Quivers

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by Witchking, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Witchking

Witchking Undead Ringer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Quivers (fp!)

Wahey! A new section!
    Anyway, I was wondering how you would go about making Leather quivers, something similar to the ones used by Legolas. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

fp?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2003
  2. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I would say just make a leather tube with a bottom and use paint or a wood burning tool to put a design on it.

3. sefranox

sefranox New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i would say so, too.
    the only thing really difficult to make on the legolas quiver, is the bottom, this golden, curved "ending".

i have no idea how to make that ....

4. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Or you could just close up the bottom instead of putting one on.

5. sefranox

sefranox New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    yes, you could, but only if you`re not trying to make a quiver looking like the one of legolas ;)

6. Witchking

Witchking Undead Ringer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Anyone know of any good sites dealing with this sort of thing?

7. waenlotien

waenlotien Healer/ Magicuser

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  8. waenlotien

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    here is another one I just found for you. has some tips on the Legolas bow as well.

http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Elf/Legolas/Kit/HowTo.htm

also here is a whole page with step by step on Legolas' whole outfit

http://members.shaw.ca/staz/suzannes_costumes.html#Legolass Leather Vambraces

also if you go to yahoo groups there is one called LOTR_Costume. They have all kinds of stuff there. They are both fanatical and phenominal, here are som eexamples:

1. http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_4741680/Las's+Costumes/LeggyBracerPattern2.0.jpg?bc.Bhs_AkoYZEGsb

2. http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_4741680/Las's+Costumes/LeggyPeacockDesign.jpg?bc.Bhs_A06pfJNlC

3. http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_4741680/Las's+Costumes/FaramirBracer.jpg?bc.Bhs_AuBupCbMh

there are lots of other patterns as well.

9. swordsman

swordsman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  10. waenlotien

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    thats great swordsman, ty!!

11. Christophe of Grey

Christophe of Grey Cordwainer to Royals

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Re: Quivers (fp!)

The toughest part of making a quiver is the bottom. It determines the final shape of the whole quiver. In the case of Legolis his quiver is not round but a rounded square - that is, think of a round squashed down a bit. The bottom piece needs to be this same shape. Now the trick is how the bottom is sewn in. Cut a piece the shape you want the quiver to be, in this case a square with rounded ends. Now off the border of this shape you have little tags. These tags will be what is sewn to the tube forming the quiver. The trick is that these tags point down, not up. This makes the rounded square the bottom of the quiver, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch above the bottom of the tube. If you want to "silence" the arrows you carry in your quiver, glue or sew a piece of sheep wool on the bottom and around the top of the quiver. This way your arrows wont clatter as you walk around.

The next issue is the strap. If you notice, Legolis does not have just one strap attaching his quiver. He has one coming over his shoulder but that meets a T in the center of his chest with the tails going out to each side, in this case, his waist. These two sides attach to the bottom of the quiver and keep it in place on his back and coming over the correct shoulder. In the case of Legolis, his right shoulder - how else could he get arrows out so fast? Just how does he do that???

The weight of the leather can be 4 - 5 oz veg tanned leather or even a split grain leather. However, if you plan on putting the peacock on your quiver like Legolis' the leather should be veg tan with the smooth side out. It would be nearly impossible to get the detail required for the peacock on split grain leather. BTW use acrylic paints, they stick better, then coat the project with a clear coat to help prevent peeling or cracking of the paint.

When I make a project like this for the fist time, I "make" it out of poster board first. It is much easier and cheaper to change and modify as needed. And when I'm finished I have my pattern for the real thing.

Christophe of Grey
    Creator of leather Medieval Accessories

12. swordsman

swordsman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hay Christophe! Good to see you here. Sounds like you did your homework on your quiver. Would this be something that you would like to make available to the public?
    Hint hint

13. Christophe of Grey

Christophe of Grey Cordwainer to Royals

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Swordsman,
    Actually I'm in the process of researching the design of the Legolis quiver, both dark and light versions, with the intent of offering them publically. That's one of my gigs, I make stuff for Medieval re-enactors and Ren Faire folk - it's just so hard to find what we need at the mall!

Of course, in this venue, I am more than willing to share my expertise, what I may have, but more importantly, my trials and tribulations with folks and their projects. If I am able to hep some one here, then this forum serves its purpose.

Christophe of Grey
    Creator of leather Medieval Accessories.