Rants, Raves, "God" & Overall thoughts on life

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Boomer, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Call me ignorant call me whatever else you can think of. These are my thoughts and I am bound by them. Be it may they send me where ever however I have grown to accept the following words for whay they are to me and that's the utter truth. I mean no harm to anyone within this thread and if you take people talking about religion from the "other" side then stop reading this now and go somewhere else. This thread is not for you. It is also not for people to judge me upon although some will and most won't. These are my dreams, hopes and questions. This is my life.

So what is going on in the world today? It seems in every conversation when you meet someone its "Hi, how are you?" ; "Good, And yourself?" ; "Doing well thanks, So what religion are you?". That has to be the most bullshit question I have ever heard. I despise that question and make it a point to let people know how damn rude that question is. Whose business is it of yours to know what religion I am? Why should you care? Are you going to try to convert me? I highly doubt you could and I highly doubt if this conversation lasted any longer you would even realize the scope in which I do not believe in God.

Have I ever believed in God? Of course. I was even contemplating going into the Seminary to be a servant of the supposed "almighty". However somethings went on which I will talk about that have made me do a complete 180 and I no longer even want to think about this figure people worship so much. However, I find myself wondering why he has done nothing when people have needed him most. Is he a he? Why am I calling him a he you ask? It's easier to type. Is this a God bashing thread? Nope and I do not intend it to be. I just want my questions answered. From here on out He or God will now be known as the entity. Because that's what the entity is. Have you ever thought that religions are just a bunch of large Cults? Think about it. You all gather on whatever day worshipping this thing because its suppoised to be almighty and lead you whatever land or salvation. Is this not salvation enough for you? Is not being on the earth one more day to smell the air and listen to the birds and animals one more time not enough salvation for you? Everyday I wake up and I am over joyed that I woke up alive for one more day so I can enjoy my life. Because folks, once you are dead you are in that box forever. You are not going anywhere. The only place you are going is through the digestive tracts of the bugs that begin to eat you when they get through the air tight casket you are in. Anyways, back on track. The whole cult thing. Is it a cult? You have a leader who preaches from a holy book or scrolls or whatever and tells you to follow him and your whatever where ever they go and to whatever fate. Ask yourself this question. Are you willing to do anything for your god? Yes? You are? I find that EXTREMELY hard to believe. You know why? I would say it however if it happened I would get in a lot of trouble but come to your own conclusions and be sure to be aware of the disclaimer at the bottom of this thread.

I am so damn fed up with everyone stating that their god is better. WHO CARES? Maybe I will make a bumper sticker that says something along these lines: My God can beat up your God. Kind of like the honour student ones. Which brings me to my next point. This is for all of you who never go out and keep your head in the books. That is all fine and dandy and good for you that you are getting good grades, etc but...."Hey did you see that????!!". Oh, that's right you didn't because you were to caught up in your school work to see it. Too late now. For once take your noses out of the books and go outside. See the sky is blue! And trees are green. And so is grass when its alive. Go for a walk listen to the birds. Get in touch with something besides paper and a book binding. It will make you a better person for it.

How bout love? Love is the most amazing feeling in the world. It hits you in the face when you know you found it. And when it goes away you are left with this caving in feeling where your heart used to be. When you find love hold onto it cause it is a precious thing and too watch it slip from your hands is the worst thing that could ever happen to you I promise. It is what binds us all in ever way, shape and form. Think about it. I have the love of my life and even though we go thorugh our tough times we know and believe we will make it through anything and everything.

So what does this lead to? The end. In two ways. The End of this rant and the end of life. Folks, you are only alloted so much time on this earth. As soon as you come out of the womb your days are numbered. Every day you come just a little closer to death. That ominous black hole in the back of your mind that you dread to think about. Why is that? What is wrong with death? We all have to face it at one time or another. Some of you may say how can I have come to terms with dying? Well I look at life this way. If I wake up tomorrow morning that's awesome I got another day here to enjoy. If I get hit by a bus or whatever and die well hey what can you do right? Not a whole heck of a lot. So get to deal with it but don't lose sleep over it.

So there's my rants. And here is my disclaimer. I am not Responsible for anything you do to yourself or someone else after reading this. That would be your choice and that is your most coveted freedom. Choice. You can walk away with one of two things here. You can say what the heck is wrong with this guy and judge me which unfortunately some people will do and I truly feel sorry for them. I really do. You are the people that make the wars and hate on this earth. Not me or the rest of us. The other way you can walk away from this is seeing that yeah I am only 21 however I have lived more than a lifetime of hurt and pain and love and happiness and I cannot ask for anything more and I chose to share with you my feelings because those of you who will not judge me might just find this a little enlightening. Remember we are connected somehow someway and what someone does will always affect someone else down the road.

Feel free to comment, I would love to hear what some of you have to say.

Always,

Last edited: Sep 9, 2003
  2. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Wielder of the Gunblade

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Well Boom, let's see if I can even come close to this MONSTROUS post you have.

