question about elves/Valinor

Discussion in 'Movies' started by mrtoxic, Jan 7, 2004.

1. mrtoxic

mrtoxic New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Forgive my ignorance as I haven't yet read the books, but why couldn't Arwen take off to Valinor after Aragorn died? Why did she have to roam around Middle Earth forever after that?

It seems that Arwen could hang out with Aragorn for a hundred years or however long he lives, raise their kids, then take off. I heard that Legolas and Gimli sailed off later anyway so there's gotta be at least one more boat.

This way at least she could see Elrond again. What was keeping her from reuniting with the Elves in Valinor?

2. DohHunter

DohHunter Community Defender

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Same as with what happened with Beren and Luthinel (Sp on the last one, sorry don't have a book in front of me).

The elven girl marries/desires the human man........loses her immortality......and is destined to live a long life, albight mortal, until all she knows is dead and gone.

Once she declares this mortality (shown in the movie by her giving the Evenstar to Aragorn in FOTR), Valinor will no longer accept her.

3. Curufeanor

Curufeanor Master Noldori Elvensmith

The Halls of Mandos in Valinor, on my throne where
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    She gave up immortality and Valinor doesn't accept mortals, in other words.

Accept on 3 occasions. Tuor was allowed to go to Valinor with his Elven Bride, but couldn't return to the mortal world. Then, at the end of the Third Age, Frodo and Bilbo were granted leave to Valinor for bearing the One Ring. And then in the Fourth Age, Gimli went with Legolas, cuz the two could not be parted, and Sam went went with them, for bearing the Ring when Frodo was captured by the Orcs.

Last edited: May 30, 2004
  4. isengard111

isengard111 The Master Chief

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Don't foget Earendil, who was half elven. I guess he counts.

5. Elf_Lover

Elf_Lover New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    And Gimli may have also been permitted to go because of his love of Galdriel, and because of her gift to him of her golden hairs.

6. Curufeanor

Curufeanor Master Noldori Elvensmith

The Halls of Mandos in Valinor, on my throne where
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    There was another Elf who gave his immortality--Elros, the brother of Elrond, who became the first Numenorean King, and and is also a direct-ancestor of Aragorn.