Recommend heroic fantasy books inspiring me to become a glorious hero! :-)

Discussion in 'General Books' started by white-k, Feb 21, 2014.

1. white-k

white-k New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm looking for fantasy-books which inspires me to bring out the best in me, conquer my fears, making my ideals higher and loftier and inspires me to become a glorious larger than life hero! ;D

I haven't read much fantasy, so I don't need the books to be that new or "uncommon".
    They can very well be the "farmboy against evil villain" -stories, or anything else, matching my description above. :)

Any recommendations?

2. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    There's the Lord of the Rings of course ;) Amazing work, very heroic, make sure to focus on Sam :)

The series of the Belgariad may be a good start, as it literally is “farmboy against evil villain” (with a very good reason though), so there's quite a bit of character development and all that.
    It's a 5 book series, starting with “Pawn of Prophecy” and followed by another series; the Mallorean.

3. white-k

white-k New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the reply Druid! I will look into Belgariad.

I'll refine a bit what types of heroes I find inspiring, to get you an idea:
    Looking for heroes with similar qualities as Beowulf in the animated movie - Swam for 3 days in a contest and meanwhile killed some sea-monsters just for the heck of it. Thor (in the first Marvel movie). William Wallace (Braveheart). Hercules. Conan the barbarian (to some extent).

I've read Lord of the rings, but thought they were such a drag to get through so I had to force myself to complete them.
    Read robin Hobb's Assassins apprentice which are amazing, but I'm looking more for "larger than life", kick-ass heroes (or some book character becoming one), who can accomplish monolithic great deeds before even having breakfast. :) Well I'm exaggerating a bit just to get my point across ;-)

Please keep suggestions coming. :) I will research them all!

4. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Read Beowulf then, it's really heroic, as is Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (although it's a little weird at times).

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    I'd recommend you check out RA Salvatore's character Drizzt Do' Urden. I think "Homeland" is the beginning of Drizzt's story.

6. white-k

white-k New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Many thanks to you guys!
    I have looked up all your suggestions and taken notes about them all.

My own research has led me to put David Gemmell's 'Legend' on top of my list, and it seems very promising from what I've read about it this far.
    But I've also added your contributions to my list.

Thanks again fellows! :)
    If you want to chime in with more tips you're always welcome to do so!