you can still find a lot of behaviour similar to what they were like all those 100 years ago. Events occurring now that remind us of even the Crusades. Isn't it what Islam is doing almost like a crusade? Don't look at the methods used, but just look at the death toll.

4. Running Wolf

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    I think I'm moving a bit off topic here- but who care? :D
    Yup, I agree that big parts of the Muslim society may be in a state of crusades- they basically are as "evolved" as christianity was 500 years ago.
    But the Islam is younger than Christianity... My theory is that they are following the same process on their way to getting where "we" are- problem is: the technology is much more evolved and deadly than it was 500 years ago.
    It's just my personal theory, and it of course does not speak of the muslim individuum (same as not every christian was a fan of the crusades)

"But you can see how their faith in their religion pushes these men into this."
    Correct. But it's not religion that forces this kind of belief upon those men. It's other men who turn religion into something violent and preach it.

(we are argumenting on a very small line, I get that. But I fear that if we get more detailed, my English vocab will fail me and I'll not be able to point out the differences anymore... >.> :D)

5. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I'm not gonna read all the replies, but I believe that religion can be dangerous. Why? Because religion is developed by man, and man is dangerous. Mankind will take something good and twist it to something evil for their own purpose.

Too many evil acts have been done in the name of a "God".
    Is everyone who follows a religion evil? no.

6. Ser Land

Ser Land New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I wouldn't call a religion a good thing. Neither a bad thing. Religion is purely a way mankind finds to give answers to what it has no answer to. To what is is afraid of, because it doesn't understand. Religion was born out of necessity. That's why science is the natural opposite of science, its antagonist. Because science seeks to know through observation. It is the proof of mankind's intellectual growth.

7. Alchemist

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    i would say some can be good, mainly because some are started with good intentions...for the record, i'm not a religious person.

8. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    I wouldn't say all religion is dangerous, just as not all philosophies require you to blow up a building to become "perfect". Some religions are, certainly, not the least of which certain extremist cults. I could probably think of hundreds of examples. But on the other hand, not all religion is bad either.

Mother Teresa, for example, was a strong Catholic (despite doubts during her life), and has done so much good she's known worldwide. Many religions teach moral and ethical principles, the which I personally don't dispute: do not kill needlessly (nearly all religions), do not steal (same), honor authority (etc.)... the list goes on.

Now, mind you I am not saying ALL religions are like that, but cut some slack. We might as well be arguing science is dangerous because some scientists experimented on human beings during World War 2. Which would be fallacious, as that refers solely to a single, isolated incident in history, and doesn't take into account the much good science has done us.

My opinion of religion is much the same: although there have been extremes and exceptions, for the most part religion has been a guiding force, teaching people about morality, helping the needy, and holding people together in times of need.

All the above IMHO, in case you didn't notice.

9. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Haha. Ah, yes Anakin.

You always manage to tip your finger on one end of the scale only. Exactly as I know you.

Although suicide bombers clearly have a religious link, I'm not entirely convinced it's not mainly a cultural phenomenon shared in the Arabic world.

Well, that's interesting. These books are are all about a 1000 pages of more. Writen in a language and referring to a time long passed. They're a free-for-all for people who want to read things which best suit them. Which in itself has little to do with religion - and all the more with humans being that way.

Looking at it like that, a Bible is just another stick to beat with.

Well, certainly. But is it more evil then other human figments or contraptions? If it isn't, then religion is not really to blame after all...

EDIT:

When reading this again, I was thinking - religion is like football. I mean, we all (read: a lot of people, but please bare with me) pick a team and support them. Which team this will be depends on a few items: your parent's preference, location, who's performing at the moment you start to take interest. Once chosen, we will stick with it, all reasoning for them in our own little ways. And, in the mean time, we all hate supporters of other teams - some more, some less.

And there are always a few lunatics who won't tolerate other opinions less then others. There's always someone throwing a stone. A brick. There are always some who will draw blood for their colours. Are willing to die for them. Literally.

See, normal human behaviour.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  10. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I apologize for generalizing, .. I was just using Arabic ones as an example. But I wonder with that last comment. Are you implying I'm always generalizing? If so I'd like to hear more examples...

11. Ser Land

Ser Land New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    All religions started with good intentions. But it is the acts, rather than the intentions, what make religions (and all) known for.

12. Ser Land

Ser Land New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    God (Yahweh) as a kind entity is an innovation of christianism. Basically, it is THE INNOVATION of Christianism as opposed to Judaism.

And of course religion is a cultural aspect. You are given your family's religion. And like in football, or politics, you stick with one side, and follow it to bitter end. Often without realizing it. It is rooted so deep, you may live a full life without noticing it. Sociology's biggest motto: "Man is a social animal". Indeed.

13. Running Wolf

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for bringing up this example! :)

Yup. seeing and agreeing.

14. Alchemist

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Tur, that's why I said that it can be dangerous and mentioned that mankind can take anything and twist it to be dangerous.

As you said, there are the lunatics out there, and those are the ones that make it, and others dangerous, yet since the thread was asking about religion I stayed with that topc.