Question!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Storm Eagle, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Master of the Ninja Guild

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    One of my boks is nearly completed, and I wish to publish it. What publisher should I go to?

2. Silverhand

Silverhand Tairite Warder

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think people go to every single one. I remember the story that no one wanted to publish Harry Potter, but the author finally came across one. Don't expect it to be published straight away. Also, it's worth paying for someone to give you tips for editing as well. That costs about £60 in England, dunno about anywhere else. Good Luck! :D

3. Dann21

Dann21 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Agreed, go to all of them. Even better, write a few short stories if you can and send those to everyone in the buissness. Alot of publishers are cautious about taking on a novel by an unheard of author, due to the high cost of releasing a book. They are more likely to accept short stories that can be used as fillers in anthologies including more popular authors that will sell a title by themselves. Get yourself into one of those and you'll have a much easier time getting your books published.

4. epicfantasy7

epicfantasy7 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It's rather difficult to find a publisher if you don't have a portfolio of proven work to show. You said that one of your books is ready to be published. Does this mean that you already have other published works?

If this is your first attempt at publishing I would recommend you self-publish it just for the experience and for the portfolio building. Unless it's something really special. The craft of writing just takes a long time to get proficient at.

A typical route for somebody to get a publisher would be to build a portfolio of shorter works that are published for pay in various magazines. With this track record you might be able to get a publisher to look at your manuscript. They get literally thousands of manuscripts and they need to use some way to sort out the quality ones. Having a record of being published in periodicals is a good way to do that.

Good luck, and keep writing!