religion and SW

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Cascador, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Religion and SW...a dangerous subject maybe, I know...but it is unavoidable to say that George Lucas got inspired by religion, and not only by God, but other religions.
    The conception of Anakin for example is something that refers to the birth of Jesus...even the title "the chosen one" refers to Jesus. Although they walk a very different path. There are other references that lead to Jesus...during crucifixion werent there three crosses with Jesus hanging in the middle...while Anakin was hanging in the arena in the middle on a pillar (although there were four, but there were only three persons with Anakin in the middle)
    I like to know what other religious references you see in Star Wars and not just from one religion but others too. You can share if you think it is abbuse of religion cause I have even see on the net that SW is a product of Satan.

2. Darth Qui-gon

Darth Qui-gon Man its good to be back

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I never really though about the the pillars, wow. This is a lot like Jesus, never really thought about it. Just loved to watch the movies, lol

3. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    The pillars might be coincidence tho...and like I said there were four, it just came up to me, that Anakin the chosen one, was hanged in the middle of the three to be hanged on the pillars, like Jesus who was hanged on the cross also between two people. I'd like to mention one thing that yes there are similar aspects in SW as in the Bible and other religions. But they never called Anakin the messiah like they call Neo in the Matrix, which I think is more insulting.

4. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    About the Force:

In Christianity God is central to Christian belief (not only Christian, I'm using it as an expample) and is believed to be the Creator of the heavens and the universe. However, God is not an impersonal energy field but a personal Being. God interacts with the world and has a plan for the world. Although God is separate from the world due to sin (evil) Christians believe God is present within the world through the Holy Spirit who dwells in believers (‘Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit lives you?’ (1 Corinthians 3:16). In Islam Allah is also seen as a personal being in a similar way. However, in Hinduism the Supreme Being Brahman is more like The Force in Star Wars. Although Brahman is sometimes referred to as having personal qualities it is often described using impersonal terms. It is unusual to hear Hindus referring to the will of Brahman as the universe is believed to simply regulate itself (i.e. Brahman does not judge people according to their karma and decide where they will be reborn in the next life. This is believed to be a natural process in the universe.).

The Dark Side of The Force: The Force in the Star Wars saga has both a good and dark (evil) side. This is clearly contrary to most religions who teach that the Supreme Being in the universe (God) is simply good (benevolent) and cannot be swayed to do evil. As far as religions such as Christianity, Judaism and Islam are concerned, evil is something that lies beyond God and is opposed to what God wills.The only exception to this might be found in Hinduism whereby Brahman (God), is believed to be in all aspects the world. This would mean that maya (illusion), that which stops people from realising their true nature, could also be considered a part of God as well. If this is so then it allows the possibility that Brahman has both a good and dark side.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  5. Darth Qui-gon

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, but i believe (i may be mistaken) that there were 4 spaces to set up the crosses, but there were only 3 put to death. not sure on that though

6. volksmenner

volksmenner practitioner of æsthetics

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    interesting observations. i do not think any religous reference is anything to get angry about and i certainly do not think star wars is demonic. george lucas studied many different global architypes as inspiration for his work. everybody does it. i just think it is interesting to discover such things because i sure did not catch the reference.

7. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Well that is what I'm trying to do with this thread...there are others who know more of religion than me...and if they know SW they can discuss what other inspirations came from religion.

8. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Good verses evil: As with all the Star Wars films TESB deals with the theme of good vs. evil. In Christianity this is between God and the devil. In the Gospels Jesus speaks of this as a fight between the Kingdom of God (in heaven) and the Kingdom of the devil (on earth). This same theme is also present in other religions as well. In Islam Ibliss (the devil) tries to deceive people and turn them away from Allah. In Hinduism maya is the illusion that this world is the only true reality. The aim of every Hindu is to overcome ignorance, which causes maya, to recognise one’s divine soul (atman). In doing so they will break free from the continual cycle of rebirth (samsara). In a similar way Luke confronts Darth Vader in Return of the Jedi (ROTJ) and challenges him to remember who he once was:

Luke: I accepted the truth youwere once Anakin Skywalker, my father..

Vader: That name no longer has any meaning for me.

Luke: It is the name of your true self, you’ve only forgotten.

In Buddhism there is the struggle to overcome dukkha. This is understood as suffering which arises in people when they do not realise that everything in the world is changing (i.e. nothing is ‘fixed’ and ‘permanent’). An example of how people might experience dukkha is when the CD player breaks or people begin to get grey hair.

9. Darth Qui-gon

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    man, this is crazy

10. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Another thing I read considering religion and star wars is Order 66 and it did cross my mind before that this could relate to the number 666, the Biblical Mark of the Beast and a sign of the Apocalypse. This goes along with George Lucas' opinion that Palpatine is a representation of Satan, as stated in numerous interviews.

11. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    An interesting thing to know though not that relevant to the subject is that the same actor who played captain Needa also played Jesus Christ in the Life of Brian, a film probably loved by all Christians considering the reaction it got

12. stevenlink1

stevenlink1 Knight of Hyrule

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I know it's a tremendous stretch, but you could make the argument for Matthew 5:30

"And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell."

It works for luke, because he resisted Darth Vader and in the end lost his hand because of it. I don't think it would apply to Annakin though. First of all, I can't see how it would fit, but furthermore, Anakin loses his arm, not just his hand.

13. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    I think it's just down to the matter that Lucas has a thing for delimbing people :S

14. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Hehe that's true actually, Obi-Wan surely takes the first place for that, though Anakin also delimbed a lot I guess in the Jedi Temple, but you don't see much of that.

15. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Anakin got it done to him multiple times, from what I remember he got delimbed by Dooku, Obi-Wan and later again before he threw the Emperor down that thing.

Dooku, Mace Windu, Luke they all been delimbed (especially the hands it seems).

16. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    What I mean is that he delimbed (its not even a real word lol) a lot of people himself. Obi-Wan had some delimbed a few times too, (Anakin, Zam Wessel, the guy in the cantina)

17. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    I think when you play with sharp swords cuts are definatly going to happen
    When you start playing swords with laser swords bits are going to get cut off without fail - I mean a lightsaber just does not have a "weak cut him" setting ;)

18. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Lol ofc it's not a real word, but atm I cannot think of a word like decapitation that refers to other parts of the body since decapitation is for the head.

Yea see, Lucas has a thing for cutting off limbs. Subconcious fetish? lol

19. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    well at least its limbs - maybe he is not very dextrus and blames this on his limbs -

20. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Either that or it's highly intelligent of the Jedi/Sith to take away the ability of the other to wield a lightsaber/weapon, since they are thinking ahead...