Radio Prank Gone Terribly Wrong - Who's to blame?

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Crouton, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Okay so as many of you probably already know from the news there has been a radio station prank here in Australia that turned sour.

For those who don't know, recently two radio show hosts pulled a prank on their show when they called the hospital where Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge was at the time staying due to bad morning sickness. The radio show hosts called the hospital, pretended to be the Queen asking for information on Middletons health and after being passed through two nurses they got very private and personal information on her condition.

Since then, the media got a hold of the fact that it was a hoax and these Australian presenters managed to get this information out of the nurses. The media went out of control, blaming the nurses, blaming the radio show hosts, blaming everyone. It spiraled out of control until one of the nurses who answered the call was found dead, suspected of suicide.

This is clearly a tragic end to a pretty stupid prank to begin with, but no one could have known how far this woman would go. The Brit's are blaming the Australians, the Australians are blaming each other, and basically everyone is getting hurt.

The two radio hosts in question have been removed from their homes after hundreds of harsh threats of violence and death and are undergoing counselling. They are said to be in an unstable mental condition right now.

Everyone is trying to play the blame game right now but I really think the pressure needs to be taken off those two hosts. They had NO idea that their terribly cheesy British accent would actually be believed as the Queen! Who would? No one would expect to get away with that. And even then, if anyone is to blame it should be the radio stations legal department, since the show was pre-recorded and they let this stupid prank air anyway.

Also, the fact that this woman apparently committed suicide for being in a radio prank is very extreme. You can't help but wonder if there was some mental illness there to begin with for someone to go to such extremes over something like this. The hospital wasn't even punishing her but was instead supporting both nurses in any way they could.

Anyway, this was a stupid prank that has spiraled way out of control due to the media. I can't help but wonder if it was the prank itself or the media pushing this nurse into the spotlight which caused her to kill herself.

2. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Ok this was a stupid prank and those djs should be ashamed. But if you ask me it's especially the media's fault who blew this out of proportions with grave consequences. If they didn't make such a big deal out of it that transferrer wouldn't have gone into shame for what she had done, but it's clear she was dealing with other issues as well, which those djs weren't aware of. They said she was feeling lonely. It's a suspicious case where not just one is to blame. It's not just the djs' fault. It's not just the media's fault. It's all issues building up that led to her death, including issues that had nothing to do with this matter.

3. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Ana, it doesn't have a single reason.

But what kinda annoys me is that obviously the djs didn't think about the consequences their call would have for the people who believed them. Do you know what I mean? For the djs it's fun, because they were able to "outsmart" the nurses - but for the nurses it's embarrassing as hell and the djs should have known that from the beginning on. So I blame the djs for producing entertainment at the expense of others. Sure, committing suicide is way over the top - but the djs should've known that they wouldn't put the nurses in any good light

4. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    The blame lies with one person, and one person only, the idiot nurse who gave out personal information over the phone... and I guess, as a result of her shame and embarrassment, would actually take things so seriously that suicide seemed to be the only way out. What she should have done, was take that radio station to court!.. just like this guy whose wife died after a radio station's contest went horribly wrong here in America some years back... http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/jury-rule...-water-drinking/story?id=8970712#.UMRoC938spc

That's right, as hard as it is to believe, this lady actually drank so much water during a radio show sponsored contest, that she died.

I also blame hero-worship for the nurse's death.
    Can you imagine being so into the ****ing Royal Family, and taking them so seriously that because you screwed up on their behalf, suicide becomes a real option for you.

5. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Although they didn't expect the nurse to commit suicide,the pranksters are definetely to blame I guess.Because it was a stupid and irresponsible prank.Plus I seriously hate paparazzis.

6. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    I think the nurse that committed suicide was the one who put the djs through to the other nurse who gave out the information, just to clear that up

7. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    ... which makes it even more pathetic.

8. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    It was a stupid, stupid prank that should never have been played in the first place. I mean seriously, what are these hosts' collective ages? Two? Idiotic.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    blame society!

10. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    A silly prank that backfired with tragic consequences. The news coverage hasn't helped nor is it proportional now given that DJs had already apologised before Jacintha Saldanha took her life. It appears likely the DJs did commit an offence though by recording (without call recipient's consent) & subsequently airing prank call.

