Private made LOTR swords?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by Baker, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Baker

Baker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey, how's it going?
    I was wondering, what are the chances of a private swordsmith agreeing to recreate a UC LOTR sword (to the exact detail) but making it fully functional with a full tang, tempered spring steel blade, and properly balanced, in essence, it would be completly battle ready, but dimensionally identical to the united cutlery version.
    Would the swordsmith fear being sued by UC, even though he made only one? Or is it possible the
    smith would agree to your private request?

I totally appreciate your input guys, thanks alot for taking the time and satisfying my questions.

2. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Depends on the smith and their views on copyright, which the LOTR swords are. They might want to change something ever so slightly.

Mind you, they would only get sued if you told all and sundry "look at my LOTR sword that THIS GUY made me!" If somehow that got back to New Line Cinemas, they might take action against the smith.

So it depends on the maker and their own personal stance on such things.

3. Baker

Baker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How much do you think a handcrafted LOTR sword (based directly on UC's dimesnions) would cost?
    I'm talking about using high quality materials to create a fully functional weapon, (no stainless steel, or rat-tail tangs here.)
    It pretty much kills me knowing that my UC LOTR swords couldn't so much as hurt a fly. They're overweight, clumsy and delicate, which is needless to say, a pretty bad combination for a sword.

4. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Again, depends on the maker. But I'd guess that level of detail, and a full sized sword....at least USD$1000. Maybe less, maybe way more, possibly more than USD$2000. Depends which sword you wanted. A big wide multi-fullered sword like Boromir's would take a fair bit of work. Aragorn's sword is relatively easy in comparison. Detailed etching with gold inlay like Legolas' blades would be very costly.

5. truths-seeker

truths-seeker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  6. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Hahaha, those are the most blatant copies I've seen so far from a professional maker. Lovely work though. They would be expensive though, long blades in pattern welded/damascus steel would be big bucks. I reckon $2500-$6000 based on other prices on his site.

i do like the bright orangey/brown wood he's used on the Glamdring and Aragorn swords.

7. truths-seeker

truths-seeker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Youch! I didn't notice the prices... I'd have to decide: pay bills for half a year or buy a sword? Unfortunately a sword doesn't put food on the table... or does it??? :p

I must say, I love his version of Longclaw (from the GRRM novels). Much closer to my envisioning that the "official" one.

8. Zziz

Zziz New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Doesn't the owner of this forum also own an LOTR replica business?

9. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    The officially licensed replicas made by United Cutlery, with the permission of New Line Cinemas, are available from many retailers. However they are made from decorative 420J stainless steel, and are unsuitable for combat use.

The OP was asking about having a real "battle-ready" copy made, not a decorative display piece but a true real functioning sword.

10. Baker

Baker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The OP was asking about having a real "battle-ready" copy made, not a decorative display piece but a true real functioning sword.[/QUOTE]

What is OP exactly?

11. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    In this case, the OP is you :) OP is shorthand for Original Poster/Person, or "the original question from the original person", when threads get longer and longer it's easy to forget what the actual question was :)