Radio Prank Gone Terribly Wrong - Who's to blame?

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Crouton, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I also don't really think we should blame the DJ's. You heard the shock in their voice. They went into this prank NEVER imagining that two proffesionals in the hospital would actually believe through their terrible accents that they were the Queen etc. No one would expect anyone to buy that. Then when they did buy it they probably just went with it since they didn't know what else to do.

2. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    This story got out of hand very quickly here in the UK. I, of course, think the DJs should be ashamed of themselves. They were also involved in a prank in the past which resulted in a 14 year old girl admitting on air she was a rape victim... Yet they did not seem too upset about that to seize with their pranks.

Everyone keeps going on about the impersonation of the queen and how Mrs Saldaha should have realized it was a trick etc. But they forget that firstly, the samples we have heard are from the radio broadcast aka clean versions of it, and to her on the phone it would have sounded very different. And also, Mrs Saldahna was Indian, and perhaps not so attuned to the different accents yet? They say she had only stayed in the UK for a number years, with her family living abroad, so she was still new here. She also barely spoke with the DJs in question, she was simply the nurse to transfer the call to the ward where the duchess was staying. It's the nurse who gave out personal information while the DJs were apparently barking as they pretended to be the corgi's etc, who was the questionable one. It's just sad that Mrs Saldahna felt that she was responsible, but who knows what kind of pressure had been put on her after it had happened. Perhaps she was blamed by the others for not assuring that she got the right identity, they could have placed on her that the others assumed it WAS the queen because she passed the call through etc etc We'll never know exactly what happened after that call. And the fact she was living away from her family who were still in India etc, this might have been the event to push her over the brink. She may have already been suffering before this incident, but it in no way excuses the actions of the DJs or the media's overreaction to it.

3. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Exactly that.I agree with you.

4. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    And that's another thing, people need to think of the nurse's point of view. Can you imagine the media response if the queen HAD in fact called but was turned away? The media outcry would have been just as ridiculous. She may have been, in that brief moment, too starstruck to assume it was a prank. It all happened so fast, it's easy to sit back and say 'how could they have thought it was the queen' etc when you are reading an account of it.

5. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Yeah you're right!That prank was so stupid...

6. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Okay first up, that "rape" prank had nothing at all to do with the two current DJ's. They didn't even work at the station during the time of that prank, that was made by another guy that most Australian's hate. He is a real douche and is basically only known now for his controversy and getting on the nerves of other TV personalities here.

I didn't know her family was all in India, I heard that her husband and two children were in England but the rest of her family was in India. They just weren't with her at the actual time of the prank because she was staying in a nurses accommodation.

Again I don't think the DJ's should be blamed for anything here. They are just two young people who have already suffered enough. They even had to be removed from their homes due to the amount of death threats they were receiving! No one deserves that over an admittedly very stupid prank. No one could have predicted how out of control this would get, especially not the DJ's. I think the biggest idiot here is the radio stations legal department, who actually listened to this pre-recorded segment but decided to air it anyway. Surely someone in the legal department would have known that it wasn't the best idea to air something like this.

The station has now axed that particular radio show and has banned all prank calls in the future.

7. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    I totally agree that the amount of media attention this story is getting is ridiculous. But in truth I think that the DJs should have realized, especially in the UK, that the media would erupt over the prank. Okay, the suicide is something separate. No one could have expected such a thing. Pranks happen all the time. But even without the death, the media here would still be going on and on about it. It was rather ridiculous, they were even speaking about the DJs being charged for 'high treason', and I thought oh come on now... And this was before the suicide of the nurse.

8. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Something I've been thinking about is the fact that TWO nurses were involved. But who is the other one? The one who killed herself only passed the call on, she didn't even give out any information. But the second nurse? I don't know her name, don't know what she looks like, and haven't heard anything at all about her on the news. All the attention is being put on the other nurse because she killed herself. Makes me wonder how much less we would be hearing about her if she was still alive and just laying low like the other nurse is.

9. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    I know, I also assumed it was the second nurse who had committed suicide aka the one who the DJs spoke the longest to, and who gave away information etc. But as you said, it was simply the nurse who passed on the call to the department. Before this suicide, people were only talking about the nurse who gave away the information, no one even thought about who initially took the call. It's all very unfortunate and sad. But the media will be chewing on this for months to come no doubt....

10. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone even seen the second nurse though? She hasn't been in the news at all here, not even once, only the woman who died has been in the news.

