Punishing Women Who’s Rights Have Been Taken Away From Them

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Quercus, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Hmm... I don't know about 2nd degree murder measures, 0,5-3 years just seemed enough suffering and discouragement for the ladies. But it is nice to know that this is comparable to 2nd degree punishments.

Nice, I haven't thought about the poor trade of physician. I fairly doubt if any would help in 3rd trimester problems if 1st and 2nd is legal. It could be me, but I always assume the Physician abides by the rules...

I find it very hard to propose a measure for the physician. I think 3 to 18 months imprisonment and permanent loss of the licence to practice a medical profession. It is kind of Hippocratian, I know, but there are certain lines I think a physician should not cross, and third trimester abortion is one of them. Besides, docs really watch out not to lose their license, so that would mean the occurence, if any, would be very low.

Yes sorry, my Swahili isn't that good these days... :D What I mean to say was that I replied in the post directly opposing your statement... As usual.

(yes, I know this is a sidestep, but an interesting one, to my opinion...

I am not talking about free trade, I am talking about medical prescribtion, that is completely different. But, if I may ask... what is "the" problem? Is is people being addicted? the trouble junks cause? People getting addicted?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2004
  2. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Kervorkian and Cider House Rules aside, I think you are generally right.

3. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Well, if it comes down to what punsihment do I think should be given, I am going to have to say that I think it should follow the same guidelines that are(or are not...depends how you look at it)in place for other comparable crimes.

If a woman drinks whilst pregnant and causes an abortion, she is not punished by law. So, being of the mindset that I am, I'm going to say that the same punishment should be given to women who have surgical abortions. None. I can't rightly support a law that takes away choices. Lots of laws are made, most are not strictly enforced. Sad, but true.

4. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Well, that must be a first...

Alcohol use and preganacy don't mix, but there must be one severe hell of a party to drink yourself into abortion. I'd say you'll wind up in the hospital anyway due to alcohol toxification. No, alcohol has a very different, rather unexpected influence on the unborn. Fetal Alcohol Syndrome leads to retarded children with characteristic malformations, especially recognisable in the face. If you'd rather have a handycapted child then a normal child in stead of no child, use alcohol... Or rather, don't!

Normally, self abortion involve long metal objects, such as knitting needles (never trust a knitting lady!) or the well-known coat hanger. Some girls choose to be punched in the stomach... seems to work also. To be honest, I'm not aware of a less painfull self help method...