Rants, Raves, "God" & Overall thoughts on life

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Boomer, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    What I am saying is the bible was first passed down tradition, stories, myths and then it was written. So how can it be totally 100% true? You know? And go by beliefs? Answer me this. If the bible had not been stuffed down your throat during sunday school or by the priests would you still believe in it? Why? Because it is the book that commands your religion? How can a book command a religion when it cannot be totally and 100% truthful?

2. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    anyone ever see the movie Dogma? Great movie that questions religion...its also hilarious :D

3. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    It is a funny movie. Kind of off topic but that's ok.

4. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Khamul,

I found your epic length post to be both thought provoking and frustrating. It really was quite interesting to have all of the bibles' differences, albeit minute ones, displayed in such a fashion that addresses the issue of interpretation. However, to me, the subject of interpretation is not so much in the translation of the text from Hebrew/Greek to English, but rather in the original text itself.

As someone( IIRC it was Boom) pointed out, many of these stories were passed on a number of times before they were inscribed. Hell,(can I use the word 'hell' in a religious discussion :confused: ) I can't tell my hubby to pass a message onto a third party without it be convuluted in some regard. Many of the stories in the bible were undoubtedly repeated throughout generations. Within the context of passing along the story, one must take into consideration the fact that the story will be subject to change and interpretation over time. You put one Uncle Donnie into the mix(I have an uncle Donnie who tends to really get into his stories and has a tendancy to add his own perspective, even though he wasn't privy to the original act...anyway, I digress)and the story takes on a different light. Not to mention, if two people see the same thing, each person is going to personally interpret that differently. Then, I get to my frustrated part....this discussion is not really about if the bible was correctly translated.

Say, for arguments sake, we look at both sides of this coin(again, I have the whole Devil's Advocate thing going on here...what can I say, I have a penchant for debating). First scenario, the bible is God's word, properly and accurately displayed from his mouth to our ears. I get that. However, to believe that, one must first believe that there is a God. Aha, there is the clincher. If one does not believe that there is a God, then the text of the bible has no bearing in that person's thought process in regards to agape love, pure love, salvation or anything else. Second scenario, even if one does believe in God, and accepts him as their salvation, that does not dictate that the said person must be of a particular religion, which is moreso where this debate started to begin with. Believing is God does not neccessarily mean that one believes in religious sects, or even has faith that the bible can be taken at face value.

I do admire your spunk, that's for sure. It is refreshing to see someone so passionate in their beliefs(whatever that may be). Peace. Love. That is what it is about.

5. Khamul

Khamul Roaming

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Lol, I have just had about three gigantic posts messed up. I have some awful thing with my firewall and this site. I am just going to bed, I can't think clearly right now. Way too tired. It's been a long day. :) (Car broke down, lots of homework, etc. not fun)

6. doleniel

doleniel Elven High Priestess

surrounded by idiots with no hope of escape
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    *Noting comments in posts above* Hmm, there seems to be some confusion about my religion. I am Wiccan, and I am a pantheist, but I have a hobby of learning as much as I can about other religions. My comments about Jesus were made from the point of view of a very religious Christian friend of mine. I personally do believe that it is our job to get the world to love each other, that no one else can do it for us.

Tinuviel, I completely agree with you on your comment about there being people who believe in and worship the Christian God that are not themselves Christian. I have a friend who is a lso Wiccan, but she believes only in God and just does not agree with alot of the Bible.

I heard something that I thought rather ironic in my town's ceremonies this morning. The pastor they had speaking was talking about the war in Iraq and he said something along the lines of "as long as we continue to trust in God and honor Him he will protect our soldiers and bring us victory." Now wht I find ironic is that The God the Muslims in Iraq worship is the exact same god. What does everyone else think on this?

Khamul, I sympathize with you on the computer thing, that has happened to me several times.

7. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Good point on the War thing. That is kind of Ironic isn't it? But how can god protect people? And if he is so good at protecting them why do we still have soldier's dying?

8. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Khamul....my computer has eaten it's fair share of long posts, that I could never quite recreate,as well. That bites.

9. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I always find it ironic that we believe that God is on someone's side... like at sporting events, when the coaches or whoever pray for a victory. Why would God care about that sort of thing? He cares about all of humanity. He doesn't want us to kill each other, he wants us all to be treated equally and that competition of any kind, war, sports, etc. and using him as a factor is just plain silly. What is wrong with us?