First off, on religion, I am not gonna try to convert any of you, frankly, you all can believe anything you want. But why risk it? Why risk your whole life not believing in anything? Wouldn't it be better to believe in something, and be just as wrong as if you had believed in nothing at all? I mean, if you are wrong, then you are no worse than if you hadn't believed in anything. But suppose you did risk it and you were right? Wouldn't that be better? It is like when you go and purchase a pack of cards for some CCG or another. You have the money, and there are packs to be had. You have a decision. You can just walk on past, and not even risk getting the best card in the set, or you can risk it, spend a little, and see what you get, whether it be worth it or not. That is how I see it. I believe that Jesus Christ was the son of God, he died, and was resurrected again to save us. The Bible is true, and even modern day science has proved it. You can talk to me about that and I can lead you to some proofs.

As for the love thing, that was very wise Boom, I am gonna have to remember that.

Yeah, that is me for you Boom.

3. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Ok let us get somethings straight. I never said I do not believe in anything. I just said I am not a religous guy and I am entitled to that. I believe in Love dude. That to me is more powerful than anything anyone else can believe in. But it is my own opinion as much as yours is yours. As for the pack of cards thing that would be your opinion as well. For me I would analyze the situation. Do I want to spend this ridiculous amount on these cards? Probably not. Who care's if I do not get the best card in the set the oddds are stacked against me. So no thanks. As for the bible I do not know where you are coming from with that as I said nothing about it. However now that you bring it up what about the bible? It just reinforces my cult statement. It is a very old cult a very old one. I respect your opinions however and respect that you had the balls to even say something in this thread. That is more that we can say for people who will read this and not speak their minds like maybe they should. However we cannot judge anyone because who are we to judge someone.

4. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Right on Jeff. I can't stand religion. I don't believe in God and I will believe whatever I want..no one will dictate to me what is right.

I can't really comment on love since I've never been in love...but I hope I am someday.

5. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for speaking your mind Arwen. I appreciate it.

6. Winterine

Winterine Ranger-Bard

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I don't like it when those who are religious try to convert others to their faith. I think it's great that they have such strong beliefs, if it helps them live easier and give them direction, but why push it on others? Especially when they're total strangers?

I'm with Arwen about love, never truly found it...yet. I'm of the thinking there is someone out there, though...just gotta find them.

I agree that we are effectively dying as soon as we are born. So it's a matter of doing whatever it is that will make this life worth being lived in that time. Hopefully fall in love *wistful grin* and stay in love... But then it's always a bit difficult doing what you want to when you're restricted by society and monetary wealth. Of which I lack *sigh*

7. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I found your post quite refereshing and intrguing, Boom. In many regards, I can fully see and appreciate your point. I do so like the idea of a 'My God can beat up your God' bumper sticker.

Like you, it thoroughly disgusts me to hear of 'religious wars' and heinous acts carried out in the name of religion. That is a true oxymoron. No religion (God, entity, whatever) supports hate and violence. Love is the true salvation for sure.

Just for fun, I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here, and offer the other side of the coin. Love does make the world go round, and is the very best feeling in the world, without a doubt. Many people find love and experience refuge, in the name of God. Many find a love so pure and unconditional in their belief that there is a God, and He shall provide a life free of pain and sorrow for them in the afterlife. Many people are so overcome with the love they feel from their God that they want to share that love, spread that love, and identify with others that have found that salvation as well. Maybe, that, is why the age old question 'What religion are you' is so common. Even being of agnostic beliefs, one must appreciate that possibilty. As long as there is love, does it matter to you, really, if it is convuluted or imagined?

8. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Winterine,

I believe that money does not drive everything though and neither does society. I believe you can go anywhere and do anything if you set your heart to it.

9. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Wielder of the Gunblade

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I agree that it is wrong to try to force others to believe what they do. I mean, I hate it when those Jehova's Witnesses come to my door when I am trying to eat dinner too!!! I am just saying, why risk it? And plus, I think life would be really depressing if you just lived it knowing that there was gonna be nothing afterwards. Personally, I prefer a little hope.

10. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    To start, asking someone what religion they are is an incredibly rude and personal question. Some days I cannot believe the audacity some people have to ask questions that they do not need to know or are far to personal to be asking to aquaintences. But very little can be done about rude people, 'cept ignoring them.

From my point of view, love isn't the answer. No matter how much people think they're in love, it's never perfect, never fufills all of a person's needs. I've been in love. (I'm married. I have to say that. ) And I've never felt that was the best feeling in the world. Too often people pledge undying love to another, pledge to constantly be there for one another and get married. Yet a few years later those same people who were madly in love with each other, can't stand the sight of each other. And no matter how wonderful a partner's love can be, it is not enough in times of trouble. No one else can truly understand your pain.

The only think that has kept me going in troubled times is my belief in God, hope that one day there is a place where you don't experience pain and loss. I'm not sure I could make it through the day believing this existance is the only purpose in life. I need the hope that one day I'll see friend and lost to accidents and cancer, family members I dearly miss and be able to hold babies I didn't get to hold in life. If this hope is wrong, I don't really care, because it makes my world a slightly easier place to live in.

