religion and SW

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Cascador, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I think the Sith are based on Satanists, even the codes are very similar, and I think he made the scripts just about when LaVey made his bang.

2. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    No the real Sith are not based on anything religious. Vader was actually based on a samurai and Palpatine was based on a lot of persons in history (Hitler, Nixon etc...) to he has been compared by George Lucas with the devil too. And yeah Maul doesn't have much depth imo, but you can see that his appearance is based on some devil-figure. Dooku was actually based on what exactly his Sith name means. Tyranus or Tyrannos is an ancient Greek word, originally used to describe someone who ruled a city-state after overthrowing the pre-existing government.

3. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    How do you know they're not based on anything religious?Seems resonable, you've got the sith temples, the sith lords who could be like matriarchs, the sith code which is like comandments...

4. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    only problem is Nox is that is like virtually every other religion on the Earth - nothing to stand out from the others in any big way (aside from the force of course ;))
    its even referd to as a religion in the series - EP 4 at the meeting

5. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    This is an expert from LeVay's book, I think you'll agree the similarities are quite numerous:

6. imrhien

imrhien The Lady of the Sorrows

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Anakin = Lucifer, there are a few similarities there.

7. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Now, now, there's no need to insult Lucifer lol

8. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Well George Lucas said that Palpatine represented the Devil, I didn't deny that. But to say that all Sith are based on it, would be wrong. I've read the origins of the Sith and what they are based on and of course you can always compare it with the devil, cause they are meant to be evil. You can compare Sauron a lot of villains with the devil, doesn't mean they are actually based on the devil.

9. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I never said they are all based on the Devil, just that they're similar to the Satanists, which is a religion.Just because Maul has horns dosen't mean he's based on a cow either.

10. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    well why did you bring up all these similarities with Satan then, cause he happens to be the devil you know...

11. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Possible that unintentional basis have been made for the Sith.

12. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    it's impossible, let's say that, but Vader first of all isn't based on it, he was just suppose to be a darker version of a Jedi but still the same cause that had to be the irony of it that the Sith and the Jedi were not that different. And Palpatine in the classic trilogy is mainly based on Nixon and other world leaders, cause the reason he based Palpatine on Nixon is because lots of star wars was based on the vietnam war. He was also based on other dictators such Julius Caesar, Napoleon Bonaparte, Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Ferdinand Marcos and Alberto Fujimori

13. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Those are the 9 sacred statments of the Satanists...you can insert Satanists if you prefer insted of Satan.
    I should have mentioned it's the statments rather then just what the satan is like...my bad.

14. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    So what should we learn from this statement, that it's similar to the Sith Code. I'll just remind you that the Sith code was written by God knows who, but not George Lucas, the orignal creator of the Sith. Surely it sounds cool, but it doesn't mean anything. It was meant to contrast the code of the Jedi, that's all.

15. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Well considering they live by the code I would say it means more then nothing...

And who then wrote the original Sith code?Also don't remind me because I don't know at all, not everyone has read ever book that has a picture of a crybaby here on the cover.

16. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Well first of all, let's take a look, "Peace is a lie, there's only passion."
    Well let me tell you that Palpatine did want peace, he just wanted to be the man in charge of everything. He wanted peace but he was a tyrant nonetheless. I tell you can compare a lot of villains to this, cause they do the same thing as most villains including Palpatine, that's what makes Vader unique and he is known for being one of the greatest movie villains, it's because he's different.

17. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    How is that peace?If you speek your mind or do something he dosen't like he will shove a lightsaber where the sun don't shine, that's not peace.
    Well yes Vader is different, but you are missing my point, I am talking about the Sith as the whole, forget about all the individuals.

18. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    And I'm speaking of the foundation of the Sith, you can't ignore Vader as he was the first known Sith on screen or even in books. And Palpatine of course is one of the most important Sith and similar to many other Sith in further history. And many Sith in EU are displayed in the wrong way, cause they Sith are not suppose to be that different from the Jedi. Good is a point of view and as GL expressed the Sith still think they are good and don't want to do evil. They are just viewed that way, but yeah who can blame them from doing so lol. But after Palpatine got to power he wanted to prevent another war from breaking out by killing the Jedi. He said that if they weren't killed there would be civil war, which eventually did happen because of the rebels. But to say no he wanted total chaos, war, destruction. That would be wrong. He wanted total power and indeed if somebody would stand in his way, he wouldn't hesitate to put a lightsaber through his ass.

19. Nox

Nox Antediluvian

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    So?The same thing can be said about Satanists, they're just looking out for their ass...sure, they're idiots, because by actually being an active Satanist they work ageinst themselves, but still.
    Yes I get what you're saying about Vader, but his whole purpose is to be a black sheep and stand out, he dosen't represent the Sith as such, he's more of an outcast.
    Wasen't the bit where Palpatine attacked the Jedi actually a war?So he started a war to prevent another war?That man is a genius...

20. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    No he started a war to get to power, but a war that would come afterwards would be pointless to him and wouldn't benefit him, so that's why he wanted the Jedi dead, cause their 'rebellion' would have caused civil war as he said in episode III. Again you can compare them to satanists if you want, but so many villains live by the same standards. Power, destruction, ultimate evil and all that crap lol. It's about good and evil, so it's based on evil in general that's it.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008