Rants, Raves, "God" & Overall thoughts on life

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Boomer, Sep 9, 2003.

1. darkdragon

darkdragon The Black Prince

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Boomerang : I do understand what you are saying. Believe me I too have struggled in my life with religon and have heard as it was said earlier that the bible is real and science has proven it. First the bible was written by man and we all know that man makes mistakes. Second scientists are part of the problem. Lets face it , if it were proven to be otherwise, this country, infact the whole world would be in a state of panic. To disprove ones beliefs would be the undoing of this society as we know it. Love is indeed the strongest of the emotions. But Hate runs a close second. Let me tell everyone that it takes alot of courage for anyone to explain what Boomerang has and he should be commended for it, rather than put down by anyone. Not that anyone has put him down to this point. I used to believe in the same god that others claim exists, but I would have to agree with Boomerang, that he has never shown me any kindness in my life either. I have seen many things in my life as well and experienced many hardships that may otherwise deter others, but has only made me stronger. I grew up in a Christian family and I too was considering joining the siminary. But due to the fact that my eyes opened from all the things that have happened in my life, it is safe to say that never happened. So, I will not tell anyone to have a nice day, have any kind of day that you wish. Nor will I venture to think that you care about what I am writting, Just voicing my point of view. Remember this is only my opinion and not ment to offend anyone. I have found another option that seems right for me right now and if you are interested you can PM me. Talking about it on this forum seems pointless, but I am willing to discuss it with whomever might be interested.. Thanks for reading....:) :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2003
  2. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Thats why we are discussing things here. Do tell.

3. Eàmanë

Eàmanë formally Nevaeh

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I struggle with religion every day. I always say "oh yeah, i'm a christian, yay for me"...but inside I'm always struggling with it. Right now I don't think I can be one. I need to find out things about myself before I conform myself to the religion. I know that sounds weird, but it's just how I feel at this time.
    I always feel, in a way, left out of life. I don't mean missing out on things. It's like life has left me behind, and betrayed me, and forgotten me. I always feel forgotten and insignificant. Like everyone looks down at me, and that I somehow manage to disappoint people, which I hate to do. I always go through on things because I'm afraid that if I don't, people will be disappointed in me, and I don't want that.
    But I don't want people ever feeling sorry for me. I always whine and moan about my life, but I don't want people feeling sorry for me.
    I'm so weird and unusual. Bleh.

4. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know how you feel. Before I went to college, I knew myself but not very well. I did most things not just because I wanted to but because other people wanted me to. I was not completely happy and I felt unreliable and so on and so forth. I'm a freshman now and I spent about a month in the beginning just being myself, doing what I wanted to do, believing what I want to believe. The people I met are truly amazing people who I feel so comfortable with saying whatever is on my mind no matter what it is, ridiculous or not. The next step I have taken is discovering how I feel about my religion. It will take some time, it usually does. But I know, with the support around me, I will figure what I believe and want to do with my beliefs when I get there.

So my message to you is, hang in there and don't rush. Things aren't meant to happen quickly. Its all about small steps and you will figure things out for yourself. And btw, I'm sure you don't disappoint people! You are probably a wonderful person! :)

5. mithrandir

mithrandir Gentleman Scholar

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Some might say that this feeling is the essence of what it means to be a Christian - recognizing that you cannot do it on your own. It also just means you're normal. Hang in there with the hard questions and struggles. Be honest with yourself and, if you are inclined to pray, be honest with God too.

6. Eàmanë

Eàmanë formally Nevaeh

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    And that's the thing. I always feel awful, because I love to be AT church, and participate, but I hate praying. Well, I don't mean that like it sounds. I pray, but I hate to pray out loud, like talking. And I hate it when you are at church and the pastor or whoever prays the prayer, and everyone bows their heads....I don't want people praying for me. I pray my own prayers. Others don't know what I need to pray for, and such.

7. mithrandir

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Lots of folks don't like praying out loud. I'd count myself in that group too. As I recall, there aren't any rules in the Bible that say you must pray in a certain way - other than the basic encouragement that we SHOULD pray. Remember too that we have been created as individuals. Joe may be Mr. Prayer, while Sally might be the greatest evangelist since Billy Graham. I'd encourage you to not get down on yourself because you don't see yourself fitting into one particular mold. Be yourself and rejoice in the way you've been put together. :)

8. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Exactly... and I mean the prayers that the pastors give at church are general, they are the church's prayers. Not necessarily your own.

9. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Truly. You do not need to goto Church to pray to your God or whoever you pray to. Dragonfly I am glad you have found yourself and it shows in our conversations to one another and it showed when I was with you when you came home. You were like a new person and I loved that. :) :banana:

10. Eàmanë

Eàmanë formally Nevaeh

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yeah. It's not that I feel obligated to go to church. I love going. But unfortunatly, I don't go for any sermons, or any bible teachings. I go because of the atmosphere. Everyone there is so loving and accepting, that I feel truly welcome, even though I'm not a fan of what church is supposed to be for: helping people come through christ through them. I don't know, it's hard for me to explain, mainly because this is the first time i feel I've been able to express these feelings.

11. doleniel

doleniel Elven High Priestess

surrounded by idiots with no hope of escape
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Hmm. . .have you ever done any research on alternative religions? If what you really like about church is the comradery, then maybe there is another religion out there that gives you that feeling, and is more spiritually satisfying as well.

12. mithrandir

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Odd as this may sound (coming from a Christian) I don't believe the chief aim of the church is to win converts. It's purpose is to honor God and to love people by serving them. Yes, yes, I know the Bible says that we are to share our faith with those who do not believe. But it also teaches that the best way to do that is not by beating people over the head with a 10 pound sack of guilt and accusation, but by loving them and serving them. Sounds like from your description that this church is doing that.

13. stoogie

stoogie New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In another religion thread, I posted some books that have answers to a bunch of questions non-believers/skeptics might have. I encourage all of you to find and read "The Case for Faith" by Lee Strobel. He is an athiest turned christian due to his research for the DISPROOF of Jesus Christ. He just couldn't find anything to disproove him. But in this particular book, he takes I think eight common objections, and interviews different philosophers and theologians on their views.

One of the questions goes along the lines of "If there is a god, how come there is so much suffering in the world?" The man he interviews goes into some detail on it, but one quote pretty much hit it on the head. The short of it basically says that the difference between us and God is much bigger than a difference between us and a bear. He goes on to say "Okay, then, imagine a bear in a trap and a hunter who, out of sympatyh, wants to liberate him. He tries to win the bear's confidence, but he can't do it, so he has to shoot the bear full of drugs. The bear, however, thinks this is an attack and that the hunter is trying to kill him. He doesn't realize that this is being done out of compassion. Then, in order to get the bear out of the trap, the hunter has to push him further into the trap to release the tension on the spring. If the bear was semiconscious at that point, he would be even more convince that the hunter was his enemy who was out to cause him suffering and pain. But the bear would be wrong. He reaches this incorrect conclusion because he's not a human being."

That is just a sample of this book. The interview goes much deeper than that, and each chapter is focused on answering that one common question. The eight objections that are answered are:
    Since evil and cuffering exist, a loving god cannot
    Since miracles contradict science, they cannot be true
    Evolution explains life, so God isn't needed
    God isn't worthy of worship if He kills innocent children
    It's offensive to claim Jesus is the only way to God
    A loving God would never torture people in Hell
    Church history is littered with oppression and violence
    I still have doubts, so I can't be a Christian

I still have more to read, so I can't offer insight on the rest of the book, but I believe everyone who has had doubts should read this book.

14. HaldirofLorien

HaldirofLorien Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    If we're talking life after death and God then my thoughts of this - As for God - i really honestly dont no , life after death my thoughts are simple - THER JUST HAS TO BE.

15. HaldirofLorien

HaldirofLorien Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Buddhists seem to have a good view on life

16. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Dude, this is crazy. If anyone is still reading this. I would have to say that I have learned more about life, and how to embrace it, from people who do not believe in God (Boomerang) than from those who are so intensley involved in the bible and church. I think Boom's first post has impacted me and shown me so much more than 16 years of catholic religion has. I have learned much more about spirituality from a non-believer in God than I have learned from others that heavily preach catholicism. Go figure.

Last edited: May 29, 2004