I personally believe that there is only one God. Every religion is based on this one god. In my opinion, polytheistic people worship different parts of one god. All the monotheistic people believe in teh same god just by a different name. All the major "characters" if you will of these religions, be it muslim, christianity, orthodox, all of them probably are important figures in a particular religion but they probably also important in god's plan for the world to make it better... I hope that makes sense?! :)

10. Winterine

Winterine Ranger-Bard

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    *nodnod* It makes sense.

The whole war thing...I think it's pretty ridiculous when they go about saying they do the things they do in the name of God or something. I mean, I think that's just the biggest excuse of all time, in most cases. Humans are selfish creatures, and which side is going to admit they are wrong?

11. Doyler

Doyler King of Dragons

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    *PHEW* Just read about 90% of all thoose posts. And now its my opinion time. !grammer!

First of I think the bible is the best ficitonal book ever. Yes a man named Jesus might have lived 2000 years ago and yes he might have performed a few tricks, an early Daivd Blaine if you will, but we only have prove that he lived. What we dont have is prove of him perfoming mircales.

As for God, well if he is supposed to be protecting us why does he let people die in wars etc.

Love is the most powerful emotion we have, it can destroy you or make you feel great.

But besides all that............As long as there is hope in mankind there will be life no matter which religion you follow (if any).

Lets hope our differences can be sorted out for our childrens sake.

12. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    With life there is death, so why should God allow someone to live if he is sinning? It is said in the 10 commandments that we should love our neighbors as ourselves adn thou shalt not kill. So you shouldn't blame him for letting people die in wars and what not. It is the fault of man and their free will. God's protection isn't from death. God protects us in his own way that we cannot fully fathom. It just needs to be accepted, if that makes any sense.

13. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I see your point. Clearly. And I also like the whole why should someone live if they are sinning bit. Interesting approach. Very interesting. But what is the protection that God supposedly gives us?

14. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    faith and hope for a better tomorrow.... sounds like a cheesy insurance ad doesn't it? but I mean it.

15. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Good friggin answer. Even though it does sound like an insurance ad. Turn off the TV! hehe. Anyways, that is a good answer and I can see why he might do that. But faith in what? Hope for what? What's is a better tomorrow?

16. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    One that is peaceful, where we don't have to deal with the bs that our countries, nationalities, beliefs, denominations, etc. throw at us on a daily basis. You know what I'm talking about... the things that say "I'm doing this in the name of God and so should you." And "this is a holy war" and "killing people in a misunderstood country will make things better for the world." None of that stuff makes the world a better place. It makes it more of a war zone. Without all of that, there will be "peace on earth" (sorry I had to say it) and people will be getting along. At one point in time that was the case and we should be striving for that rather than destroy with the rest of the world. Again, I hope that makes sense.

17. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Makes total sense. Thanks for asnwering my questions. Good Points. As for you Doylie. I dunno I guess I am used to your no brain responses. hehe. Although you bring a good point to the table about not knowing if Jesus really existed.

18. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    OK, I just skimmed/read this whole thread.

To start off, I'm a Christian.

I'd like to clear up something that I noted in this thread. The word "religion" has been used often in reference to Christianity. Christianity is not a religion (usually classified as a set up of do's and don'ts having to do with some higher power), it's a relationship. God came to earth as Jesus and gave up his life as a sacrifice so we could be with Him forever. That's the "protection" referred to earlier by Dragonfly. Protection of our souls; eternity with Him.

Also to clear up something I don't think has been touched yet, but sometimes causes confusion. There are different denominations of Christians, who believe different things about the Bible. I don't think those differing beliefs (including methods of baptism and such) need to be discussed here. If anyone wants to, we can start another thread.

In future apology, I know I'm not a very good debater, so please bear with me.

19. Doyler

Doyler King of Dragons

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well you know me boom Im like Cid from FF7 I'll bring up a point without thinking too much about it. But to hope for a better tommorow and a brighter future, I think for now we place too much trust in blind faith.

20. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    And doyler throws the wrench into the mix. Also Gud call religion whatever the hell you want to call it either way it is kind of messed up if you look at the big picture.