Recommend some authors

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Miliana, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Rosemary

Rosemary Sword Maiden

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Christopher Paolini's 'Eldest' was also a good read. He has certainly improved his writing skills since Eragon was published.

Another two Australia authors whose books I have enjoyed are -

Jennifer Fallon - The Demon Child Trilogy

Tony Sillitoe - The Ashuak Chronicles (another must for Dragon fans)

2. Vaniel

Vaniel "That Man"

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Anything from Anne Rice should be good, especially "The vampire chronicles"

3. DolorousBob

DolorousBob New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A lot of the reviews I've read have said that Eldest was even worse.

4. Spiritdragon

Spiritdragon New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Garth Nix
    A.A.Attanasio
    Stephen Lawhead
    Stephen Donaldson
    Terry Brooks
    David Gemmel!!

5. Falagar

Falagar Death

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    George R.R. Martin - Got to second, third or whatever everyone on this guy.

Steven Erikson and R. Scott Bakker - Great authors, epic (and realistic) fantasy at its best, only beaten by Martin (IMO) in their genre. Erikson's series is called Tales from the Malazan Book of the Fallen, Bakker's Prince of Nothing.

Robin Hobb - Love her Farseer-triology

Guy Gavriel Kay's The Lions of Al-Rassan - Wonderful book, set in an (imagined) area modelled after medival Spain. Nicely written, likable characters and a great ending.

Neil Gaiman - Both his novels (American Gods, Neverwhere) and graphic novels Sandman-series) are fantastic reads.

Other authors are the standard Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams, and Raymon E. Feist for some lighter reads. Umberto Eco (especially Foucault's Pendulum and The Name of the Rose), though not fantasy, is a must.

6. Galad

Galad Lord of The Light.

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    David eddings-the mallorean book 1 guardians of the west.
    Trudi Cavanan- Priestess of the wite.

7. imrhien

imrhien The Lady of the Sorrows

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Both Eragon and Eldest are not the best written books you will read, although I enjoyed them. Considering Paolini’s age and experience he did a very good job.

8. Blackwing

Blackwing New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Steven Brust - Vlad Taltos series, starting with Jherek or the Book of Jherek.
    Ursula LeGuin - The Earthsea books.
    Neil Gaiman - Sandman graphic novels.
    Michael Moorcock - the Eternal Champion saga, which is dozens of books long although the quality varies.

If you need some more, here is a link to the Fantasy Masterworks series which reprints classic fantasybooks and series:
    http://www.sfsite.com/lists/orion05.htm

They also have a similar, and longer, list of science fiction books.

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I recommend Ericvan Lustbader's books and Stephen Lawhead's books

10. pigfish

pigfish Superstar DJ!!!

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Terry Pratchett, Stephen Donaldson, Brian Lumley, Piers Anthony

11. Rosemary

Rosemary Sword Maiden

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Another brilliant Australian author is Ian Irvine.

The Three Worlds Series
    * The View From The Mirror Quartet
    o A Shadow on the Glass
    o The Tower on the Rift
    o Dark is the Moon
    o The Way Between the Worlds

* The Well of Echoes Quartet
    o Geomancer
    o Tetrarch
    o Alchymist (or Scrutator)
    o Chimaera

For me, brilliant reading & ones to be re-read...

12. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Murder, rape, incest, lying, stealing, love, heartbreak, loyalty, devotion...so many emotions, twists and turns in the plot, so many characters created in extraordinary depth with a world full of history and culture. You're right. I have no idea why anyone would like these books.

Ok, ok...everyone is entitled to their opinion. But you're the first person I've ever met who had read these books and didn't like them. Was it the lack of 'magic' or what? I'm just curious.

13. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Wow. I honestly have no idea how to respond to that. GRRM is my favorite author, and he hooked me immediately. IMO, he's the greatest epic writer in the field. And it's not all just fantasy, either. It's a thought-provoking series, examining his flawed characters and debating on whether people are justified, etc. It seems more like a retelling of history more than anything else. And unlike other authors, GRRM in no way relies on magic, but rather on his own spectacular writing skills to bring a series to life. The political intrigue is just as gripping as any "working of magic" as the great houses in the land of Westeros begin their struggle over the crown.