11. Khamul

Khamul Roaming

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Jeff, you know that I respect you and your beliefs, and I am going to try to really just get this across in a manner that shows respect, because it's really there.

Firstly, you must remember that not all religions can possibly lead to the same path. The direct contradictions between Islam and Chsristianity are enough to convey that fact. Islam considers Jesus to be just another prophet, but Christianity considers Jesus to God. I can go more in depth with that, but I hope I have made the basic point that is needed.

Knowing that, you have two ways to look at religion. One, that it is not useful and is just a waste of time; or two, that it is the purpose of living. I personally choose number two, but many in the world have placed themselves in the first category.

The thing that many people hate about Christianity is that control of their life is given up, and God dictates the actions that you take. This causes people to blame God when things go wrong, and say that there is no God because things go wrong. In the Bible, even some of the most righteous people had a whole bunch of crap thrown at them. David, Job, Moses, Jeremiah, and a score of others were all thrown into situations in which they had two choices. They could deny God and go on with their life, or they could accept that God had a greater plan for them, and they had to give up themselves to really experience the greater things he had in store. The Bible does say that God will not give you something that is more than you can handle, but he will push you to your limits. By taking people out of their comfort zone, they are forced to deal with the spiritual side of things, and this is something that also drives many people away.

One thing that has always puzzled me is that people say that they can't believe in Christianity because of all the hypocrites. Christians say that you can't really judge all Christians by the actions of a few, yet people still do. In that same scenario, we are being closed minded when we consider Atheists to be people that throw stones at churches and deface statues of Christian symbolism. We are told to overlook, and I personally do try. I just hope that people don't use that excuse when explaining why they don't believe in religion.

12. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Tinny,
    I truly appreciate your remarks and D.A. standpoint. However, the corrolation between Love and God does not sit well with me. For me Love is just that. Nothing more. Nothing to do with God or any higher being. It is just love.

13. Winterine

Winterine Ranger-Bard

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Jeff,

I wish it were that way. But try as I might I can't get past those two barriers. I can't really expect to get far on my own...for one thing I won't be able to post here *small grin* without paying someone money...or owing it sooner or later *hides her HECS invoice*

But just to contradict myself, there is a naieve part of me that believes that too. That you can do anything if you set your heart to it. Anything's possible, I say. But sometimes I also wonder what it is I want to do.

14. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Nienor,
    I never said Love was the answer. People are starting to twist my words in this and that was not the intended case. I believe Love is a salvation. I believe that the more someone believes in Love the more they will be able to look to Love to help them through issues they come across. It helped me the other day with somethings and I am forever greatful for being able to believe in it that much. I think the only way you can actually know you believe in the power of love that much is to feel it surging through your heart and I do.

Khamul,
    I respect you in ever way. Well obviously or I would not have you as my right hand man. Anyways my big thing is this. You did take the philosophical approach which makes your point hard to argue but I shall try. I think you said it best about giving up control and letting God dictate your actions. How can you possibly do this? Don't you want to run your own life and live it to the fullest? I know I do.

15. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Winterine,

The other night something happened to me that I never thought would. Yet as soon as it happened I set my mind and most of all my heart to it that I will make things work out and succeed through what was going on. And I am extremely happy to say that now everything is smoothed out although let's relate it to making your bed. As much as you try and try it takes a little whle to smooth out the wrinkles left from the night before. That is what I have been trying to do for the past few days now and it just now seems to be working a little more each day. Hopefully someday soon everything will be back to normal again. But I will most definately wait forever for that day if that is what it takes.

16. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Boom.... I was not saying that Love and God go hand in hand, just that some people do find love *from* their God. That love that they experience is their salvation. Peace.

17. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Nienor,
    I do agree with your love does not conquer all attitude, but moreso I think Boom has a point. Love itself may not be enough to conquer all, heal all, but the inner peace and strength it provides does empower and enable a person to endure and achieve more than thay had ever imagined. That is why, in my opinion, love can be a salvation.

18. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Oh, and if it is has any impact on my point of view, I am married, nearly five years. It hasn't always been easy, it hasn't always been fun, but it has always been a salvation.

19. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I totally and whole heartly'dly agree with you Tinny. And thanks for clearing up your post for me.

20. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Boom, didn't mean to misinterpret what you said.
    That's an interesting choice of a word for someone who doesn't believe in God.
    So, you're saying that love is only one way to save your life. If for you, love is the answer, then for some other people, a belief in God is the answer.

Personally, I think it's too difficult to place that much trust in another person. Most people no matter how much you love them, let you down at some point in your life. I know I sound really cynical. I probably am, due to watching people's lives be ruined by placing too much blind trust in their relationship with their husband or wife.

It's better to place faith in God. At the very least God isn't likely to walk out on you or decide he loves someone else better. And if you're wrong about it, you won't find out til after you're dead and it won't matter much then. ;)