Raymond E. Feist

Discussion in 'General Books' started by The_Khan, Dec 29, 2003.

1. lizzieagentleviewer

lizzieagentleviewer aussie buffy girl

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    pawn of prophecy (david eddings) and magician were my first steps to the fan of fantasy i am today!!!

my life without pug is meaningless!!!!i cant beleive feist was in aussieland and i didnt know.....im so disapointed.

2. GOLLUMM

GOLLUMM New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Dont' worry mate, don't think he made it to the Pineapple State and was only in Melbourne for a brief stay.

You check out my recommended fantasy book list yet as per my earlier post above?

Better luck next time pardner..

Actually my first foray in fantasy books back in the late '70's EEKK! with Robert Silverbergg's Lord Valentines Castle. Now part of the great Majipoor series I have in my top list. Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea books was another.

Ciao for now!!
    :faceit:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  3. Operc Etcagatal

Operc Etcagatal Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Like a couple of other users did I too start reading fantaasy because of Feist, well more because the LoTR books, but that was my first real fantasy serie, I have all the 5 books that tell the tale that starts with magician, and this week I bought the Krondor Trilogy, but I have like 10 books to read now so...
    But I have to say Feist is brilliant!

4. lizzieagentleviewer

lizzieagentleviewer aussie buffy girl

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    not to be blasphemous...hehehehe....i couldnt get into the riftwar and stuff, it was just soooo war -ee. i prefer the story and romance and stuff, wars and strategy and stuff.....but, i love all the other stuff......hes so totally awesome. i still cant beleive he was in aussieland and i missed him.....

5. Senekha

Senekha <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    I quite enjoy Feist's books, and I've collected a number of his over the past couple years.

I prefer books with elaborate wars and fights scenes, but some of my favorites of Feist's were the books featuring Roo. i also really liked TotF, which had some nice sword fights :)

6. Kellarly

Kellarly Snow Merchant

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I didn't enjoy the Serpent War Saga as much as the Rift War one, not to say that they were bad, they were good, but the Riftwar Saga....it just left me with a much bigger sense of grandeur than the Serpent War. But then again...thats just me :D

7. Slugbaby

Slugbaby New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The magician was the book that like many of you got me into reading more fantasy. Before then I would only read stories based on fact or factual events.

Some of the spin off stand alone novel are good (tales from the riftwar)

Jimmy the hand etc.. (Now there's a character)

8. GOLLUMM

GOLLUMM New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yep Jimmy The Hand rocks!! :balrog:

9. Miliana

Miliana New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah i loved the series, my cousin reccomended the magician to me, and since i had nothing better to do coz jus finished the wheel of time series i thought i might aswell, and i loved it, so of course had to read the rest, ive read everything hes written and ive got to say he is an amazing writer, i especially love the empire series, absolutely breath taking. Basically i just love his work although i dont think his new books have quite the same effect as the riftwar saga had, or the serpent war.
    The legends of the rift war books were pretty good to, enjoyable to read.

10. Senekha

Senekha <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    I just bought "King of Foxes", which was a worthy sequel to TofSH.

I agree that the Riftwar Saga was better, and I didn't much like the first book of the Serpentwar, but I loved the following ones of the Serpentwar - mostly because I liked the char of Roo. But yes, I must agree the the Riftwar is some of his finest works.

11. Winterine

Winterine Ranger-Bard

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Personally, I loved the Serpentwar Saga almost least because of Roo. I love it mostly for Calis and Tomas and Bobby and Nakor :D

12. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Yeah Roo didn't float my boat either. Calis, Tomas and Erik were the coolest. And ofcourse, Nakor "Want an orange ?"

13. Winterine

Winterine Ranger-Bard

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    :D

"It's a trick."

14. Klay

Klay New Member

I live within the confines of my overactive imagin
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The tsurani books are excellent. Easily Fiest's most thought provoking and enrapturing tales are the three tsurani books, daughter,servant, mistress, etc. Although politics have a large role to play in these works fiest also draws on numerous other aspects, like the culture's of the fabled cho ja and the tsurani themselves. The religion's that exist within their communities, and their thoughts on the riftwar itself.
    If your a fan of fiest (or even janny wurts) these books are not to be missed.
    Highly recomended.

15. Klay

Klay New Member

I live within the confines of my overactive imagin
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Fiest's work is indeed grand and he deserves the respect he is attaining in this thread, however- there's always a 'however' stuck in there with me- his recent efforts with the conclave of shadow books are miserable. It's like he's after becoming lazy.
    His new lead character, Talwin Hawkins, is an extremely one dimensional character, stereotyped millions of times already. I for one was not all that interested to learn of the life of a womanizing orphan with a personal vendetta from a new and distant land. It was a tiresome read through 'talon of the silver hawk' despite it being a short book by Fiest's standards.
    Hoping against hopes that fiest would abandon this horribly uninteresting new saga, conclave of shadows, i remained hopeful when he released 'King of foxes'. Albeit the fact that the title of the book has nothing to do with the story, it still sounded interesting. However this next effort was another disater in my view, again Talwin is seen roaming through the pages marring it with his crumbly dialogue and wafer thin plot.
    It is only in 'Exiles Return' which i bought, because i'm a fan of fiest's earlier works, that i found my interest begining to muster once again. The plot involving the armour was facinating and the character of Kasper kept me reading. It takes the unusual view of having a 'bad guy' so to speak, as the main character. Anywho, this book once again became a shoddy underachiever of fiest for its spectacularly poor ending. I wont discuss this part further incase some of you havent read this ridiculous excuse of a book. Or the entire conclave series for that matter.

Anyone care to challenge my views? I would encouage anyone who's opinion's differ to those of mine to speak now or be forever silent.

16. The Master™

The Master™ New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Have loved everything that Feist did... I read the first incarnation of Magician... Didn't bother with subsequent versions...

Faery Tale is also a very good book...

I was involved in some posts about Feist on another site, and this is the post about his existing books and proposed ones:

http://www.chronicles-network.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4491

17. The Empress

The Empress Solitude and Strength...

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    Wow, honestly, I really love all of Fiest's work! There has been nothing that has disappionted me yet! I just finished, "Tear of the Gods." I will say that was a hard book for me to get through because of the black necromancy and the despicible usage of children and babies in this one. I will say that The Empire series was truly amazing and very brilliant! What a wonderful concept to help us understand Kelewan! Oh, I also love Jimmy The Hand, but I am really liking the character Jazhara that he intoduced in this last book that I read! I am about to start, "Prince of the Blood," and I can hardly wait!

Just a sidenote...I have gotten 2 people at my work hooked on Fiest, one of them being my manager!!!

18. Spiritdragon

Spiritdragon New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The Full Version of Magician is an absolute must! It has hundreds of extra pages!!!!

Really fills out the tale

Spiritdragon

19. The Empress

The Empress Solitude and Strength...

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    SD, would that be the Authors Preferred edition? That was the only one I read and I LOVED it!

This is an AWESOME site if you really like Feist! He tells the story of how Midkemia came to be and it made me love the books even more! He is truly brilliant beyond all doubt!

www.raymondfeistbooks.com

20. Legend

Legend Made in NZ

Land of the Long White Cloud/Aotearoa/New Zealand
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone read the newest book of Feist's yet? its called Flight of the Night Hawks. The Darkwar trilogy carries on from the Conclave of Shadows trilogy, I'm awaiting it's arrival.