I've read about half of these authors, and I can definitely recommend them. :)

14. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Ditto. You forgot politics, though - it's the most important part. :p

15. Knight of Flowers

Knight of Flowers New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    J R R Tolkien - The Simirillion
    George R R Martin - A Song Of Ice And Fire Series
    J.V Jones - Sword Of Shadows series
    Dan Simmons - Hyperion

Also I really Strongly recommend Emily Bronte - Wuthering Heights, Its not really a fantasy book but The Charactors and plot are amazing.

16. Blackwing

Blackwing New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well, I'm the second one, then. I've read the first book years ago and have no intention of reading any further.

My reasons:
    Huge amounts of POV characters. I couldn't remember half of them while reading the book and don't much see what is their point since most of them didn't have much to do with the plot, anyway.
    A generic medivael European world. Ho, hum. It's been done to death and I want something new and different.
    Characters that are neither likable nor memorable. Related to the first point since IIRC the chapters were quite short and I didn't get much of a handle of one characters when the next was already introduced.
    A girl who falls in love with the man who rapes her repeatedly. Er. Um. If that's how Martin really thinks that women are like, I'd be scared to be in the same room with him. This really made me decide that I don't want to have anything to with this writer ever again.

He could have easily trimmed the cast and the whole book to at least to half their size and the plot wouldn't have suffered and might even have moved somewhere.

17. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Maybe you should try rereading it again? I agree with you that there are a lot of POVs and lots of characters. The first time I tried to read it I got about halfway through the prologue, decided it was too droll and forgot about the book for 8 or 9 months.
    The world is medieval, yes. But no European. It's an entire world. If you had read further you would have been introduced to a wide array of other "countries" or continents, all of which boast their own unique culture.
    "A girl who falls in love with the man who rapes her repeatedly"? That's hardly the case. She might have been frightened on her wedding night, but what virgin isn't afraid for the first time? If that's the way you percieved Martin's writing I can understand the misconceptions you must have gotten from the rest of it.

Anyway, I don't mean to preach. I know this isn't a "defend your favorite authors" thread. I was just curious where someone might not like Martin's writing, as it has completely and utterly changed the standards I have for fiction writing. I want to encourage you, Blackwing, and WizardofOwls, to pick it up just one more time. If you'd like, I know a number of guild members who would be willing to reread with you and discuss. Some of the politics and prophecies are amazing to unravel.

18. Blackwing

Blackwing New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    No. If a book fails to catch my interest in a 500 pages, I fail to see why I should waste my time on it.

The map in the first book is a slightly altered map of Britain. 1000+ pages is waaaay too long for a mere introduction.

If your sex partner is afraid, your doing something seriously wrong! (that's a general you)

Actually, IIRC, their first night was just fine. It's the times afterwards that clearly showed him to be a rapist. He repeatedly hurt her during sex and forced her to have sex in a manner that she didn't like.

I call a man who forces a woman (or another man for that matter) to do sexual things against her will a rapist. So does the law. That the male was a grown man and the female barely in her teens just makes it worse. That's not the kind of world I care to read about.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  19. Falagar

Falagar Death

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I too know this isn't a "defend your favorite author"-thread, but...
    Agreed.

The maps in the first book show a continent the size of America (and looks much more like it as well), the northern part got a very norse culture, while the southern is more like...a strange version of arabic culture.

I suspect most virgins are a bit afraid their first time, though the one you're talking about was extreme, true.

Well, that's the kind of world you're living in, the kind of world all humans have been living in since the dawn of humanity. Whenever you read a novel set on contemporary Earth it'll give you a small glimpse into a world where such things happen all the time. Not that it makes it much more fun to read about, but at least it's much more realistic than all those books pretending the world is all bees, honey, red roses and no stings or thorns.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  20. Blackwing

Blackwing New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hm. I guess I mixed Martin's map with someone else's. Maps are not a big deal for me.

Exactly why I don't care for it in fantasy.

Look, I'm not preaching for you guys to read all of my favourite authors. Why do you preach Martin?