Poll to end all polls: go man? / go woman?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Druid of Lûhn, Jun 19, 2010.

?

Are men best? or are women best?

1. Men are best

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. Women are best

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. I just don't see the difference...

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  1. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    *flame war alert!*

...actually wait, that's what this entire board is for. never mind :p

2. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

No doubt.
    A fool in the company of fools will always feel at home.

Nice try. While our eventual end is the same, to be returned to the dust, our lives to that point are quite different between the sexes, according to the bible. In addition to death being the wages of sin for both Man and Woman, God has put an extra penalty upon women, they shall exist under the rule of a husband and not be equal participants in the church, or in daily life. That is what scripture states, several times, and in both old and new testaments.

Again, no doubt.
    You have found comfort in a book that tells you that you're loved and will live forever.

3. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Which is the reason atheists hang out together, read each other's works, and admire each other.

Nice try. Men suffer by living in misery, women suffer by living in misery, both die at the end. And compared with death, all other consequences really are incidenal.

Did you actually read what I wrote? If not, try reading it. If you did, try reading it again; clearly you weren't paying attention the first time.

4. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Look Mr atheist apologist, just like what Greybeard has said, God's judgment on both Adam and Eve ARE equal. The only reason why people tend to think Eve's punishment was more severe was due to the fact that if not for her starting the proverbial fire, she wouldn't be the first one in the firing line! Let's just face the truth. The person tempted by Satan wasn't Adam but she herself. But that doesn't mean her judgment was more severe. What God said to her was very simple: Your suffering would be that within the family. For Adam's case, it's actually a hard life born via the need to provide AND survive. In fact this logic actually extended to his duty in providing for Eve as well.

Secondly, the stupidity of atheist apologist lies in the fact that they dunno how to go about translating the Bible even to save their own lives. The CORRECT way to do so is not to see things from 1 single verse, but rather connecting the dots with different verses from different Books as that ONE VITAL line. Of course this is not to say that all atheists are stupid, but then again we don't see the Westboro Baptists talking sense as well. Yes I'm being offensive here. But there's a reason why political incorrectness has never been well received in the society. -.-

And last time I heard, I don't remember Paul giving the husbands the bail-out-for-free card where their wives are concerned. In fact, just as wives should submit to their husbands, the male half have the obligations to love his wife. Simply put, it's a case of responsibility over everything else and the male half really have the harder deal. It's like a simple maths between a given right with responsibility. Long story short: The entire concept of gender equality in the Bible lies in the logic of relevant responsibility and NOT all that bs talk on power and rights. Just to quote a question: Do you think the US president has the power to screw his people while getting away with it?

5. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

Female inferiority is written into the christian bible, you can gloss over it by assigning responsibilities and measuring words, but you can't rewrite the scripture. You need to pull your head out of God's ass and see the light.

"But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God." (I Corinthians 11:3)

"For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man." (I Corinthians 11:8-9)

Tell me the meaning of this pleasant little passage...

... it describes a father who offers his virgin daughter to a drunken mob. When the father says "unto this man do not so vile a thing," he makes clear that sexual abuse should never befall a man (meaning him), yet a woman, even his own flesh and blood, or a concubine belonging to a perfect stranger, can receive punishment from men to do what they wish. After the hours long gang rape of the poor concubine, there is no hint of passion or concern for the raped girl.

Do you two christian yahoos condone such christian behavior, or do you think perhaps the bible is full of shit?

6. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    Did you even READ the book of the Bible from which you took that?? The Bible ITSELF called such an act an ABOMINATION. it is in NO WAY condoned; in fact, if you cared to look at the context in which it was done, you'd see all the acts surrounding it, as well as the act itself, taking place during a time when

7. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I think that the preceeding 5 posts proof that men lose.

and that women come in at a very close second >.>

8. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    ^...wait huh?

9. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    bla bla bla Christianity. Bla bla I am right, you're not. Bla says so in the Bible. Bla.

This sort of talk doesn't plead for your own sex :p

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

So long as the christian women who join in the thread submit to male authority, authority granted us by God himself, than there should be no problems. :):):)

What does the bible say about women who are on the rag?..

Whoa, that sounds nasty.
    This God of yours just doesn't let up on women. It seems like there's one punishment after another... and all for eating an apple.

11. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Hm.

The Bible never agreed with the Red Sea :p

12. Sneakybolt

Sneakybolt Melereb

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    It wasn't an apple. It's just commonly portrayed as such. I'd also like to point out that Adam (who was in charge) was with her the whole time and didn't do jack to stop her.

13. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

Adam was under her dark spell and was thus powerless to stop her. At the time, Eve was wearing a cute halter-top and cut off jeans, a devastating combination if ever there was one.

And whose to say what the forbidden fruit really was... an apple, a pear, a pomegranate... it's only a stupid metaphor for silly halfwits.

14. Hangmountain

Hangmountain New Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I am going to let you guys continue your religious debate in a sec :p First I just have to say in the name of the 60's that we're all equal children of mother earth.

Peace my fellow humans!

and now you can ignore me and talk religion :D

15. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    equal. Yes....

However, some people are created slightly more equal than others. True fact, that ^^

16. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    No, please strike out that last sentence! D:
    One religion's holy book says something (things people like to interpret in many different ways) about the role of men and women. Wow. This thread has turned into a Bible discussion thread. What an achievement, guys.
    Let's just say: Men and women can be equally annoying. And that's about it.

17. Hangmountain

Hangmountain New Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    ok, I take that last sentence back. No one is to ignore me.

I've been thinking about this and maybe what we need to become equal is a tyrant. Some kind of USSR idea mixed with Vetinaris (did I spell that right, to lazy to google it atm) rule in Ankh-Morpork.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  18. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

It's 'Vetinari'... no 's' on the end.

And for the most part women aren't capable of great evil, or great good.
    Both biology and culture seem to have clipped the topmost and bottommost abilities of women.

19. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Just because we live in patriarchal societies?

20. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Women could have been the dominant sex.

... they just always have been too busy labouring children.

No, seriously. Look at Angela Merkel. Or Margareth Thatcher. They might claim some feminin background - but in every-day reality, they're every inch a bloke. Except for those few inches, of course...