It's stupid that this would have been in the news for a few weeks maybe sure, but people would forget about it, move on and just ignore it very quickly if it wasn't for this suicide. Everything would most likely already be back to normal right now for both of those nurses if it wasn't for that suicide which blew everything way out of proportion. And we still don't even know if it was just the prank that made her do it, or if there was a lot of other factors contributing for her.

11. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Well from what I've seen on the news, online etc, there's been nothing about the second nurse. Even though initially it was she that most people were annoyed with. No one was speaking about the nurse who forwarded the call.

And indeed, there HAD to be other factors to the suicide. It seems like a hyper-extreme reaction, even if she was totally humiliated by it. I did read somewhere that colleagues of hers had noted that she was 'very alone and sad', but it never went into much more about that. So if the prank was involved at all, it was the last thing in a long line of issues. Such a shame.

12. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Someone really needs to figure out for sure and let the two DJ's know that it wasn't just the prank that pushed her to the edge. Some people are going as far as to claim that those two people have "blood on their hands" which is completely unfair and an overreaction. No young people should be told that.

13. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I think the DJ's themselves are initially to blame for the prank obviously, and they certainly should have had the responsibility to end the prank when they thought it was going a bit too far.

However I think the whole thing was blown out of proportion by the media frenzy that followed. The fact everyone made a huge deal out of it made things worse for both the DJ's and the two nurses involved.

However to kill ones self over something like this indicates that there must have been another problem with the nurse, there already must have been psychological problems and depression as I cannot see anyone committing suicide on a whim like that.

14. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Yes it seems like a major overreaction to end your life over what is essentially just an embarrassing incident. Just curious when the story will start to calm down...

15. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +329 / 1 / -0
    well, high treason may be a tad too much, but recording a phone call without permission is a crime, as is fraud. the Dj's misrepresented themselves in this case, and should the police press charges may face prison times from 5-10 yrs, added to which we haven't dealt with the nurse's family yet, and the possible civil suits against the dj's and the radio station

(recording voice is why our security systems at work do not have microphones, there was a case of a peeping tom that recorded his neighbour in the shower. he was arrested for stealing electricity and voice recording and got 15 yrs, since at the time it was not illegal for a landlord to have cameras on his property)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  16. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

They will not spend one second in jail, nor will criminal charges be brought against them.

Freedom of speech and freedom of expression trumps a mentally unstable nurse.

What's next, nobody can say anything for fear of offending somebody else, or pushing someone over the edge?

17. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    the freedom of speech ends where I do it at the expense of others. (Again, I'm not saying that it is all the dj's fault) But I dislike this "freedom of speech" card - because it does not give me the right to publicly embarrass others who have done nothing wrong.

18. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    Thank you for saying this.

19. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I did hear (rightly or wrongly) that when people get pranked, the broadcaster needs to obtain their permission afterwards to broadcast it. In this case, I very much doubt they got any permission.

Does anyone know about the "obtaining permission" side of things?

20. gumboot

gumboot lorcutus.tolere

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Under Australian law (which is what's relevant here), it is only illegal to record a phone call if you're not partaking in it, so recording the call wasn't illegal. Neither did they commit fraud, but rather a hoax, which is likewise not illegal (the difference between a hoax and fraud is what the intent of the act was). Australian broadcast guidelines do require radio stations to get permission before broadcasting a conversation with someone, however this is only an industry guideline and not law, so the only likely outcome would be the radio station being fined.

While we're on the topic of legality, however, there's the question of whether the call should have been answered. And I'm not talking about whether the nurses should have believed the Queen was personally calling at 5.30am; even if it had been the Queen, is she entitled to private information about her grandson's wife's medical condition? I'm not up on the details of UK privacy law, but here in New Zealand it's illegal for a doctor to even disclose medical information over the phone to the patient let alone to a relative.

What I've found really fascinating is how quickly people jump to conclusions. It's shocking enough how violent and nasty some of the remarks directed at the DJs have been, but what makes it all even more remarkable is that currently, there is exactly zero evidence that the nurse even killed herself, let alone that she did it because of the prank call. The only actual statement the police have made is that her death is not suspicious. The case of death has not been released, nor the circumstances.

People have just assumed it was suicide, and then assumed she killed herself because of the prank call, and then based on their unjustified assumptions they have hurled abuse and threats at the DJs.