Prologue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Galido, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Galido

Galido Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is it important to have one or the most writers have it, so me to or why should have it?

I used it. Its 5000 words long, full off action. Because i want that the reader keeps reading :) And also, writing a beginning whitout prologue, ist very difficult for me.

2. c_nebbia

c_nebbia Fantasy Author

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    5000 words! This is almost a short story! Are you REALLY sure you need a prologue that long?
    I see the risk that, when it comes to the real action, the reader is so used to the prologue charachters that he gets confused.
    In my third book I needed a prologue to link it to the second one and to lay the foundation of what was going to happen five years later, the main story.
    I got a prologue twenty two pages long, slow, heavy and boring
    I wrote the entire book and found the prologue was like warming up the car engine for too long without effectively going anywhere.
    So I kept in the prologue the bare minimum, say four pages, boiled down the remaining eighteen to five or six pages and scattered their content in the main body of the story, as short flash backs.
    My advice: leave the prologue as it is, go ahead with your story and then, when you are done, review the prologue.

3. Galido

Galido Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I will explain ;) So, 5000 words. But the first 2 pages, its full off drama. End of a war, with the last sense a very good one :) I have asked to 7-8 personnes for reading the 2 pages and the last senses was the best. It has need it. All the rest buy the way was also good ;) Then we go to the now. I open the story to create a problem, also with actions and dragons. :) You can say, its the first chapter. But for me, the first begins when the main characters arrive. Is it a little bit clear?

4. c_nebbia

c_nebbia Fantasy Author

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well, I wouldn't say the story begins when the main character steps in. In "The Lord of the Rings" the first 100 pages are dedicated to Bilbo and Frodo plays a minor role, but I wouldn't say these are 100 pages of prologue.
    But, at the endo fo the day, what is really important is that the readers like the story.
    Ciao.

5. Galido

Galido Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Offcourse!! but, do you start slowly or with action. Slowly is tricky. The reader can think: a book without anything. And thats a chose why i be afraid starting a story without pologue...

6. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    In my opinion, if the beginning of the book grabs the reader right off and holds them, it doesn't matter whether you label it "prologue" or "chapter one". Either way you've achieved what you needed to do.