R. A. Salvatore anyone?

Discussion in 'Forgotten Realms' started by Tolman Muggworts, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    I have to say I loved reading his Forgotten Realms books but they don't really stand the re-reading or in-depth study tests. Drizzt is great, as is the early Wulfgar, the Verbeeg lair is one of my favourite scenes ever. There's something fascinating about Entreri too, a combination of his single-mindedness and his juxtapositioning with Drizzt. But it all seems rather shallow and static. You get the feeling that he sat down and planned out his character types before he did anything else, and wrenched his stories to fit the characters. They don't really change (although he did admittedly rectify that, some say too drastically, in the last few books) and always fulfil the same roles in each scenario. Probably the most annoying thing about the series was the 'Oh, he's dead! *Berserk fury leaving countless bodies, then tears* 'No, he's back again!' I mean, he managed to kill off and ressurrect every one of his main characters, sometimes repeatedly.

The Cadderly series was fun but Cadderly and Danica were just too unbelieveable, too powerful too quickly. I LOVED Ivan and Pikel. The Bouldershoulder brothers were the only thing that kept the series alive.

2. Xeiphyr

Xeiphyr AKG

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    no, actually, that was supposed to happen anyways, that was just him wrting it into his book.