Quiver

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by Harrison, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Okay, thanks.

2. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Wow, thanks for the advice. It worked, I laced everything up with ribbon just to see if it fits and it fits extraordinarily.

3. Christophe of Grey

Christophe of Grey Cordwainer to Royals

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Gamigar,
    OK, you're on the way. I use lace material like they sell for boot laces. I get it at Leather Factory or Pennsic from the leather merchants. I can get real long ones in either place. I had an order for a quiver though, the Elven quiver in the gallery, where the buyer didn't like the look of the leather laces. I used lacing material instead. It was a bit of a hassle lacing though as this material is not designed to take much stress. I broke a few pieces before I figured out just how much and how tight I could pull it. Very frustrating. I wound up lacing the project about six times before I was finished! Tandy sells differnt types of needles to thread laces with. I've used this http://tandyleather.com/prodinfo.asp?number=119000&variation=&aitem=4&mitem=21 type which I prefer a lot. If the lace breaks the needle is still useable. I also have used this type http://tandyleather.com/prodinfo.asp?number=119301&variation=&aitem=10&mitem=21 which is great until the lace breaks inside the needle. You actually thread the lace into the needle making a nice smooth entry/exit from the lace hole. Problem is, if it breaks off without enough to unscrew it from the needle, the needle is now useless because the threaded hole is plugged. Obviously I'm recommending the first choice.

BTW, Saturday I leave for 2 glorious weeks at Pennsic. I will not be able to log on to this forum while there (too big for my PDA). If you have additional questions email me at jatking05@sprintpcs.com. That goes to my PDA, which, as a good nerd, I will have with me.

4. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Okay, thanks for the tips again. I just used ribbon so I had some idea as to how it would work. I'm gonna use leather lacing like you said. Thanks for letting me e-mail you. I'll try to e-mail you sparingly.

5. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I just ordered some veg tan leather. It's a double shoulder piece about 7-1/2 square feet. I got it for $44.00 including shipping and handling. I also added to my Tandy Shopping List a 1-1/4" belt buckle for the quiver. I'm gonna do my bottom straps a little bit different than you did, that's why I only have one on my list.

6. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Gamigar,
    Paterns are really just "suggestions" on how one can make the item. Cool. Is the buckle going in the center of your chest in front? I'm wondering how there will be adjustment built into the straps. Of course, if you are the only one who will be using the quiver, once it's adjusted to you, you will probably never change the strap settings. Except if you change your clothing per seasons, i.e. bulky stuff in winter, light stuff in summer.

Have you looked into that magazine I recommended? Reason I ask is they have periodic contests for young leather artists. The direction you are going and the skills you are developing you should enter. They have some cool prizes. Plus you get the recognition for your work.

7. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm going to put the buckle the same place on the strap that you did, it's just going to be that only one adjusts and the other just stays the same. No, I haven't looked into that magazine, but now that you mention it I will.

8. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Gamigar,
    Please make sure you post some pictures when you get it finished!

9. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Okay. What was the name of the magazine?

10. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Gamigar,
    The Leather Crafters and Saddlers Journal, 331 Annette Court, Rhinelander, WI., 54501-2902. Subscription is $29 per year, six issues. Worth every penny!

11. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks.

12. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Okay, I finished my quiver, I'll have some pictures up somewhere soon.

13. CrowCallerWoman

CrowCallerWoman Correllian Tradition

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here is a link to one article on quiver making:
    http://frugalarcher.tripod.com/plainsqvr.html

:draught:

I have recently made my own with an old pair of jeans (not period looking, but I am unconventional and use what I have on hand to avoid buying anything expensive).

As soon as I figure out how to add some pictures, I will let you see my handi-work. ;)

14. CrowCallerWoman

CrowCallerWoman Correllian Tradition

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Okat I think I got this figured out. Here are links to pictures of the quiver that I fashioned using the intructions from the webpage I posted a link to in the previous msg. The metal clip that I use to hang on my shorts was a metal wreath holder...now that is resourceful! I added some padding in the bottom because it is just chipboard on the inside and I don't want the sharp points to eventually poke through (this also serves to clean the tips because the padding is pretty fluffy).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I made it from an old pair of jeans (I save them as they wear out, yah never know when you'll need a little denum fabric...cheaper than buying it off the bolt!). :D

15. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Here's the quiver.

Attached Files:

16. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Gmigar,
    Nice job on the quiver. On thestrap closeup I noticed you used rivets. Usually I just punch two holes then lace the strap in using the same lacing that closes up the tube. How do you like the back style quiver? I used my Italian side style most of the time at Pennsic and found I prefer it. The arrows are easier to get out. Usually with the back style I'm bending over to the side trying to "shake out" the final couple of arrows! I saw a couple of different ways to keep te back style in place - changes in the straping patterns - that I might try.

PS: What's with the name change?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Well I started out with the lacing but when I was cutting off the excess I accidentally cut off both ends so I had to start a whole new strand for the rest. It was okay for a while but it got really loose so I just decide to put rivets in it. There were so many inconsistancies in the construction of it. I think I'm gonna make a side quiver. My dad wants me to make him one with a horseshoe on it, because of our family's coat of arms. I changed my name because I was getting tired of Gamigar and I thought Tirian sounded better.

18. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    that is an awesome quiver.
    nice job

19. waenlotien

waenlotien Healer/ Magicuser

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hail King Tirian,
    nicely done on the quiver!
    I just got some more leather so will be working on something soon, not sure what yet LOL

Crowcallerwoman,
    nice work, very resourceful to say the least.

Cristophe,
    sorry I have been gone so long but work has been a major drag LOL
    when i got back from my vacation, someone quit, then i had to take her to mexico, driving all the wya down uugggggg. then came back and have been registering for school along with working ungodly hours. but now things are back to normal.