R. A. Salvatore's Demon Stone game

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by kartaron, Aug 29, 2004.

1. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    "If you play Dungeons & Dragons and read, R.A. Salvatore needs no introduction. He's one of the most successful, prolific and admired authors chronicling D&D-style fantasy novels writing today. But he's not satisfied with the New York Times Bestseller list. Salvatore is eyeing videogames as the newest and most exciting story medium he can think of. His new game, the first he's been directly involved with, is Demon Stone, from Atari Games, an action RPG in the vein of The Two Towers action game from about a year ago."

GameSpy: How many novels have you published since you got your start with The Crystal Shard, back in 1988?

R.A. Salvatore: 41? 42? The 17th Drizzt novel is coming soon (The Two Swords), I've done a Tarzan novelization, a Star Wars book, all kinds of stuff.

GameSpy: Did you approach Atari about Demon Stone or did they approach you?

R.A. Salvatore: Atari approached Wizards of the Coast. And Wizards suggested me because they knew I'd been wanting to do this for years now. It's a natural extension of my writing. I want to explore where the author fits into game design process. So I jumped at it, it's one of the best things I've done!
    GameSpy: What's the difference between writing a novel and writing a game?

R.A. Salvatore: Writing a game script is very collaborative. They have all these builds, it's all right in front of them. When you're writing a novel you've got 100,000, 200,000 words to play with, and in a video game you have to be really precise. You get maybe 5,000 words. Every word in there has to count. The challenge was to still make it flow as a story, while keeping it short.

Demon Stone takes place in AD&D's hugely popular Forgotten Realms universe, a medieval world of swords, sorcery, and other archaic things that begin with "S." Alas, the Realms are not at peace, as two legendary tyrants have escaped from the ensorceled crystal that held them in captivity for a century. Enter our heroes. Through no fault of their own, a ragtag trio of a warrior, a rogue and a sorcerer is formed, and they set out to stop the two villains before it's too late.

The player controls one party member at a time -- switching between them on the fly -- while the other party members are AI-controlled. For example, when the player controls the Fighter, the Sorcerer and Rogue will continue to engage in combat, cast spells and assist the player in defeating all challengers. In many situations, the characters will be able to divide and conquer difficult objectives. The player participates seamlessly in each critical moment as they are cinematically switched from one perspective to another. Players are continually tasked with choosing the best character for each challenge as well as using each character's gameplay specialty to maximum effect.

Perhaps the most impressive thing about Demon Stone is its graphical presentation. While it doesn't have the hyper-optimized smoothness of Ratchet & Clank, it succeeds in creating some very moody, detailed-looking Forgotten Realms vistas through the sheer quality of its art. The skies are beautiful, the scale vast, and many scenes are virtual orgies of action. It's quite likely the best-looking AD&D game yet, so fans can look forward to being dazzled.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/demon-stone/541214p1.html?fromint=1

http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/541/541422p1.html?fromint=1

http://ps2.gamespy.com/playstation-2/forgotten-realms-demon-stone/539412p1.html

Tons of detail here:
    http://ps2.gamespy.com/playstation-2/forgotten-realms-demon-stone/

2. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    The latest video game that uses the DUNGEONS & DRAGONS world is now on store shelves. Atari's FORGOTTEN REALMS: DEMON STONE is a fantasy role-playing game that features a storyline developed by best-selling D&D author R.A. Salvatore and is set in the popular Forgotten Realms universe. Players control three types of characters -- a Fighter named Rhannek, a Sorcerer named Illius and a Rogue named Zhai -- each with their own unique abilities and skills. The gamer controls one player at a time while the remaining two party members are controlled by the game's AI.

Bringing a level of prestige to the game are STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION's Patrick Stewart (who voices the powerful mage Khelban "Blackstaff" Arunsun) and DAREDEVIL's Michael Clarke Duncan (who voices a Slaad Lord named Ygorl.) As well, Salvatore's popular drow elf Drizzt Do’Urden also appears in the game as well as geographical locations straight from the popular D&D campaign Forgotten Worlds landscape.

cinescape.com