Really?

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Bones, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Bones

Bones New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I really disliked the whole star wars movies...There was a half way decent looking chick on them, but other than that it was all a big snore for me.

2. lewy

lewy Lewy the lethal lunatic!

In the darkest valleys of death and despair...
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Well, there are people who agree with you.
    I don't, but I accept your meanings.
    What I don't understand is why you bother to make an own thread here just to tell us that you dislike them, and to give us an expression that you care for nothing but 'chicks', as you choose to call them....

3. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    myeah lewy, but you have these types of guy who like to create hundreds of useless threads so they can get attention...Bones is one of them...I've seen him create a lot of threads...not that they are all useless, but it does stand out that he is eager to create them.

4. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Bones, go back to the Trekkie Universe where you belong.

Besides....the best Star Wars stories are in the EU (sshhhh, dont tell padme)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  5. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    You spell it 'Padmé'...or is it some keyboard problem? btw the EU stories are not better;)

6. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I completely understand that you wouldnt say otherwise :)

7. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Hey I'm not saying they are bad...I'm just saying they are not better...

8. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    I don't like the EU in almost any way, especially the stuff set after Return of the Jedi, it's so bad it makes me cringe lol

9. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    And I am certainly not saying the non eu material is bad. But from my point of view, Star Wars is about 100 books (the del rey releases), of which, episodes 1-6 comprise 6 of those.

Eu = 94+ Books
    Non Eu = 6

So for me, the 6 films and stories Lucas was directly part of is but a tiny fraction of the overall story. So when I say the EU is better, what im really saying is the vast majority of the story happens there, not in episodes 1-6.

10. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Just out of curiosity, what EU material have you read completely cover to cover?

11. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Well she knows most information of EU from books such as the visual guides, the internet etc... and she also read a lot of comics...but she knows enough of the movies (as do I..I think) for what really happens after the movies cause to her and yeah mostly to me that is what happened...The story in EU are often science fiction story while the story of star wars is meant to be a fantasy story. EU doesn't explore mythology not as deep as the movies do which makes it less interesting...well I could go on why EU is not as good as the story of the movies...but why bother...nobody is gonna get swayed from their opinion, right? lol

12. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I dont think its so much about trying to change your opinion as it is to find out what your opinion is based on. If you have actually read some of the better EU material, Thrawn, X-wing, ect, and say it doesnt do it for you, than at least their is a informed basis for the opinion. But sometimes, people chime in and make opinions who have little to no actual experience with the material they are down playing. Im pretty convinced you, Anakin, have read enough EU to know what your talking about. So mainly with you, I just like sparring a bit about different aspects of the material.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Well it still is interesting, but yeah take the thrawn trilogy for example...I was a bit fed up with clones so Luuke was a big mistake in it...(that is because I read dark empire before thrawn). So it lacked originality though the thrawn trilogy was made before dark empire I know...but still...anyway Mara Jade could have been developped better though she stays an interesting character, but you know how I feel about things being canon and such...I'm very fussy about it, so what Lucas had planned after ROTJ contradicts with the thrawn trilogy which was another downside. Like I said before...I enjoy EU...But I do not see it as 'it actually happened'

14. Sorillon

Sorillon Thousandth Post Thief

Ratings:
    +140 / 1 / -0
    The way I see it, until Lucas comes out with material that occurs after Return of the Jedi himself, the EU IS the way it happened, as with all C-canon material that doesn't end up contradicting what he creates himself.

15. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Well the fact that it's not published what happens after ROTJ, doesn't mean it doesn't count at all (actually it is published in his biography) so I keep myself to that...that's G-Canon to me. So those ideas like Luke being the Obi-Wan figure contradicts with the Luke in EU, so to me it's not C-Canon...

16. Sorillon

Sorillon Thousandth Post Thief

Ratings:
    +140 / 1 / -0
    I don't really know about what he may be planning or has written about that period. If it exists then it is canon.

17. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    source: wikipedia

Based on early statements from Lucasfilm, this set of films would have taken place from approximately 40 years after the events depicted in Return of the Jedi[citation needed]. A detailed fan timeline has suggested narrowing this further to 39 years after the original trilogy, though this remains conjectural. The series would have been Episodes VII, VIII, and IX.

