Projects You Are Currently Working On

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by Harrison, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Christophe of Grey

Christophe of Grey Cordwainer to Royals

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Gamigar,
    No. I did a quick scan through most of them, but alas I am absent. Or maybe that's a blessing!

2. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Is 5oz. a good thickness for a quiver and vambraces?

3. Christophe of Grey

Christophe of Grey Cordwainer to Royals

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Gamigar,
    5 oz should be OK for the quiver. If by vambrace you mean archer arm guard, OK again. Now for vambrace it depends. If the vambraces are for costume accessory, then 5 oz is good. If, however, you plan to use the vambraces in combat then 5 oz is way too light. You need at least 8 oz, and heavier is better. In this case the vambrace becomes armor and needs to be thick to asborb the blow and dissipate the energy from it.

Now if you are making an archer vambrace, arm guard, from the 5 oz it will be a very comfortable arm guard. You may consider backing it with synthetic sheep's wool which you can get at fabric stores, i.e. JoAnn's. It's not animal origin at all but rather cotton which is good. I find I sweat in mine a bit but with the cotton liner I could sponge it out if it got really nasty. The backing simply affords a bit more padding in case you really smack your arm big time. I personally just like the fit better.

4. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Okay, I've found a really big piece of leather for a really good price but it's 2-4oz. Will that be thick enough?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2004
  5. Gregorius0202

Gregorius0202 The Bronze Warrior

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Ah, glad I stumbled in here:D Currently I'm workin' on... Wow, I've gotten the project list somewhat slimmer, lately! I've been doin' a lot!

I've got a Syrian/Mycenaean style 12th century BC leather helmet in the works. The entire outside is completed, and I need to fit a felt lining to the inside, and I've decided for the rim and to cover the cheek pieces I'm going to use some of my hair-on cowhide, which still have about 30 square feet to work with... After that I'm gong to make a THIN brass rim to go around and secure the top and bottom of that.

Then that baby will be done..!

Christophe, I was also able to put another layer of linseed oil on the Philistinian feather helmet, and it's dark enough for me. Not too dark... But dark enough!

I've recently finished a blow-horn (now I just need to learn how to blow in it!) and have dried wet leather to the front and backsides of it, and it's quite tight. It also has a leather carrying strap to supplement it.

Also completed as of late was a tooled belt (I think I use the same type of little tool Bojangles was describing, it's called an "adjustable groover") as well as a tooled pouch. Nothing historically accurate, really, but I plan on doin' some other stuff soon.

So the next time I go to The Leather factory, I'm getting leather to make my Saxon Huscarle belt, balric, shield guige strap, shield arm straps, as well as a large piece for an egyptian cap, which will be stretched into shape, and hopefully turn out quite nice, and... Oh yeah, a lot of leather to make a Lamellar shirt:D I'm going to cut all of the individual plates, darken and harden them, drill the holes in them, and stitch them to a tough fabric base. It should be the greatest project I've done yet!

Oh, also, I'm going to make a Bronze Age Egyptian quiver using an 8oz base, and then cover it with the cowhide, as well. I'm planning on selling this one, in order to pay for a calf's hair on hide, so I can get a black and white, as the hide I have is dark brown with some grey through it. This is merely to add some flavor to my collection, as I like having things different! I don't want the same hide on everything...

I recently put a cowhide cover of this sort on one of my shields, and it looks awesome. It is unrimmed, and has no guige strap, in accordance with the Medinet Habu, which is an Egyptian scene of battle between the Philistine/Sherdan warrriors and the Egyptians under Rameses the II.

Well, that's about it, for now!

-Gregory-