Question about elvish.

Discussion in 'J.R.R. Tolkien / Lord of the Rings' started by Eruthiawen, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Eruthiawen

Eruthiawen New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi, I'm not sure if this is where to ask my question but here it goes. If I was writing a book that had elves as characters would if need to ask permission to use J. R. R. Tolkein's elvish as their language in my book? If, so where would I get that permission?

2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +638 / 3 / -1
    The Tolkien Estate would be the ones to answer that question:
    http://www.tolkienestate.com/

I suspect however that, as Elvish (as devised by Tolkien) is a unique language chances are they have some form of copywrite over it. I suspect they might also directly limit its use in publications - you might get away with a "Learn to Speak Elvish" book but I highly doubt they will let you use it in your own original fantasy works.

Also whilst they will have controls over the elvish that Tolkien devised they won't have any control over the use of Elvis in fantasy. Your own are free to speak any form of Elvish that you devise for yourself and you may still call it elvish within the context of your own worldset.

As a basis for another language you can always do what many other writers do and use an older language that fits into your worldset - celtic - norse - etc.. are all popular ancient languages that fantasy writers use either whole or in part for their own languages. This helps, even if you use it just as a base, since a developed language will be complete; whilst a totally made up one will have oddities and gaps - these gaps might not appear till you get more into writing - at which point you've written yourself into a trap and will have a nightmare getting out

3. Eruthiawen

Eruthiawen New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks!!!!