Undoubtably she was embarrassed being duped and for passing through call to the ward but lets not forget (#sparrow) she did not actually give out personal details that was a second nurse. It must also have been apparent to her colleagues/managers, especially as they're supposed to be health professionals, that she was distressed about it and they (her employer) owed her a duty of care too.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  11. Dreamscaper

Dreamscaper Royal Hamster Wrangler

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    Humanity's incessant need to be entertained by the misfortunes of others. The media in its entirety I would think be to blame, indirectly, as is the masses of people that follow it just for the purpose of being entertained. It's a sad state of affairs that people get their kicks just by upsetting others, even sadder that people who manipulate that want for their own gain in viewers, money, or some other object/desire that has no value next to the life and health of another.

12. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    It was...a very bad and stupid prank actually.And......really now,I mean the paparrazis are like leeches,they're trying to feed off of other people's happiness or sadness and...well yeah it was just so stupid but they don't think about other people when they make such kinds of pranks which is really annoying and sad.

13. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Interesting tidbit, the nurses aren't even supposed to be answering phones. They are trained to look after people, not to deal with all the calls at a hospital. The fact that these nurses took the call means the hospital is most likely cutting corners and not putting night shift receptionists on and making the nurses do it on top of their already busy schedule. I wonder what would have happened if an actual receptionist answered the call. I bet they wouldn't have fallen for a cheesy very unrealistic British accent.

14. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    King Edward VII is a private hospital, it doesn't have an A&E department so there probably wouldn't be any need to run a reception desk in the early hours. If an emergency happened to a patient it would be the ward sister's responsibility to call in relatives ~ that's been the case for decades. This has nothing to do with cutting corners or costs, she probably thought the incoming phone call was for a member of staff as night shift coming to a close. That's my take anyway having come from a home with clinical & nursing staff parents, who often worked nights!

15. Dreamscaper

Dreamscaper Royal Hamster Wrangler

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    There is a line between political correctness and going out of the way to mock someone though...

Anyway... tis a sad turn of events, one way or another.

16. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    I can't add anything that hasn't already been said except to point out that hindsight is always 20/20. I can't see how those two DJs could possibly have predicted that this was going to happen. I feel as badly for them as I do for everyone else who was involved. If I was to put myself in their place: knowing that my actions were responsible for a world-wide media disaster that caused someone to commit suicide over what should have been a stupid, harmless prank? I'd be a wreck. :p

17. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    Couldn't agree more.

18. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    This isn't the first time one of these radio pranks has gotten out of hand, in the UK a radio DJ and that Jonathan Ross chap got into trouble for prank calling the actor who plaid Manuell in Fawlty Towers - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Russell_Brand_Show_prank_telephone_calls_row

In the end these kind of prank calls are the sort of thing that you'd associate with bored kids (need I bring to everyones mind a certain Bart Simpson calling Moe's Tavern). It's generally an innocent type of amusement most people would class as annoying, but not something to get worked up about.

The thing is, when it hits the radio it becomes different. The public attempt to mock and humiliate someone else does cut a lot deeper into people and whilst I'm sure that it is not the intent of most DJ's to do this it is, sadly, the result of some of their actions. The other thing to keep in mind is that many people hear these prank calls and laugh, mostly because at the back of their mind is the thought that "they seriously can't be 'true'". It's like watching people falling over on "You've Been Framed" - its funny and you can freely laugh because you generally assume that the people involved are not hurt seriously.

In the end this is one case where it was true and where it did result in people getting seriously hurt. I don't think, like many, that this prank call was the only reason for the woman to take her own life; but I do think it was the one thing that pushed her over the edge in a series of events in her life.

19. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    I agree. There had to be more to it than just the embarrassment factor. The whole affair is just awful really.

20. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    She was a wife and a mother, as well as a friend, colleague etc etc. I feel for her family.

I don't blame the DJs in any way, beyond blaming their audiences who apparently like these sort of childish crap we get on Aussie radio. I stopped thinking they were funny around age 12 but lots of fully grown adults think they're hilarious.

Blaming the DJs for this is like blaming the paparazzi guy who took those topless photos of Kate Middleton. If nobody bought those trashy magazines, nobody would be paying the paparazzi. They provide a service that a market exists for. Blame the consumers who ask for it, not just those willing to cash in on it.