This sequel trilogy was to feature Luke Skywalker as a Jedi Master in his sixties, passing the torch to the next generation of Jedi, the rebuilding of the Galactic Republic and the reestablishment of the Jedi Order[citation needed]. According to a 1983 Time article, its main theme was "the necessity for moral choices and the wisdom needed to distinguish right from wrong". Based on statements at the time from Lucas, a major villain in the sequel trilogy would have been a figure previously frozen from Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith[citation needed].

In the book Icons: Intimate Portraits by Denise Worrell, Lucas is reported to have only a vague notion of what will happen in the three films of a sequel trilogy. He is quoted as saying "If the first trilogy is social and political and talks about how society evolves, Star Wars is more about personal growth and self realization, and the third deals with moral and philosophical problems. The sequel is about Jedi Knighthood, justice, confrontation, and passing on what you have learned."

Gary Kurtz, the producer of A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, recalls that the outline for a sequel trilogy was "very vague", outlining Skywalker's journey to becoming the premiere Jedi Knight in the Obi-Wan Kenobi mold, and his ultimate confrontation with Emperor Palpatine. According to Kurtz, early plans for this trilogy would have included the introduction of Luke's sister (who was not slated to be Princess Leia), and the first appearance of the Emperor, elements that were incorporated into Return of the Jedi once Kurtz and Lucas parted ways after The Empire Strikes Back[citation needed].

In a 2004 interview, Mark Hamill said: "You know, when I first did this, it was four trilogies. 12 movies! And out on the desert, any time between setups… lots of free time. And George was talking about this whole thing. I said, ‘Why are you starting with IV, V and VI? It’s crazy.’ [Imitating Lucas grumble,] ‘It’s the most commercial section of the movie.’ He said the first trilogy’s darker, more serious. And the impression I got, he said, ‘Um, how’d you like to be in Episode IX?’ This is 1976. ‘When is that going to be?’ ‘2011.’ I defy anyone to add 36 years to their lives and not be stunned. Even an eight year old is like, ‘No, I’ll never be 47.’ So I did the math and figured out how old I’d be. I said, ‘Well, what do you want me to do?’ He said, ‘You’ll just be like a cameo. You’ll be like Obi-Wan handing the lightsaber down to the next new hope." Lucas dismissed the comment as "off-hand".

18. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The real question is: If he were to do episodes 7-9, would he adhere to his original idea of them? Or would he have it more of a continuation of where the del rey books are currently?

In the latter EU, I think Luke is very much trying to find "the necessity for moral choices and the wisdom needed to distinguish right from wrong". He has been in a dilemma on this throughout the EU. He feels like his own training was never quite complete, and so struggles with what moral character and definition to pass down his fellow new jedi order. I dont see a big chasm between Lucas's original thoughts, and where Luke stands in the latest printed material. Luke is in a good position to pass the torch at this point in the story(EU). Problem is, and their always is, just the right person isnt waiting. Jacen is probably the most knowledgeable jedi, but has his own moral issues at work. Jaina? not a great leader and always in Jacens shadow. Ben? Too young. Not fully trained. And I cant imagine it going to anyone without Skywalker blood in them.

btw...good info Anakin.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  19. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Well there is a lot more detail than that, I just gave you some little info of what I found on wiki...and yeah some ideas do come together in GL's idea and EU, but some contradict and even if it's the smallest one that is enough for me at least to say 'no that's not what happened'...for example Leia would not become a Jedi...She would be the one to build up the new republic. She would never name her child Anakin (GL commented on this, he allowed it, but thought it to be unoriginal) Luke would never marry as the Obi-Wan figure so a character as Mara Jade is out of the question...just a few contradictions...

20. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Believe it or not, we are in basic agreement. I assumed their was more info than what you posted, and also expected that the EU has deviated in some areas from his original conceptions.

But I still ask, If GL was to do episodes 7-9, and were to do them to fit the deviations he has allowed in the EU, then would you accept them as "this is the way it happened"?