Question.

Discussion in 'The Sword of Truth' started by Alec, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Alec

Alec New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wanted to read this series, but I have heard some bad things about it, mainly how the Author pushes his views onto the readers, and how the the Hero seems to have many different powers.

Now, if I actually like the Hero having lots of different powers that just come out of nowhere, and if I really don't mind accepting the Author's views on thing, would I potentially like these books? So far I have really enjoyed other popular fantasy series, from authors such as Eddings, Feist, Jordan etc.

2. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    In all honesty, Alec, to answer your question. The author doesn't push his views onto you. It is Your Choice to use his views in your way of life. I enjoy these books not because of the Views but because of the storyline involved. I will warn you though, there are adult situations in the books but if you can sit through that then you can surely read them. And these books are for Children under 16. They are my favorite novels of all time. The main hero has faults and weaknesses like any other character in a novel. In a way these books are like Robert Jordan's but not as LONG drawn out. If you do decide to pick the first book up then good luck with your reading. As always if you have further questions don't hesitate to ask! Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  3. Morgaia

Morgaia Eystaun,The Grey Alliance

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Goodkind doesn't push his views on you....anyway, I think most of what he says that could be taken as world views are based in logic anyway. The story is amazing too. These books are the reason I read fantasy, they were my hook. I would do nearly anything to be able to write like this man! lol I really encourage you to try them, if you can deal with violence and such....don't want to be encouraging children to read things that could be bad for their minds! (no offense) :p

4. Dragon Song

Dragon Song The Soul Reaper

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I have just started reading the seris, but so far I have not felt as if any particular views were pushed upon me from my reading of it. The only thing I will say is that all in all I do not think the Goodkind is a very skilled writer but I am still enjoying the story and the chars thus far and I would recomend reading it and just trying it out for yourself to see if you like it or not.

5. clouded_perception

clouded_perception clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    The series is very, very preachy (as in half-page monologues on objectavism), but if you can tolerate that they're quite good.

6. Kenshin

Kenshin Drifter

Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    I actually really enjoy the views I've read so far, and the actual Wizards First Rule is very useful.

7. Dragon Song

Dragon Song The Soul Reaper

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I have to say I personally really did not feel as if I was being preached to in the book thus far.

8. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    The preaching starts later in the series... especially in Faith of the Fallen, but FotF is my favorite book in the series though ;)

9. Kakashi17

Kakashi17 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    If you have a ton of time on your hands or if you want to be pissed off after reading god knows how many pages then go ahead and start the series. But if you want to read good fantasy stay away from this series.

10. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    If you wanted to give your support for the series that is fine but to come in here and bash it because you didn't like the series....well that's pretty Pointless. Look buddy, why don't you go to a different section where your opinion is noted. I'd appreciate if you'd keep your Negative Criticism to yourself. This in turn means that if you have a negative opinion Don't say anything. Don't bother visiting this section.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  11. The First Wizard

The First Wizard Im more known as Tidus

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    i agree it doesnt get preachy till FotF but still its a great series even though im only on chainfire.:)